"noobs"

124»

Comments

• OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    septerra0 wrote: »
    I see no problem when saying someone is a noob. It usually means that they might help you. Unless your trying to be cruel i find no problem with the word

Why did you necro this thread?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The fact is fairly simple. When you call someone a Noob you are labeling them as a lesser class of person. Some people, myself included, could care less what you think and will not really make an issue of it. Other people will find that their image is being tarnished and their ability called into question unfairly and may feel only right to retort it.

Consider you are a lvl 70+ and a lvl 90+ calls you a Noob? To them you are a Noob but would you appreciate that label? Might you take even a small bit of offense to having them call into question any work you have done up to this point?

It is also just foolish to start off a greeting by calling someone a bad name. It sets you up for a confrontation. example "Before you can get that skill you need to finish the Loser quests back in your home town." Now you have insulted this person by being helpful in a backhanded way by calling them a Loser by association with their level of quests. Instead you could have said "Before you can get that skill you need to finish the quests offered to you at your home town." or "Before you can get that skill you need to do the lower level quests which will be offered by NPC's near your home town.". With these examples we are not offending the person we are trying to help by associating them with failure from the get go.

People will do and say what they want however and few think before opening their mouth, which is why I prefer typing. At any rate do onto others as you would have others do onto you.
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If you dont want to offend a person use the proper term.
    Newb is the proper term for new players that can learn.

Noob is the term for people that wil never learn. (probably also live in their moms basment and will never get laid) Sorry that came from a comic about this same subject.

If you don't want to jumped on don't call someone a noob.
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    My Grandfather called me a Newb (Newborn) once. He had the right to though, he was older than God and meaner than the Devil and knew more about living than most people ever learn.

~S
  • Vanyadarknae - Heavens Tear
    Vanyadarknae - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    This is a very interesting post.
    For me, out of respect of ones feelings I don't call anyone a Noob or Newbie. I address them by their name and speak to them with respect. Zenpachi gave a lot of in sight about the negative meaning and side effect one will get if they choose to call another a Noob. Once we reach a certain lvl in a game we tend to forget we were just as new as the person asking for help or we have offered help. The starting areas of PWI are not Noob areas, they are beginning areas of which one begins there journey into many days of adventure. Do you call your child a noob when they can't make the puzzle piece fit and they ask for help or because you offer help, being you have done the puzzle hundreds of times? No, I would think NOT. Same goes with a person new to the game you shouldn't call them a noob. It doesn't matter how seasoned a player one might be you are never above anyone to show respect and help without being derogatory, by using words that you know full well is going to light a fire under the others rear end.
    [SIGPIC]shylael.net/guildpics/vsigfinal.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Vixentriel - Heavens Tear
    Vixentriel - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Its easy:

Newby's: People who are generally new to a game

Noobs: People who are experienced and act like newbys.

Its not the newby's fault to act like a noob since they are new.

I see why people take offence at noob, which is why I never use the term noob.
  • Kamikiri - Lost City
    Kamikiri - Lost City Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    just a bunch of liberal, soft, sissy, hypersensitive terminology nuts. look at me, i'm so cute, i use the word "newbie"

Look at me I'am Vinat, I'm so l337 I use the word noob.

>.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಙೆ_ಙೆ Rage sauce face, it's my expression everytime you necro a thread. ~Made by Konariraiden!
  • _kaien_ - Heavens Tear
    _kaien_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Omg, this thread started out on somthing simple, and has evolved into a horrible multiheaded monstrosity. I am a newb,noob,nub what ever you want to call it to THIS game. But as far as mmorpgs are concerned I've played my fair share. But thats beside the point, the point is that it all depends on the people involved in the exchange me I dont use the word and could care less if someone throws it my way. It is a silly word that has be turned into somthing widely viewd as insulting.
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    kailen for gods sakes don' necro old threads!!!!!b:beatupb:beatupb:beatup
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    yea i get defensive and offensive.. look at some of the responses i've gotten... "i'm gonna call you a noob, and idk your gender NOR DO I CARE x3" (really immature and.. preschool lvl attempt at an insult, just way too ridiculous to NOT mention lol) and like 5 different people calling me ignorant because i don't agree with their definition. you're all a bunch of god damn pansies. this overly politically correct, soft, patronizing language that everyone insists upon others using just to spare the feelings of the hypersensitive is BS.

