Taurzo's Ultimate Mage Guide

Options
Taurzo - Lost City
Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Wizard
Taurzo’s Ultimate Mage Guide
Abbreviations you should know before playing:
http://pw.mmosite.com/guide/2008-12-07/abbreviation.shtml

NOTICE: My guide is opinionated on what I’VE found to work most out of my experience playing. It is geared toward PvP style play. I’ve also gathered material from encounters with other mages who I’ve found to be successful at the class along with information I’ve gathered on the forums. Furthermore, I’m cutting to the chase and not looking back on things that “may” work. If you have a different opinion great, wonderful, go and make your own friggin guide.
So you chose to play Mage
So you decided to play mage huh? Nice. Mages are a highly underrated and underestimated class. Good for us? You bet. Good for them? No way. However, mages are never a real threat until higher levels (80ish). So to play a mage you have to meet a few qualifications:
    Plan and strategize

Mage is the most strategic class in the game you have to cast the right spells, kite, use pots and use genie skills all at precisely the right time. One wrong move could flip the battle out of your favor. You will have to master kiting and blink thus using them effectively to alter the tide of battle. If you don’t like the sound of a strategical class then this is not the class for you.
      Willing to lose

Players, especially higher level players, realize that mages are most vulnerable earlier on. So you WILL be PK’d, get use to it. Instead of getting pissed off, get even. A lot of PKers don’t level fast and thus if you work hard enough you can catch up to them and guess what… PK THEIR SORRY BUTT! Mages are known for their minimal HP, so adjust and plan on adding shards to increase your health.
        Cash Shop

Some people argue with me over this point however, if you want to be a great mage you are going to have to cash shop. Playing a bomb mage is going to get expensive.
          Have determination like no other

You are playing a class that everyone disses, even your fellow mages talk **** about how weak and worthless a mage is. IGNORE IT. Mage isn’t a class you can just pick up and be good at. It takes determination and intelligence to get good with.
          Builds

Arcane (Pure)
          Every 2 levels
          Magic +9
          Strength +1

Arcane, at lower levels, isn’t really that impressive they get pwn’d easily and don’t deal to much more damage more than a LA mage. However, at higher levels, an arcane mage deals a significant amount of damage more than the LA mage (not including crits; just general damage.) Also because of diminishing returns the arcane mage begins to catch up to the LA mage in P.Def (if you refine and use shards WHICH YOU SHOULD) the only difference is that unlike the LA mage the arcane mage is still a nuker.
          Light Armor (LA)
          Every level
          Magic +3
          Dexterity +1
          Strength +1
          A light armor mage is what I recommend until your level 80-90ish and can restat and go pure. During the pre 8x LA is the only way to go. You take less physical damage, take more magical but a lot of RPKers are Melee, and deal near or around the same magical damage as an arcane mage. Also mages look cooler in armor. Later on in the game though, pure’s begin to catch up in the P.Def department except they’re not nerfed and do some serious amount of damage. However, the crit of an LA mage is unrivaled and can easily destroy most things.

Other builds include VIT mage, Hybrid, Melee, and Heavy Armor. The amount you get for each point in you allocate in VIT is “10” this is ****; use HP Shards instead to achieve a better result. Hybrid may sound good and may even work at first but later in the game it boils to ****. Melee and Heavy GTFO they’re pointless, useless, and not even worthy of discussing any further.
          Shards
          Arcane mages should imbue GARNETS (P.DEF) and CITRINES (HP) to their equipment. With the majority of shards easily being the garnets. Once you reach level 70 gear up in no lower grade shards than G6 (Beautiful Shards).

LA mages should imbue CITRINES (HP) to their equipment. I use to think Sapphires would help, but don't go that way. HP all the way when you are an LA mage. End of story.

NOTICE: YOU SHOULD ALWAYS EQUIP SAPPHIRES AND ONLY SAPPHIRES IN YOUR WEAPON!
          Post edited by Taurzo - Lost City on

Comments

• Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options
            The Skills
            All information regarding mage skills was borrowed from www.ecatomb.net
            All skills have been re-examined and revised from my older post.

FYI – All skills listed are in Sage/Demon. That is they are passed the max level of 10 to help people understand EXACTLY what’s going on later in the game.

Pyrogram - Sage wins -
            Using the force of the Raging Flame, cast out onto the enemy a blazing pyrogram. Inflicts Fire damage equal to 100% of weapon damage plus base magic damage plus 3620.0

Sage version grants a 20% chance to gain 30 Chi on a successful hit.
            Demon version reduces channeling time to 1.2 seconds.

