I take issue with PWI and TW bidding

AlegnaEP - Raging Tide
AlegnaEP - Raging Tide Posts: 18 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Tell me how it is fair that we get only ONE bid on a territory, and you cannot bid on another even after you are outbid for your first choice?

Tell me how you earned my 150,000 without refunding it, if we weren't the highest bidder? We got NOTHING for that coin!

Tell me how bidding on my second choice is not allowed, as you say I can only start one war a week? If I was't the highest bidder anymore on my first choice, what war did I start to keep me from the alternate bid? You really need to think this through.

Tell me why you have NO information for a person on whether or not they took the bid during the entire 24 hour period??

PWI I think you really need to give value for the buck, or we will stop spending ANY money on such ripoffs.

You already make a lot off of the game purchases, you need to STEAL from players too?
Great Spirits have always encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds. ~Albert Einstein
Post edited by AlegnaEP - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Yea the bidding system sucks, but the chances of them changing it I'm thinking is pretty slim, they want a money sink, and this is it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    They need a coin sink... badly. Really, really badly. As noted above this is it.

Want a sure-fire shot at war? Don't bid low... bid the max allowed (and be the first to make that bid).

I think they should just simply do away with "highest bidder" and make the bid fee a flat 2m coin then conver to "first bidder," and have it NOT take your coins if you're not first (e.g., "Sorry you cannot bid as this territory has already been bid on." but you keep your 2m).
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Which doesnt make sense to me....no refund on TW bid isnt going to create a coin sink, when they keep having these dumb pack sales releasing tons of BoL tokens every 5-10 minutes.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about how we missed the TW bid wars of olden days, was very entertaining.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Dimitrik - Dreamweaver
    Dimitrik - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I came to this thread expecting some whine-fest, which I then would likely have responded with something snarky. I'm usually supporting PWI, see.

Color me surprised.

Now, I'll openly admit I've never done TW, but I'm straight up shocked to see how poorly the bidding is being handled. So I find myself siding with the original poster, here. When we encounter something annoying (such as the Duke spamming the Hell out of us constantly), we can usually figure out the developers' reason for it, even if we disagree with it.

But this seems really wrong, even from an economical perspective. I sincerely hope they adjust this. That's... really just unfair.
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    no refund on TW bid isnt going to create a coin sink, when they keep having these dumb pack sales releasing tons of BoL tokens every 5-10 minutes.

That's pretty much the point, if they took out the best luck tokens, then it would actually die down the huge money influx that each server is getting day by day, but then PWE will lose out on some money, cant have that now can we.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    They need a coin sink... badly. Really, really badly. As noted above this is it.

Want a sure-fire shot at war? Don't bid low... bid the max allowed (and be the first to make that bid).

I think they should just simply do away with "highest bidder" and make the bid fee a flat 2m coin then conver to "first bidder," and have it NOT take your coins if you're not first (e.g., "Sorry you cannot bid as this territory has already been bid on." but you keep your 2m).
    That would be horrendously unfair to guilds whose leader isn't able to be online when bidding starts.

@ OP, just bid 200mil everytime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited March 2011

This +1.

Bidding only 150k on a land, especially right after map reset, is about the stupidest thing you can do. Bid at least 500k (a lot more if it's a highly sought over land) or you're probably not gonna get the bid.

The TW bidding system acts as a coin sink and as a deterrent to fake bidding. It works very well now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    And yea, seriously.

The map was JUST reset, every wanna-be factor guild is scrambling to snatch up easy land before the big factions take it away, and dozens upon dozens of guilds aiming to get land, and you only bid 150k?

You should be bidding at least 5 mil for the next month or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    That would be horrendously unfair to guilds whose leader isn't able to be online when bidding starts.

If you bid 200m when bidding first starts, isn't that the same as what I'd suggested (I got the max fee wrong and said 2m but I meant "max" whatever that is; presumably 200m).
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    If you bid 200m when bidding first starts, isn't that the same as what I'd suggested (I got the max fee wrong and said 2m but I meant "max" whatever that is; presumably 200m).

Very few guilds on this version have the money to 200mil every single week. 2mil though? Not that hard. ijs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    Umm... It's actually very uncommon for someone to bid 200mil at all. Especially with no return.

Bidding 200mil at the start is very uncommon and not many guilds have the funds to do so, and d even fewer are willing to do so. Where as bidding 2mil at the start isn't that many coins and almost any guild can and would be iwllign to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlegnaEP - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    I didn't mean to come on create a whine fest.

