3x xp

Options
124»

Comments

• FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    FiDollaYou - Sanctuary Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    What I'm about to say is just my take on things, and as such, there's no real tangible evidence.

Before we were indulged in hypers, oracles, 2x exp weeks every other week and all that jazz, players still wanted to hit 9x and 10x. Big factions still recruited the same group of 9x for TW/FC/TT. That hasn't changed, and never will. It's only natural that factions want to hire the best.

However, the catch is this. People couldn't advance very far without learning their class. If you wanted to level fast, you needed to be efficient. You needed to keep yourself alive, and you needed to keep your squad alive. It was that, that compelled, that forced people to learn their class.

Simply put, whether a player wanted to get better or not was irrelevant. The game forced them to be competent or be stuck dying over and over with very limited progress.

However, with the introduction of all the levelling aids, the need to be a competent player has diminished, and they could jump directly to their goals of hitting 9x.

To summarize, before, players needed to be good to hit high levels. Now, they just have to be able to afford hypers - the neverending 2x events, hypers, oracles skip the competency test and jump right to the end results.

Couldn't agree more. However:

1. Accelerated XP gain and the means to level quickly are here to stay. Like it or not, as long as people are willing to pay for hypers, oracles, etc., PWI will continue to sell them.

2. As you noted, the Darwinist roadblocks to outleveling one's playing skills have all but disappeared.

3. The incentive to reach end-game levels as quickly as possible, while it may have always been there, is now ACHIEVABLE due to 1 and 2 above.

So, you can complain about it and accept it, or you can make an attempt at trying to change it in at least a small way. It really is up to you.
  • Arshies - Sanctuary
    Arshies - Sanctuary Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Is it any wonder that we want to race to "end-game"?As for "Oracle Newb Syndrome" (which I take to mean anyone that has out-leveled his knowledge of and ability to play his class): why don't I ever see any high-levels offering in WC to take a bunch of lowbies into level-appropriate dungeons to teach them squad roles and mechanics, and teach them their class?
    Why don't I ever see any of the major TW factions offering to groom the next generation of players?
    Aside from the "Billy Bob Barbarian and Cathy Cleric doing FB19-FB59. Whisper me" WC, how come I never see any offers by veterans to help us lowbies become better high-level players?
    How come most of the factions with experienced players spam WC with "Faction A recruiting 80+ for TW/etc"?
    Maybe we'd be less likely to want to race to end-game if the game was more fun and had more variety at mid-levels. Maybe this would be more likely to happen if veterans would teach us lowbies a bit rather than simply complaining about how we "don't know our class". Maybe we'd salivate less at the prospect of 3x XP if it wasn't so all-fired important to get to a high enough level to be "accepted" by the existing veterans. And maybe, just maybe, the quality of the players now getting to higher levels would improve...

Not sure when and why this turned into a "me against the veterans" thread, but if I did that I'm sorry. Never intended to do so, and I'd rather we put that to rest right now.

Here is when you started...... We are just argueing why people should learn to play in-game not squading a lv90+ at a bhX to teach you how to avoid Aoe's attack or how to tank bosses.
    This sounds like we are forced to teach all in-game low level.......
    The point I was trying to make initially is that there ARE people out there who would appreciate the help. I simply noted that, as I leveled and played, I never even saw any attempts by high-levels to do anything BUT tag-along FBs. I didn't see any high-levels even TRY to give advice, or pointers, or tips, or...

You can easy recognice this kind of players, they are interested to learn, they ask to you, they try to learn from you, they read guides if you told they are good ones to learn, the told you what they do if was failed or succesfull and try to argue with you why, but has a low in-game percentage from this players.

Try this, you are a veteran high level, Are you gonna try to explain how game works to every in-game low level player you find?
    The few times I did squad with a veteran, rather than explain why certain things should be done, he simply ordered people around. Rather than trying to teach, he appeared to be interested only in ensuring a hassle-free, very fast, min-maxed BH or TT run.

Has you ever tryed to ask they about why they ordered that? Low levels used to invite high levels player just for this reason faster bh's, TT and the less effort, again they dont wanna learn and never ask the reason about why this is and why this not. I cant know that you want to learn if you dont ask me.
    I understand that these particular players may have been burned out on trying the teaching-mode route, and simply wanted to get the job done. But, and this is important, this attitude combined with all of the "XXX Recruiting 90+ for TW/FC/TT..." WC spam is a large part of the reason that most people WANT to race to the top.