(WOW a whopping .3 seconds gone if you go Demon…. Sage FTW)
            --
            Gush - Sage wins -

Force a powerful Water column to spew up from the ground causing enemies to suffer Water damage equal to base magic damage plus 100% of weapon damage plus 3390.0. Has a 95% chance to slow enemy's speed by 40% for 8.0 seconds

Sage version increases slow speed to 45% and increases duration of slow by one second.
            Demon version gives extra 600 damage.

(600 damage really isn’t distinguishable later in the game; it’s not a solid amount of damage. Thus the 5% added slow and 1 second longer duration is a better choice)
            ---

Stone Rain - Sage wins -

A gigantic rock slams onto the target inflicting Earth damage equal to base magic attack plus 200% of weapon damage plus 4804.0

Sage version reduces channeling time to 1.6 seconds.
            Demon version gives a 20% chance to stun the enemy for 5 seconds.

(Sage reduces channeling time by.4 seconds while demon gives a 20% chance to stun. IMO sage wins only because 20% isn’t much and will hardly happen. Furthermore, sage helps to make stone rain nearly as fast as program.)
            ---

Pyroshell –Sage wins -

Use your energy to form a Fire-resistant barrier around you. Adds 120% Fire resistance and increases HP regeneration by 12 per second for 15 minutes.

Sage version always gives 150% Fire resistance increase.
            Demon version always increases HP regeneration to 15 points per second

(For an LA mage Sage is the only option, however I can understand a pure valuing Demon more. Yet I think that an extra 3 HP regen per second is insignificant to and addition 30% Fire resist boost)

---
            Glacial Embrace - Sage wins -

Uses vigorous energy to form an icy barrier around oneself. Adds 120% Water resistance and increases Mana regeneration by 12 points per second for 15 minutes.

Sage version always increases Water resistance to 150%.
            Demon version always increases mana regeneration to 15 points per second.

(For an LA mage Sage is the only option, however I can understand a pure valuing Demon more. Yet I think that an extra 3 MP regen per second is insignificant to and addition 30% Water resist boost)

---
            Stone Barrier - Demon wins -

Focus all of your energy to form an Earthen Barrier around you. Adds 120% Earth resistance and an extra 120% physical defense for 15 minutes.

Sage version always increases Earth resistance to 150%.
            Demon version always increases physical defense to 150%

(For an LA mage Sage is the best option; however for a Pure Demon is the way to go. An addition 30% P.Def may not seem like much but it ends up being a better help in the long run. I find any increase in P.Def to beat resistance to MG type spells. Thus Demon takes the cake on this one)

---
            Crown of Flame – Sage wins-

Place a blazing crown of Fire on the opponent's head. It burns, causing Fire damage equal to base magic damage plus 5693.0 over 15 seconds.

Sage version gives 15% bonus Fire damage.
            Demon version decreases the duration of the burn.

(15% more fire damage or lessen the seconds of the burn still causing the same damage, when you first think about it you make think Demon. I did at first. But if you add Sage Crown of Flame with Sage Fire Mastery you’re getting an additional 40% bonus Fire damage…. Sage FTW)

---
            Hailstorm - Demon wins -

Conjure a hailstorm to rain down on the target causing it and all surrounding enemies to suffer Water damage equal to base magic attack plus 3160.0 of weapon damage. Has a 33% chance to freeze enemies for 4.0 seconds. Higher Lv. gives wider range

Sage version grants an extra 3160 Water damage to frozen enemies.
            Demon version increases chance to freeze to 50%.

(With the lack of control spells and a higher chance of happening I’m going to have to go with Demon on this one. Demon hailstorms effect is far more reliable. I find myself using hailstorm for its freeze ability not its damage in PvP.)

---
            Divine Pyrogram – Sage wins -

Using the divine secrets of Fire cast a searing spell on the enemy to inflict Fire damage equal to base magic damage plus 300% of weapon damage plus 4903.0.

Sage version reduces enemy Fire resistance by 20% for 15 seconds.
            Demon version reduces channeling time by .5 seconds.

(Reducing the casting time of this spell is nice and .5 seconds is also a pretty nice chunk however, a 20% decrease of Fire resistance for 15 seconds is more appealing to my play style.)

---
            Morning Dew - Sage wins -

Recovers target's HP by 1350 points plus 40% of base magic damage.

Sage version gives a 10% chance to fully heal the target.
            Demon version also heals the target over time, recovering 200 HP three times at three second intervals.

(I say Sage wins b/c of 2 things: the first being that the chance to fully heal target is AWESOME even though it probably rarely happens; furthermore in battle your opponent can knock away 200HP regen [totaling 600] like nothing so it doesn't seem to really be that effective)

---
            Pitfall - Sage wins -

Manipulate the divine force of the Earth and summon a mystic sand swirl underneath the enemy, inflicting Earth damage equal to base magic damage plus 5891.0 over 15 seconds and slowing the enemy's speed by 15%. Has a 15% chance to freeze the target for 3 seconds.

