What class is more useful BM or Archer?

DSB_SPARTAN - Sanctuary
DSB_SPARTAN - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
Who would you rather have in your fb/tt party a BM or Archer.

IMO BMs are slightly on the common side and if you have a veno and a barb the BMs become useless. Although they can give good 'support fire'

Whereas archers are great DD's and can put out constant damage.

In TW's I reckon they both have their uses. But I think archer has the BM beat.
Post edited by DSB_SPARTAN - Sanctuary on

Comments

• darkjagans
    darkjagans Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Who would you rather have in your fb/tt party a BM or Archer.

IMO BMs are slightly on the common side and if you have a veno and a barb the BMs become useless. Although they can give good 'support fire'

Whereas archers are great DD's and can put out constant damage.

In TW's I reckon they both have their uses. But I think archer has the BM beat.

sadly, it's true, we BMs are usually just "back-up" tankers, we can't dish out high constant damage like an archer and in TW we usually have to run into all the **** to land some hits (if we survive that is)

and when the party has a reliable barb as a tanker, most people would prefer an archer over a BM in a TT/FB squad
  • Tisa - Dreamweaver
    Tisa - Dreamweaver Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    BMs really shine in rebirths to mention one of their strong points.
  • darkjagans
    edited July 2009

argh... i regret not trying out rebirth when i was lower level, it's hard to find anyone that would want to do delta, especially when i have no experience :P

so what's the role of a BM in rebirth? anything special or just plain killing stuff?
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    darkjagans wrote: »
    argh... i regret not trying out rebirth when i was lower level, it's hard to find anyone that would want to do delta, especially when i have no experience :P

so what's the role of a BM in rebirth? anything special or just plain killing stuff?

b:laugh I'm RB virging too lolb:victory
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    in tt BM are good when thers a physical aoe boss or a boss that needs interrupts, which with genies has lessened the need of bms
    for rebirth most of the job is the bms, thier job is to take a lot of the aggro aoe stun and aoe **** to death making sure the cleric wiz archer dont take aggro
  • Tisa - Dreamweaver
    Tisa - Dreamweaver Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    darkjagans wrote: »

Basically..AoE/Stun AoE the **** out of mobs and try to hold aggro along with the barb while the archers/wizards provide the damage backup with Barrage/Dragon's Breath and the cleric has BB setup. Kinda like Zhen, except the mobs come by themselves :P.

Edit: Mosz beat me to it ><
  • darkjagans
    edited July 2009
    in tt BM are good when thers a physical aoe boss or a boss that needs interrupts, which with genies has lessened the need of bms
    dam genies, making us even more useless!
    for rebirth most of the job is the bms, thier job is to take a lot of the aggro aoe stun and aoe **** to death making sure the cleric wiz archer dont take aggro

well i'm glad i'm an axe BM... but keeping the archer/wizards from taking the aggro is gona be a bit tough
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Usually in parties (for FBs, TTs etc.) I'm the "boss" (kinda like the organiser of the party) cuz I'm one of the hightest lvl members in my guild and cuz I play for much longer than most of them even if some are highter lvl, I always prefer BMs over Archers, Archers are pure DDs, BMs can do more stuff like aoeing or tanking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    In an FB, I'll take the BM for their defense buff every time over an archer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    In FB / TT, BMs are better for support roles as they can off-tank without much help and can lock down mobs while the DD kills them.

An archer does make things go alot faster especially with the speed buff, demon spark, and maxed sharptooth. If the squad doesn't make many mistakes I'd go with archer.

In TW BMs are the back bone of cat support squads while archers are kinda lack luster. A nix veno can pretty much replace an archer in killing robes but archers do have an amazing AOE (barrage) which is great for offensive and defensive cover. Their debuffs can be useful as well but theres nothing all that special (unlike purge).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Signako - Heavens Tear
    Signako - Heavens Tear Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Bms play a many roles in TT/FF/Lunar/FB/RB we keep monsters away from our clerics, we buff others with phy def, we stun, aoe, disrupt mobs/Bosses, debuff the mobs/Bosses, we can amp damage, we can tank, and DD, and did i mention stun. I for one play main tank for my groups, and never have a problem. Though I play through all the trees, to get certain skills like shadowless kick, and meteor rush, etc.

When it comes down to it both are great to have in parties. So enjoy both :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Knight is sworn to Valor. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the weak. His words speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked.
  • SoulCallibur - Sanctuary
    SoulCallibur - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    .............................................................................................
  • SoulCallibur - Sanctuary
    SoulCallibur - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    choose archers and never look back.

BM's are a jack of all trades and master of none. But both classes are cool i guess
    In FB / TT, BMs are better for support roles as they can off-tank without much help and can lock down mobs while the DD kills them.

so who are the DDs???
  • DSB_SPARTAN - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    But if a party has a barb, a veno and a cleric wouldn't they rather choose an archer to supply some real damage.

From what I've been hearing BMs, especially axe BMs are not high priority.
  • Ixta - Harshlands
    Ixta - Harshlands Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited July 2009

Cause archers don't?

