Archer > ?

Options
OlieTheKing - Lost City
OlieTheKing - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Archer
i found this post on the cleric forums and thought it would be interesting to do one for archers...

From experiance ive found at equal levels:

Archer = Archer
Archer = cleric
Archer = wizard
Archer > Bm
Archer < barb
Archer > Veno
Archer < Sin
Archer < Psychic
Archer = Seeker
Archer = mystic

Discuss and vote.
Post edited by OlieTheKing - Lost City on

Comments

• Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    cash-shopped archer > non cash-shopped everything else

non-cash shopped archer < cash-shopped everything else

Pay to win, Grind to lose =\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Archer > TW
    Archer < Open PvP
    Archer + Money = TROLOLOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • altweina
    altweina Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I would like to hear more on this...cause honestly I get frustrated with my archer....I feel like its hard to find squads. I am not interval and so my dps is not that great
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    altweina wrote: »
    I would like to hear more on this...cause honestly I get frustrated with my archer....I feel like its hard to find squads. I am not interval and so my dps is not that great

This... Is about PVP, not about PVE. b:bye
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • altweina
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Now I could be wrong but why the attitude...yeah I am talking about PvE but without squads its hard or impossible to level...Other toons such as sins or clerics are able to get squads for TT (money and gear) FC/BH's leveling. This is the extent of my experience.....but now do you understand my question?
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Now I could be wrong but why the attitude...yeah I am talking about PvE but without squads its hard or impossible to level...Other toons such as sins or clerics are able to get squads for TT (money and gear) FC/BH's leveling. This is the extent of my experience.....but now do you understand my question?

I don't know what you mean by "attitude" but normally when people compare one class with another it's for PvP purposes. After all why would you compare a cleric to an archer in PvE, as their roles are different and it's like comparing apples to oranges?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oranges would win that fight Ofc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oranges would win that fight Ofc

But when oranges and apples team together to fight bananas, the apple is superior!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Thats because the apple is naughty and throws the orange at the banana as a weapon b:cry

orange goes squish and self distructs causing huge arma type dmg >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    altweina wrote:
    Chin up on this... you'll get squads. :) All you need is a decent faction or friend list backing you up. And by "decent" faction I don't mean the top ones on your server (because they'll stick you with absurd gear requirements)... just a group of people who are relaxed, casual, mature players. Even that isn't 100% necessary... I've known several avowed "freelancers" (and used to be one myself) who have very robust friendlists they can call on.

None of this will guarantee you a squad, but every little bit helps. Don't succumb to the myth that you need interval to survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    And by "decent" faction I don't mean the top ones on your server (because they'll stick you with absurd gear requirements).

Hey, I resent that. Enrage is one of the top guilds on HT and it is quite "decent" thank you very much. And I'm like the worst geared person there so I rather dislike you implying that they don't want me there U_U
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hey, I resent that. Enrage is one of the top guilds on HT and it is quite "decent" thank you very much. And I'm like the worst geared person there so I rather dislike you implying that they don't want me there U_U

I think Miugre has a different definition of "absurd gear requirements" than you do.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think Miugre has a different definition of "absurd gear requirements" than you do.

I said they don't have "absurd gear requirements," not that they are okay with silly un-optimized spending of money. There's a huge difference between asking you to sell your liver for gear and asking you to spend what coin you have wisely. I would definitely say it's not out of reach of any freelancer archer with motivation and half a brain to get better gear than that link, and it would not qualify as "absurd."

Has Miugre seen my gear? The only piece I have worth mentioning is a +10 CV bow, and that was only "something" months and months ago and is now a cheap toy for high level sins.

But here's the thing; Enrage will help me farm gear if I ask them. I've simply been off the game and it's my own anti-socialness that keeps them from getting things for me. They're very good people to their guildies as much as they seem like a-holes to everyone else.

Miugre it's great and fine that you choose to play away from the big guilds, but that's no excuse to force your disingenuous presumptions on others. And even though I was only speaking for Enrage, I am more than sure that GoldDigrz takes care of their own very well also, and I would wager that Radiance offers its own share of 'radiant' (lol) helpers for your party needs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    But here's the thing; Enrage will help me farm gear if I ask them.