Sage version increases the slow effect to 20%.
            Demon version increases freeze chance to 33%

(I like the reliability of Sage, it’s GUARNATEED a 20% slow, while Demon has a 33% chance freeze for only 3 seconds… )

---
            The Dragon's Breath - Sage wins -

The power of the Fire God surrounds your body in a blazing vortex. All enemies 12 meters around you suffer constant Fire damage. Consumes 350 Mana every 3 seconds, inflicting Fire damage equal to base magic damage plus 4800.0. Casting will not stop until Mana is depleted or the spell is canceled.

Sage version gives a 20% chance to stun.
            Demon version has a 25% chance to gain 500 life.

(The chance of this spell to stun takes the cake; stunning your opponent, making them temporary trapped in this AoE is far greater than gaining a small amount of life. Sadly the probability of either of them happening is rather low. )

---
            Wellspring Quaff - Sage wins -

A sip of Nature's Wellspring increases your maximum mana capacity. For 30 minutes maximum mana is increased by 60%.

Sage version gives a 100% bonus to magic attack for 15 seconds.
            Demon version gives a 20% channeling speed increase for 15 seconds

(Increasing channeling speed is awesome, don’t get me wrong however a 100% magic attack increase is over the same amount of time seems to me like a no-brainer.)

---
            Will of the Phoenix - Demon wins -

Launches a burning phoenix to attack all the enemies in a straight line 18.0 meters in front of you and knock them 18.0 meters back. Inflicts Fire damage equal to base magic damage plus 100% of weapon damage plus 5395.0.

Sage version has 1 second reduced cool down.
            Demon version has area of effect increased by 50%.

(OMG a one second cool down!! Now I know I can **** face -_- . Demon easily takes Will of the Phoenix)

---
            Frostblade – Demon wins-

Breathe an icy breath onto a squad member's weapon allowing giving their normal attacks extra Water damage equal to 40% of your base magic attack. Lasts 15 minutes

Sage version increases effect duration to 30 minutes.
            Demon version always increases bonus damage to 50%.

(Demon does more damage for a shorter period of time, however Sage lasts longer AND in the long run does more damage. This is based purely on a one-time cast. Overall if you rebuff allies with Demon Frostblade it equals the same duration as sage and does 50% more damage per buff duration [does not stack].)
            ---

Sandstorm - Demon wins -

Project a powerful wave of sand onto a target. Inflicts Earth damage equal to base magic attack plus 300% of weapon damage plus 6560.0 and decreases enemy's accuracy by 50% for 10 seconds.

Sage version reduced enemy accuracy by 50%.
            Demon version grants an additional 1200 damage.

(I would say that 1200 damage is pretty nice stacked on to this move; furthermore I'm not too sure how the Sage move benefits b/c it already decreases enemy accuracy by 50%)
            [if it makes the enemies accuracy decrease by 100% then that would be a win for the Sage in my book].

---
            Emberstorm -Demon Wins-

Charge for up to 3.2 seconds to attack enemies in a 12 meter radius at the cost of up to 60% of your HP. Inflicts 5000 Fire damage, each HP spent dealing 4.0 damage.

Sage version reduces damage taken by 25%.
            Demon version has a 50% chance to stun enemies for 3 seconds.

(I hardly recommend using this move at all, it’s pretty crappy. However, I’d say that Demon wins this move because you don’t have to fully charge Emberstorm for the effect to be beneficial. Yes a 25% damage reduction is nice, especially since it ALWAYS active, however the damage this move does is minimal compared to others later on so I’d only use it for a chance to stun)

----
            Glacial Snare -Sage Wins-

Launch multiple ice arrows at the enemy to trap them in an ice prison causing Water damage equal to base magic damage plus 300% of weapon damage plus 6171.0. Has a 95% chance to slow enemy's speed by 80% for 6.0 seconds.

Sage version reduces enemy Water resistance by 20% for 15 seconds.
            Demon version has reduces channeling time to 2.1 seconds.

(Demon reduces channeling time by .4 seconds which is nice however, I much rather prefer decreasing my opponents water resistance by 20% for 15 seconds)
            ---

Force of Will -Sage Wins-

Launches an invisible explosion at the target, interrupting it's current channeling, silencing it and making it unable to attack for 5.0 seconds.

Sage version adds the 3 meter area of effect.
            Demon version reduces cool down by two seconds.

