Cactus, and other interesting Pets

Comments

• Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    hmm, maybe it's the type of cactopod?

Mine's an inferior, and he only gets within melee range if I keep specials on auto.
    I actually use his 'slow' attack on pulls, then let him go free, he jumps around after that.
    Only problem sometimes is he jumps into other aggro if I don't anticipate his pathing, lol.

Though come to think of it, I bet it's the same as any mob we encounter that 'kites'. Meaning usually they will only 'kite' you two times, then stay still, (increased life mobs tend to repeat it though). I tend to pull him off a mob, the re-engage him if he seems stuck, it doesn't seem to have a problem after that.

I might try that when I get back to leveling them.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • Shikome - Heavens Tear
    Shikome - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If speed is what you're needing for a lure pet, I personally like the cuddly pup.

Otherwise, cactus is really strong in different ways. It's not a normal pet. It has a really high damage output with a fast attack speed. And if you do not have any of it's special attacks on auto, it will actually 'kite' it's enemy.
    Once you use a special attack though, it will get into melee range.
    It has the defenses to be a lure pet, but it's definitely a thinking out-of-the-box pet.
    Not that I have ever played one, but maybe it's a good match with a heavy armored fox veno, it definitely matches well with arcane venos who like to go all out/kite.
    Come to think of it, it would prolly be an awesome pvp pet, considering how annoying it is for melee to have to chase it. Add to that it hits as hard as the scorpian, but doesn't have to chase anyone doing so, (once it has acquired it's target, his shooting range is quite far).

I ask as I'm considering leveling a Gali's Cactopod up to 41, sure it won't be quite as fast as an Eldergoth Marksman, but I was thinking it would serve as a comparable lure pet with it's special attacks off. It would also make a great pet for slowing and kiting monsters and bosses outside of dungeons too I would think, given it's pathing doesn't get me in trouble...lol.

Generally speaking ranged pets are great for luring as if I time it right, my pet typically won't even get hit or be in range of a melee attack, it's also great that Cactopods can take a punch here or there if need be. Just wanted to try something outside the norm I've seen of luring with an Eldergoth Marksman. While we're on the subject has anyone ever seen this rumored Eldergoth Archer that's listed here on the PWI database that I've yet to see in this version of the game?

Buried somewhere on the forums someone claimed to have seen one and only one, yet no one seems to have coordinates or any real idea of where they spawn. Being able to level one of those up from 24 would be great, that is if they actually exist in the game. b:thanks
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    I ask as I'm considering leveling a Gali's Cactopod up to 41, sure it won't be quite as fast as an Eldergoth Marksman, but I was thinking it would serve as a comparable lure pet with it's special attacks off. It would also make a great pet for slowing and kiting monsters and bosses outside of dungeons too I would think, given it's pathing doesn't get me in trouble...lol.

Generally speaking ranged pets are great for luring as if I time it right, my pet typically won't even get hit or be in range of a melee attack, it's also great that Cactopods can take a punch here or there if need be. Just wanted to try something outside the norm I've seen of luring with an Eldergoth Marksman. While we're on the subject has anyone ever seen this rumored Eldergoth Archer that's listed here on the PWI database that I've yet to see in this version of the game?

Buried somewhere on the forums someone claimed to have seen one and only one, yet no one seems to have coordinates or any real idea of where they spawn. Being able to level one of those up from 24 would be great, that is if they actually exist in the game. b:thanks

Generally speaking, if it doesn't have coordinates in the database, it's not in the game.

• Shikome - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the responses everyone. b:victory

Well so far it appears that Gali's Cactopod and Acrimonic Cactopods (both start at level 13) have a different behavior pattern altogether. They actually try to tank regardless of whether their special attacks are on auto. Kind of odd really, guess I'll experiment with other types of Cactopod. Unless they're loyalty has any bearing on their behavior in combat, outside of the damage and experience bonuses, that is. *shrugs* b:bye
  • Shikome - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    If speed is what you're needing for a lure pet, I personally like the cuddly pup.