Unitl I saw, the mostly people just want join those faction because they want to join a TW's faction, they think are gonna turn rich people for join a TW faction and do TW's, they just want a important faction name above his heads. And when another new strongest faction has raised they will left the faction with a really bad excuse to join the new TW big faction.
    I've said it before, give the lowbies a good reason to stay at lower levels for a while and learn their classes more fully, and they probably will. Keep giving them more of an incentive to race to end-game, and PWI will continue to give them what they want - the means to do so.

You need to envolve with game, assuming that those players are not gold-buyers they arent gonna be able to farm the necessary ammount of in-game coins needed to learn all the available skills, to buy the high lv armor (example:TT99 chest is like 60m coins), ornaments, capes, tomes, headwear and weapons acording with his high level, they aint gonna be able to refine his stuff, then this means they are gonna be a lv100 with a huge lack of stuff in-game.

This extra experince madness events was implemented when the new classes has been released, just to let they get an advantage to level up faster and be able to catch the old high levels players.

At your level 90+ is when you need to control your skills, you capacity, to know what you can support at instances, for instances like Rebirth Delta, thats why you need to hit into a high level with a knowledge about your class, stuff and instances. Is just the same argue like we posted before
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Arshies - Sanctuary
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Here is when you started...... We are just argueing why people should learn to play in-game not squading a lv90+ at a bhX to teach you how to avoid Aoe's attack or how to tank bosses.
    This sounds like we are forced to teach all in-game low level.......

You're right. I did come off rather offensively in that post. I apologize for that, as it wasn't my intention. I also didn't mean to imply that it is or even should be your job to go out and teach lowbies how to play the game. I was responding more to the plethora of "2X/3X/Hypers/Oracles ruined the game because nobody knows how to play their classes any more" posts. I was trying to pint out that you don't necessarily have to sit helplessly by while the game collapses around you.
    You can easy recognice this kind of players, they are interested to learn, they ask to you, they try to learn from you, they read guides if you told they are good ones to learn, the told you what they do if was failed or succesfull and try to argue with you why, but has a low in-game percentage from this players.

But then, not everyone is going to ask questions aggressively, question everything, and be proactive about learning. Some people are simply passive or shy, unaccustomed to the camaraderie of an MMO (I was the first time I played an MMO - I thought that joining a group meant I had to stay in that group permanently. I didn't accept my first group invite until I was level 9, fairly late for that particular game at that time). Others are overwhelmed. Still others are embarrassed about having to ask for help. Just because they don't ask questions doesn't mean that they don't want to learn.
    Try this, you are a veteran high level, Are you gonna try to explain how game works to every in-game low level player you find?

Nope. Don't expect you or anyone else to do so, either. Simply making the point that some people DO want to learn, and it's probably beneficial to you to give THOSE people the benefits of your experience.
    Has you ever tryed to ask they about why they ordered that? Low levels used to invite high levels player just for this reason faster bh's, TT and the less effort, again they dont wanna learn and never ask the reason about why this is and why this not. I cant know that you want to learn if you dont ask me.

Communication is a two-way street. Barking orders is NOT conducive to a teaching environment. In these particular cases, I DID ask a couple of questions - in one case the question got no response, and in the other I was basically told "because this is how it works". Don't get me wrong, I did learn some things both times, and gained some valuable experience in squad dynamics. It's just that opportunities like this could be so much more.
    Unitl I saw, the mostly people just want join those faction because they want to join a TW's faction, they think are gonna turn rich people for join a TW faction and do TW's, they just want a important faction name above his heads. And when another new strongest faction has raised they will left the faction with a really bad excuse to join the new TW big faction.

Guild hoppers are always going to exist. It's part and parcel of a competitive environment like an MMO. But then again, if you take the time to help a lowbie grow in his class, give him an environment to excel in, and give him the opportunity to have fun, he's probably a lot less likely to guild hop in the first place.
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You need to envolve with game, assuming that those players are not gold-buyers they arent gonna be able to farm the necessary ammount of in-game coins needed to learn all the available skills, to buy the high lv armor (example:TT99 chest is like 60m coins), ornaments, capes, tomes, headwear and weapons acording with his high level, they aint gonna be able to refine his stuff, then this means they are gonna be a lv100 with a huge lack of stuff in-game.

This extra experince madness events was implemented when the new classes has been released, just to let they get an advantage to level up faster and be able to catch the old high levels players.

At your level 90+ is when you need to control your skills, you capacity, to know what you can support at instances, for instances like Rebirth Delta, thats why you need to hit into a high level with a knowledge about your class, stuff and instances. Is just the same argue like we posted before

I agree that players won't be SUCCESSFUL lvl100s without all of this. But they WILL be lvl100s, come hell or high water. The game mechanics practically guarantee that.