(If I’m reading this right Sage FoW turns this move into an AoE which is super nice. A 2 second cool down time doesn’t entice me as much as an AoE FoW.)
            ---

Distance Shrink – Demon wins -

Uses the divine force of the Earth to instantly teleport 25 meters forward.

Sage version reduces the Chi cost by 10.
            Demon version increases teleport distance to 30 meters.

(Demon wins because an additional 5 meters can make a difference believe it or not. Mages blink to get out of an opponent’s combat range (except for EA’s getting out of their combat range is a little different than you’d think)
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options
            ---
            Blade Tempest –Sage wins-

Focus all of one's vigor to create countless flames that flies towards the enemy, causing the target and all enemies 12.0 meters around the target to suffer both physical and Fire damage equal to base magic damage plus 200% of weapon damage plus 6200.0.

Sage version has a 50% chance cast at the cost of only one Spark.
            Demon version has a 50% chance to interrupt enemy channeling.
            (To cast this powerful move with only one spark is FTW right off the back. And a 50% chance to do so is great. Considering we’re the only ones with high channeling time I find that Demon BT would only be effective on other Wiz , Clerics, and maybe Venos)

---
            Black Ice Dragon Strike –Sage wins-

Focus one's energy to summon a Water dragon that soars up to the sky and smashes onto the target and all surrounding enemies. Target and enemies in a 12.0 meter radius around target suffer Water damage equal to base magic damage plus 500% of weapon damage plus 13955.0. Has a 95% chance to slow enemies by 60% for 8.0 seconds.

Sage version gives a 50% chance to increase magic critical hit rate by 30% for 10 seconds.
            Demon version gives a a 20% chance to cast without using Spark

(Demon would have this if the probability was a tad bit higher; however a 30% magic crit increase for 10 seconds with odds of a 50% chance seems more effective)
            ---
            Mountain's Seize – Sage wins -

Use all of one's energy to invoke the spirit of the Mountain. Slams the target and all enemies 12.0 meters around the target dealing Earth damage equal to base magic attack plus 500% of weapon damage plus 12149.0. Has a 95% chance to stun all enemies for 6.0 seconds.

Sage version has a 50% chance to cast at a cost of only one Spark.
            Demon version extends range by 5 meters.
            (Sage wins Mountain’s Seize because the chance of casting with one spark is nicer than a 5 meter radius increase)
            ---

Fire Mastery -Sage Wins-

Increases Fire magic damage by 20%.

Sage version always increases Fire damage by 25%.
            Demon version increases critical hit rate by 1%.

(As a mage I’m all about increasing my elemental damage, a 1% crit increase is super nice yet I want something that is more reliable. Furthermore, Sage is beneficial to all my fire spells.)
            ---
            Water Mastery -Sage Wins-

Increases all Water magic damage by 20%.

Sage version always increases water damage by 25%.

(As a mage I’m all about increasing my elemental damage, a 1% crit increase is super nice yet I want something that is more reliable. Furthermore, Sage is beneficial to all my water spells.)
            ---
            Earth Mastery -Sage Wins-

Increases Earth damage by 20%.

Sage version always increases Earth damage by 25%.

(As a mage I’m all about increasing my elemental damage, a 1% crit increase is super nice yet I want something that is more reliable. Furthermore, Sage is beneficial to all my earth spells.)
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options
            Skills not affected by Sage/Demon choice:

Undine Strike

During the fight with the Winged Elves, the grand Wizard Tien suggested that the Wizards ought learn from the Winged Elves and their combat spells. Hence two band-new spells were developed to greatly enhance the battlefield activities of the Wizard. Undine Strike was one of them. As one of the most effective elemental spells, Undine Strike adopts a part of its essence from the Winged Elves’ Elemental Seal. It also deals magic damage to the target. However, because grand Wizard Tien was too specialized in Earth element, the spell deals lesser Earth damage to the target, but reduces it’s water, fire, and earth resistance by 60% for 12 seconds.
            ---
            Soporific Whisper

The other spell developed by grand Wizard Tien. It is the Wizard version of Chromatic Seal. Puts the target to sleep for 4 seconds.
            ---
            Elemental Shell

When the Allied Forces were fighting the Wraiths, people found that Barbarians were relatively more vulnerable to spells than the others. The Wizards thus discovered a new method to aid their comrades. By manipulating the certain elemental arrays, the Wizards managed to temporarily increase some of their allies’ elemental resistance. Target’s metal, water, fire, and earth resistance increases by 1000% for 4 seconds. Also has a 10% chance to dispel all the status ailments on the caster.
            ---
            Elemental Invocation

Utilizes elemental energies to attack the enemy. The power of water washes away target’s spirit by reducing target’s mana by 50% of magic damage over 30 seconds. The power of fire burns up target’s soul by making it lose 20 chi for each hit over 30 seconds. The power of earth strikes target’s body, inflicting earth damage 60% of caster’s maximum mana. The powers of water and fire affect only non-monster targets. Caster’s mana is still spent even if the spell is interrupted.
            ---
            Manifest Virtue

As the recent warring intensifies, the Wizards have managed to create a new method of temporarily enhancing their combat capabilities. This technique involves imbuing their weapons directly with Mana and Chi.
            Increases magic attack by (maximum mana/100)%. Lasts for 30 seconds.

