Using the world chat

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    aadi, you have one major flaw in this portion of your argument. those who are in landholding factions dont need to spend RL cash on teles, even at 20k a pop, they have plenty of ingame coin to throw away on them.

hell, i'm only lvl 58 (well was before i quit this character), and i could afford to purchase a steady stream of teles just from grinding with only half my attention.. if i were focused on grinding, i probably could have easily kept a stack of teles to spam up world chat with the best of them b:laugh

now imagine me at level 80+... you only make more and more coin thru grinding as you level up each 10-level span (20-30, 30-40, etc) due mainly to DQ, but also coin drops get better and better the higher the mob lvl

so yea, simple point- teles are insanely easy to get with ingame coin, don't assume they are spending RL cash on teles (exception is Wizzeled.... lol)
    Phoenix, everytime you flame me you're just undermining your credibility. Keep it up.

You really want to turn this into a CS vs Non-CS issue? Cause you're going to **** off a lot of people. Some of the biggest CS users don't WC and a lot of the WCers don't use the CS at all. They just buy teles from catshops. I have no problem ignoring WC when i need to. It's almost a requirement to play this game, but I dislike having to scroll up though a sea of yellow to see what a faction or squadmate was trying to tell me.

You two missed the point b:sweat Outside of the tokens that weren't available for most of the game, teles came just from the Cash Shop, so even if you bought it with ingame coin, it originally cost 10 cents from the Cash Shop.

Why would PW add limits to what you could talk about in World Chat if they make money when people talk in it? Doesn't make financial sense for them, if it's not against the ToS and all it's doing is annoying some people.

As for scrolling up to see what factionmates and squadmates said...Turn World Chat off. I feel like a broken record here. If you don't want to turn World Chat off, you're going to have to learn to deal with what's in there, because it's not going anywhere.
    you people are ridiculous, why are you condemning vidalaire's opinion? i for one, hate the attention seeking spammers, so why should i have to A. fill up a blacklist (which can only hold so many people) or B. turn it off completely to avoid seeing such nonsense.

it sucks, if i want to look for sales or parties, i have to filter through a sea of garbage, it IS 'our chat box' when its on our screen, and i have a right to see whats in it if i want to.

You do have a right to see what's in it. No one's saying you're required to turn it off. What if I hate the people advertising for factions? Why should I have to fill up a blacklist or turn it off completely to avoid seeing such nonsense?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Phoenix - Dreamweaver
    Phoenix - Dreamweaver Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Phoenix, everytime you flame me you're just undermining your credibility. Keep it up.

That wasn't a flame. You really are the problem with your own intolerance of certain kinds of statements on World Chat.

Your idea of credibility is only worthwhile if I were facetious enough to use argumenta ad authoritum, though I don't really expect someone who's appealing to popular opinion to understand that.
    you people are ridiculous, why are you condemning vidalaire's opinion

I don't care about Vidalaire's estimation of the value of certain world chats. I'm arguing against his/her insistence that such chats be quelled using some yet-unnamed method of moderation/technology because he/she is too lazy to simply scan past it. Of course, why should I not have the option to condemn Vidalaire's opinion? That's exactly what they're advocating for world chat, after all: censorship for no reason other than annoyance. If only I had that power...
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    You two missed the point b:sweat Outside of the tokens (which are also cashshop, so fail argument)that weren't available for most of the game, teles came just from the Cash Shop, so even if you bought it with ingame coin, it originally cost 10 cents from the Cash Shop.

Why would PW add limits to what you could talk about in World Chat if they make money when people talk in it? Doesn't make financial sense for them, if it's not against the ToS and all it's doing is annoying some people.

As for scrolling up to see what factionmates and squadmates said...Turn World Chat off. I feel like a broken record here. If you don't want to turn World Chat off, you're going to have to learn to deal with what's in there, because it's not going anywhere.