so i'm an ignorant noob because i like to call a spade a spade and think that when you bring it down to basics, no matter how you spell it, noob is newb is n00b is nub is ALL the same thing. you know what "common knowledge" has taught me? that noob is a staple word of not just games but the internet in general. staple word of the IT generations. noob = all of the previously mentioned definitions and then some. therefore CONTEXT MATTERS -- A LOT. and i'd like to point out the post someone had made where they pointed out that on this very forum there is the "NOOB" guide, and someone else responded saying "oh thats just a cutesy joke" or whatever. ok, so when the forum says it, it's a cute little thing, when i say it, it's a flame? is that a correct description of everyone's assessment of the situation? becuase that's REALLY how it looks to me.

and yes, it is THAT hard for me to stop using the word. just as hard as it is for all the people who use "tis/dis/dat/da" (and any other popular, moronic internet slang) to stop using those "words".

also.. ditto like 10 times over on all of the "we all don't think like you" posts. apparently we all don't think like YOU either.

You using the word "n00b" isn't the real problem here. It's you being an inconsiderate Jack*ss, and blaming the person who doesn't like it for not having a thick enough skin.

Sounds like some of those PK tw*ts who, after the kill, struts around, strokes himself, and tells the victim "you should feel lucky I don't stay here and kill you again, n00b".

You're gonna have trouble wherever you go, until you figure out how to apply the Golden Rule.

Red
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • ArwenFrost - Heavens Tear
    ArwenFrost - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    everyone is a noob until your lvl 100. end of discussionb:bye
  • chosenjuan
    chosenjuan Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I dont think I've ever taken any offense by someone calling me a noob. I'm a COMPLETE noob in this game just downloaded it b:pleased
    but
    I'ts pretty entertaining watching someone get called a noob or nerd online and watching them b:angryrantb:angry about it b:laugh
  • Kaligrrl - Heavens Tear
    Kaligrrl - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    kailen for gods sakes don' necro old threads!!!!!b:beatupb:beatupb:beatup

Re: "necro"

Here's a newbie query...what does "Necro" mean and why shouldn't one do it?

Just wondering. b:thanks
  • Naquia - Dreamweaver
    Naquia - Dreamweaver Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    It's what you just did:

The act on posting something irrelevent on a really old topic to bring it to the top of the list topics. This can be intentional (such as someone necro-trolling) or unintentional (usually a new person to the forum replying to very old threads). The name comes from the fact that you are bringing it back from the dead, thus Necro. (source: Wikipedia)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solaluna - Heavens Tear
    Solaluna - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    wow u were just trying to help her out -.-.Cant believe her boyfriend he sounds really stupid.He probably thinks hes so much better or something.I find it really annoying when noobs take offense when ppl try to help them.
  • Chisukie - Lost City
    Chisukie - Lost City Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    In my eyes anyone below 70 is a noob xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lady_Satsue - Lost City
    Lady_Satsue - Lost City Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I completely agree! I will be the first to admit that I am a noob. The sad part is that in 1 week of playing I have learned more than a lot of 60+'s that I have met. Sufficive to say, being a NOOB isn't limited to low LvLs.

With my experience in many other MMORPG's offensive language is against the rules yet they clearly state that noob doesn't count as offensive.

Like all other "offensive" words noob is only offensive because others view it that way so it is really open to interpretation. There would be no "curse" words if everyone magically grew up and stopped taking offense to it. I use many "curse" words nonchalantly as well as my friends and we take no offense to it.

Power to the words of curse!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lady_Satsue - Lost City
    Lady_Satsue - Lost City Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    chosenjuan wrote: »
    I dont think I've ever taken any offense by someone calling me a noob. I'm a COMPLETE noob in this game just downloaded it b:pleased
    but
    I'ts pretty entertaining watching someone get called a noob or nerd online and watching them b:angryrantb:angry about it b:laugh

Nerd is very hypocritical to say. If you call someone a Nerd for playing the game then you are a nerd yourself. 9 times out of 10 a person saying nerd is saying it for practices that they commit on a daily basis themselves. Personally, if I am a nerd than I don't want to be anything else.

Except of course for stoner, hell-raiser and lover! =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver
    Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm a noob and I'm proud of it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Note: No thats not me... I stole that from the interwebs b:chuckle
    BTW.... YOU ROCK FORSAKENX <3

I like to think of myself as a dog, I can be cute and cuddly but sniff people's butts and get away with it ><>

Warlock recruiting lvl 70+ on the Dreamweaver Server.
    PM an officer for an invite.

b:heartb:flowerb:faint
  • BloodFest - Harshlands
    BloodFest - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    such a long thread.......LOL
  • Sisterreaper - Heavens Tear
    Sisterreaper - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    "it is because they are a noob and have had a small seizure due to their inability to understand what is happening"

LOL b:pleasedb:laugh That is so true