Using the world chat

hemoglobin
hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
man i see people tying about nonsense in the world chat all day long. but like dude thats expensive. it baffles me why you gonna spend millions just to talk in a chat when you can talk to your faction for free lol. i only use it sometimes like when i need a cleric or have a question that my guild cant answer. but seriously i mean they oughtta make it free.
Post edited by hemoglobin on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Because they can, and have millions to spend.

Use common sense to figure out why it isnt free.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    then they're ****
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    hemoglobin wrote: »
    then they're ****

Dude, people are free to do whatever they want. Its their money. Its a luxury that they want to use. Its like saying rich people are **** because they buy a car for a million dollars, when they can walk for free.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Fruitluips - Lost City
    Fruitluips - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Incidentally, the people using tons of teleacoustics and further feeding money to PWI are usually the first ones to complain about how greedy the company is
  • Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking about this today. I think some people just gotta have their attention, speaking in world chat definitely gets their name familiarized. Also it has to do with flaunting their $$. Anyway, I agree with the op, I'd rather chat with my close friends than a bunch of random people who like silly drama (no offense to silly drama addicts, just my pref). b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Incidentally, the people using tons of teleacoustics and further feeding money to PWI are usually the first ones to complain about how greedy the company is

This!! b:victory

I LOL every time I see someone in world chat complaining about PW.

On a side note, I have been making a fortune off world-chat nerds for the last two months. Every teleacoustic used makes my bank of 1000s worth a little bit more; what used to annoy me now makes me richsauced, I can't complain b:kiss
  • DeathsAccomp - Sanctuary
    DeathsAccomp - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking about this today. I think some people just gotta have their attention, speaking in world chat definitely gets their name familiarized. Also it has to do with flaunting their $$. Anyway, I agree with the op, I'd rather chat with my close friends than a bunch of random people who like silly drama (no offense to silly drama addicts, just my pref). b:chuckle

HEY!! I Find that offensive...

"Gets out needle with silly drama written on side"

On a further note. They prob did it to prevent noobs from spamming pwi.
    Meh I would just have made it lvl 25+
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I like WC. I never use it, because I don't have tele, but is for me very useful, when I'm boring and when looking for some fun. There is always somebody, who looking for people for FF,TT,RB,BH etc. So WC is for me very useful and I glad that people can use it. b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    hemoglobin wrote: »
    man i see people tying about nonsense in the world chat all day long. but like dude thats expensive. it baffles me why you gonna spend millions just to talk in a chat when you can talk to your faction for free lol. i only use it sometimes like when i need a cleric or have a question that my guild cant answer. but seriously i mean they oughtta make it free.

What the **** is wrong with using World chat. Not only does it draw attention to you, but you can make a point for everyone to see that you can't get with just normal chats :P
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Because not everyone gives a damn about your point. Most people are doing their own thing and don't care about what you're pissed about or what you're arguing about. If people are trying to sell something or looking for others for TT, BH, RB, or whatever, that's fine. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority when I say, I don't give a damn who won the TW, who killed/one shotted who, which guild sucks, who did this or that, why PW is dying, why you're leaving, etc etc etc...........

Stop forcing your opinions and comments onto others' screens. WC is not your own personal soap box. I, for one, am glad WC costs money. I have never considered leaving the game even through all this anni pack nonsense. However, if PWI ever made WC free, I'd be gone.
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Because not everyone gives a damn about your point. Most people are doing their own thing and don't care about what you're pissed about or what you're arguing about. If people are trying to sell something or looking for others for TT, BH, RB, or whatever, that's fine. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority when I say, I don't give a damn who won the TW, who killed/one shotted who, which guild sucks, who did this or that, why PW is dying, why you're leaving, etc etc etc...........

Stop forcing your opinions and comments onto others' screens. WC is not your own personal soap box. I, for one, am glad WC costs money. I have never considered leaving the game even through all this anni pack nonsense. However, if PWI ever made WC free, I'd be gone.

Take who won TW out of it and you get the majority. Personally, I'm interested in who won (if I'm not on/don't notice, I make a point of looking it up on the map). Everything else... yeah, 'cept for the leaving part. I'd just make something like trade chat my 'normal' chat setting. XD

Plus, attention isn't always good. >>' The general opinion of most WC people? Annoying. Rarely does someone with something good to say get on there.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009

I played a game that had free shouting.