You do have a right to see what's in it. No one's saying you're required to turn it off. What if I hate the people advertising for factions? Why should I have to fill up a blacklist or turn it off completely to avoid seeing such nonsense?

and you missed my point as well b:cute

i'm not taking sides here, i know my "comfort zone" on the subject, and i have no desire to share it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    and you missed my point as well b:cute

i'm not taking sides here, i know my "comfort zone" on the subject, and i have no desire to share it

I did? I reread your post and I still feel that I addressed your point...what am I missing? b:surrender Rephrase please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    I did? I reread your post and I still feel that I addressed your point...what am I missing? b:surrender Rephrase please?

you are using the generalization argument of "oh, it comes from cashshop so it still costs money" in response to my argument, which doesn't work

i had 3k teles on this character at one time (lost them in pk, but that's another story lol)

i purchased all 3,000 teleacoustics myself

i used 0$ of RL cash to buy said teles, therefore i got those teles for free

therefore i chat in world chat FOR FREE

/argument b:thanks

which takes us back to my original topic:
    (refer to blue text please)
    aadi, you have one major flaw in this portion of your argument. those who are in landholding factions dont need to spend RL cash on teles, even at 20k a pop, they have plenty of ingame coin to throw away on them.

hell, i'm only lvl 58 (well was before i quit this character), and i could afford to purchase a steady stream of teles just from grinding with only half my attention.. if i were focused on grinding, i probably could have easily kept a stack of teles to spam up world chat with the best of them b:laugh

now imagine me at level 80+... you only make more and more coin thru grinding as you level up each 10-level span (20-30, 30-40, etc) due mainly to DQ, but also coin drops get better and better the higher the mob lvl

so yea, simple point- teles are insanely easy to get with ingame coin, don't assume they are spending RL cash on teles (exception is Wizzeled.... lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    you are using the generalization argument of "oh, it comes from cashshop so it still costs money" in response to my argument, which doesn't work

i had 3k teles on this character at one time (lost them in pk, but that's another story lol)

i purchased all 3,000 teleacoustics myself

i used 0$ of RL cash to buy said teles, therefore i got those teles for free

therefore i chat in world chat FOR FREE

/argument b:thanks

which takes us back to my original topic:
    (refer to blue text please)

But...it still comes originally from the Cash Shop, right? My point was, even if you didn't pay that 10 cents to PW yourself, SOMEONE did to get the teles to sell to you. Since there's no way to get them outside of the CS (thank you for correcting my token blunder b:chuckle), they all originally were gotten with cash that goes to PW no matter how you in particular got them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I'm all for free speech, but there's also common courtesy. Say you're on a bus and you're sitting there, minding your own business, trying to get somewhere. However, there are loud, obnoxious jackasses in the back shouting at each other. They are disrupting everyone's ride. They have the right to free speech, but I have the right to wish they would shut the hell up. Your solution is I should get off the bus. I should inconvience myself and make myself late because others can't be courteous and have some respect. Yeah, that's a good solution.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    But...it still comes originally from the Cash Shop, right? My point was, even if you didn't pay that 10 cents to PW yourself, SOMEONE did to get the teles to sell to you. Since there's no way to get them outside of the CS (thank you for correcting my token blunder b:chuckle), they all originally were gotten with cash that goes to PW no matter how you in particular got them.

my point however is that the individual people may not have spent RL cash on the teles

as i explained, all my teles i obtained for free

i did not say that the teles themselves were free
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    I'm all for free speech, but there's also common courtesy. Say you're on a bus and you're sitting there, minding your own business, trying to get somewhere. However, there are loud, obnoxious jackasses in the back shouting at each other. They are disrupting everyone's ride. They have the right to free speech, but I have the right to wish they would shut the hell up. Your solution is I should get off the bus. I should inconvience myself and make myself late because others can't be courteous and have some respect. Yeah, that's a good solution.

So your solution is to make the bus driver enforce silence on the bus at all times?

That analogy is flawed because nothing in World Chat is required for your game. Want to find a party? You can ask friends or, if you really don't want to READ World Chat, you can use it yourself but leave it off. That way, they can PM you and you don't have to see the spam. Looking for something to buy or trying to sell something? Use the AH instead, or once again, WC yourself but leave it off.

