PSYCHIC better than barb as TW tank?? o.O

Pickle - Harshlands
Pickle - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
Ok, some things in-game and on threads has led me to believe that a psychic could be a better tank in tw than a barb??

They would have less HP, but could have MUCH HIGHER defense.

You could level a psychic up pretty high, then for TW, just re-stat to vitality build, with just enough points to equip other gear suitible for tanking. Throw on white voodoo and soulburn, etc...

Think about it... how much money does it cost to fund a character for TW? restating for important TW's would be about the same cost. Could a Psy tank pretty well in place of a barb? HIGH defense level... kill people who attack you... Just stand there and tank. You would be buffed, have a cleric or two or three healing you...

Or, how about an invisible high-level assasin? Can they go invisible while pulling a cat? All they would need is a few spirit charms and... dang. Detection pots are not that common yet for all factions... Heck, ONE sin could go attack while the rest of faction stays full turtle...

PLEASE discuss viability of tideborn TW cat pullers.
Post edited by Pickle - Harshlands on

Comments

• drmarley
    drmarley Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This is wrong on so many levels. I was going to write a long winded response but tbh I just cba.
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    Siege - Dreamweaver Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    LMAO *falls out of chair*
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    VILKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    No... just no... b:bye
    Or, how about an invisible high-level assasin? Can they go invisible while pulling a cat? All they would need is a few spirit charms and... dang. Detection pots are not that common yet for all factions... Heck, ONE sin could go attack while the rest of faction stays full turtle...
    If a single sin is pulling a cata Id just target the cata, aoe both of them & knock sin out of stealth mode.

I'm not even gona answer to the Psy part.
  • mulanrouge
    mulanrouge Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    do us all a favor and uninstall
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    this topic is epic fail.
  • Pickle - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    drmarley wrote: »
    This is wrong on so many levels. I was going to write a long winded response but tbh I just cba.

Can you please explain? I'm curious if a high-level psychic restated just for TW, they could tank a cat pretty well. They could put all their points in vit, or wear heavy armor, however they would need to be stated / geared.

with white voodoo, soulburn, and all their other ****, how would it work?

I am ASKING people, not telling everyone that this is the way to go.
  • Symce - Raging Tide
    Symce - Raging Tide Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Uhm that psychic would need lots of points in str to get heavy armor, cuz even with white voodoo and high vit they'd still be squishy. They get less hp per point of vit than barbs do. That Psy would also need lots of points in vit obviously, where would you possibly get the points for magic?

No...just no. I'm doing fairly well as LA, but please leave the tanking to the appropiate class(es)
    "Anger is my shield."

"Alta alatis patent"
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    In short they wont be better.

Barbs have way more health and phys defence than a psy could ever dream off. 20k+ health psy anyone? Nah didn't think so b:chuckle.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • UltraStatic - Raging Tide
    UltraStatic - Raging Tide Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    rofl why don't u do it and see
    It wasn't me!
    [SIGPIC]http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/StarChieff/UltraSonic-1.gif[/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of the WHO DAT NATION!!!
  • Heleison - Harshlands
    Heleison - Harshlands Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    While your thought is certainly interesting, there's something you should know about white voodoo. At my lvl it raises my defense lvl to 62. However, 62 times nothing= nothing. We are not viable tanks. Not to mention it shoots our attack lvl to -60 something, which defeats our purpose of **** anything that we see.
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Can you please explain? I'm curious if a high-level psychic restated just for TW, they could tank a cat pretty well. They could put all their points in vit, or wear heavy armor, however they would need to be stated / geared.

Think about how Psychics work for a second. Their HP is **** and so is their Phys def. White Vodoo and soulburn wouldn't do **** for them. Putting a ton of vit into your Psy *lols at the thought* will only cause you to severely gimp yourself in power meaning now you're useless in both PvP and PvE gj.

Oh lets also not forget you'd be stuck to using SoulOrbs that you should've ditched 20 levels ago...

There's so many ways doing that can gimp a Psy that when you think about it, it's not really funny, it's just sad.
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010

High lvl well geared barbs get killed in matter of secs... I duno how much def those skills add at their max lvl... But I doubt it could compare to a barbs... + There is such an annoying skill as purge... ._. If you'll be pulling a cata expect for it to be used on u a lot...
  • Pickle - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    Ok, just so everyone is clear:

THEY WOULD HAVE ALMOST ZERO POINTS IN MAGIC.
    If the psy restated JUST FOR THE TW, didn't attack anyone, just stood there as a tank, wearing heavy or light armor, and all the points into vitality...

How would THAT work? Obviously I'm not **** and wouldn't try to play normally like that, its just a hypothetical temp build for a tw cat tank.

EDIT: Does purge work on white voodoo and soulburn? I think it only works on the voodoo?
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    trust me, you arent the first person to suggest this idea, and NO it doesnt work lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
    edited February 2010

If the psy restated JUST FOR THE TW, didn't attack anyone, just stood there as a tank, wearing heavy or light armor, and all the points into vitality...

How would THAT work? Obviously I'm not **** and wouldn't try to play normally like that, its just a hypothetical temp build for a tw cat tank.

Would still be nowhere near as much speed, health and defence as a human-form barb let alone tiger-form.

• MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Seriously man, i'd just purge you. After that my tabby's FR wouldn't even get a chance to tick...
  • Heleison - Harshlands
    Heleison - Harshlands Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010

EDIT: Does purge work on white voodoo and soulburn? I think it only works on the voodoo?