Everyone just left it off not because of people shouting about drama, but people shouting about looking for squads and what they were trying to trade. b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
    edited November 2009
    Every1 can turn it off WC. You can switch to guild chat. Or maybe you can turn off just WC in game preferences, but I'm not sure about this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XbladeXBm - Dreamweaver
    XbladeXBm - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    They prob did it to prevent noobs from spamming pwi.

But noobs do spam WC all day, and most do it for the attention. Shame they dont realise everyone else thinks they are idiots.
    edited November 2009
    Every1 can turn it off WC. You can switch to guild chat. Or maybe you can turn off just WC in game preferences, but I'm not sure about this.

I don't think you can turn off WC. Besides, why should I have to? WC is a good tool to use to find squads and sell things quickly. I should be forced to forgo that because people can't control themselves? Switching to guild chat doesn't fix the problem. It just ignores it.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    I don't think you can turn off WC. Besides, why should I have to? WC is a good tool to use to find squads and sell things quickly. I should be forced to forgo that because people can't control themselves? Switching to guild chat doesn't fix the problem. It just ignores it.

Where does it say that World Chat is limited to what YOU think is a "good" usage of WC? Maybe I think looking for squads is spam on WC, and you should talk to your friends or ask in front of the dungeon for a squad. Maybe I think you should use the AH to sell things, or trade channel. I should be forced to forgo seeing all of WC because people want to sell on there and I don't want to see it?

It's not up to any of the people posting on this thread to say "This belongs on World Chat but this doesn't", unless it violates the Terms of Service. There's no rule that says "You can only trade and look for squads on World Chat", or "You can only talk to people that aren't in your faction on World Chat" or even "You can only talk once an hour on World Chat". It's not YOUR chat, so stop trying to impose YOUR rules on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    edited November 2009

I just make some advice for those who doesn't like WC. I like it. As I wrote few post above. Exactly for the same reason as you. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    It's not YOUR chat, so stop trying to impose YOUR rules on it.

Wrong. The fact that it comes across my screen without my permission and there's nothing I can do to stop it makes it my chat. I have a right to express my opinion about it the same as everyone else. I'm pretty sure the majority of people agree with me. Between the WC spam/PvP bragging and QQing/Faction drama or people looking for squads/selling things, most would take the latter. At least the latter has a purpose and is helpful to people. The former is just irritating and a waste of space.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Wrong. The fact that it comes across my screen without my permission and there's nothing I can do to stop it makes it my chat. I have a right to express my opinion about it the same as everyone else. I'm pretty sure the majority of people agree with me. Between the WC spam/PvP bragging and QQing/Faction drama or people looking for squads/selling things, most would take the latter. At least the latter has a purpose and is helpful to people. The former is just irritating and a waste of space to me.

Fixed.

You can turn off World Chat in clicking any tab under "Game" except for Common. So it is your permission, you have the choice to turn if off and there is something you can do to stop it.

What you think is "irritating and a waste of space" may not apply to the next person. The next step for this is to say "When I'm near someone they can't say anything that has to do with anything I dislike because it irritates me and I can turn it off BUT I DON'T WANT TO QQ".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    You can turn off World Chat in clicking any tab under "Game" except for Common. So it is your permission, you have the choice to turn if off and there is something you can do to stop it.

Again, why should I be forced to turn off WC? I have a use for it and I will not let spammers and QQers force me to turn it off. It's easy for a mid-80's cleric to find a BH 69 party, but try finding a BH89 or 79 party when most 90+ have already done it.
    What you think is "irritating and a waste of space" may not apply to the next person.

You're missing the point. The MAJORITY of the people think it is a waste of space. Do you not get the meaning of that word. That means most of the people do not like the spam. Too bad if some people like the spam. Most of us hate it and would like to see it go.
    The next step for this is to say "When I'm near someone they can't say anything that has to do with anything I dislike because it irritates me and I can turn it off BUT I DON'T WANT TO QQ".