Triple Spark and Chi Move

Celestial Eruption (Sage Triple Spark) -

Discharge three Spark to recover 20% of your maximum MP,
            acquire 700% extra magical attack from weapons for
            15 seconds, and reduce all damage taken by 25%. Grants
            invincibility for 3 seconds after the discharge.

Demonic Eruption (Demon Triple Spark) -

Discharge three Spark to recover 20% of your maximum
            MP, acquire 700% extra magical attack from weapons
            for 15 seconds, and increase attack rate by 25%. Grants
            invincibility for 3 seconds after the discharge.

Master Li's Technique (Sage Chi Move) -

Cooldown: 60 Seconds
            Charge and gain 50 Chi instantly.

Mo Zun's Taunt (Demon Chi Move) -

Cooldown: 30 Seconds
            Stifle the opponent and decrease its Chi by 50.
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options
            Sage or Demon

(working on)
            Skill Leveling
            A lot of the guides I read provide a list of skills that the mage should level in order of importance. I’ve never completely agreed with the ones the other guide makers have chosen, not to say their way is wrong, it’s just not the way for me. The following is the list of skills and the order I suggest leveling them:

Primary:

• Pyrogram
            • Gush
            • Stone Rain
            • Stone Barrier
            • Distance Shrink
            • Sandstorm
            • Force Of Will
            • Essential Sutra (doesn’t level)
            • Undine Strike (doesn’t level)

Secondary:

• Hailstorm
            • Will of the Phoenix
            • Dragon’s Breath (for Zhenning @ higher levels)
            • Pyroshell
            • Glacial Embrace
            • Fire Mastery
            • Water Mastery
            • Earth Mastery
            • Blade Tempest
            • Black Ice Dragon Strike

Third String:

• Glacial Snare
            • Soporific Whisper (doesn’t level)
            • Elemental Shell (doesn’t level)
            • Wellspring Quaff
            • Hailstorm
            • Divine Pyrogram

Left Over’s:

• Morning Dew
            • Mountain’s Seize
            • Frostblade
            • Pitfall
            • Crown of Flames
            • Emberstorm

Endgame:

• Manifest Virtue (doesn’t level)
            • Elemental Invocation (doesn’t level)
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options
            PvP

(working on)
            Against Barbs
            Against Venos (w and w/o a nix or herc)
            Against BMs
            Against Archers
            Against Clerics
            Against Mages (LA and Pure)
            Genies

(working on)
            Skills/ Attributes/ Affinities/ Evolutions/ etc
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options
            Equipment
            There are 4 things that both LA and Pure mages must look for when looking to purchase, manufacture, or use dropped gear. They are:

1) Be sure that the gear has ALL 5 elemental resistances

2) Look for gear that gives you extra HP just remember that every point in VIT only adds +10 to your health.

3) Starting at lvl.30 stay away from basic white named gear as best you can, look for multiple blue and purple star gear at the least.

4) Upon reaching lvl 60 try to go molder and HH as much as you can. This is not an easy task however, it pays off.

There are different things mages of different builds should look for let me go over those.

For LA Mage:

Suggested Weapon: Magic Swords

Suggested Ornaments (Belt and Necklace): One P.Def and One M.Def

Look for +crit gear as much as possible, it isn't cheap but it is extremely beneficial to have a high crit % as an LA mage. Also, look for +mag in your equipment as often as possible because LA mages do less damage than Pure do to their lack of point allocated to MAG.

For Pure Mage:

Suggested Weapon: Magic Swords or Wands

Suggested Ornaments (Belt and Necklace): Two P.Def

As a pure mage the only barrier you really have is the long channeling times. Thus, it is important to reduce that by as much as possible. Look for -channeling gear and gear that also give you bonus P.Res.
            Craftsmanship
            Upon reaching level 5 you are given the quests allowing you to become a Blacksmith, Craftsman, Tailor, and Apothecary. All are nice to have but none is more beneficial to a mage than Apothecary. As a mage I cannot stress enough the importance of going Apothecary. Level your Apothecary skill first before leveling others and be sure to reach the new level as soon as you can.

