Gush vs. Hailstorm

Options
Kila_Master - Harshlands
Kila_Master - Harshlands Posts: 64 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Wizard
While reading through the wizard forums, I saw a post that stated that: "Hailstorm does the same damage as gush but is a AoE." Is this true? And if it is, why do wizards beleive its useless?
Post edited by Kila_Master - Harshlands on

Comments

• CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It does, and wizards who say it is useless are not the wizard you should listen to.

The big difference however between gush and hailstorm is the channeling and cooldown. hailstorm takes ages to channel and has a long cooldown, while you can almost chain-gush..

So when is hailstorm usefull? When you are aoe'ing some mobs, or after an ult (pve, tw,). Try max it after 70/75, sure you'll enjoy it:)
    (and ofcourse dont forget hailstorm has a chance to freeze, which is never bad)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It does, and wizards who say it is useless are not the wizard you should listen to.

The big difference however between gush and hailstorm is the channeling and cooldown. hailstorm takes ages to channel and has a long cooldown, while you can almost chain-gush..

So when is hailstorm usefull? When you are aoe'ing some mobs, or after an ult (pve, tw,). Try max it after 70/75, sure you'll enjoy it:)
    (and ofcourse dont forget hailstorm has a chance to freeze, which is never bad)

Pretty much this, but I didn't wanna type that all out. Thanks for doing the dirty work for me.

b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • SurferGirl - Dreamweaver
    SurferGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    gush dmg isnt that great thats why even if hailstorm dmg is same as gush its not a big deal .. but ppl use gush so much cuz its low cd and fast chan so u can use it alot of times and also it has 100% chance to slow enemy by 40% for 8 sec while hailstorm has like 22% or something like that (lazy to chack) to freeze when u cant really trust on that maybe if it had same cd as gush more wiz would lvl it but i personally use it on really rare events where group of mobs has low hp and even low dmg skill like hail will kill them

gn ^^
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ^ long sentence. <- that little dot is called a period :o google it.
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    You have to consider that you have to multiply the damage of an aoe by the number of mobs you hit. While Hailstorm might not be useful against single mobs, it does considerable damage when hitting maybe 5 mobs. The aoe radius isn't that bad on lvl 10 either, and the freeze is a useful add. So why not use a 1.8 channel aoe with no chi costs and a chance to freeze?

Does anyone have experience with the sage version? Is the damage added on frozen targets useful/noticeable?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Options
    You have to consider that you have to multiply the damage of an aoe by the number of mobs you hit. While Hailstorm might not be useful against single mobs, it does considerable damage when hitting maybe 5 mobs. The aoe radius isn't that bad on lvl 10 either, and the freeze is a useful add. So why not use a 1.8 channel aoe with no chi costs and a chance to freeze?

Does anyone have experience with the sage version? Is the damage added on frozen targets useful/noticeable?

u know now that i think about it i only thought about hailstrom pvp wise lol ye on aoe its nice i use it on fire waves of rb
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The added damage is very low and pretty useless. Getting sage hailstorm is kind of pointless, you're still only going to use it for freezing people.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sage Gush does more than my Sage Hailstorm... Not by much but still more.

Too bad the Sage Hailstorm DoT damage is terribad...
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    <--- First cool mage to actively use hailstorm.

People laughed at me. Then I laugh when I crit multiple people and kill them with it.

People also laughed at me when I was using frenzy when it first came out.
  • Raybeez - Lost City
    Raybeez - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    acullyzz halzstormz izz abadd skillssss tooo beez joozing ... numburr won: itz haz BADS damnage and fer numerz too: its D0T itz joost plains awfulz.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    acullyzz halzstormz izz abadd skillssss tooo beez joozing ... numburr won: itz haz BADS damnage and fer numerz too: its D0T itz joost plains awfulz.

I'm not even going to try to read that, try again
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I love hailstorm. Is absolutely perfect to fighting more mobs. Just cooldown is not cool.b:laugh I really want sage hailstorm. I like hailstorm very much. It's finishing spell not opening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I love hailstorm. Is absolutely perfect to fighting more mobs. Just cooldown is not cool.b:laugh I really want sage hailstorm. I like hailstorm very much. It's finishing spell not opening.