I was, and still am, angry at what I see as a way for PWI to steal huge amounts of coins on a weekly basis from unsuspecting players, and let only the rich players have most of the fun.

I read the wiki first, but it is unclear what to expect or how the "bidding" actually works. It was my first time here in PWI bidding for TW.

I used to play in PW MS (Europe server, now gone since last October) and our guild leader on that version just took care of this for us all each week. I had no idea then what she was up against.

Our Guild thought it was ready for a TW, we saw an open terra one week out from the reset, and following what I thought I understood on how to bid, I took an opening shot at it. It is unclear in the wiki that it is your first, last, and only bid. It is also unclear that if you are successful at the bid, even if you lose the bid to a subsequent bidder, the coin is just gone. The wiki gives the impression that only the winning bid is forfeit.

I will not make this mistake next week, if we as a group decide to participate at all.

I am certainly not surprised to hear that some (but not many) guilds can afford millions of coins a week at a blind bid for war.

It also isn't surprising to me now, why the entire map is owned by one or two guilds in a relatively short period of time. It all boils down to buying land, not earning it. At least our guild knows this now.
    Great Spirits have always encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds. ~Albert Einstein
  • AlegnaEP - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    And yea, seriously.

The map was JUST reset, every wanna-be factor guild is scrambling to snatch up easy land before the big factions take it away, and dozens upon dozens of guilds aiming to get land, and you only bid 150k?

You should be bidding at least 5 mil for the next month or so.

The point was, we did not know it was our only bid. and 5 mil a week, every week will destroy our guild. We worked hard to get several million coins in the bank.

If I had known it was my ONLY bid I would have waited to the end and bid higher. This was not clear in the wiki. I knew my opening bid was too low, but had NO idea it was my last bid.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I didn't mean to come on create a whine fest.

I was, and still am, angry at what I see as a way for PWI to steal huge amounts of coins on a weekly basis from unsuspecting players, and let only the rich players have most of the fun.

I read the wiki first, but it is unclear what to expect or how the "bidding" actually works. It was my first time here in PWI bidding for TW.

I used to play in PW MS (Europe server, now gone since last October) and our guild leader on that version just took care of this for us all each week. I had no idea then what she was up against.

Our Guild thought it was ready for a TW, we saw an open terra one week out from the reset, and following what I thought I understood on how to bid, I took an opening shot at it. It is unclear in the wiki that it is your first, last, and only bid. It is also unclear that if you are successful at the bid, even if you lose the bid to a subsequent bidder, the coin is just gone. The wiki gives the impression that only the winning bid is forfeit.

I will not make this mistake next week, if we as a group decide to participate at all.

I am certainly not surprised to hear that some (but not many) guilds can afford millions of coins a week at a blind bid for war.

It also isn't surprising to me now, why the entire map is owned by one or two guilds in a relatively short period of time. It all boils down to buying land, not earning it. At least our guild knows this now.

I think you're being pretty ****ing stupid, trying to say TW boils down to buying land and not earning it. 80 some faction members walk into the bigger TWs, sometimes multiple times a weekend, in order to fight for their land and to keep it. Some people get up at odd hours of the night in order to participate. Coordinators plan for hours on setting up squads and formations. Obviously you know none of this, so I suggest you **** and stop QQing about your 150k
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Mendy__ - Sanctuary
    Mendy__ - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I think you're being pretty ****ing stupid, trying to say TW boils down to buying land and not earning it. 80 some faction members walk into the bigger TWs, sometimes multiple times a weekend, in order to fight for their land and to keep it. Some people get up at odd hours of the night in order to participate. Coordinators plan for hours on setting up squads and formations. Obviously you know none of this, so I suggest you **** and stop QQing about your 150k

+1 <3

Quilypoo have my babiessssssss!
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The point was, we did not know it was our only bid. and 5 mil a week, every week will destroy our guild. We worked hard to get several million coins in the bank.

If I had known it was my ONLY bid I would have waited to the end and bid higher. This was not clear in the wiki. I knew my opening bid was too low, but had NO idea it was my last bid.

when the guild i'm in made our bids this week and last, we had the advantage of social connections --- friends and current/former guildmates who've moved on to (or come from) serious TW guilds, who we milked ruthlessly for advice and hints on how to bid. it was still two huge leaps in the dark, because the situation after a map reset was such a total unknown to everybody, and we still lost this week's bid. even just the user interface of the TW bidding system was a complete unknown to us, and had us confused and worried both times.

hint: TW in general seems to be something of an in-group thing, with the serious TW guilds being the in-group you want to have friends in even just to dabble in PvE TWing. it was still enormous fun --- i'm even looking forward to our PvP war this sunday --- and i wish they'd reset the map on a schedule of some sort to make the experience more available. perhaps every year, year and a half, or so?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Coins have been grossly devalued by the price of gold. Can't even get crafted items (or drops) from ah or cat shops for reasonable prices. Why on earth do they need to take coins from the TW bidders too? They take a % of coins from people buying and selling on the AH and gold trade, also. The higher the price, the more coins get taken in the form of a "fee". There are TONS of coin sinks in this game... far more than are needed... ESPECIALLY given the lack of value the coin has now.