Here are some of the pots you can create as an apothecary:

-Movement speed increase
            -Reduce physical damage
            -Gain one spark instantly
            -Reduce magical damage (for LA)

and so many more... BELIEVE ME Apothecary won't let you down even though it can get extremely tedious and time consuming.
          • FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver
            FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver Posts: 463 Arc User
            edited July 2009
            Options
            seems a very good guide
            btw dont forget to talk about chi demon/sage buff and spark eruption to be complect^^
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Devilmages - Sanctuary
            Devilmages - Sanctuary Posts: 195 Arc User
            edited July 2009
            Options
            nicely done i appluad :) its already faved so i use this guide more than the others
            i like pie
          • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
            CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
            edited July 2009
            Options
            Its a good guide. But Pandora's guide says the same, and much more. It doesnt have anything new you cant find in there. That's why Pandora's guide always will be guide number 1 for me.

btw: Demon mountain seize doesnt give +5 meter radius. Its +5 range.
            btw 2: Sapphire shards in LA armor? Will not add much defense, will not make much difference when a cleric casts Cyclone. Citrine all the way.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Devilmages - Sanctuary
            Devilmages - Sanctuary Posts: 195 Arc User
            edited July 2009
            Options
            Its a good guide. But Pandora's guide says the same, and much more. It doesnt have anything new you cant find in there. That's why Pandora's guide always will be guide number 1 for me.

btw 2: Sapphire shards in LA armor? Will not add much defense, will not make much difference when a cleric casts Cyclone. Citrine all the way.

i know it may be your opinion but thats a pk guide i moslty look for pve guide but its jsut my opinon and nothing else
            i like pie
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited July 2009
            Options

First off, I'd like to say thanks for the compliments both from you and Devilmages. I went off of Pandora's guide for a long time and personally it is a great guide. Furthermore I know his has a lot more stuff in it regarding TW, etc.. etc.. My guide is still incomplete and I will update it as I become more experienced in those fields.

Secondly, thanks for letting me know that it's not radius, but range I will be sure to change that xP

Thirdly, yes citrines are most vital to an LA however, LA builds have a SERIOUS disadvantage against Pure builds. We do less damage to them and the only real move of choice is BT until we get Undine. Yet practically every skill in the Robe's arsenal is bad for us due to the fact that they hit for more damage then us. True BT usually pummels Robes but an experienced Pure mage understands this and when they see you getting ready to cast BT (which takes time) then they can FoW, Soporific Whisper, or ES.

Lastly, lets say all my gear is 3 socketed (minus the rings, ornaments, and weapon) that leaves me with 6 equipment with each have 3 sockets. A) I shard all my equipment with Beautiful Citrines adding +33 to HP per garnet so 6 x 3 = 18. 18 x 33 = 594. So that way you will get approx 600 more HP then the mage who has no sockets but the same gear. Instead lets say that I equip my gear with 2 sockets being Beautiful Citrines and the last being a Beautiful Sapphire. 6 x 2 = 12. 12 X 33 = 396. So that mage will have approximately 200 HP less than the full citrine mage however, the mag. def will be, 6 X 1 = 6. 6 x 23 = 138, 138 points higher in each element which at lvl 70 gives roughly about 2% increase. A 200 HP difference isn't much. And at higher lvls, you won't even notice it.

btw: refining gear gives you more HP as well.
          • mazzle
            mazzle Posts: 0 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            I couldnt say this guide is good or bad, there isnt anything in this thread that hasnt been said in other guides before and considering what your lvl is you simply took information from other threads, imo someone that isnt 99 with all of his class skills shouldnt be giving advise on which sage/demon skills are better just because he looked at ecatomb and made an assumtion.
          • Mizorie - Lost City
            Mizorie - Lost City Posts: 598 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Hell kicks sages **** in stoneRain. 20% it a 1/5 chance, its a stun its a very good skill.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Dalamaar: Mizorie you have no soul.
          • FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver
            FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver Posts: 463 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Hell kicks sages **** in stoneRain. 20% it a 1/5 chance, its a stun its a very good skill.

well imo no, the skill have 6sec CT,2sec channel and 1.4cast....what makes 20% chance to stun a jk.
            -0.4sec in CT seems better for a skill u will use when u can...also faster skills=more chi =P
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Fireblood - Harshlands
            Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            True enough the stone rain is very nice but sage pyro and 99 skills are too dam awesome to ignore.
            Quit.
          • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
            edited August 2009
            Options
            You guys are saying that decreased channeling on stone rain is better then 20 % stun chance.
            You are also saying that decreased channeling on pyrogram is worse then 20 % to get 30 chi.