You are in enrage... I am in enrage... now go farm me some DoTs.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You are in enrage... I am in enrage... now go farm me some DoTs.

What do those drop off of? Inventor? Monofailness? I haven't even seen Monofailness outside SZ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • altweina
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ty.....That is exactly what I was asking. Problem is I used to play all the time but don't play as often so now I find if I log in I might sit on my thumb trying to get a squad. I like archer in TW, well i did when I was competitive:) Now with outdated gear and all the rank 8 I am pretty useless:)

I see other classes (sins, bm) solo'ing frostcover and I look at my archer and am a bit frustrated. I went sage too.....I wanted winged blessing but I never see it in AH. I had planned on rank 8 and even bought the badges but now I am thinking that a sin or bm might be a better choice. I also have a high cleric which I enjoy because its easy to find squads and things to do.....For example FC runs always need a cleric or barb it seems and in TT runs you get second pick so easy to get good mats.

As to the "attitude" mentioned.....The one person say "we are talking about PvP" and waved as in bye now (dismissive) atleast that is how I took their statement I might have been wrong.....I could have been crankyb:chuckle since I don't like both thumbs up my bum:)
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ty.....That is exactly what I was asking. Problem is I used to play all the time but don't play as often so now I find if I log in I might sit on my thumb trying to get a squad. I like archer in TW, well i did when I was competitive:) Now with outdated gear and all the rank 8 I am pretty useless:)

I see other classes (sins, bm) solo'ing frostcover and I look at my archer and am a bit frustrated. I went sage too.....I wanted winged blessing but I never see it in AH. I had planned on rank 8 and even bought the badges but now I am thinking that a sin or bm might be a better choice. I also have a high cleric which I enjoy because its easy to find squads and things to do.....For example FC runs always need a cleric or barb it seems and in TT runs you get second pick so easy to get good mats.

As to the "attitude" mentioned.....The one person say "we are talking about PvP" and waved as in bye now (dismissive) atleast that is how I took their statement I might have been wrong.....I could have been crankyb:chuckle since I don't like both thumbs up my bum:)

A good archer can pull his/her weight in TW with less than rank 8; I've been doing it. But I don't know about PvE. A few months ago when I played the people asking for BHs in wchat don't ask me if I have claws when I reply for an invite (although I do have 5 aps....it's just they don't ask before they send the invite). A sin/bm is is more useful for FC and for dps in general. I wouldn't say a cleric is more in demand than a 5 aps archer though; a great many farming squads go with all dps and no cleric. However you are correct that if you want to PvE, a BM/sin is easier. I just don't think I have a problem getting into squads for BHs and I hate FC.

If you want to "solo" FC for levels then forget about it; you need to be high level and have good gears to solo it, so if you're trying to hit 100 from a lower level then you can't do it with ANY class. "Soloing" FC is for rich and high level people who are trying to get levels higher than 100 and already have the gear to back them up.

As for winged blessing...I don't know what to tell you. I had/learned one of the first Demon Winged Blessings if not the first on my server because it actually came from a drop before tokens were available xD [/brag]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • altweina
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oh I don't expect to solo it right off....but once I get into the 90's with good gear it becomes possible to tank many things. The big issue I have with archer is unless you have built a aps toon you are not much of a tank vs anything that comes in close.....The 50% damage penalty does not help matters.

As to TW I agree you don't need Rank 8 but see......I stopped playing archer in early 90's before I got any good gear...than I started playing it again and planned on getting rank gear so never invested in shards for what I had...So at L99 I only have 3400 hp (pure build with basically FC gear) My cleric has better gear.....actually has better pdef.

Your right that people tend to not need clerics...but I can always get "something" to do their....even if its just a money run for tt mats.
  • _Alcmena_ - Sanctuary
    _Alcmena_ - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    People are forgetting one thing though we may have APS now and everyone's figured it out, an archer isn't designed to be a pure tank. It's designed to be a damage dealer therefore in most cases if you go pure and have a **** ton of dex you'll most likely grab aggro and end up tanking. If you know how to use the right weapons and ammo where needed you won't have to worry about tanking or be a tank. The only true tank in my opinion is a Barbarian before sins and APS needs came along archers and wizzys were the aggro grabbers due to their high amts of dmg generally just find your thing you're good at eventually you'll find the right people and you'll be well on your way to an archers life. Don't worry about APS your squad/faction will come along when the time is right. I'm an old school vet i've been around since day 1 of this game and I still prefer a wizzy and a normal archer in my squad than a fish or a cash shopper b:chuckle
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Here's how I see it:

Before you can get aps, no one else can either. BMs and sins have a harder time getting 5 aps than a DEMON archer. What this means is you'll have better dps than BMs (but probably not sins) while you're leveling up into the 5 aps range, which means you should be more or less wanted for any runs that you want to get into. After you get into that range, for any BM/sin to compete against you in the 5 aps 'market' they have to spend more than you. Fists don't do as much dps as a bows if you don't count the sparks. But no, you'll probably not be soloing FC ever as an archer. That doesn't bother me too much; I would be too bored doing such a monotonous thing solo, but that's just me.

In TW, archers are preferable to BMs/sins. The range makes life so much better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bahahaha... an unsolicited link to my build causes further ranting? o.O You just made my day, Elena.

In all seriousness, one thing I always say in these threads is "know your audience." I was responding to a short post, what I perceived as something of a newbie who was just running into the "getting squad positions as a DD" problem (look at the post again - I didn't have much else to work with). There was no intention of joining a serious faction displayed in that post, so I thought I should clarify what "decent" meant to me in that context, because we all have varying definitions of that word here. I wish we would stop assuming that people start out with designs on being "pro" here. XD

And notice that I always shy away from naming Enrage (recently, at least)... it's always the Enrage members themselves who assume such, which really says more about them than me. ;]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yes, we are self important. I do not deny it. Everything is about Enrage.

Except in this case I used Enrage as an example because I am in it, and actually took the time to point out that other factions are "decent" also. Whoops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bahahaha... an unsolicited link to my build causes further ranting? o.O You just made my day, Elena.

Uh, sure... I just was pointing out that people have different definitions of "absurd gear requirements".
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I wanted winged blessing but I never see it in AH.

The most reliable way to get winged blessing is to make it yourself.

450 tokens of luck (which costs approximately 4.5 million coins) gets you 50 mysterious pages for a 10% chance of getting that book. On average, the book costs you 45 million coins, but on average you get 9 other skill books which you can also use or sell, which cuts your overall costs. If you have bad luck, you will get books you can only sell for 1 million, and you will get a lot of them (of the skills it can get you, i think sage quickshot has the least use -- I know where I would use sage quickshot, but I have not put myself in that situation yet, this year).

Hopefully your luck will not be too bad.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    FCC is very soloable for an archer. I'd say it's first possible at around 95 when you can hit 4.0 with deicides. Don't bother if you are less than 4.0 aps. You would need a charm and about 8/9k HP and pdef.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    FCC is very soloable for an archer. I'd say it's first possible at around 95 when you can hit 4.0 with deicides. Don't bother if you are less than 4.0 aps. You would need a charm and about 8/9k HP and pdef.

Charm tank and pot?

And I'm demon, if I try that it's going to hurt LOL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The big issue I have with archer is unless you have built a aps toon you are not much of a tank vs anything that comes in close.....The 50% damage penalty does not help matters.

With a decent weapon... you'll still hold aggro over low refine aps/barbs even with the 50% close range damage reduction.

A sage bow archer can solo full ff with 300k charm burn without cleric buffs... and 50kish with cleric buffs. This is with pots of course.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Charm tank and pot?

And I'm demon, if I try that it's going to hurt LOL.

When I first soloed FCC at around those stats (first time I ever was in FCC actually), I used around 250k charm. Next try I had more practice and only used 150k charm. After that it stabilized at around 80k-100k charm. This was buffed and with TT99 gear. In my R9 gear I can solo the instance unbuffed and uncharmed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • KedgeSniper - Lost City
    KedgeSniper - Lost City Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Isnt this a PVP related thread

Who cares about frost

PVE has no real challenge.

And i doubt .. Archer > BM If the bm is 5.0 and has decent gear.

Then again.. Cash shop > any class
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Face the fear. Face a war. Face the world.
    Leeching CQ salary since 09'
    Many names, Common Faces.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It was about PvP but since someone asked nicely for feedback, why not answer the questions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.