Why don't we just make a class that just stands there and does nothing?
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010

Another reason why that would be a horrible idea is because Psychics are slow as hell and would most likely be owned before they can even reach halfway to their destination.
  • Pickle - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    Another reason why that would be a horrible idea is because Psychics are slow as hell and would most likely be owned before they can even reach halfway to their destination.

You have to stay within range of the Cat, and as a psy you could get there in the same time as a barb roughly, well almost, still probably a little slower, but barbs can't just rush in our they drop the cat
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Um.... ok... Can any Psy plz calculate aprox stats at lets say lvl 90 with 90s Heavy gear + those skills? (In case any are bored on wq)

._.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/

somebody go do it
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/

somebody go do it

But i'm too lazy ._.

PS: that calculator doesn't have Psy skills as buffers.
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    uh yeah.. sure if you +12 all your gear maybe b:chuckle
    seriously Its hard enough keeping a barb alive, having a psy as a backup support to the cleric on the cata team might be useful though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    OP is not an idiot for bringing this up.

I believe you can make +2 def level gems at the jewelcraftsman? So sharding 4 sockets on everything with these, +white voodoo, with heavy armour, decent refines and high vit build (do you even need magic for white voodoo?) would probably make a 10k hp psy that would be as tough as diamond nails.

But of course, like the invisible sin that would get caught in the first stray aoe, it has viability problems. Main one being that nearly all cat barbs are immediately purged. Drop the buffs and the psy suddenly becomes a massive amount squishier. Second is a psy can't invoke. 20k worth of charmed barb under an invoke is pretty much unkillable. And barbs are naturally faster. And an endgame barb hits hard too, whereas a tank-psy would only be able to tank.

So while we see where you're coming from, it's simply not going to work.
  • Pickle - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    OP is not an idiot for bringing this up.

I believe you can make +2 def level gems at the jewelcraftsman? So sharding 4 sockets on everything with these, +white voodoo, with heavy armour, decent refines and high vit build (do you even need magic for white voodoo?) would probably make a 10k hp psy that would be as tough as diamond nails.

But of course, like the invisible sin that would get caught in the first stray aoe, it has viability problems. Main one being that nearly all cat barbs are immediately purged. Drop the buffs and the psy suddenly becomes a massive amount squishier. Second is a psy can't invoke. 20k worth of charmed barb under an invoke is pretty much unkillable. And barbs are naturally faster. And an endgame barb hits hard too, whereas a tank-psy would only be able to tank.

So while we see where you're coming from, it's simply not going to work.

Thank you, this was the kind of discussion I was looking for. Although those gems are INSANELY expensive and I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon lol
  • Centaura - Dreamweaver
    Centaura - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    *grabs cat in Tw) D: oh noes suddenly ive become enemy #1 to everyone now a barb is flaming me pm's for taking his cat *half way down Lane A* b:shocked here comes one of their squads *enters stealth* xD now im safe and they cant see me but just as safty procaution ill run off path,b:shocked oh noes those Bm's are following me from enemy cat squad, how did they see me!, oh thats right i have a cat behind me moving by itselfb:shocked *maze steps and holy paths down path* phew im lucky i think i lost those Bm's, i see their tower's *runs toward towers* ok yay im attacking see i pwn! *OMGOMGFGBBQBOOOOOM!* *one shot by 2 BT's* in the distance i hear the enemy wiz defence squad going LOL, LOL, LOL!, LOL!, meanwhile barb and squad lead and faction lead all cussing me out i wasted a cat and get kicked from faction.

This is why you dont pull cata's if your not a barb b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Assassin- Cold, Tough, Relentless, Brave, has a Disturbing Mix of Innocence and Violence.

-Proud Member of Vanquish
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    *grabs cat in Tw) D: oh noes suddenly ive become enemy #1 to everyone now a barb is flaming me pm's for taking his cat *half way down Lane A* b:shocked here comes one of their squads *enters stealth* xD now im safe and they cant see me but just as safty procaution ill run off path,b:shocked oh noes those Bm's are following me from enemy cat squad, how did they see me!, oh thats right i have a cat behind me moving by itselfb:shocked *maze steps and holy paths down path* *cata gets left behind* -snip teh rest happens-

fixed.
    b:chuckle
    catapults can't move at teh speed of maze step/holy path lol.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    *grabs cat in Tw) D: oh noes suddenly ive become enemy #1 to everyone now a barb is flaming me pm's for taking his cat *half way down Lane A* b:shocked here comes one of their squads *enters stealth* xD now im safe and they cant see me but just as safty procaution ill run off path,b:shocked oh noes those Bm's are following me from enemy cat squad, how did they see me!, oh thats right i have a cat behind me moving by itselfb:shocked *maze steps and holy paths down path* phew im lucky i think i lost those Bm's, i see their tower's *runs toward towers* ok yay im attacking see i pwn! *OMGOMGFGBBQBOOOOOM!* *one shot by 2 BT's* in the distance i hear the enemy wiz defence squad going LOL, LOL, LOL!, LOL!, meanwhile barb and squad lead and faction lead all cussing me out i wasted a cat and get kicked from faction.

This is why you dont pull cata's if your not a barb b:laugh

Haha nice story....
    Psy class has stealth?

• VILKASS - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    *grabs cat in Tw) D: oh noes suddenly ive become enemy #1 to everyone now a barb is flaming me pm's for taking his cat *half way down Lane A* here comes one of their squads *enters stealth* xD now im safe and they cant see me but just as safty procaution ill run off path,
    *cata gets left behind* -snip teh rest happens-
    Fixed. catas can't be pulled off path.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Fixed. catas can't be pulled off path.

d(^.^)
    me missed that part
    O.O'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.