The decreased channeling on stone rain from 2.0 to 1.6 is a 20% reduction. The decreased channeling on pyrogram from 1.5 to 1.2 is also a 20 % reduction.

So you guys say that the 20 % on stone rain is better then the stun chance. But the 20 % on pyrogram is worse then the 20% chi chance. So what you are saying is, that the 20 % chi chance is better then the 20 % stun chance.

If I am casting a skill. And I throw a special dice that has a 20 % of getting something good. And I would get that 20 %. I really, really would rather have the target to be stuned for 5 seconds, then an extra 30 chi.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Kristoph - Lost City
            Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            lol @ mdef shards? I hope that's a joke, LA wizards only use HP shards in gear unless they're ****. Anyone with common sense knows sapphire shards don't add a lot of mdef. The difference it will make on your 3-4k mdef will be useless, and it doesn't help with melee classes at all.

Pyrogram: Toss-up, amazing DPS vs fast chi gain
            Gush: Sage gush is pathetic, Demon Gush is much better
            Glacial Embrace: which idiot uses this for anything other than MP recovery at 9x and higher? Demon wins
            Crown of Flame: Why did you list this? Nobody uses it
            Pitfall: lol you're on a pvp server, who gives a F about slow? Demon all the way
            Force of Will: because a 3m AOE will hit more than 1 target 1/100 times you cast it. Demon pls.
            Distance Shrink: What? Being able to spam this for half the price gives sage even more chi, Sage>Demon. 5m is nothing honestly, and you don't use this to run from EAs, lol.
            Masteries: opinionated, toss-up

Why Pyroshell and Glacial Embrace are secondary is beyond me, but Hailstorm? Seriously? Elemental Shell that high? Mountain Seize that low? Force of Will a primary?

Primary = Pyrogram/Gush/Stone Rain/Earth Barrier/Sandstorm/Shrink/Undine/Sutra
            Secondary = Phoenix/Masteries/Blade Tempest/DBreath/DPyro
            Tertiary = FoW/Snare/Dragon/Seize/Sleep/Pyroshell/Glacial Embrace

When all the above is done = Sleep/Hailstorm/Wellspring/Morning Dew
            Trash = Crown/Pitfall/Emberstorm/Frostblade/Elemental Shell

^pvp server btw

And you forgot one of the most important pots, damage absorb, dew of X protection, anti-stun

EDIT: Then again, made by a lv77, meaning he lacks.. everything
            Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            thanks for all your opinions. :)

However, I will say M.Def shards are fail. I did the calculations and yup they suck. I'll remove them.
          • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
            edited August 2009
            Options
            EDIT: Then again, made by a lv77, meaning he lacks.. everything

Its not only that he is level 77, its about experience too. I remember him being level 25 when I was already 60 or so. Now he leveld faster then me so now he is 77 and I am 80. But I am playing almost a year now as a slow leveler, but I do have way more experience then someone that plays only few months. So its a good guide taurzo, but I would wait till you get some real experience with the wizard class before you make a guide that is not good, but one of the best.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
            WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            You're looking at the stone rain, pyrogram an odd way.

The reduced channeling on stone rain is prefered because it's stronger than pyrogram and gets a greater amount of reduction from the 20%(Demon wizes can counter this with wellspring quaffs' channel red. or demon spark). The reduction on pyrogram won't be as noticable, and a succesful effect gives you 45 chi. The demon stone rain will give you a 3 second stun.

Of course demon clearly wins on the barriers, pitfall, hailstorm and sandstorm.

Sage is about gaining chi fast, using ultimates, saving chi etc.

Most demons envy the chi that sages get, most sages envy the controls demons get. It's not an easy choice, but it wouldn't be fun otherwise.
            Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
          • Kristoph - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Just the fact that he didn't seem to mention the difference between the two triple sparks and chi skills is enough for me to know he doesn't have enough knowledge.
          • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
            edited August 2009
            Options
            You're looking at the stone rain, pyrogram an odd way.

The reduced channeling on stone rain is prefered because it's stronger than pyrogram and gets a greater amount of reduction from the 20%(Demon wizes can counter this with wellspring quaffs' channel red. or demon spark). The reduction on pyrogram won't be as noticable, and a succesful effect gives you 45 chi. The demon stone rain will give you a 3 second stun.

Of course demon clearly wins on the barriers, pitfall, hailstorm and sandstorm.

Sage is about gaining chi fast, using ultimates, saving chi etc.

Most demons envy the chi that sages get, most sages envy the controls demons get. It's not an easy choice, but it wouldn't be fun otherwise.