There are ways around it. And you can wish whatever you want, just as I can tell you that there are ways around it and that I honestly can't understand what the big issue is. I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain, but I also have a right to refute your complaints and offer solutions that would leave both sides of the argument satisfied (you get your buying/selling/party-finding done, they aren't limited to merely utilitarian uses of WC). b:cute

Edit:
    my point however is that the individual people may not have spent RL cash on the teles

as i explained, all my teles i obtained for free

i did not say that the teles themselves were free

...That doesn't change my point at all though...? Less people use teles --> Less teles are sold --> Less teles are bought (to be sold or used) --> PW gets less money
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    So your solution is to make the bus driver enforce silence on the bus at all times?

waaaaay off subject. the analogy is that the obnoxious people in the back are the world chatters, and their obnoxiously loud hollering and yelling is the world chat spam. the bus driver is a GM. the analogy is that the GMs are well aware of the spammers, but aren't doing anything about it (on a real bus, the driver would use their whip-crack commanding authority to get the obnoxious people to quiet down (force them out of world chat spamming) or throw them off the bus (mute their ability to chat and/or ban them)
    ...That doesn't change my point at all though...? Less people use teles --> Less teles are sold --> Less teles are bought (to be sold or used) --> PW gets less money

you've changed the subject >_>

-argument dies-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    waaaaay off subject. the analogy is that the obnoxious people in the back are the world chatters, and their obnoxiously loud hollering and yelling is the world chat spam. the bus driver is a GM. the analogy is that the GMs are well aware of the spammers, but aren't doing anything about it (on a real bus, the driver would use their whip-crack commanding authority to get the obnoxious people to quiet down (force them out of world chat spamming) or throw them off the bus (mute their ability to chat and/or ban them)

Analogy's still flawed because the people talking on WC is only yelling to certain people, while to others it might be just a mildly irritating murmur, and for some it may even be pleasant conversation that they enjoy listening to (or just drama that they want to see play out). Also, on a bus there are rules against distracting the driver b:chuckle

I mentioned silencing everyone because her proposition is to make it bannable to "spam" WC (i.e. talk in it without any purpose other than to make conversation or reply to someone), and even on a bus there's side conversations. What kind of bus driver forces the entire bus to remain completely silent?
    you've changed the subject >_>

-argument dies-

No I haven't...I think we're misunderstanding each other and it's not getting any better, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    I mentioned silencing everyone because her proposition is to make it bannable to "spam" WC (i.e. talk in it without any purpose other than to make conversation or reply to someone), and even on a bus there's side conversations. What kind of bus driver forces the entire bus to remain completely silent?

Wrong. I never once mentioned banning anyone except for those people using slurs/inappropriate language in WC. I WISH the spammers would stop, but I never advocated banning. My comments were my opinions. You were the one who blew them up and acted like I wanted to be the dictator of WC. I was just expressing my wish that the spammers(drama, sellers, and faction recruiters alike) would have some respect and common courtesy so everyone would have a more pleasant gaming experience.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Wrong. I never once mentioned banning anyone except for those people using slurs/inappropriate language in WC. I WISH the spammers would stop, but I never advocated banning. My comments were my opinions. You were the one who blew them up and acted like I wanted to be the dictator of WC. I was just expressing my wish that the spammers(drama, sellers, and faction recruiters alike) would have some respect and common courtesy so everyone would have a more pleasant gaming experience.

So you're just whining?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Don't blame me because you assumed something that wasn't true. Name-calling now? What next? Gonna knock my books out of my hands?
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Analogy's still flawed because the people talking on WC is only yelling to certain people, while to others it might be just a mildly irritating murmur, and for some it may even be pleasant conversation that they enjoy listening to (or just drama that they want to see play out). Also, on a bus there are rules against distracting the driver b:chuckle

there's also the rules of common courtesy to your fellow man/woman/child, but that doen't apply in a video game. beyond that, technically i could submit a ticket saying the WC spammers are breaking one and/or multiple/all of the following in the ToS:
    "(f) "Stalk," threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;"
    (h) Impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in Interactive Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees;
    (i) Engage in, encourage, or promote any illegal activity, or any activity that violates these Terms or the Rules of Conduct;
    (n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

and i would be completely right. and per that, those users i reported would have to be considered for disciplinary action by the GMs b:cute

those side convorsations would be "general chat"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Don't blame me because you assumed something that wasn't true. Name-calling now? What next? Gonna knock my books out of my hands?

