Beginner FAQ - Please read before posting!

Options
andracil
andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hello all! Seeing as a lot of questions get asked repeatedly here on beginner's guide, it was about time someone made an FAQ answering all those. So here it is! Obviously, feel free to still ask any question - this FAQ doesn't cover everything.

Table of contents

To quickly move to a section, just click the header.

Character related
-How do I make a faction?
-What are the benefits of being in a faction?
-What's the highest possible level in this game?
-What are AGI/CON/INT?
-How do I switch between Clothes and Armor so other people can see them?
-How do I transfer items between characters on the same account?
-Where are the Attack/Meditate buttons?
-How do I gain Attack/Defense levels?
-What characters are allowed in a name?
-What's Zhen or a Zhenning party?

Skills and Spiritual Cultivation
-How do I learn skills?
-How do I learn Pet Heal/Pet Revive/Tame Pet?
-How do I teach my Pet skills?
-Can I rearrange Pet skills?
-How do I train my manufacturing skills?
-What are Chi and Spark?
-What are Demon/Sage or Heaven/Hell?
-How do I change to a Tiger or Fox?
-How do Combos/Macros work?

Quests
-How do I find more quests?
-I ran out of quests, what do I do now?
-When do the races get the same quests?
-How do Dungeons/FB's/Call to Duties/Tabs work?
-I didn't get anything when I finished my Call to Duty quest, how come?

Item related
-How do I charge the Accelerate timer on my aerocraft?
-What are molds and how do I get them?
-What are Mirage celestones are how does Refining work?
-How do Soulgems/Shards work?
-How does gear glow?

Money, trading and the Boutique
-How do I set up a Cat Shop/Consignment shop?
-Where do I find Inventory/Safe Extension stones and Cage?
-How do I make money?
-How does the Auctioneer and Gold Trading system work?

Class related
-What class should I pick?
-What's the best stat/skill build for <classhere>?
-How do I get a pet?
-Will my flying speed increase if I'm in tiger form or using Summer Sprint?

Miscellaneous
-Where is <person/item/monster>?
-What's the difference between PvP and PvE servers?
-How do I log out?​​
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by sylenthunder on

Comments

• andracil
    edited January 2009
    Options
    CHARACTER RELATED

How do I make a faction?
    -If you're over level 20 and have 100,000 coins, you can talk to the Faction Manager in East Archosaur(north of the docks) to start a Faction.

What are the benefits of being in a faction?
    -Factions are ways for people to get together. It helps you find a group to work with, and gives you people to talk to. Also, some factions choose to participate in Territory Wars, a PvP event where factions battle each other to gain territories (check the Territory map by pressing M, then the Territories button).

What's the highest possible level in this game?
    -105. This may be increased in the future, as equipment of a higher level exists.

What are AGI/CON/INT?
    -These are names from the Malaysian version of Perfect World. AGI = DEX, CON = VIT, INT = MAG. STR was called STR in the Malaysian version as well.

How do I switch between Clothes and Armor so other people can see them?
    -In your inventory (press B), at the top, there are buttons to switch between equipment windows. Next to these buttons are circles you click on, these toggle the clothes/armor view.

How do I transfer items between characters on the same account?
    -You could mail the items at a postbox, just enter the character's name. Or you could bring both characters to a remote place, drop the items, then relog and pick them back up on the other character. Note that Perfect World Entertainment is not responsible for any items lost in this fashion.
    Also, you could ask someone you trust to trade the items to your other character.

Where are the Attack/Meditate buttons?
    -They are in your emote window (press E).

How do I gain Attack/Defense levels?
    -Currently, the only way is to imbue a lvl 12 soulgem into your armor/weapon. However, no one has obtained any of these so far.

What characters are allowed in a name?
    -Currently, only uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, underscores ( _ ) and slashes ( / and \ ) are allowed.

What's Zhen or a Zhenning party?
    -This is an AoE setup used in the later levels. Wizards and Archers have a continuous AoE attack that only stops when they choose to stop it or they run out of mana. Add some people to pull monsters into their range (Barbarians and Blademasters), a Cleric to keep everyone healed, some charms to automatically restore HP/MP, and you have a Zhen squad. These will get you exp a lot faster than regular grinding, but do take note the Charms will cost a lot. Also, remember that going away from your keyboard while your AoE is on isn't allowed and may result in a ban.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    edited January 2009
    Options
    SKILLS AND SPIRITUAL CULTIVATION

How do I learn skills?
    -You don't learn skills naturally by levelling up in this game, that just unlocks them. You still have to go the trainer of your class in town. The towns that have skill trainers for your class are the 6 big towns and some of the towns you visit before lvl 20. Note that Archosaur, Thousand Streams and Dreamweaver port have all trainers, not just one race.
    To learn skills, you need money and spirit, and, sometimes, the required level of the previous skill. Also, some skills require you to level up your Cultivation level. To do this, finish the Spiritual Cultivation quests, they start with an automatic pop-up to send you to an NPC who starts the actual quest. They're the yellow-named quests, you can't really miss them. Finish one and your Cultivation will go up, allowing you to learn more skills.

How do I learn Pet Heal/Pet Revive/Tame Pet?
    -These are taught by the Pet Skill Trainer. Talk to her and select "Tame Pet" to see the list of available skills. Note that you have to complete the lvl 3 quest "Your pet" to get Pet heal and Pet revive, and the lvl 7 quest "Sacred Beast" to unlock Tame Pet.

How do I teach my Pet skills?
    -For land and air monsters, visit Mrs.Zoologist in Southeast Archosaur, she sells skill books and upgrade skill books for your pet. Use them at any Pet NPC by selecting "Learn Pet Skill". For water monsters, visit Mr.Zoologist, underwater in East Archosaur.

Can I rearrange Pet skills?
    -No, sorry. You could remove them all, then add them again in the order you want them to be, but that's obviously quite costly.

How do I train my manufacturing skills?
    -First off, make sure you've completed the lvl 5 quest for the skill you wish to learn. Talk to an Elder and select "Learn Manufacturing skill" to get level 1 in it using the book you've received (Lost books can be retrieved by talking to the Bookmerchant). To train your Manufacturing, visit the relevant NPC and select the Manufacture option. Select the item you wish to make to see the required materials and manufacturing level for it. When you have everything, you can make the item and receive 10% exp to your manufacturing skill. When you've reached 100%, talk to an Elder to level up your Manufacturing skill.
    Note that to learn level 4 in any manufacturing skill, you have to complete the relevant quest at lvl 50.

What are Chi and Spark?
    -Chi and Spark are required to use certain skills, as indicated in their description. If you finish the lvl 9 cultivation quest, you can start collecting Chi. Any action, like healing, buffing and attacking, will get you Chi. Chi is the yellow bar on your character name, as indicated here.
    When you finish the lvl 29 Cultivation, your Chi capacity rises from 99 to 199. 1 Spark represents 100 Chi. Spark is used for some of the most powerful skills in the game, so use it wisely.

What are Demon/Sage or Heaven/Hell?
    -While doing the lvl 89 Cultivation quest, you have to decide whether to walk the Demon path or the Sage path. When you're finished, your spiritual cultivation will rise to Celestial Demon/Sage depending on your choice. This has a few effects on you, most importantly, your skills will get an added effect, like a chance to restore some Chi, or added damage. Demon is usually more fit for attacking classes, whereas Sage is aimed more at defense.

How do I change to a Tiger or Fox?
    -At lvl 9, after finishing the Spiritual Cultivation for that level, you can learn the morphing skills, assuming you're a Barbarian or Venomancer.

How do Combos/Macros work?
    -In your skill window, there's a create button at the bottom. Press it to open the combo maker window. Drag skills or the attack button to the row there, then add the combo when you're done. You can then use that combo as a regular skill - press the button to initiate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Quests

How do I find more quests?
    -First off, press Q to open your quest window. Now press the "Find Quest" button. Assuming you have quests to get, a pop'up will appear containing an NPC and coordinates. Now push the button shown here then enter the coordinates in there (make sure to use the format xxx yyy, with the space) and press enter. An arrow and a marker will appear indicating where to go.

I ran out of quests, what do I do now?
    -At higher lvls (usually 35+), your quests won't suffice to get you to your next level. In that case, find monsters you can kill easily that give good exp, and kill those repeatedly for exp until you level. That's called grinding. Also, don't forget that water and air monsters give x1.5 exp compared to ground monsters.

When do the races get the same quests?
    -Starting at lvl 20, all races get the same quests and move to Archosaur. There are a few exceptions, like Venomancers getting a quest no one else can get.

How do Dungeons/FB's/Call to Duties/Tabs work?
    -Dungeons or FB's are instances in this game. This means only you and your squad can enter the one you're in, it's a private area. Every lvl that ends in 9 (excluding 9 and 49, there's one at 51 though), you get a quest to kill the bosses in a dungeon, and a Call to Duty or Tab along with that. Inside the dungeons are Pillars with boss names on them. Talk to them to use the Call to Duty and start a quest that will trigger for the entire squad. If you finish it, everyone will receive exp, spirit, reputation and a Blood item (The person with the tab doesn't get Blood though).

I didn't get anything when I finished my Call to Duty quest, how come?
    -If your inventory is full, you won't get any reward. You may have noticed you need free inventory space when finishing a quest, Call to Duty works the same way. If your inventory is full, the quest can't finish. The quest will still attempt to finish though (because it has no ending NPC it attempts to autofinish), dropping your Blood on the floor, leaving you with no reward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    edited January 2009
    Options
    ITEM RELATED

How do I charge the Accelerate timer on my aerocraft?
    -If you decompose gear at a Tailor/Blacksmith, you will obtain Chi stones. Drag these stones to your equipped aerocraft to charge it.

What are molds and how do I get them?
    -Molds are used to create legendary gear. They drop from dungeon bosses sometimes, or very, very rarely from regular monsters. The forges to make Legendary gear are in Archosaur, Southwest district.

What are Mirage celestones are how does Refining work?
    -Mirage Celestones can be obtained by trading 3 of each (human, earth, heaven) celestone or 25 celestone fragments at a Gem Merchant. They're used to refine your gear at an Elder, which will enhance its attributes, and even add new ones. Note that if the refining fails, you will lose the refining level the gear had (i.e. if you had +3 and you failed, it returns to +0). The Mirage Celestone is also lost, even though you failed.

How do Soulgems/Shards work?
    -Shards may drop from monsters, you can get them from Lucky items (Lucky Note, Lucky Pack, etc), or you can buy them off Merchant NPC's. Also, you can use three soulgems to create one soulgem of the next level, at a Jewelcraftsman (Combine option). If you imbue these soulgems into armor/weapons, the effects will be added to it. Note that your item needs one open socket per soulgem, and the success rate is 100%. This is done at a Blacksmith or Tailor.

How does gear glow?
    -Gear glows under the following circumstances:
    The following weapons glow:
    -Three-star (purple name) : Blue glow. Obtained at lvl 20 from a quest, or rarely from weapon manufacturing.
    -Legendary (gold name) : Gold glow. Obtained by using materials and a mold (dropped from dungeon bosses) at a Legendary weapon forge in Archosaur.
    -Twilight (green name) : Green glow. Obtained by using Twilight Temple materials at a Twilight Weapon forge in Archosaur.
    -All fists

Also, you can make armor glow by adding soulgems, here's a list:
    2 grade 5 hp stones = purple glow
    2 grade 5 phys def stones = orange/reddish glow
    2 grade 5 mag def stones = white glow
    2 grade 5 mp stones = blue glow
    2 grade 5 evasion stones = yellow glow
    2 grade 5 elemental stones = green glow
    2 grade 5 stones, not the same = sparkles
    4 grade 8 hp stones = lightning effect
    4 grade 8 mp stones = blue crystal effect
    4 grade 8 elemental stones = Strong green glow with sparkles
    4 grade 8 phys def stones = Burning fire
    4 grade 8 mag def stones = Strong white mist
    4 grade 8 evasion stones = Bigger/stronger yellow glow with sparkles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MONEY, TRADING AND THE BOUTIQUE

How do I set up a Cat Shop/Consignment shop?
    -Press E to open your emote window, then look under trade. There should be a Consignment Shop button there to set one up.

Where do I find Inventory/Safe Extension stones and Cage?
    -These are Cash shop items. Press O to open the Boutique, then go to Items->Treasure to find these items. Note that you don't need Safe extension stones or Cages to perform the corresponding action - You can start a quest to collect ingame items to get the same effect. You need Dragon Quest items for the Safe extension, rare pet food to add Pet slots.

How do I make money?
    -Please check here.

How does the Auctioneer and Gold Trading system work?
    -Auctioneers can be found in the 6 major towns. Their first option, Auction House will open the Auction window. You can look around the pages using the arrows at the bottom. To look for a specific items, press the Filter button at the top, then select your item (note that the search function doesn't work right now). When you've found the item you'd like to buy, you can see the current bid to the right of its name (if the current bid is equal to the minimum bid, no one's put a bid on that item yet). There may also be a buy price. You can then place a bid or buy the item (if it has a buy price). After placing a bid, keep an eye on your mail. If someone else outbids you, your previous bid will appear in your postbox and you're free to bid again while there's still time. If you win the auction, the item will be in your postbox. Bought items will instantly be sent to your mail, no need to wait for the timer.
    Also, bidding in the last 20 minutes of an auction will increase the auction's duration by 20 minutes. Auctions can last 8, 16 or 24 hours.
    At the bottom of the auction window are buttons to check your current bids and sales. To sell an item, go to the Sales window, drag the item to the box, and specify the information (a buy price isn't necessary). When the auction ends, the bid that won will be sent to your postbox. If no one placed a bid, the item and half the fee will be refunded (also in your postbox).

Information on Gold Trading coming soon.​​
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    edited February 2016
    Options
    CLASS RELATED

What class should I pick?
    -It's all personal preference. A quick rundown of the classes can be found here.

What's the best stat/skill build for <classhere>?
    -Please check the stickies on the corresponding board. The list of class-specific forums can be found here.

How do I get a pet?
    -Venomancers can get pets that assist in combat. To do so, they have to learn the Tame Beast skill, learnable at level 7. If you're playing a Venomancer, you can click on a monster, then look next to its HP bar. If it has a little "tamable" icon, you can tame it, unless the icon is red, then your lvl is too low. It helps to lower the monster's health before attempting to tame it. When the taming is successful, they get an Egg of the monster. The Pet skill trainer or Pet manager can hatch that, placing the pet in your Pet Bag (press P).
    If you're not a Veno, you can get all-class pets. These pets are made by combining various pet eggs at Mrs Zoologist in the southeast part of Archosaur. They can't assist you in combat, but they don't need feeding either.

Will my flying speed increase if I'm in tiger form or using Summer Sprint?
    -No, it will not. These boosts apply to ground speed only.​​
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MISCELLANEOUS

Where is <person/item/monster>?
    -Please check www.pwdatabase.com/pwi to find the information you need.

What's the difference between PvP and PvE servers?
    -On PvP servers, you're forced into a permanent PK state at lvl 30, meaning you can attack anyone of that lvl and higher, but also be attacked by those people.
    PvP servers no longer exist in PWI.
    -On PvE servers, you can choose to turn this PK mode on. If you choose to do so, you must stay in it for at least 10 hours, and you can only attack other players in PK mode, and only be attacked by those players.

How do I log out?
    -Click on the System button in the bottom right, then either select "Return to character selection" or "Return to desktop".

How do I get help with a client issue I'm having?
    -Go to the Technical Support Forum, be sure to check the sticky threads, then start a discussion providing detailed information on your issue.​​
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    andracil wrote: »
    Quests

How do I find more quests?
    -First off, press Q to open your quest window. Now press the "Find Quest" button. Assuming you have quests to get, a pop'up will appear containing an NPC and coordinates. Now push the button shown here then enter the coordinates in there (make sure to use the format xxx yyy, with the space) and press enter. An arrow and a marker will appear indicating where to go.

I ran out of quests, what do I do now?
    -At higher lvls (usually 35+), your quests won't suffice to get you to your next level. In that case, find monsters you can kill easily that give good exp, and kill those repeatedly for exp until you level. That's called grinding. Also, don't forget that water and air monsters give x1.5 exp compared to ground monsters.

When you reach higher levels, important quests do not show up when you press "Find Quests". Dragon Quests and Rebirth orders can be good examples of these kinds of quests. And sometimes you find can other rewarding quests. (Some quests drop from monsters you kill, others just require finding the right NPC.)

Also, if you work on enough production skills, you can easily have problems "too much experience", grinding for the supplies you need to advance your skills. (Personally: I can get those supplies now that I have reached higher levels but I seem to take longer than I did when I had fewer levels and this keeps giving me experience.)

Anyways, I have not yet "run out of quests".
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    wait
    so you can only make Armor glow by adding stones
    not weapons?
    that's dumb..
  • wombatcombat
    wombatcombat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    i can finally log out now lol.
    thanks brah
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    -In your skill window, there's a create button at the bottom. Press it to open the combo maker window. Drag skills or the attack button to the row there, then add the combo when you're done. You can then use that combo as a regular skill - press the button to initiate it.

Sometimes i've found that macros just stop running in the middle for no apparent reason:
    * Plenty of MP and Chi remaining,
    * Skill has finished its cooldown,
    * Target is still standing.

Is there a list of other conditions that will cause the macro to be interrupted, aside from the obvious ones eliminated in the above list?
  • dienasty
    dienasty Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I didn't start playing yet because I don't know what race to pick.