Its a 5 seconds stun, which is long enough to pull of an ulti.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Yeah i agree that's what keeps it interesting. However, I'm not saying that Demon isn't equal than Sage. If you read my notices it clearly says that these are my opinions on what would be beneficial to the way that I play. I'm just writing down my ideas and experiences. I didn't mention anything about the triple sparks or chi not because I didn't know about them but because they are not on the skill tree. However know that you mention it, if you think it will really help people i'll add it to my guide.

CeliaZ, this guide is obviously far from being completed. As I recall Pandora began writing his guide at a lvl not much further than mine. It's a way we can jot our ideas down and re-evaluate, change, or adjust them when we experience new things. Thanks for saying I'm a fast lvl, I thank Rebirths mostly. Completed my first one at lvl 74 xP.

Kristoph I realize I don't have enough knowledge to write the most awesome guide ever, but unlike you and your almighty knowledge , this guide is a work in progress. I'm not here to beat out anyone else, I'm not here to make people angry, I'm just writing my ideas down for others who will find them useful. If you think it's bogus and **** then that's your opinion and I'm sorry you didn't find it useful.

Oh and BTW did you ever get in trouble for PKing that GM?? I hear that's a bannable offense and I got a screen shot of it. Dropping BIDS on Bear Claw... EVIL!!!!
          • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Yeah i agree that's what keeps it interesting. However, I'm not saying that Demon isn't equal than Sage. If you read my notices it clearly says that these are my opinions on what would be beneficial to the way that I play. I'm just writing down my ideas and experiences. I didn't mention anything about the triple sparks or chi not because I didn't know about them but because they are not on the skill tree. However know that you mention it, if you think it will really help people i'll add it to my guide.

CeliaZ, this guide is obviously far from being completed. As I recall Pandora began writing his guide at a lvl not much further than mine. It's a way we can jot our ideas down and re-evaluate, change, or adjust them when we experience new things. Thanks for saying I'm a fast lvl, I thank Rebirths mostly. Completed my first one at lvl 74 xP.

Kristoph I realize I don't have enough knowledge to write the most awesome guide ever, but unlike you and your almighty knowledge , this guide is a work in progress. I'm not here to beat out anyone else, I'm not here to make people angry, I'm just writing my ideas down for others who will find them useful. If you think it's bogus and **** then that's your opinion and I'm sorry you didn't find it useful.

Oh and BTW did you ever get in trouble for PKing that GM?? I hear that's a bannable offense and I got a screen shot of it. Dropping BIDS on Bear Claw... EVIL!!!!

1 correction: Pandora came from the My-EN if I remember correctly. So he had experience...
            But I am not saying you shouldnt make a guide:) Its a very good way to show yourself and others what you know, and its a good method to dive inside our fantastic class. Just keep it up, hope to read more soon or later b:victory
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            1 correction: Pandora came from the My-EN if I remember correctly. So he had experience...
            But I am not saying you shouldnt make a guide:) Its a very good way to show yourself and others what you know, and its a good method to dive inside our fantastic class. Just keep it up, hope to read more soon or later b:victory

HAHA thanks CeliaZ, I'll update it as I get experience. I mean these discussions right here are helping. I've already had to edit my guide twice so over time it'll get better. Criticism is helpful and you learn a lot through it. Thanks for being patient with me.
          • Kristoph - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Not really, wouldn't be the first time someone posted a screenshot of them killing a GM. Go check the Lost City forum. My friend did get whispered by him though, he seemed upset, lol.
          • Taurzo - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            LOL. that's awesome. When you dropped her you dropped me too cuz i was standing to close. Your BIDS is mad POWERFUL bro. Wonder why she wasn't wearing any armor....
          • Kristoph - Lost City
            edited August 2009
            Options
            LOL. that's awesome. When you dropped her you dropped me too cuz i was standing to close. Your BIDS is mad POWERFUL bro. Wonder why she wasn't wearing any armor....
            Any lv90 with max Dragon can do that. +6 weapon and I'm not full int.
          • Amour - Lost City
            Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Its a 5 seconds stun, which is long enough to pull of an ulti.

Hell stone rain is a nice bonus when it procs at the right times, but it's not reliable and people probably wouldnt notice the stun effect fast enough to take advantage and cast an ult. I much prefer sages 20% cast speed reduction, does about the damage of sandstorm with the channeling time of pyrogram <3
            "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Fireblood - Harshlands
            Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
            edited August 2009
            Options
            Also, a heaven mage is only truly stronger then a hell mage after few things are achieved:

- weapon is +10 and above
            - learnt 99% of heaven skills
            b:cuteb:cuteb:cute
            Quit.
          This discussion has been closed.