It was a question. Which you didn't answer...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    So you're just whining?

I personally wouldn't consider it whining... to bring another analogy here... it's like that guy that talks too loud in a restaurant. Do you wish he'd shut up? Maybe. Do you mention it to whoever you're with and maybe have a joke at his expense? Maybe.

He's the WC guy. You're someone that would just tune him out or listen to his talk with mild interest if you're bored. Vidalaire's one that would be annoyed, and wish he'd shut up, and make a quick comment to the person she's with.

That's initially what happened, then everything got blown up out of context.

I mean, if you look at that like whining (I don't, really), yeah... but IDK, I don't find anything wrong with Vidalaire's opinion, or her voicing it.

I have times when I wish the WC people would shut the hell up. I'm sure you do, too.

And both of you stop. >>" This is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: *scratches out 'yell about stalking friends on WC' on her To-Do list* >>
    edited November 2009
    Thank you IDaun. I was just expressing my opinions. That's what a forum is for. If you consider me whining, then every thread that isn't a FAQ or a guide is whining. I've said my piece and I'm tired of this. So, I'm out.
  • Eighttails - Dreamweaver
    Eighttails - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    what constitutes spam? here's an example:
    "pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew"
    (REALLY sent in WC a few minutes ago)

but what i really hate are idiots who WC things like this:
    "dammit, spam (player name) with randomness like Nao"!
    (this is another ACTUAL EXAMPLE!)

telling other players to "SPAM" someone else should be a BANNABLE offence-or at least get their WC privileges revoked!

i really wish it was possible to turn off WC WITHOUT turning off NORMAL chat also!

it could be worse: i've played games that had free WC and their version was constantly bombarded with messages like this:
    "buy gold from cheat.com!
    buy gold from cheat.com!
    buy gold from cheat.com!
    buy gold from cheat.com!
    buy gold from cheat.com!"
    which would be auto-repeated (all 5 lines!) about 5 times PER SECOND!
    at least PWI doesn't have THAT!
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    but what i really hate are idiots who WC things like this:
    "dammit, spam (player name) with randomness like Nao"!
    (this is another ACTUAL EXAMPLE!)

Awwww, where's the creativity going? b:sad
  • Eighttails - Dreamweaver
    Eighttails - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you want another example?
    "(player name) is a pervert! pm him for sex chat!"

now how would you like it if someone said that about YOU in World Chat?!
  • Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    On sanctuary it gets pretty nasty.

Ive already begun sending in a flood of screenshots to support. Every time I am logged on and I see inappropriate language or any nonsense spam, I SS, submit a ticket, and ask for the support team to put me on their payroll.

No kidding. I really do. A game shouldnt leave the players to moderate something that is in-game. Thats why I charge hundreds of dollars, to help pay for someone else to do it. Does it get done? Nope...instead, Im taking the time out of my leisure game time to sit there and moderate on WC spammers/pervs/attention w**res and snitch them out.

It sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    you want another example?
    "(player name) is a pervert! pm him for sex chat!"

now how would you like it if someone said that about YOU in World Chat?!

Me personally, I wouldn't mind.

But yeah, once it gets into talk about anything that you wouldn't talk about to, say, a 10 year old, stop it.