I don't do TW, but I do support the OP on this. That's just plain stupid.

*adds TW bidding to list of Stupid PW stuff*
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    Stuff

Congratulations. You've figured out the secret of TW bidding: bid the most and you win. It has always been that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    ZeaKuro - Raging Tide Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    TW is meant for end game, so expect it to be expensive. Even if you get min bid on a land the cost of the TW itself is quite a bit. If you can't afford to drop 5mil as a min bid then how do expect to pay for cata, towers, charms+pots, and repairs?

Now as a few people in this thread have mentioned, the old TW bidding system was quite different. In that system you could see amounts bid, you were refunded if outbid, and you could bid again. Unfortunately some factions were abusing this system to make fake bids which was why it was changed. I do agree that they needed to do something to stop fake bids, however I don't think breaking the bidding system was the way to go about it. PWI mentioned in a previous post when they revamped the previously revamped TW system that they may work on the bidding eventually, but don't look forward to that being anytime soon.

I myself have not been outbid yet, and I have no plans on being outbid.
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    1. One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
    synonyms: murderer, killer, gunman, executioner, informalhitman, hired gun.
    Latin assassnus; Greek δολοφόνος
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Coins have been grossly devalued by the price of gold. Can't even get crafted items (or drops) from ah or cat shops for reasonable prices. Why on earth do they need to take coins from the TW bidders too? They take a % of coins from people buying and selling on the AH and gold trade, also. The higher the price, the more coins get taken in the form of a "fee". There are TONS of coin sinks in this game... far more than are needed... ESPECIALLY given the lack of value the coin has now.

if there were enough coin sinks in the game, then pretty much by definition coins would not be ridiculously devalued. that's what coin sinks do, reduce the amounts of in-game coin so that the coins remaining are proportionately worth more.

if there's a problem, it's that we have way too many (and too effective) GOLD sinks, inflating the price of gold relative to coin. but this is only a problem to us players; PWE, i'm sure, thinks it's a solution to whatever corporate bottom-line problems they may have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
    edited March 2011
    TW is meant for end game, so expect it to be expensive. Even if you get min bid on a land the cost of the TW itself is quite a bit. If you can't afford to drop 5mil as a min bid then how do expect to pay for cata, towers, charms+pots, and repairs?

I myself have not been outbid yet, and I have no plans on being outbid.

That doesn't even make sense...

It never makes sense when people ask: "How to do you expect to pay for XXX when you can't afford ---?"

Maybe because XXX costs less than --- and is actually more important!!!

The difference between buying food or buying a book when you only have $10.00 and are starving.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011

It never makes sense when people ask: "How to do you expect to pay for XXX when you can't afford ---?"

The difference between buying food or buying a book when you only have $10.00 and are starving.

Well, say you manage to get the money together to get a TW bid. Then once you are on the battlefield you are going to need coin to pull catas, coin to build towers, and gear up your members with apoth pots/charms, barbs are going to have some good repair bills. If you are complaining about the bid being so much then what do you plan on doing when you do get a chance at TW?

And food is useless, buy gold instead.
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    1. One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
    edited March 2011
    Well, say you manage to get the money together to get a TW bid. Then once you are on the battlefield you are going to need coin to pull catas, coin to build towers, and gear up your members with apoth pots/charms, barbs are going to have some good repair bills. If you are complaining about the bid being so much then what do you plan on doing when you do get a chance at TW?

And food is useless, buy gold instead.

I wasn't talking about food in the game. It was a metaphor... real food vs a real book.

And in the event that you were saying that 'real' food is useless and to buy gold instead... you have a serious problem!

