Was I wrong?

Boozin - Sanctuary
Boozin - Sanctuary Posts: 183 Arc User
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
While doing a bh last night I ran into something that I had never experienced before and it really sorta made me mad... I don't think I was "wrong" but thought maybe I should ask.....

After picking up my bh at the head hunter in arch yesterday, I stood around for a bit and answered a call from another person also needing to kill Farren... We form a squad with some other people (a lvl5x cleric, 5x archer and a 6x barb and myself) all of whom are unknown to me. No worries I think to myself, I don't mind doing bh with random parties.. I'm a pretty friendly guy, sometimes ya meet cool people etc etc..

So anyway... once we clear the mobs etc an make it all the way to Farren, somehow (still not sure how) the rest of the party managed to get themselves killed while Farren is sitting at around 75-80% health still. So there I am, everyone else is dead (including the cleric so no one can get a rez) and Farren is still after me.. Since I cant seem to break agro from Farren, I think to myself I have 2 choices... either teleport back out wait for everyone to come back or grind away on Farren and hope they can make it back fast if they "go to town".

I figure I have nothing to loose... I don't mind taking an exp hit if I die, I might as well try and do as much damage to the boss as I can while they make their way back. But as time goes by I notice that everyone is just laying there on the ground dead... after about 10min the cleric finally decides to "go to town", run back and I assume rez the others. Why the 10min delay I have no idea) By this time I've managed to grind Farren down to less than 10% health all by myself. At this point the lvl6x barb who has been lying dead at my feet for 10min starts to shout for me to back off and get away from the boss... I figure that no, Im just gonna keep going.. I've more or less solo'd him alone, my charms have taken a huge beating, I wanna see if I can finish him off... BUT I do say that if I manage to kill him, since they are dead and they wont get the bh complete, once Farren respawns I will help kill him again...

In the end I do manage to kill him before anyone gets a rez, the barb is still lying dead at my feet. I give a small yay! to myself and right away the barb wants me kicked out of the squad because "I don't follow instructions".. WTF!!

I must admit, this made me so mad I just left the squad of my own volition.

So ya, I guess this mostly just a huge rant, but my question is... was I wrong to kill the boss while they just lay around dead even though I offerd to help kill him again? ...is that against some sorta etiquette?

b:angryb:angryb:angry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Boozin - Sanctuary on

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No you were not wrong.
    sounds like the barb and/or cleric is fail.
    b:chuckle

Besides....they seriously want you to burn your charm just for them?
    me think you should forget them.
    xD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    My answer?

Nope.

If they are too damn lazy to take an xp hit from ressing to town or cant carry angels, because the cleric is obviously too incompetent to res to town themselves and res the party like they are SUPPOSED TO then....you deserve to kill the boss yourself, and reap the benefits.

Its called the food chain, you obviously proved yourself to be at the top of it, and thus far, reaped the benefits of not acting like a complete idiotic noob.

GJ b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Taranta - Dreamweaver
    Taranta - Dreamweaver Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Well, it would be different if you were a veno and could've nerfed your damage while the cleric was coming back, but since you're a Blademaster, it's a bit of a challenge to do so (no personal tank). I don't personally think you were wrong, especially with the beating your charms took and the fact that the cleric took 10 minutes to go to town. Why they weren't carrying at least 1 rez scroll is beyond me. You offered, they were dumb in the refusal. Their loss, not yours, especially since you were the only one who managed to live through it.
    I shall dominate the Dreamweaver server through the use of Baked goods...and only baked goods.^^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venomancers are Female. Barbarians are male. It will forever be this way. So suck it up and deal with it already.
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Totally agree with taranta.
    They could blame only cleric for taking so long not you
    on bm i would beat the **** out of the boss too, if squad would want me to keep it alive then would ask them for charm lol. On veno i would wait because tanking on veno cost nothing.
    Also, gratz on soloing it. b:victory
  • Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No you were not wrong.
    sounds like the barb and/or cleric is fail.
    b:chuckle

Besides....they seriously want you to burn your charm just for them?
    me think you should forget them.
    xD

how the hell...you hax, Hamsta b:angry I showed up as 1st post and you ninja'd me....b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    how the hell...you hax, Hamsta b:angry I showed up as 1st post and you ninja'd me....b:surrender

lolcats-ninja-skills.jpg
    b:avoid
    fear me?
    ("')(O.o)("')
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    10 bucks says the cleric had a heal macro on the barb and they went afk, that is why they did not noticed anything was wrong for 10 minutes.