The spamming thing I don't really mind... I've had someone do that to me, and, it was a friend that did it... I wouldn't want him banned just for that. Kinda harsh.
  • Imamandamnit - Heavens Tear
    Imamandamnit - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    What the **** is wrong with using World chat. Not only does it draw attention to you, but you can make a point for everyone to see that you can't get with just normal chats :P

Most common points made in world chat

Omg takes 6 of you to kill me

Omg you use apoth in ganks

Omg im looking for a man/woman because i cant get one in rl

Hi pwi i <3 you all

<3<3<3

OM NOM NOM NOM

You fail fail fail fail

PW fails

Faillllllll

Then theres the thousands of totally unfunny jokes made every single day followed by 4 people typing LOLOLOL ROFLMFAO

I wont even get into the pervy **** that happens with the same old wc spammers at certain times of the day lmao

Yeah,everyone totally needs to see that same old **** every minute of everyday
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    they do say some pretty nasty things on world chat -.- i dont wanna hear about people's ***** or that someone gave alot of free ****-****
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009

OM NOM NOM NOM

you forgot OMG you used genies in duel/gank/pk~!
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you forgot OMG you used genies in duel/gank/pk~!

erm... isn't that what they are there for? to be used? LOL!

There is no honor in losing a fight no matter how 'honorable' you fought... your still dead. Far as I am concerned, use every low life nasty dirty trick you have in your book of low life nasty dirty tricks to win. When you walk away and they are pushing up petunias... you won, their dead. Says it all.

If they whine about it tell them Saitada says...

suckitup.jpg

~Saitada
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    hemoglobin wrote: »
    then they're ****

Then you are **** too - for asking questions on WC, when you can find answers on forums for free.
  • Cervantia - Sanctuary
    Cervantia - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you people are ridiculous, why are you condemning vidalaire's opinion?

It's not that Vidalaire has her own opinion, it's the fact that she claims it to be valid for a majority of players. If you want to have a serious discussion without flaming, talk for yourself - not for others. If you want to talk for others, make a wide scale survey among all age groups and gender within PWI and bring up some statistics* where you can base your clamings on. Too much work for a minor diskussion? That's right so shut it down and speak for yourself.

*Although statistics are pretty common for empirical analyses, they can never match 100% with the reality. Also they can be misinterpreted accidentially or on purpose. Do not trust statistics except when you have been the one faking them.

I for example don't speak on worldchat much myself, and when I do it's usually a silly joke or a reaction towards the joke of another person. The only reason why I have my wc turned on regularily is the drama! I feel my brain melts away when I have to look at "trading this for that with my unfair offer pm meeee" 100 times over and over again, and also I am aware that squads can spend hours with searching for barb and clerics. I mean my point is that for me these things are basically everytime the same. But the nonsence on wc usually is unique and very entertaining - I don't want to miss that.
    Cervantia BM 100 / Calivthel Cleric 101 / Davinella Archer 9x
    Kachengy Seeker 8x / Pianna Wizard 8x

I need neither goons nor powerleveling.
    Addicted to PW since Mai 09.
    Factionless.
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    I for example don't speak on worldchat much myself, and when I do it's usually a silly joke or a reaction towards the joke of another person. The only reason why I have my wc turned on regularily is the drama! I feel my brain melts away when I have to look at "trading this for that with my unfair offer pm meeee" 100 times over and over again, and also I am aware that squads can spend hours with searching for barb and clerics. I mean my point is that for me these things are basically everytime the same. But the nonsence on wc usually is unique and very entertaining - I don't want to miss that.

O.o <--- opposite. My brain melts at all the useless drama, and I find the trade/squad situations mildly interesting. XD

My personal opinion? Most people don't really give enough of a ****. The only time I've seen my friends ingame complain about world chat is when I brought it up first. But other than those times? They just tune out the stupidity.

Kinda like the other day I saw someone /spamming/ WC like it was West Arch. Sent the max ## of messages allowed (every six seconds) for about a minute. "WTS XXXXXXXX FOR XXX, XXXXX FOR XXX PM ME!!!" I was the ONLY person that told him to STFU.

If I were to randomly guess at statistics, I'd go... ~25% Dislike, ~25% Like, and the other ~50% Just don't give a damn.

Though, restrictions should be put on WC. Anything you wouldn't talk about to say, your mom, or a 10 year old girl don't talk about on world chat.