:)
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    But if a party has a barb, a veno and a cleric wouldn't they rather choose an archer to supply some real damage.

From what I've been hearing BMs, especially axe BMs are not high priority.

1) 60% physical buff that stacks with cleric buff and wiz shield b:victory. Ask any barb if they would rather tank by increasing their evasion from 0 to 0.5 with the archer's buff.

2) Pick the archer and let him/her have fun when a physical mob breaks away from, missed by barb or just roamed around and going straight for the cleric/s. Sure, archer can aggro the mob away, then what? Their attack gets cut close up and they are squishy. Run around till the barb is free?

What if it's more than 1 mob? If you get 2-4 mobs catch your party by surprise, what will the archer do then? Spam Wingspan? b:laugh

3) When the barb gets overwhelmed by magic mobs and is about to die, have the archer to stun all of them so the barb can get healed?

BMs are not the "best" DD in FB/TT, but to have a party w/o BM, the cleric/s better know how to run. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    sincerely...? neither
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Defected - Heavens Tear
    Defected - Heavens Tear Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Each has their own pros and cons depending on the situation.

But we can all agree that a Veno is better than either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Changed my mind. Permanently Retired - Only here to troll.
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Bms play a many roles in TT/FF/Lunar/FB/RB we keep monsters away from our clerics, we buff others with phy def, we stun, aoe, disrupt mobs/Bosses, debuff the mobs/Bosses, we can amp damage, we can tank, and DD, and did i mention stun. I for one play main tank for my groups, and never have a problem. Though I play through all the trees, to get certain skills like shadowless kick, and meteor rush, etc.

When it comes down to it both are great to have in parties. So enjoy both :)

I'm spear/axe BM with Shadowless Kick b:chuckle. Versatility FTW. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • XME_Norou - Dreamweaver
    XME_Norou - Dreamweaver Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Coming from an archer:

I love having BM's in my squads, especially in things like TT/FCT... you seen the dmg output on those bosses with a double spark after the BM does Heaven's Flame?b:shocked

P.S- yay 1st post!
    XME_Norou: lvl 8x Archer, pure Dex build.
    Proud *EX* Member of XBushidoXb:victory

Done with PWI, moved on to my next game.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I might choose BM. Why? Because 8 out of 10 archers lv 80 and above DO NOT know how to control their aggro rate. Expecially in runs like TTs or other PvE that need delicate hate balance, its an important issue.

In a squad, I honestly find BMs more useful because they can tank, attack, control aggro situations, and stay alive all at the same time. Archers are useful when you want to attack and stack dmg upon dmg, but they die so easy. Their probably good vs TW, PvP, and WB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • DSB_SPARTAN - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Woah BMs are more useful than I thought.

I was thinking of re rolling as an axe BM but I can't stand being the same as everyone. Almost every char I have seen is a BM so in the end it'll be hard to get into parties/factions because of how common I would be. Plus I heard that BMs are terribly under powerd 90+

Sheesh looks like I'm gonna have to stay as a wizzard T_T
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, Wizards aren't exactly the most desired class for TT.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, Wizards aren't exactly the most desired class for TT.

confirmed... i gues... i was in TT with a wizard only twice lol :P
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    confirmed... i gues... i was in TT with a wizard only twice lol :P

I did not think they allowed wizards in TT....
    In the other hand, high level wizards are in high demand in HT for rebirths... not enough of them i guess....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    I did not think they allowed wizards in TT....
    In the other hand, high level wizards are in high demand in HT for rebirths... not enough of them i guess....

u do know TT=twilight temple RB=rebirth <.<?

EDIT: nvm im just sleepy 1 am here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Drmelvin - Heavens Tear
    Drmelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Whos talking rubbish about wizards? Im too tired to scroll up and read everything. Wizards own, i like my wizard better than my cleric but cleric is higher by 20 levels.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Ask a bunch of random BMs and Archers about how often they get into TTs and you'll get your answers. There is a use for 1 archer in any TT squad for ST. It'll save you time and MP.

And no **** about archer aggros. The OP asked which class was better, not which class has more noobs (which is still BMs by the way; I've met many good BMs in my PW life, but way more idiots than not). That said, if your barb is any good at all, it's not a concern unless the archer outlevels the mobs by a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Drmelvin - Heavens Tear
    Drmelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Ask a bunch of random BMs and Archers about how often they get into TTs and you'll get your answers. There is a use for 1 archer in any TT squad for ST. It'll save you time and MP.

And no **** about archer aggros. The OP asked which class was better, not which class has more noobs (which is still BMs by the way; I've met many good BMs in my PW life, but way more idiots than not). That said, if your barb is any good at all, it's not a concern unless the archer outlevels the mobs by a lot.

Hmm ive met some stupid archers, They wonder how they stole aggro but have a TT80 Gold bow +8 and they spark.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Pple just pointed out who aggroed more. Your the only one that took out the word 'noob' and labeled it on the BM. Shame on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan