kowlin

Options

Comments

• FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    i have both, and the grimalkin dies fast in situations the kowlin is still tanking. i know-im going to get flamed for saying this, but i just today sent the steelfang after krixxix, and it went poof, as well as me. i came back, sent my kowlin in, and she did him with no prob. the difference with hunting with this pet, as apposed to something like a golem, is that you have to watch the pet's health bar more closely. but for me, as well as other kowlin fans, its well worth it!
    You can wait some lvls and tame elite mob called Steelfang Grimalkin. This have low phys attack, but decent HP and Def(phys&mag are the same), so this wont die so easly and this is great lurer, because of 8.8m/s speed on 71 lvl. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • leirta
    leirta Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for the tips on the kowlin. I'm using a kowlin for luring and I absolutely love it. Whenever the flesh ream skill comes on I unsummon it and it doesn't get hit. Its max distance for luring gives me enough time to summon my herc and buff it as well. Even if it does get hit, it has tough as one of its skills. Activate tough send it in, flesh ream activates, unsummon. Voila! No hit or hit with damage reduced. b:victory

The kowlin is great especially in TT where the faster moving mobs are a pain in the butt. b:angry

Love my kowlin b:kiss

P/s I tamed mine. b:victory
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    I failed to mention there that you can see a ranged pet initiate attack on a mob farther around a corner.
    Oooh, that's a good one. I'm gonna have to remember that next time I'm in that situation.
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    It demonstrates the advantage for the reason you gave - minimized time within aggro radius.

It is not time on itself that oen would want to see minimized, but hits along the way. This depends on how often a mob gets aggro on the pet and on the time the pet spends within the aggroed mob's striking distance.

Travelling a shorter distance through hostile mobs means passing fewer mobs, getting aggro less often and therefore being struck less often. On the other hand, travelling faster means less time within striking distance and thus less hits, even when getting aggro more often.

Make your pick.

Evaluating minute time differences in view of grinding-time == coins seems less usefull, since luring consume time like pets consume water and grinding that involves lot's of it tends to be not so very profitable.
  • huggers
    huggers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    What are there Spawn times and What time zone??? LOLb:thanks
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    hi..do u realy think kowlin cost 1mill..lol..its only cost 450k to 500k..i bougth mine for 450k...:)..so just save up and get it..if y want it:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    850k on DW, pm me on the forums though and I'll cut you a special deal for 750k.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Like all the rare pets - five hours after server restart, then 12 hours after it is tamed (so it slowly slips forward) - or abut five minutes if not tamed/killed; which would take some kind of miracle I expect.

Exact time will vary by server.

I'm gonna try taming myself one this weekend, when I don't have to be online at stupid-o-clock to do it. Failing that, I may well take someone up on that offer.

There can't be that many 60+ venos, right? The duke just makes up those names when he's shouting about herc tickets? La la la la...

Dreamweaver time: 33 minutes past. (Past 5, PWI time)
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    By posting the time just now, you pretty much doubled the number that will be there. And there's generally 6 at Kowlin.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    By posting the time just now, you pretty much doubled the number that will be there. And there's generally 6 at Kowlin.

There were only four. And, frankly, I give up on taming a pet. It's at a really inconvenient time for me and those who DO always turn up have stupid amounts of channeling gear etc.

And I don't mind helping other people know the spawn time. It's not going to stay then for very long anyway.

Edit:
    And anything to help others avoid the mistake I made last week, when I turned up an hour late for the dratted thing.
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Its not the pet that is the problem with luring. Its the player. Turning off pet skills is a way to get your Kowlin through a bunch of mobs undetected until it attacks. I don't know why it works that way, but it does. I can pull damn near ANYTHING with my Kowlin becuase I know how to properly handle my pet. His speed is 10.3m/s at lelve 87.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Its not the pet that is the problem with luring. Its the player. Turning off pet skills is a way to get your Kowlin through a bunch of mobs undetected until it attacks. I don't know why it works that way, but it does. I can pull damn near ANYTHING with my Kowlin becuase I know how to properly handle my pet. His speed is 10.3m/s at lelve 87.

I agree. Actually someone I was in Evolution with at one time told me to lure without pet skills with the kowlin as its attack is quicker and it will be easier to stow since its not charging up its attack then attacking and during that time can die or get hit. I can even lure wurlord properly with my kowlin, not using any skills, and still have time to stow him. Normally though, I don't cause then I can time feral concentration when wurlord starts running for me and then it gives the cleric and tank a little extra time to get ready (as in bb and pulling off me). Mine's speed is 10.4 at 90.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I agree. Actually someone I was in Evolution with at one time told me to lure without pet skills with the kowlin as its attack is quicker and it will be easier to stow since its not charging up its attack then attacking and during that time can die or get hit. I can even lure wurlord properly with my kowlin, not using any skills, and still have time to stow him.
    You don't have to wait for the attack skill to finish to stow it. You can stow it the moment it begins charging up the skill (for a kowlin, the instant you see any red around it). The pet will stow immediately, and the skill will still fire (try it with flesh ream if you want to see the bleed icon on the mob for verification). In the gap between stowing and when the skill fires, it may look like the pet is hit and takes damage. But when you resummon it, it will still be at full hp.