If you use hailstorm as a finisher, why do you want sage hailstorm? It does a 6 seconds DoT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If you use hailstorm as a finisher, why do you want sage hailstorm? It does a 6 seconds DoT.

I'm using it as finisher now. With sage hailstrom I will consider use it as opener. Sage add + 1300 damage and + another 3160 to frozen enemies. Which is a lot of damage. So as support spell it will be ideal. An maybe as an opener too, but I have to try it first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

People laughed at me. Then I laugh when I crit multiple people and kill them with it.

People laugh at me when i say my Hailstorm is lvl 10. People also laugh at me when i drop DB and use BIDS > hailstorm on fire wave in GV. Something about the archer will get all the aggro and then will die.....
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

ur such a rebel :D
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    People laugh at me when i say my Hailstorm is lvl 10. People also laugh at me when i drop DB and use BIDS > hailstorm on fire wave in GV. Something about the archer will get all the aggro and then will die.....

xD
    lol....me do that all the time....
    b:sweat
    it just does so much more damage...
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Yea, do that to :P

Though it sux my BIDS gets canceld 3 times before I'm able to cast it properly b:cry
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Yea, do that to :P

Though it sux my BIDS gets canceld 3 times before I'm able to cast it properly b:cry

step away from teh god's eye.....
    lol..............

seriously...me thought that was obvious.....
    Gods Eye's attack can interrupt channeling. Just take like 3-4 steps away and cast....
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Hmm, that's a good idea. b:surrender
    Though I'm afraid my squad wil really freak out when I just drop DB and walk away right before the wave b:laugh

And yes, I noticed it can interupt :P
    Just didn't think I'd only do that when you're standing inside it
    edited December 2009
    Options

lol i do the same . u can laugh at them when u do 5ks with hailstorm on fire waves >.> not to mention bid
  • Destini - Dreamweaver
    Destini - Dreamweaver Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Not gonna lie--I didn't level this, let alone use it until my 90's. b:chuckle Now I abuse the damn thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Of course I want to make you giggle, but this is serious. b:chuckle

Other Characters:

Ivy_>Psychic>Level 92>Sage>Active
    Serenata>Venomancer>Level 44>Inactive until further notice
    Avocet>Cleric>Level 25>same as above
    Descorian>Blademaster>Level 5> The love child of Destini and Escorian...but I hardly play her...b:surrender

PS: Caffeine Detox sucks!
  • Llama - Lost City
    Llama - Lost City Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The skill is best when you get it level 11.

Its very good either way. It is exactly an AOE gush and sage has a chance to tick people for a bit of extra damage as well. I use it in pk quite a bit but has great use in things like GV as well.
    Hey Elayne. Its illegal to harass underage girls. And CQ won the map without you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reico_matrix - Dreamweaver
    Reico_matrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Level 1 Hailstorm:

"Conjure a hailstorm to rain down on the target causing it and all
    surrounding enemies to suffer Water damage equal to base magic
    attack plus 318.0 of weapon damage . Has a 33% chance
    to freeze enemies for 2.2 seconds. Higher Level gives wider range."

This is why I have never leveled it. Is that "plus 318% of weapon damage" or just "plus 318.0 damage".

Sent in numerous tickets asking, never got a proper answer.
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Level 1 Hailstorm:

This is why I have never leveled it. Is that "plus 318% of weapon damage" or just "plus 318.0 damage".

Well considering that at lvl 10 it says 1794.9, I'm pretty damn sure it's without the %.
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Level 1 Hailstorm:

Its a typo, it should be just 318. There is no weapon damage involved in hailstorm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Well considering that at lvl 10 it says 1794.9, I'm pretty damn sure it's without the %.

omgawd fizzy! You post on the forums now!
    when are we getting married b:cute
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    omgawd fizzy! You post on the forums now!
    when are we getting married b:cute

lolwut

b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lolwut

b:question

b:shockedyou saw nothing!

<3fizzy and our bad bromance
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I SS'd it...gonna make great blackmail later.

b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]