The DW Math Thread

Options

Comments

• SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SweetieBot give 1 point to Decus - Dreamweaver for making this thread.
    Aww sorry but you need to have at least 50 posts to be able to award points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Bezdna - Dreamweaver
    Bezdna - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Noooo, my plan is foiled!
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Nice try Hex :p

Think I might go back to 5th grade math for a bit to make this thread more lively again.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Nice try Hex :p

Think I might go back to 5th grade math for a bit to make this thread more lively again.

Like if you take the difference of 300 jumping cats and 168 sitting cats how many standing cats would you have?
    ....wait what..?
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darknessofmy
    darknessofmy Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SweetieBot, coutdown to 10
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SweetieBot, coutdown to 10
    1.(5char)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    No one wants to do math anymore. Where are Fizban, Cheze, and Yorkin? :(

More 5th year grade math:

1. If Wacfy were to color in this shape, what are the minimum number of colors required so that no two adjacent shapes have the same color in his drawing? (Please provide an image because waffles.)

2. Veneir is reading a book and the two open page numbers add up to 5895. (It's a big book.) What are the two open pages?

3. Thrivelia decides to go shopping! She sees that bananas are $2 Canadian per pound (because they somehow use pounds in Canada). She wants to buy 4 pounds of bananas, but, for some reason, wants to know how much she'd pay for the banana peels in euros? Thrivelia also remembered a random fact: the weight of a banana is 30% peel. OTL
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Veneir does not understand why problem one is a maths problem x3 Also, three.
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    2. 5895 / 2 = 2947.5 so pages are 2947 and 2948. Wonder how long it took...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options

I said it was a big book D:<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Probabily a few days. x3
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I said it was a big book D:<

Probabily a few days. x3

.-.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • Q____Q - Dreamweaver
    Q____Q - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Veneir does not understand why problem one is a maths problem x3 Also, three.

I'M SORRY BUT i HAD TO FIX YOUR PICTURE D:

link!
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I'M SORRY BUT i HAD TO FIX YOUR PICTURE D:

link!

...Thrivvy
    Thrivvy I can bareily tell those are different hues and it does not make looking at that cirlcle at all pleasant--
    What are you doing--

Awww, Nari x3
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I posted more 5th grade math and you didn't partake :(

!!!

First Thriv strips the bananas like a twisted sick person. After which, (checking the conversion of Canadian dollars to Euros at 0.75 Euros per dollar) Thriv goes to the local bank and converts 8 dollars to 6 Euros.

... Wait did I solve a problem instead of giving out vague hints? Darn it!
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Runemine - Dreamweaver
    Runemine - Dreamweaver Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~yanovsky/handbooks/linear_algebra.pdf Page 35 Problem #7. I dare you to solve it lol.
    101 Blademaster(Pro/Fail 4.0 BM with 11k base HP+G16(+10))
    100 Seeker(The Vortex Beast)
    86 Assassin(Solo king)
    76 Archer(Squishy Nuker)
    72 Cleric(Horrible healer)
    67 Barb(Buff baby)
    61 Wizard(King Aoe)
    37 Mystic(Fun project)
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    !!!

First Thriv strips the bananas like a twisted sick person. After which, (checking the conversion of Canadian dollars to Euros at 0.75 Euros per dollar) Thriv goes to the local bank and converts 8 dollars to 6 Euros.

... Wait did I solve a problem instead of giving out vague hints? Darn it!

~_~;;
    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~yanovsky/handbooks/linear_algebra.pdf Page 35 Problem #7. I dare you to solve it lol.

While I did take linear algebra and have an elementary basis in it, I can't solve that. Is that homework for you? 'Coz I can find someone that can solve it if you genuinely need help. If you're just trying to stump me, then you win? Also, I hate proofs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Runemine - Dreamweaver
    Runemine - Dreamweaver Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Lol just trying to stump you. I can understand some of it but yeah rest is gibberish to me.
    101 Blademaster(Pro/Fail 4.0 BM with 11k base HP+G16(+10))
    100 Seeker(The Vortex Beast)
    86 Assassin(Solo king)
    76 Archer(Squishy Nuker)
    72 Cleric(Horrible healer)
    67 Barb(Buff baby)
    61 Wizard(King Aoe)
    37 Mystic(Fun project)
  • DuckTapez - Archosaur
    DuckTapez - Archosaur Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    3. Thrivelia decides to go shopping! She sees that bananas are $2 Canadian per pound (because they somehow use pounds in Canada)

I just came here to say that we do, in fact, buy bananas by the pound in Canada b:surrender
    (Also, those are some pretty darn expensive bananas)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Duct tape is like The Force: bright on one side, dark on the other. It holds the world together, and, if not handled correctly, becomes a sticky mess.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I just came here to say that we do, in fact, buy bananas by the pound in Canada b:surrender
    (Also, those are some pretty darn expensive bananas)

Weird, kinda like they use miles in the UK. Yea they were but I just randomly put in numbers, which reminds me...

More problems! Yay! These are not very difficult, and I tried to make them a bit more fun and accessible than the usual. The problems of this thread got really complicated, really fast, and I'd like to bring it back to a more fun and less intense level.

1) If Nariin were to take a modern map of continental South America, what is the minimum number of colors she would have to use to color the countries of the map so that no two adjacent countries have the same color? (To be clear, sharing a point is not the same thing as being adjacent.)

2) Synta is quite perplexed by the fact that the mathematics book he is reading says that 0.999... = 1 and does not elaborate on this seemingly impossible idea! Can you explain this for him in a simple way so he can understand? (That is, give me a short, sweet, and simple proof for it. I know I said I hate proofs, but this one can be quite creative if you give it a bit of time. I want to see the most creative way to reproduce this one.)