That's not even remotely similar. If I'm near someone saying something I don't like, I have options. I can blacklist him or I can just leave the area. With WC, Blacklisting is not a practical option since there are more spammers and idiots than space in the blacklist and there's no way to get away from WC.
  • Phoenix - Dreamweaver
    Phoenix - Dreamweaver Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Wrong. The fact that it comes across my screen without my permission and there's nothing I can do to stop it makes it my chat. I have a right to express my opinion about it the same as everyone else. I'm pretty sure the majority of people agree with me. Between the WC spam/PvP bragging and QQing/Faction drama or people looking for squads/selling things, most would take the latter. At least the latter has a purpose and is helpful to people. The former is just irritating and a waste of space.

Wrong. You should invest less effort into righteous indignation and a poorly-wrought sense of self-entitlement, and more into critical thinking and problem solving. Here, I'll do it for you, just this once:

simplesolution.jpg

And no, it isn't your chat. You don't have to like it, but don't feign some moral high ground simply because you value your brand of petulance over that of world chat spammers.
    edited November 2009
    Wrong. You should invest less effort into righteous indignation and a poorly-wrought sense of self-entitlement, and more into critical thinking and problem solving. Here, I'll do it for you, just this once:

simplesolution.jpg

And no, it isn't your chat. You don't have to like it, but don't feign some moral high ground simply because you value your brand of petulance over that of world chat spammers.
    This exactly what I meant. But I'm not home so I couldn't try it. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Again, why should I be forced to turn off WC? I have a use for it and I will not let spammers and QQers force me to turn it off. It's easy for a mid-80's cleric to find a BH 69 party, but try finding a BH89 or 79 party when most 90+ have already done it.

You're missing the point. The MAJORITY of the people think it is a waste of space. Do you not get the meaning of that word. That means most of the people do not like the spam. Too bad if some people like the spam. Most of us hate it and would like to see it go.

You're missing the point. World Chat was never created to merely be for trying to find parties or sell items. In fact, it wasn't made with ANY rules in mind beyond not going against the ToS. I find it mildly annoying when a faction talks to each other over World Chat, but I know that if I'm truly annoyed by it, I can turn it off. If there were rules saying that World Chat is only to be used for what Vidalaire deems appropriate for her to see since she refuses to turn it off, I'd understand why you seem to think that your opinion is so much more important than the people that actually talk on World Chat.

And as for your majority comment...not even a majority of the players use the forum, let alone are presenting opinions on this thread. Obviously players do not think it's a "waste of space", otherwise they wouldn't be talking on it, now would they? The people that spend money and use World Chat have a right to use it for what they want to.
    That's not even remotely similar. If I'm near someone saying something I don't like, I have options. I can blacklist him or I can just leave the area. With WC, Blacklisting is not a practical option since there are more spammers and idiots than space in the blacklist and there's no way to get away from WC.

Should I reiterate how to turn World Chat off? Or will you just scroll up and read what now multiple people have posted? Or are you still of the opinion that you have to right to control what's said on World Chat, so you can use it for what YOU want to use it for but people who wish to talk on it can't use it for that purpose?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    You all keep saying to turn it off. That doesn't solve the problem. I have already said I have a use for WC. Turning it off denies me that option. I am not trying to control what is said on WC. I have NO control. That's my whole point. I don't like the morons who use the WC as their own personal chat and would like to see them stop. That's my opinion. You don't like it, too bad. I'm free to express that.

However, it would be nice to have some moderation for WCing. I've seen racial slurs, sexual terms, and all sorts of inappropriate things spewed on WC. You even post one of those on the forums and you're banned for a month. Do it on WC and nothing happens.

EDIT: True a majority of the players don't post on the forums, but a majority doesn't use WC either. It's a small minority of people who use WC. That's why you see the same names over and over again. And I'm pretty sure the majority would like to see the spam stop.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    You all keep saying to turn it off. That doesn't solve the problem. I have already said I have a use for WC. Turning it off denies me that option. I am not trying to control what is said on WC. I have NO control. That's my whole point. I don't like the morons who use the WC as their own personal chat and would like to see them stop. That's my opinion. You don't like it, too bad. I'm free to express that.