I'll have to test if a pet can run through mobs without being attacked if skills are off. First time I've heard of that one, but I just had it happen with my herc so who knows. I thought it was lag, but my herc's Bash may have been off.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yes that's true. But if I'm luring on wurlord, I will let my pet die for the simple fact that it gives everyone just a tad more time. my kowlin doesn't get 1 shotted by him anymore.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yes that's true. But if I'm luring on wurlord, I will let my pet die for the simple fact that it gives everyone just a tad more time. my kowlin doesn't get 1 shotted by him anymore.

I've found it to be a much cheaper endevor to just use something like a cactopod (starts at level 5) leveled to 35 or so (can be done rather quickly after level 60 by 1 shotting level <30 spawns while pet is out). Have it attack without skills, so that it has a ranged attack, and just let it die. In the case of a cactopod, unlike with the eldergoth, you don't even need to feed it once you've leveled it high enough to hit WBs, so makes a good disposable puller. It's a bit slow, so has some limitations that might make a faster pet more useful, but can really help reduce the costs of pulling against those bosses that will just end up killing the pet anyway.

Eldergoth are the other option for a ranged attack, and can be good as well, but also make decent tanks/damage, so you would still need to feed them to level. Cactopod, once leveled to 35 doesn't ever need to level again, so does not need to be fed, trained, or maintained. It can also be easily traded to others of a lower level.

It's really a much more practical, low cost/effort, alternative to kowlin as far as pulling goes.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Oh sure, I don't NEED a Kowlin, I can pull pretty much everything I need to pull umpteen different ways.

I just WANT one, 'cause it's pretty.

And I guess no-one believed me on the spawn time, 'cause there was just the usual suspects there...
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Options
    vagrant0 wrote: »
    I've found it to be a much cheaper endevor to just use something like a cactopod (starts at level 5) leveled to 35 or so (can be done rather quickly after level 60 by 1 shotting level <30 spawns while pet is out). Have it attack without skills, so that it has a ranged attack, and just let it die. In the case of a cactopod, unlike with the eldergoth, you don't even need to feed it once you've leveled it high enough to hit WBs, so makes a good disposable puller. It's a bit slow, so has some limitations that might make a faster pet more useful, but can really help reduce the costs of pulling against those bosses that will just end up killing the pet anyway.

Eldergoth are the other option for a ranged attack, and can be good as well, but also make decent tanks/damage, so you would still need to feed them to level. Cactopod, once leveled to 35 doesn't ever need to level again, so does not need to be fed, trained, or maintained. It can also be easily traded to others of a lower level.

It's really a much more practical, low cost/effort, alternative to kowlin as far as pulling goes.

Yes you do bring up a good point. However that has already been discussed earlier in this thread. ^^ Its mostly personal preference and play style. I prefer my kowlin over a ranged pet. I'm glad the ranged pet works for others though, keep up the good work with them ^^
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Oh sure, I don't NEED a Kowlin, I can pull pretty much everything I need to pull umpteen different ways.

I just WANT one, 'cause it's pretty.

And I guess no-one believed me on the spawn time, 'cause there was just the usual suspects there...

A couple that aren't usually there in the morning were there, and a pet army decided to kill it. No clue on the evening, I had to get updated timers on all the other rares to figure out my tame order. So I ended up about 30 sec late to it.
    edited August 2009
    Options
    A couple that aren't usually there in the morning were there, and a pet army decided to kill it.
    That's been my experience when the time is posted. A bunch of new people who don't know much about taming show up. They bring out their pet (which happens to be on auto) since venos always have their pets out. And when they hit their tame button, their pet attacks, and the rare dies under a pileup of pets.
  • Sharksfire - Heavens Tear
    Sharksfire - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I have also used the shaodu cub and armored bear to pull things as well. Both have the ability to use tough on them and work just as well. Me, personally, I have never used a pet with a ranged attack. So I cannot even tell you how well that works, I know tweakz has, so if you have questions about that, you can try asking

Yeah im not gonna take someone who has to resort to bathroom humor, and not even funny bathroom humor at that, too seriously. Previously I thought them to be a bit of a self-absorbed know-it-all, now i realize this is a very immature individual and all credibility has been lost.

Im proud i tamed my kowlin at level 62, i can lure pretty much anything with him. His name is George (get it? George Kowlin). b:chuckle I have a eldergoth I use when the situation warrants, but by far George is a lot more fun to play with.

Its about having fun, learning what pet to use when, and being mature enough to realize that not everyone is going to share your opinions and ideas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    if you are good with them, kowlins make pretty good fighters...you just have to watch their HP meter, and be sure its topped off before it gets to half if you are fighting mobs up to lv80+ (my girl is about 71...not worked with her much recently). she has more attacks than my golems, and can do more damage/debuffs, so i find a battle goes faster than with the bashing of my golems. they dont automatically die as lures...thats just the veno having not brought her back fast enough. i've been using mine as a lure, as well as other pets, and its a matter of timing, no matter what pet you use.

it takes more finesse to use a kowlin than many other pets, but i love the elegance of the kowlin. very few pets as beautiful as they are, and it adds a lot to be working with her.

think of owning and using a kowlin as the Porsche of pets, high speed, delicate but high performance....
    Ok, seriously... why lure with a Kowlin if it dies? On a tough one where it can die, wouldn't it be better to just use tame instead? It will cost you less mana that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Venofficial - Dreamweaver
    Venofficial - Dreamweaver Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    If you have the money to spare on feeding it, and buying, then sure go ahead, but it's a waste imo.