I would had done the same thing you did, than say "thank you for the party" and tele to town after the boss was dead.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You had an epic fail squad, plain and simple. To sit around for 10 minutes like they did is intolerable. I'm actually glad they didn't get the credit for that bh, seeing as how they made you do all the work and kill your charm.
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The thing about respawns... it doesn't exactly happen. Once a boss is dead in a fb, it stays dead. So the squad would have to redo the entire dungeon to get to sereneti again (in a new instance).

I think you were wrong to solo kill the boss, but I can understand why. But a better choice might've been to teleport out (leave squad -> 60 second timer. You can outrun sereneti for a long time as a bm). The cleric had to go back to town and come back anyway so it's not like you would've missed out on the boss. And that way no one else would've had to redo the dungeon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Well there also are items in game called "res scroll", cleric should have one. And actually everyone in party could get one or buy one for cleric in case things like this happens again. They could res themselves and waste their own charm too not sleep on floor and whine. Also i don't see anything wrong with cleric asking money back from party after using res scroll if it was party fault. That would cost 10k from 1 person for fast res and they would get boss kill.
  • Boozin - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    The thing about respawns... it doesn't exactly happen. Once a boss is dead in a fb, it stays dead. So the squad would have to redo the entire dungeon to get to sereneti again (in a new instance).

It wasn't an fb, it was a bh.... he should have respawned no problem ya..?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    There are several failures out there. don't worry... there will be more episodes like that.

I'll tell you a little story:

Some people already know I also play a Veno - a heavy veno. Her physical res. is quite high, enough for me to kill certain bosses like any BM or barb would. So have I... Once I had 2 clerics with me, 1 unexperienced veno and 1 BM with poor gear. After reaching Farren I told both clerics I was going to tank the boss like a barb, without pet (used these very words) and then I went to it... 1 cleric stood still, doing absolutely nothing. I died quickly. The other ran away with the BM and died after running into more mobs and the poor little veno died to AOE damage. Squad wiped. Then I went AFK for lunch and, surprisingly, after about 15 minutes they were still there, trying to recruit a barbarian or cleric. I had to go to town and run back to the boss. Then, as squad gathered again, I explained it AGAIN, asked for healing and I went straight to the boss. While I was already taking hits and pet was dead, 1 cleric kept shouting "heal pet" continously. When I had about 20% HP left and all sort of potions and tricks were already cooling down the other cleric figured out I needed healing. Boss killed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    That reminds me a bh39 I did last saturday. 3 clerics and 2 archers (my alt is an archer). Somehow all clerics got killed by farren's AoE when he was about 3/4 of his HP, so me and the other archer manage to alter aggro between each other till we killed him, grabbed the loot and disbanded the squad (we asked if they want to repeat the bh before tho).

There was nothing we could do: either we die and wait for one of the clerics to res us all, or kill farren and finish the bh.

Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. Don't blame yourself for it. You did an amazing job by killin' farren al by yourself. If there was any good drop, they were all rightfully yours.

I agree with MagicHamsta, either the lvl 6x barb is a fail, or the cleric doesn't know how to do his job, or all of the above.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited December 2009

Nope, BH is the same as a FB, except you do not get the extra quest to kill the bosses. The mechanics are the same. If the bosses were to spawn, don't you think someone would just wack their way to a boss that has nice drops and farm them all day and night?

However, the all squad went obviously afk, so I think you did the right thing by killing the boss than leaving.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited December 2009

no.

And to Skimi, I agree that clerics should have a res scroll. Except most people, especially lvl 5xs, are not willing to help pay for them. They will most likely ask the cleric to go to town and come back to res them. And at 5x, 50k a pop is awfully expensive for most clerics.

Edit: if the other squadmembers were all afk though, it would be justified to kill boss. But at sereneti, which is kind of a tough bh for that level, I seriously doubt it. Killing the boss like that wastes everyone elses time, so I'd argue that it is a much more selfish move than just exiting the instance and coming back to finish it as a squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    i wonder how rest of squad could wait 10 mins on cleric....after saying some "nice" words to cleric i would go to town myself and run back lol
  • Boozin - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Nope, BH is the same as a FB, except you do not get the extra quest to kill the bosses. The mechanics are the same. If the bosses were to spawn, don't you think someone would just wack their way to a boss that has nice drops and farm them all day and night?

However, the all squad went obviously afk, so I think you did the right thing by killing the boss than leaving.

I never gave it too much thought, but when you put it that way, it does make sense that a boss wouldn't respawn right away.... Guess ya do learn somthin new everyday...

That being said, even if we did hafta whack our way back to the boss, I would have stuck around an given em a hand... just the attitude of waiting till i ground Farren down to 10% alone while they lay dead on the floor then expecting me to back off an wait for them..... where was the help when i needed it and WTF was with the attitude of "I dont do what Im told"!!!

lol, still makes my blood boil when I think about it b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Don't throw magic attacks at Farren. Phys only, and you hardly ever get the AOE.