As for getting a chance to do TW... I CHOOSE to never do TW because I don't enjoy PVP. I was originally just supporting the OP, but that "if you can't afford... how can you afford..." just got my goat. It sounds too much like a rich persons attitude toward someone who doesn't have as much. Looking down his nose at the poorer person. And I am seeing far too much of that in PWI now. It's sick!
  • Lolomgwtfbbq - Lost City
    Lolomgwtfbbq - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2011

dumbest post ive ever read....its her fault for bidding so dam low for one and two if there barely scraping up a few mill they cant afford the coin per tower or the catapult scrolls for there barbs wtf does buying a book or food have to do with thsi game ijs...keep ur *** azz analogy off QQ topics
    edited March 2011
    dumbest post ive ever read....its her fault for bidding so dam low for one and two if there barely scraping up a few mill they cant afford the coin per tower or the catapult scrolls for there barbs wtf does buying a book or food have to do with thsi game ijs...keep ur *** azz analogy off QQ topics

Can we say METAPHOR?

Two words for you, hang mans style...

_ _ _ _

_ _ _!
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    +1 QQ threads are for trolls.
    I wasn't talking about food in the game. It was a metaphor... real food vs a real book.

And in the event that you were saying that 'real' food is useless and to buy gold instead... you have a serious problem!

As for getting a chance to do TW... I CHOOSE to never do TW because I don't enjoy PVP. I was originally just supporting the OP, but that "if you can't afford... how can you afford..." just got my goat. It sounds too much like a rich persons attitude toward someone who doesn't have as much. Looking down his nose at the poorer person. And I am seeing far too much of that in PWI now. It's sick!

And I was talking about real food. I can either spend $10 a day at work for lunch or I can skip lunch and buy gold. It is an excuse for dieting.

I'm not looking down on them for not affording it. My faction was built from the ground up, I have been in the position of not having the money/levels/resources needed for end game things such as TW. Yet when I wasn't ready for it yet I didn't QQ about it, I simply worked harder to reach my goal. Bottom line is if they're not ready for it they have no buisness there.
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    edited March 2011
    +1 QQ threads are for trolls.

And I was talking about real food. I can either spend $10 a day at work for lunch or I can skip lunch and buy gold. It is an excuse for dieting.

I'm not looking down on them for not affording it. My faction was built from the ground up, I have been in the position of not having the money/levels/resources needed for end game things such as TW. Yet when I wasn't ready for it yet I didn't QQ about it, I simply worked harder to reach my goal. Bottom line is if they're not ready for it they have no buisness there.

Everyone in this game has a right to be wherever they want to be and try any of the different activities at any time. The dev's did not put any restrictions on who can participate in what. The OP was not complaining about being outbid, his complaint was that, unlike the AH, his bid was not returned to him when he was outbid. I was, and still am, supporting his objection to that issue.

As for real food vs buying gold... then you do have a serious problem, even if you're not hungry or you want to diet. Real life issues should ALWAYS come before games. One day you may find that you really need something (medication, for instance), but it is too late, because you spent your last $10.00 on zen.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Everyone in this game has a right to be wherever they want to be and try any of the different activities at any time. The dev's did not put any restrictions on who can participate in what. The OP was not complaining about being outbid, his complaint was that, unlike the AH, his bid was not returned to him when he was outbid. I was, and still am, supporting his objection to that issue.

As for real food vs buying gold... then you do have a serious problem, even if you're not hungry or you want to diet. Real life issues should ALWAYS come before games. One day you may find that you really need something (medication, for instance), but it is too late, because you spent your last $10.00 on zen.

This +9000

Obviously, people do not understand the meaning and value of money, if they are giving up their meals for virtual property. I pity those, tbh. Perhaps when you grow older, and experience hardships in the future, you will realize how important it is to spend your money wisely.

Whatever tho, starve yourself to make you look 'cool' on the internet. Apparently, your parents went wrong somewhere in raising you. b:bye
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011

1. If you would of read my initial post in this thread you would see I supported the OP in saying that they bidding system needs to be fixed. I was simply stating that if they were having problems getting together funds for bids then they will have some problems actually doing the TW.

2. If the devs didn't put any restrictions on who can do what why can't I do Nirvana?

3. You are you and I am me. I work for a living, I manage myself just fine. If I am able to balance myself out to get things that I want then what is the problem if the thing that I want is PWI gold?
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    This +9000

Obviously, people do not understand the meaning and value of money, if they are giving up their meals for virtual property. I pity those, tbh. Perhaps when you grow older, and experience hardships in the future, you will realize how important it is to spend your money wisely.

Whatever tho, starve yourself to make you look 'cool' on the internet. Apparently, your parents went wrong somewhere in raising you. b:bye

It is called money management. When you grow up and get a job you will learn it. I didn't say I give up all my meals, lunch to me is when I lift weights at the gym where I work. I have extra money from not eating during that time.
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.