Eldergoth Sharpshooter/Marksmen are far better for luring imo. Take bash off auto before sending it in so it regular attack at range. From what I see its 8-10yards/meters(w/e the game uses). It has decent HP even tho more often than not it does not get hit.

If ur already higher than 42(marksmen) or 46(sharpshooter) take it to cube room 4 n catch it up.

My thoughts on the Kowlin are that it shouldn't really be used to lure due its low health, instead it should be used as a debuffing pet used on non aoe bosses, or those with weak aoe's.

If you a pure aesthetics veno then this thread is useless to you.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I wouldn't call ranged pets being better for luring opinion: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323451 , unless the player has a handicap like poor quality monitor, vision or attention and needs the red light show for a cue. I don't lure with just one pet anymore. At higher levels you get faster mobs and sometimes need to take a hit. An Armored Bear can administer Threaten on a phys mob faster than a Herc could while temporarily being about as hardy as a Herc using Tough. A Carapest Terror could apply Slow to remaining magic mobs. Luring pets don't have to not get hit.

The Kowlin does come with debuffs and decent atk. If grinding with howl, you want a pet that can administer howl ASAP like a Kowlin. I don't like grinding with one because of how fragile they are though. Wolves come with Howl and are more hardy making them more suitable for AoE bosses, and leveling or grinding.

I wouldn't bother with an Eldergoth in the Cube. They're pretty hardy and I had no problem leveling a Vericose Scorpion (fragile) without the Cube getting rare drops while 1-2 shot AoEing.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I use my Kowlin all the time:) when i do bh he always take agro from ppl.b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    Options
    My text is more annoying to read, and I always steal aggro from Kowlins
  • Minimono - Sanctuary
    Minimono - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    i would recommend trying to tame it but buying it is also not a bad thing. i had a lot of fun playing it even though to some extend, its far too weak for my liking. bh39 luring guards off wyvern - 1 hit kill 1700~ dmg
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Kowlin isn't all that bad. It will make a great PvP pet, especially if I can get it back up to my level. Kowlin comes with a L4 Fleshream and that will make it pretty cheap to max out. Replace the Bash with Pounce and you've got a Land Nix with two Debuffs, which you can max out if it pleases you.

Yes, Kowlin is a bit squishy, but it can tank pretty well if you know how to handle it. In my first faction, we would joke and call the Kowlin a four-legged BM. It does mega damage, physically, but it does run a little low on the HP side and can squish fast if you aren't careful.

For luring, there are better pets. =3 I find myself quite fond of the FB89 Eden cactus. Deselect the skill and it will shoot the darts at whatever you want to pull and it will give you a litte bit of extra running room. Make no mistake, it will die very fast in a group of mobs or if you're too slow to resummon it. Other people like the ape things (the Eldergoths) from the 40s, which will also range if you deselect the skill.
  • Tryndal - Heavens Tear
    Tryndal - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I like the Kowlin. I use him to lure all the time and am able to stow him b4 he gets hit about 85% of the time. Of course my veno is only lvl 66 but I have used her in TT2-1 to 2-3 as support veno. If u do go with Kowlin I advise u that u will love it awesome lurer and he looks awesome. I also switch back and forth between my Kow and Cub. I like the Cub too he is cute. Its kinda funny to see this little baby bear attacking a huge mob. RAWR I am Baby hear me ROAR. lolb:chuckle

There have been some good options here put out by these venos! Me I like the looks and deal with the imperfections and improvise to balance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Arrows fletched with the feathers of angels seldom miss their mark.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I use my Kowlin all the time:) when i do bh he always take agro from ppl.b:laugh

You're spamming it's skills aren't you? Skill use is high aggro. The melee on a kowlin itself isn't all that high.
    Replace the Bash with Pounce and you've got a Land Nix with two Debuffs, which you can max out if it pleases you.

Good luck getting Pounce.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I like the Kowlin. I use him to lure all the time and am able to stow him b4 he gets hit about 85% of the time. Of course my veno is only lvl 66 but I have used her in TT2-1 to 2-3 as support veno. If u do go with Kowlin I advise u that u will love it awesome lurer and he looks awesome. I also switch back and forth between my Kow and Cub. I like the Cub too he is cute. Its kinda funny to see this little baby bear attacking a huge mob. RAWR I am Baby hear me ROAR. lolb:chuckle

There have been some good options here put out by these venos! Me I like the looks and deal with the imperfections and improvise to balance.

85% is far worse than I would have thought. "I advise u that u will love it awesome lurer" - Not awesome with that success percentage. Even 99% would be bad.