I know it said to your own liking but I don't know of the the race that does. Is there a class where its cheap, high damage, but also fun to play?

I was thinking of the archer since it could fly but I don't know how good of a advantage that is. So, can anyone help me out a bit?
  • andracil
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I just read "I want to play a Venomancer" in that post, dienasty. =P
    Seriously, they hit high and have very little upkeep. Fun to play isn't for me to judge, that'll depend on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Sometimes i've found that macros just stop running in the middle for no apparent reason:
    * Plenty of MP and Chi remaining,
    * Skill has finished its cooldown,
    * Target is still standing.

Is there a list of other conditions that will cause the macro to be interrupted, aside from the obvious ones eliminated in the above list?

This could happen if one of your skills gets interrupted. Sometimes it seems that interrupts happen before you get the channelling bar at the bottom of your screen.
  • Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Here's a question:
    Quite often, a coordinate appears in the format xxx yyy (zz). For example, Bamboo Village 368, 349 (22). What does the non-coordinate number refer to? (ie. the "22" in my example)
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    It is a coordinate. The world has 3 dimensions - the 3rd coordinate is the altitude/elevation.
  • konos
    konos Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You clik desktop icon it give u pick a aserver and update and thats it no play button. So how u start this thing??????????

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!
  • nyangel
    nyangel Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Pick a server, and on the left hand of the little box, there's a bunch of buttons, one of them is start. Click it.
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    How do I set up a Cat Shop/Consignment shop?
    -Press E to open your emote window, then look under trade. There should be a Consignment Shop button there to set one up.
    And then what? That button doesn't seem to do anything ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • Demodude - Sanctuary
    Demodude - Sanctuary Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    can someone post a picture of some armor that had what was called something like a lightningn affect? im thinking i want to get armor with that now, casue it sounds really cool .but i wanna see it first before i decide. and andracil. when and why did you change from amiris? i liked amiris
    demodude-BM level 4x (currently 44)-TheRomans executor
    barb-being made soon (what preset should i make? i think im going panda)
    TheRomans guild recruiting 40+ any class pm me or SRAFF in game
  • andracil
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Heh. I changed from Amiris because I became a mod. Can't use character names as a mod, so I had to switch to my account name ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • powaoranga
    powaoranga Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Heh. I changed from Amiris because I became a mod. Can't use character names as a mod, so I had to switch to my account name ;)

:o Nice, but i didn't know you can't use character names as a mod>.<.
  • Purerap - Heavens Tear
    Purerap - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    MISCELLANEOUS

Where is <person/item/monster>?
    -Please check www.pwdatabase.com/pwi to find the information you need.

What's the difference between PvP and PvE servers?
    -On PvP servers, you're forced into a permanent PK state at lvl 30, meaning you can attack anyone of that lvl and higher, but also be attacked by those people.
    On PvE servers, you can choose to turn this PK mode on. If you choose to do so, you must stay in it for at least 10 hours, and you can only attack other players in PK mode, and only be attacked by those players.

How do I log out?
    -Click on the System button in the bottom right, then either select "Return to character selection" or "Return to desktop".

With that said... does that mean once I make a char and start playing it on say Sanctuary is that char only going to be able to play on Sanctuary or will I be able to still log into it on the other servers with all my stuff and all my lvl's?? I Have been trying to find the answer to this but not able to and well right now I'm at work and can't get in the game to test it.
  • andracil
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Characters are server-bound. You can't use that character, Purerap, on Sanctuary for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I still don't get this part of it as I pushed on the skill and nothing happened.It says something about macros?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • avengermki
    avengermki Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I know where is the the cultivation trainer but how do I get it? I'm level 9 right now and I want to level it so I can get new skills.
  • andracil
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Cultivation Trainer is a useless NPC. The Culti quest is an automatic pop-up at lvl 9, check your quests or talk to the Taoist in town.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Avengermkii - Heavens Tear
    Avengermkii - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hmm...... Maybe I should check the quests thing. Where is the Taoist or whoever is he/she.
  • andracil
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Uh, seeing as you're an elf, central Plume City, near the fountain. Look around there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    CLASS RELATED

How do I get a pet?

If you're not a Veno, you can get all-class pets. They can't assist you in combat, but they don't need feeding either.

QUOTE]

Everybody I ask, they tell me I have to feed my all class pet.

can somebody confirm this?

I called my pet last night and I noticed he stayed behind in the same spot while I was walking (I think he would eventually follow me), I wonder if I could lose it in such a situation?