And I'm free to express that you have absolutely no right to say "I have an option to turn off World Chat but I refuse to use it so World Chat should be limited to what I want to see."
    However, it would be nice to have some moderation for WCing. I've seen racial slurs, sexual terms, and all sorts of inappropriate things spewed on WC. You even post one of those on the forums and you're banned for a month. Do it on WC and nothing happens.

Agreed.
    EDIT: True a majority of the players don't post on the forums, but a majority doesn't use WC either. It's a small minority of people who use WC. That's why you see the same names over and over again. And I'm pretty sure the majority would like to see the spam stop.

But the small minority of people who use World Chat are giving 10 cents to the company every time a little line pops up on your screen. I scrolled up to count how many WCs I've seen that were useless since I logged on just a little bit ago. 70. That's 7 more dollars right there in a few minutes for PWI. A minority that spends a large amount of money and are content seems like they'd be a bit more important than people that spend less money on disposables regularly and are discontent.

Side note: Some of the "useless" WCs I counted were:

Player1: WB b:cry I MISSED CHUUUUUUb:heart
    Player2: cant u guys just wisper those stuff rather then wasting tele
    Player3: No we cannot whisper rather than waste a tele :O
    Player4: says the guy that's always on wc =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phoenix - Dreamweaver
    Phoenix - Dreamweaver Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    You all keep saying to turn it off. That doesn't solve the problem.

We can't fix you.
    And I'm pretty sure the majority would like to see the spam stop.

I'm pretty sure the majority don't give a damn whether there's spam on world chat or not - "spam" being wholly dependent on an individual's opinion. My opinion is that most people are idiotic, and most everything they say on world chat that doesn't serve some cold, utilitarian purpose a la grouping, faction-hocking, and selling items is spam, but at the same time it's not hard to scan past it with my eyes. I don't need the game to perform a function that my eyes can do in a fraction of a second. I'm not that lazy. Yet.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    But the small minority of people who use World Chat are giving 10 cents to the company every time a little line pops up on your screen. I scrolled up to count how many WCs I've seen that were useless since I logged on just a little bit ago. 70. That's 7 more dollars right there in a few minutes for PWI. A minority that spends a large amount of money and are content seems like they'd be a bit more important than people that spend less money on disposables regularly and are discontent.

aadi, you have one major flaw in this portion of your argument. those who are in landholding factions dont need to spend RL cash on teles, even at 20k a pop, they have plenty of ingame coin to throw away on them.

hell, i'm only lvl 58 (well was before i quit this character), and i could afford to purchase a steady stream of teles just from grinding with only half my attention.. if i were focused on grinding, i probably could have easily kept a stack of teles to spam up world chat with the best of them b:laugh

now imagine me at level 80+... you only make more and more coin thru grinding as you level up each 10-level span (20-30, 30-40, etc) due mainly to DQ, but also coin drops get better and better the higher the mob lvl

so yea, simple point- teles are insanely easy to get with ingame coin, don't assume they are spending RL cash on teles (exception is Wizzeled.... lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
    edited November 2009
    Phoenix, everytime you flame me you're just undermining your credibility. Keep it up.

You really want to turn this into a CS vs Non-CS issue? Cause you're going to **** off a lot of people. Some of the biggest CS users don't WC and a lot of the WCers don't use the CS at all. They just buy teles from catshops. I have no problem ignoring WC when i need to. It's almost a requirement to play this game, but I dislike having to scroll up though a sea of yellow to see what a faction or squadmate was trying to tell me.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    but I dislike haivng to scroll up though a sea of yellow to see what a faction or squadmate was trying to tell me.

you have just posted a -facepalm- statement. in a case like that, just switch to the squad/faction chat for a sec to check, then switch back

you should be on squad chat while squaded anyways, but thats a whole other debate >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you people are ridiculous, why are you condemning vidalaire's opinion? i for one, hate the attention seeking spammers, so why should i have to A. fill up a blacklist (which can only hold so many people) or B. turn it off completely to avoid seeing such nonsense.
    It's almost a requirement to play this game, but I dislike haivng to scroll up though a sea of yellow to see what a faction or squadmate was trying to tell me.
    it sucks, if i want to look for sales or parties, i have to filter through a sea of garbage, it IS 'our chat box' when its on our screen, and i have a right to see whats in it if i want to.

world chat is no soap box, and no one really cares what half the world's opinions are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.