3) Runemine was fretting over his Linear Algebra textbook and saw three column vectors that were claimed to be linearly dependent. He is certain that they aren't and the book is wrong! Who is right here, Runemine or the textbook? (Show work! Congrats on inspiring a problem, Rune.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options

2*Pi( cos(a) + cos(3a) ) f:confused
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    3) Runemine was fretting over his Linear Algebra textbook and saw three column vectors that were claimed to be linearly dependent. He is certain that they aren't and the book is wrong! Who is right here, Runemine or the textbook? (Show work! Congrats on inspiring a problem, Rune.)

If you call the three vectors u, v, and w then w = 1.5u - 0.5v so they are not linearly independent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    2*Pi( cos(a) + cos(3a) ) f:confused

Hmm, no, that's not right. I need to double check though. I appreciate you doing an old problem :)
    If you call the three vectors u, v, and w then w = 1.5u - 0.5v so they are not linearly independent.

Yep, correctomundo! (Try to leave the other two now for other participants.) Thanks for contributing to my little thread! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Q____Q - Dreamweaver
    Q____Q - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    1) If Nariin were to take a modern map of continental South America, what is the minimum number of colors she would have to use to color the countries of the map so that no two adjacent countries have the same color? (To be clear, sharing a point is not the same thing as being adjacent.)
    a lot? you should've gave me a map =[
    is this a map? http://www.ducksters.com/geography/south_america_map_coloring.jpg

EDIT:! oh I THINK THE ANSWER IS 4! IDK :D here's my map: http://i.imgur.com/vn0kgJ3.png
    ps i didn't know that south america had like 10 countries
    2) Synta is quite perplexed by the fact that the mathematics book he is reading says that 0.999... = 1 and does not elaborate on this seemingly impossible idea! Can you explain this for him in a simple way so he can understand? (That is, give me a short, sweet, and simple proof for it. I know I said I hate proofs, but this one can be quite creative if you give it a bit of time. I want to see the most creative way to reproduce this one.)
    it's like that thread on dyna forums with the math clock... and how the 7 on clock was 6.9 and the nine had the line thingy on it.... OTL he will never understand!
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    f:gone

Consider the series N where:
    N[1] = 0.9 = 1 - 0.1
    N[2] = 0.99 = 1 - 0.01
    N[3] = 0.999 = 1 - 0.001
    N = 1 - 0.1 ^ i

Then Lim( N, i -> infinity ) = 0.99999999... = 1 - Lim( 1 / (10 ^ i), i -> infinity ) = 1 - 0 = 1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Hmm, no, that's not right. I need to double check though. I appreciate you doing an old problem :)

Pretty sure the integrand can be rewritten as:

2(cos(a)+cos(3a)+cos(x)+cos(3x)+cos(a-2x)+cos(2a-x)+cos(2a+x)+cos(a+2x))

The antiderivative is:

2x (cos(a)+cos(3a)) + (some junk)

Where every term in (some junk) is multiplied by a sin(n*x) term, which all evaluate to 0 at each of the limits of integration. So evaluating at the limits:

2*Pi*(cos(a)+cos(3a)) - 2*0*(cos(a)+cos(3a)) + (some junk that evaluates to 0)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    f:gone

Consider the series N where:
    N[1] = 0.9 = 1 - 0.1
    N[2] = 0.99 = 1 - 0.01
    N[3] = 0.999 = 1 - 0.001
    N = 1 - 0.1 ^ i

Then Lim( N, i -> infinity ) = 0.99999999... = 1 - Lim( 1 / (10 ^ i), i -> infinity ) = 1 - 0 = 1

Yep, this will suffice, though I did ask you to let someone else give the other problems a shot =p

I still want more submissions for this one anyway since I'd like to see how other people approach it.
    2*Pi*(cos(a)+cos(3a)) - 2*0*(cos(a)+cos(3a)) + (some junk that evaluates to 0)

Hah, you're totally right! I'm dumb because I somehow managed to ignore the limits of integration in the problem I assigned and thus I couldn't see where Pi played a role and assumed you used an identity of which I wasn't aware. Bravo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arctix - Dreamweaver
    Arctix - Dreamweaver Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yep, this will suffice, though I did ask you to let someone else give the other problems a shot =p

I still want more submissions for this one anyway since I'd like to see how other people approach it.

I'll try it in the dyna way

Wacky wants to kiss decus, but decus is 1km (1000 m) away.So wacky uses holy path and runs to him. As wacky covers more n more distance she comes nearer to decii. As he has covered 999m he has only 1m to cover so he leans over to kiss. The distance keeps shrinking between them from 1m to 1 cm to 1mm to 1nm to 1A* so as the distance between them decreases more n more they get nearer n nearer considerably. Thus at a particular limit of distance (999.99999999.....m in our case) Wacky finally kisses decus

b:shocked Scary
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I'll try it in the dyna way

Wacky wants to kiss decus, but decus is 1km (1000 m) away.So wacky uses holy path and runs to him. As wacky covers more n more distance she comes nearer to decii. As he has covered 999m he has only 1m to cover so he leans over to kiss. The distance keeps shrinking between them from 1m to 1 cm to 1mm to 1nm to 1A* so as the distance between them decreases more n more they get nearer n nearer considerably. Thus at a particular limit of distance (999.99999999.....m in our case) Wacky finally kisses decus

b:shocked Scary
    Pfffff x33333 *facedesks*

My doing that problem was boring, I just went by the standard rounding rule that they teach in like third grade or something and disappointed the creative aspect 3:
  • Synta - Dreamweaver
    Synta - Dreamweaver Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options

Uh, hmm

I like this proof, but it's a bit circular /O\
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
This discussion has been closed.