My point is simply that, in some cases, a nudge in the right direction or a little advice or show and tell at the right time can often help a new player want to learn to play his class better. Become a skillful player you'd like to squad with, instead of a "What's Flesh Ream" barb.
  • teethewicked
    teethewicked Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The fact that you feel that you are leveling too slowly even though this is just a game and you barely have time to play it is indication of the problem with fast leveling. Lower levels have become increasingly uncommon. Just look at BH29, NOBODY does it anymore. If you can find a full squad without any high levels, it's a bloody miracle.

Even the quests that you described used to be fun because people used to rely on those quests that nobody ever touches these days for levels. Fields were crowded with players of the same level who were not only having fun killing monsters, but squadding with others of same goal and meeting new people. Nowadays all you see are mobs waiting forever to be slain, or a newbie having a high level do their quests for them. Even though this was painfully slow, it was still a lot of fun and nobody felt the pressure to gain 10 levels in a day or do FC at every waking moment. IT WAS OKAY TO BE SLOW.

Now people are feeling the pressure to level as fast as possible and not allow time to improve their gear because it's no longer okay to stay in 60's for more than a week. Some say "play at your own pace" but can you honestly play at your "own pace" when everyone else around you is leveling 3x as fast? That Barb that you squadded with 2 days ago might now be 10 levels above you and you two no longer keep contact with each other.

Note that many "oldies" are just upset about this because they know this game before it became a racing game for levels. It's just that newer players and older players see this game differently and value different aspects of the game. For example, those people saying "oldies" complaining should quit the game already, they don't mostly because they have many, many good friends that they have met through actually playing the game, and they just really log in to talk to their friends. The game may be boring for them but human interaction was an important aspect of the game and they value it more than newer players who are less familiar with it.

Wow, thank you so much, I am glad someone at least sees the bigger picture. Not to mention, you said everything I wanted to say better than I could, and more.
    I remember some other MMO's I played years ago, back when I was first getting into them. I had fun, and even with slow leveling, I still felt like I was making progress, instead of being bored doing things myself because I don't play at the fast pace of everyone else. Exp events were something that was meant to be a fun incentive to get together with friends and take on stronger areas for better exp at a slightly boosted rate. This is why I have no problem with the exp events in PWI, or even training esoterica's. Because they just give a boost, nothing more. I personally think it is the hyper crystals that are game-breaking. Just like the horns were PW's way of saying "Pay us enough and we will give you the ability to spam the hell out of everyone just to **** them off", I fell hyper crystals are their way of saying "Pay us enough and we will let you reach high levels without having to work for it" . I suppose I could see them being alright with level requirement, perhaps 80+(I hear levelling becomes considerably more time-consuming after 80 compared to all the levels up to that point) But with the way they are now, nobody stays low for very long, and those who don't use hypers are chided for not "doing what everyone else does"
    Sorry, but I am not everyone else, even in a virtual game, you are what you are. I'm not some teen with parents who buy them $200-500 of sunshine packs/tiger packs/corals/battle pet boxes/celestone boxes each month, I am not so fortunate enough to be able to blow all my money on stuff like hyper crystals and items to make perfect equips. And of course, I am not an introvert who plays an mmo all the time. Because of that, I obviously am not going to be a very fast-paced person as far as leveling goes, and I am not always going to be on. This is one reason why I refuse to do factions; from what I have seen, both on the forums and ingame, I am under the impression that to be in a faction is to be required to sacrifice as much time as the faction wants you to, when they want you to, regardless of whether or not real life conflicts. While I enjoy being part of a group and doing group activities such as a guild war like TW, I don't like feeling forced into spending more time that I normally would.
    this makes another problem. Because I don't do factions, my chances of getting help for Call of Duties and other things that REQUIRE a squad, are very low; I have yet to do the FB19 CoD for my veno, who is approaching lvl 50, and I only just finally defeated the FB 19 boss for my BM today, lvl 33 solo with wine, and I still have to do the CoD.I have solo'ed all of my characters to this point, and while I have made about three friends ingame total, I am virtually a loner ingame due to the pace at which I play.
    Many people would probably tell me "If you hate the game so much, then why not quit?" that argument is sophomoric. I play the game because I find it interesting, and despite the very many flaws it has, I obviously find enough good in the game to outweigh to bad.
    Don't be jealous of my boogie.
    Trainer%20Card.jpg