Otherwise, cactus is really strong in different ways. It's not a normal pet. It has a really high damage output with a fast attack speed. And if you do not have any of it's special attacks on auto, it will actually 'kite' it's enemy.
    Once you use a special attack though, it will get into melee range.
    It has the defenses to be a lure pet, but it's definitely a thinking out-of-the-box pet.
    Not that I have ever played one, but maybe it's a good match with a heavy armored fox veno, it definitely matches well with arcane venos who like to go all out/kite.
    Come to think of it, it would prolly be an awesome pvp pet, considering how annoying it is for melee to have to chase it. Add to that it hits as hard as the scorpian, but doesn't have to chase anyone doing so, (once it has acquired it's target, his shooting range is quite far).

Now does it only kite it's target when it's in assist mode, manual mode, or defend mode? At first I figured maybe the behavior during combat might have been a little different with varying Cactopods.

I even went and grabbed an Inferior Cactopod myself with the same results, it just ends up tanking whatever mob I happen to sick it on. Does it only kite at higher levels?

Does it's loyalty have any bearing on it's behavior in combat? Thus far I've tried 3 different Cactopods and have yet to see any of them kite any monster.

What exactly am I missing/doing wrong?
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    You need to release his special attacks when you summon him. They will default to toxic mist (I believe). If the special attacks are on 'auto' (white border around it) the cactus will engage in melee.

Also, I never put any thought into it, but there are 2 different types of cactus, the complete green one (like mine, inferior) and the one with reddish stripes in it. Not sure if they have different behavior patterns, since I have only the Inferior's experience to share.
    Oishasan
    Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Shikome - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    You need to release his special attacks when you summon him. They will default to toxic mist (I believe). If the special attacks are on 'auto' (white border around it) the cactus will engage in melee.

Also, I never put any thought into it, but there are 2 different types of cactus, the complete green one (like mine, inferior) and the one with reddish stripes in it. Not sure if they have different behavior patterns, since I have only the Inferior's experience to share.

Unfortunately I've tried that with an Inferior Cactopod and got the same results, with it not kiting the monsters at all. Does loyalty have any bearing on how the Cactopod behaves in combat?
  • Teseanna - Heavens Tear
    Teseanna - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,021 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Finally was able to level up all my land pets in the Cube room, too k over a week to finally get the roll. (first time I got the damn evil eye...never again)

anyhow, they are all level 51, and I'll post their stats later, but its the cactus[13], 3 beetles[1,2,3], puppy[40], lynx[5], and scorpian[2].
    Which is great, for it leaves me to only grind sea and air pets. b:pleased

What cube room/mob do you do this in?
  • Ravira - Sanctuary
    Ravira - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Room 4, by 1 hitting the mice in there, or so I've read
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Room 4, by 1 hitting the mice in there, or so I've read

Can air pets not be summoned in there? I only ask because my sawfly can be summoned where ever my land pets can be summoned.

• kelex
    kelex Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i was just wondering if anyone knew a good pet or 2 for a new player to tame. i'm looking for a tank type pet that i send in and just sit back and nuke and posibely one that i can use as a dd in a group
  • ShiraAburame - Heavens Tear
    ShiraAburame - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    kelex wrote: »
    i was just wondering if anyone knew a good pet or 2 for a new player to tame. i'm looking for a tank type pet that i send in and just sit back and nuke and posibely one that i can use as a dd in a group

The scorpion or the wolf (whichever one you got from the quest) is good to use until you can tame Magmites at lvl 17. They're located near the Volcanic Purgatory area, northeast of Etherblade.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Well, reached a point where I ran out of quests for my barbarian, and grinding him is waaay too expensive. So I tried using him boxxed with my veno while she levels her turtle..result = win win.
    Latest turtle stats:

Shallowhirl Tortoise Level 49, starting level 5

HP 1641
    Phys Res 4491
    Mag Res 3850
    Damage 841
    Attack 1029
    Evade 617
    Speed 5.6
    Attk Rate 0.6
    Loyalty 999
    Regen past 100% marker

This pet makes me giddy, LOL.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Hitakitsune - Heavens Tear
    Hitakitsune - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well, reached a point where I ran out of quests for my barbarian, and grinding him is waaay too expensive. So I tried using him boxxed with my veno while she levels her turtle..result = win win.
    Latest turtle stats:

Shallowhirl Tortoise Level 49, starting level 5

HP 1641
    Phys Res 4491
    Mag Res 3850
    Damage 841
    Attack 1029
    Evade 617
    Speed 5.6
    Attk Rate 0.6
    Loyalty 999
    Regen past 100% marker

This pet makes me giddy, LOL.

So it makes a good pet. Would Abysmal/Highlands Tortoise have the same growth rate and such? I plan on getting one right after I get my taming skill but I don't really want to trek to Etherblade (not to mention I'd probably get slaughtered along the way at lvl 7) just for one pet then have to trek back.
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure, but almost definitely they would have the same stats and growth rate.However, make sure you have more than one space in your pet bag, since it can't be used on land, and you only get like 1 or 2 water quests before you get near the level 40s, I believe.
  • aerifyre
    aerifyre Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    So it makes a good pet. Would Abysmal/Highlands Tortoise have the same growth rate and such? I plan on getting one right after I get my taming skill but I don't really want to trek to Etherblade (not to mention I'd probably get slaughtered along the way at lvl 7) just for one pet then have to trek back.

The level 5 turtles near each starter city have the same stat growth, like a lot of the starter-area pets. It's merely a choice of which one you think looks the best.
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009

The Hilands Tortoise does have the same growth rate for everything except attack, and at level 8 it starts with

10 less Health
    5 less Attack
    5 less Accuracy
    28 Less P. Def
    24 less M. Def
    4 less Evasion
    .1 m/s faster

At level 25 it's Attack will be 6 lower than the level 5 Turtles which means it's growth rate for that stat is slightly slower, and the Abysmal Turtle will slowly pull away. The other stats, since they use the same growth rate, will become almost indistinguishable at much higher levels.

• Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Off to bed, but had some more turtle fun, (barb ran out of quests again)...

Shallowhirl Tortoise level 52 [5]

HP 1738
    Phys Res 4771
    Mag Res 4090
    Acc/Dam 891
    Phys Attk 1131
    Attk Rate 0.6
    Move 5.6
    Evade 653
    Loyal 999

I think I will rename him Godzilla!
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    shallowhirl tortoise level 54 [5]

hp 1803
    dam/acc 925
    phys attk 1203
    phys res 4958
    mag res 4250
    evade 678
    move 5.6
    attk rate 0.6
    loyal 999
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Hitakitsune - Heavens Tear
    Hitakitsune - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Oishasan, you are definately a god among Venos. b:thanks

And I'm going to name my turtle Ninkame. b:chuckle
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Thank you, I try, but working on my cleric and barb mainly, since venos can't group (pet xp bug).
    If they could, I would be playing 2 venos and my friends would play as well (currrently they won't play because of this..not being able to play veno with friends).

If this bug wasn't in game, we would have a zoo of critters going, LOL. Sadly, it is only me leveling the barb when he runs out of quests.

Turtle is the most fun so far to do this, because he grows so fast.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Teseanna - Heavens Tear
    Teseanna - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,021 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thank you, I try, but working on my cleric and barb mainly, since venos can't group (pet xp bug).
    If they could, I would be playing 2 venos and my friends would play as well (currrently they won't play because of this..not being able to play veno with friends).

If this bug wasn't in game, we would have a zoo of critters going, LOL. Sadly, it is only me leveling the barb when he runs out of quests.

Huh?

b:cute
  • Liavyn - Sanctuary
    Liavyn - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thank you all bunches for the Information!!
    This helps alot for those of us newer to the game even in reference to different kinds of pets :)

I just recently switched from using a Magmite to a wolfy so I could see things again :) I liked hearing about pet that are not the standards, it livens things up a bit.

I have noticed with pets you have to have more than one mob, and the pet/veno have to kill one mob on there own to get exp for the pet :(

Lia
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited February 2009

I second that HUH?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Something I've found when using a veno in a group is if you need the pet to get XP you pretty much are going to solo-group. On the upside, you finish quests faster than actually soloing those kill over 9000 of mob X grindfest quests.

• mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    are the undines any good? i was disappointed to find that they only have their lame melee attack as pets (as opposed to that wind like spell), but anyone have their higher lvl stats?
  • Corryx - Sanctuary
    Corryx - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    II have a whole pack of wolves in bag and bank but also like trying out new pets although perhaps not really unusual but using a giant ant, a beetle king and about to experiment with undines...

Anyway I have tried to take harsh decision which ones to play with regularly and have run a comparison with other normal pets that I use like wolves, golem etc

Lvl 26 results can be seen at: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=1701711#post1701711

Comparison report first appeared on Argosy faction website at:
    http://guild-argosy.webs.com/apps/fo...bundle_id=4351
  • akaikagerou
    akaikagerou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm so glad someone mention the Kittens/Lynxuses!!
    I'm level 20 right now, so I've got a level 20 Scout Lynxus right now. They're one of the best pets to have-reason being that
    A. it's got Bash level 3, which is a pretty powerful attack to have;
    B. it's got pretty high health(out of other pets I've tamed), which is helpful while fighting a higher level monster. Also, you can send it on random killing sprees, and it doesn't die(usually. DO NOT send it after high level monsters on its own)
    C. easy to level up. Honestly, I was level 17 when I tamed that at level 12, and it was equal to me in 2 hours. And that wasn't straight gameplay.

Now, don't go randomly taming it though. If you're leveling up melee attacks instead of magic, don't choose this pet. For me at least, these cats are for monsters that have "increased magic resistance" or whatever. That way, you take the damage and cast your strongest spells, while your pet takes melee damage off of the monster. I would say that the best pet for mainly melee Venomancers is either a Cactopod or Tauroc. Anglers take off pretty heavy damage, and Pierce will lower its defence so you can move in with a weapon. If you disable its attacks so it only uses ranged, you can get close to the monster while your pet distracts it. But as it was said way up at the top of the page, they don't have high HP. So you may have to heal it more than once before the monster is defeated.

Gods, this was a long post.

xD
  • Hammerclaw - Sanctuary
    Hammerclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I was raising a bramblback centipex (lv.24?) and decided I kind of like it, so I went and caught an Ostial Centipex so the stats would be better. I didn't bother checking it's stats before leveling it up, so I can't put what it started at, but currently it's at lv.21 full loyalty/hunger, caught at lv.17

hp:613
    p.atk:198
    damage:446
    atk.rate:0.8
    p.res:1461
    m.res:1461
    evade:346
    speed:7.2 m/sec
    This may be a bit off topic, but how important are the magmites? I don't have a problem with mine, but I already have a Giant Ant and a Centipex, and when I hit 30 I'm thinking about swaping my golem out for my sawfly.

I know most builds say to go with the magmite, but my ant handels most of my tanking (plus I can click on stuff easy with it out) and the centipex is shaping up nicely, and I kinda want to stick with the bug thing. If I stop useing the golem will I be nerfing myself?

One last thing. Is the started scorpion worth leveling up? I left mine at lv.7 so I don't know if it gets good or not.
  • Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I tried the centipex and found it rather squishy. On the upside, its high regeneration means your heal does wonders on it.

Your early scorpion is a great pet because of its powerful attack. Most people swear by the magmites, but I don't use one simply because I don't like how they look (a bit of a sacrifice of function for looks).

I still think Qingfus and Beetles rock! (too high a level now to bother levelling one up though)