Set the pet at it, the rest go up and thwack it with sticks.

Boss Done.

No, you weren't wrong. The cleric *should have* either rezzed from scroll or gone to town right away, and come back into the instance. If you go ahead and kill the boss, because you're tired of standing there and getting plonked, that was their problem , not yours.

It's not wined, for cryin out loud. They didn't lose a thing.

RedMenace
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Don't let it get to you Boozin, it's not your fault they suck.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No, you werent at fault.

If the squad couldnt act fast enough, now they know what they lost. Shouldnt even take 5min to think and tele.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Danikovich - Heavens Tear
    Danikovich - Heavens Tear Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You COULD have ran to the portal but since you chose not to, nothing wrong about it.
    Like they say in my country:
    When you are too smart, smartness eats you up.
  • ElonaFiorna - Sanctuary
    ElonaFiorna - Sanctuary Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I'm tossing my vote in with the "You did the right thing."

If you actually really did stand there 10 minutes getting pounded by Farren, and the rest of the squad simply laid there, then you gave them more than enough time.

Judging from what my guildies tell me and my personal experience, the lower the level of the BH, the lower the IQ of it's members. The higher the level of the BH the higher the IQ of the members.
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear - "I am happy to agree to disagree :P"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    What, they waited 10 minutes before teleing to town? I know people go AFK and start macros, but 10 minutes is pushing it pretty far, especially cleric and tank on a boss. And if they weren't AFK.... that's even more fail.

Their loss, and you got what you needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Well, I'm surprised you decided to alt tank the boss in quite the way you did, so I'll give your squad a little benefit of the doubt for that. For future reference, you might want to think about ways you could have kept the boss engaged without burning your charm. You have a ranged attack, a sprint skill, and a self-heal that will let you play tag with most bosses indefinitely.

But, your squad really should not have had to watch you **** away for anywhere near 10 minutes before they figured out you were going for the kill. They could have accepted less net EXP out of the BH by going to town and running back to help you, could have started talking about your plan/pace as soon as it became obvious, or they could have gambled the cleric would get back in time for them all to get the benefit of your work. They all chose the last option and got their just deserts.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • Boozin - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Judging from what my guildies tell me and my personal experience, the lower the level of the BH, the lower the IQ of it's members. The higher the level of the BH the higher the IQ of the members.

Well, I feel a little better now... Thanks for the support folks. b:thanks

..with any luck experiences like this will help raise my IQ for when I do get a chance at the higher lvl bh's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    awww. why did u let him **** ur charm :/

u should take him for a tour tru dungeon -
    ur fast enough to run away from most of his hits

but yea - not ur fault ur squad sucked :P
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Don't let it get to you Boozin, it's not your fault they suck.

This +1

Fail squad and you stuck it out and killed boss. Their loss, your gain. You offered to help them again...you did the right thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • SultryShade - Dreamweaver
    SultryShade - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Ah this takes me back to my BH39 days, I had quite a few parties like this, so don't feel too bad, it happens, more often than it should in the lower levels, but still. I actually had this exact scenario happen to me twice, once on my BM and once on my LA wiz (just with a 5X barb not a 6X one), and both I handled the same way, kill the boss, get chewed out and leave them to their own devices. Both times I burned large amounts of charm and event food but I found it very gratifying to be able to solo some bosses, despite the relatively large hit to my charms and food.

So yeah, you did the right thing, and believe us when we say that the higher level you get the less likely it is that you'll get ridiculously stupid people in your party, though it still happens sometimes (after lvl 80 or so those are generally pure oracle babies though)
    I will not hesitate to beat you over the head with your own stupidity.

Yes I am a hypocrite.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Nope, completely in the right.

People who aren't willing to goto town and run back don't deserve to have a cleric res them anyways. If they ran back they would have lost far less exp. By not running back, they missed out on the exp from the BH, what they paid for wines for, and potentially drops.

The squad was just dumb, I wouldn't even blame the cleric either. Even though the cleric obviously wasn't doing their job properly, everyone else had plenty of time to get back if they wanted to.
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    My answer?

Nope.

because the cleric is obviously too incompetent to res to town themselves and res the party like they are SUPPOSED TO then....you deserve to kill the boss yourself, and reap the benefits.
    GJ b:victory

to OP post, you're ok.

to this quote: if the cleric and the squad dies EVERYONE should go to town and take the damn hit "UNLESS" the squad is paying the cleric for dolls lost on squad wipes. If the cleric has to take a damn XP hit the squad should too
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington