Cactus, and other interesting Pets

Oishasan - Sanctuary
Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Venomancer
EDIT:This thread started as just a discussion to discuss different pets. It's long and fun, and you may find some information about pets you normally wouldn't hear about. So enjoy. And HUGE THANKS to all the venos who have been contributing, it's a pleasure to see so many who enjoy the class.

I'm at work, so can't log in to get stats just yet..
but has anyone ever taken a cactus up in levels very high?

I took a level 13 I caught to 39ish recently, and I'll post stats later tomorrow.

But simply put, I am pretty amazed by the little guy. The level 13 has Slow as well as Toxic Mist, so aggro he keeps very well.
But if you don't have any of his skills activated, he stays ranged and actually kites mobs, LOL.
Fast little buggers, and can take punches well.
At 0.5 attack speed he was hitting around 500s on mobs 10+ level than himself.
And obviously nothing outran his dps, since he is so fast and hits ranged.
Only time he closes into melee is to cast Slow or Toxic Mist. I'm wondering if anyone has leveled up a level 4 cactus, and want to know if it's worthy of leveling up instead of continuing with my 13-starter.

Anyways, figured I would start a thread where we can report stats and exp with pets we rarely hear about. I personally am leveling up 9 pets currently, so I have plenty to report as time progresses, lol.

Would love to hear about an Adawolf, or Tuskmoor, even the Rhino, haven't really seen any of those in the 50s..just golems.
Oishasan
Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
Barbarian, feral build

amale
Arcane Veno
Beetle Wrangler
Post edited by Oishasan - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Lochiel - Sanctuary
    Lochiel - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Interestingly enough, I've been spending a lot of time around the cacti near the Gate of Antiquity and wondering how good of pets they were. Good to know they're not bad. I might try taming one myself just to try out. They're cute and I haven't seen people dragging one around with them much.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    They're good as lure pets, but otherwise their stats are on the low end. Catch one from heaven fb89 if you don't want to level an eldergoth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silentoverag - Sanctuary
    Silentoverag - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Can a Blademaster have a pet?..sorry for asking and where can i buy one?
    \
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Can a Blademaster have a pet?..sorry for asking and where can i buy one?
    \

Yes, but only all-class pets, you cannot have pets that will fight with you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Amanduh - Lost City
    Amanduh - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    senovit wrote: »
    They're good as lure pets, but otherwise their stats are on the low end. Catch one from heaven fb89 if you don't want to level an eldergoth.

I was playing around on my mage yesterday at the tower of darkness and was wondering about the eldergoths, they look kinda cool but haven't heard anything about them. i might go get one and level it up on my PVE server veno and try him out. Rino looks kinda neat too.

Has anyone used an Eldergoth or Rino much that can comment on em?
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    once you get to Swiftwind, you do see alot of Venos with eldergoths running around after them (very animated pet, lol). Seen some warriors too.

Later in the next quest town there some Adawolf Valiants that are tameable, not sure what to expect from them yet, was a fly-by.

Haven't seen a single rhino since our first village out of Lower City.

Also looked at the stats on ecto's website for the cactus, er...that's pretty decent for a ranged fighter, but it is the beta site, so will see.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I leveled an Inferior Cactopod from level 13 to 26, and by extrapolating the data out to level 90 it should have the following stats assuming it will take the same stat advancement which I'm still working on, and it's accuracy actually is the same as it's HP.

HP : 2267
    Attack : 1379
    Accuracy : 2267
    Attack Speed : .5
    P. Def : 6475
    M. Def : 7066
    Evasion : 906

The average change per level so far has been as follows:
    HP: 25
    Attack : 16.15
    Accuracy : 25
    P. Def : 73.31
    M. Def : 80
    Evasion : 10

The only numbers that seem to have a rising change is the Attack which means that my estimate at level 90 is low, but I don't have all the numbers, and the numbers are at tamed. I also tamed a Gall's Cactopod, and it's stats are in lock-step with the Inferior Cactopod's while the Superior Cactopod is in lock-step, but 2-3 points lower at each level.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • ShadowTails - Heavens Tear
    ShadowTails - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The average change per level so far has been as follows:
    HP: 25
    Attack : 16.15
    Accuracy : 25
    P. Def : 73.31
    M. Def : 80
    Evasion : 10

I tamed a level 4 Soft Cactopod and leveled it to level 20 and i'm having the same average results (attack started as 11 per level but as been increasing to 20 per level, P. Def as been beetween 73 and 74 per level and all the other are fixed). These are the stats at level 20:

HP : 539
    Attack : 303
    Accuracy : 539
    Attack Speed : .5
    P. Def : 1409
    M. Def : 1537
    Evasion : 215
  • Amanduh - Lost City
    Amanduh - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Once I hit 20 I may tame a low eldergoth or rino and level/try em while I grind out 20 hay. That's what i did on my last veno with a sawfly and was glad I did once I hit 30 and got my amazing air breathing stingray.

PS. sorry to derail your cacti thread i shoulda prolly just started a new eldergoth thread but I'm lazy sometimes :)
    edited January 2009
    Prickly Cactopod, level 33 (tamed at level 4)
    Attack : 512
    Attack rate : 0.50
    Accuracy : 864
    P. Res : 2363
    M. Res : 2578
    Evasion : 346
    HP : 864

The only low point is the HP. But it could make a good pet for a heavy tanking veno, provided you disable it's skills so it will use ranged attacks. I levelled it on living snowmen and was happily surprised how good it was at dealing damage.

Billabong Rhinodrake, level 33 (tamed at level 7)
    Attack : 344
    Attack rate : 0.80
    Accuracy :686
    P. Res : 2341
    M. Res : 2554
    Evasion : 457
    HP : 1141

Did not noticed anything particularly good or bad on this one so far. Will probably make an average pet, with nothing too high and nothing too low.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I've been wondering about the cacti. I just got a Carapest Terror today (decided to go with terror instead of molten, and terror's the lowest level carapest), and I plan to get a Molten Ant some time. I'll post how those go.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    I always wondered about the ant..
    cool lookin pet.

thanks for all the posts on the cactus, he honestly would be a great pet for a fox veno.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Just going to update and post some current pet stats I have from leveling:

Scorpian(47)[2]
    HP 1342 Phys Attk 1135
    Phys Resist 3095 Damage 1138
    Mag Resist 3714 Attk Rate 0.6
    Evade 650 Speed 6.6
    Regen 20%

great DPS pet, evades well, hits like a truck. has bash 2 currently.

Hep Beetle (47)[2]
    HP 1586 Phys Attk 664
    Phys Resist 4023 Damage 976
    Mag Resist 3714 Attk Rate 0.8
    Evade 596 Speed 6.1
    Regen 80%

my main tank, has bash 2 + tough1. very hard to kill him. and small in size.

Shallowhirl Tortoise (44)[5]
    HP 1478 Phys Attk 867
    Phys Resist 4024 Damage 758
    Mag Resist 3450 Attk Rate 0.6
    Evade 556 Speed 5.5
    Regen 100%

my gem in the rough, most likely will have the most incredible stats when I max him out. Incredible pet, he only needs me for food honestly, lol. Has bash 2 currently

Inferior Cactus (40)[13]
    HP 1017 Phys Attk 794
    Phys Resist 2810 Damage 1017
    Mag Resist 3066 Attk Rate 0.5
    Evade 407 Speed 6.8
    Regen 80%

I took the 13 because he has Slow1 (and Toxic Mist1), the Slow is great for he is a nuker's pet. You can go off as hard as you want, and kite your target and this little guy will keep it slowed while firing at it ranged for very decent damage. If you want him to hold aggro he can as well, and take a punch.

Snaggletooth Kitten (40)[5]
    HP 1141 Phys Attk 558
    Phys Resist 2869 Damage 889
    Mag Resist 2869 Attk Rate 0.8
    Evade 645 Speed 7.2
    Regen 20%

the kitten is a nice surprise, think of a land version of the sawfly. Also, the evade # is misleading, because he rarely gets hit, dodges alot of damage. fun pet, holds aggro well, and great speed. currently has bash 1.

Cuddly Puppy (41)[40]
    HP 1170 Phys Attk 548
    Phys Resist 2685 Damage 780
    Mag Resist 2930 Attk Rate 0.8
    Evade 476 Speed 9.0
    Regen 30%

I found this guy one day, so I'm leveling him up. He isn't the greatest pet so far, can't take a punch very well, and doesn't dodge, lol. His damage isn't all that great, but he has ALOT of skills that make up for it, if you are good at using them (bash1, flesh ream2, threaten1, slow2). He can hold aggro well because of his skills. But I think the main reason to keep this pet so far...his speed. 9.0 This little bugger makes a great lure pet, if I can keep him alive, LOL.

'til next update! (I haven't leveled up the Jaden, or Pent King, Sawfly, nor Foxwing since my last posts, so didn't see the need to repeat 'em)
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Could I request the folks posting their pet stats please include the loyalty level? All the stats except attack seem to follow a simple formula, but the attack rating seems to vary for each pet type (i.e. two different pet species with the same attack growth rating do not gain the same amount of attack per level). Unfortunately the attack rating also varies with loyalty level, which is driving me nuts trying to figure out how the attack rating growth works.

Edit: corrected loyalty/hunger - thanks ShadowTails
    edited January 2009
    Could I request the folks posting their pet stats please include the hunger level? All the stats except attack seem to follow a simple formula, but the attack rating seems to vary for each pet type (i.e. two different pet species with the same attack growth rating do not gain the same amount of attack per level). Unfortunately the attack rating also varies with hunger level, which is driving me nuts trying to figure out how the attack rating growth works.

I think it depends on hunger level and loyalty of the pet (>500 gives the max rating).

I've been wondering if all pet stats have a linear growth rate (the average change between 2 levels remains constant) or if there have different behaviour. What do you think about this?
    edited January 2009
    I think it depends on hunger level and loyalty of the pet (>500 gives the max rating).
    Er, yeah, the loyalty. That's the word I was looking for. b:laugh The loyalty modifies the attack rating to 60%, 80%, 100%, or 120%. What's driving me nuts is that people often don't mention the loyalty, so I have to try to figure out if the attack rating they list for a pet is 60%, 80%, 100%, or 120% the base value.
    I've been wondering if all pet stats have a linear growth rate (the average change between 2 levels remains constant) or if there have different behaviour. What do you think about this?
    From the numbers I've gathered, it's linear. The attack rating growth however has quite a range even for pets with the same growth value for attack.

For example, both the sawfly and golem have an attack growth rating of 6. But the sawfly is gaining about 17.3 attack per level, while the golem is gaining about 20.3 (adjusted so loyalty is not a factor). For all the other stats, I've found pets with the same growth rating gain the same amount per level.
    edited January 2009
    From the numbers I've gathered, it's linear. The attack rating growth however has quite a range even for pets with the same growth value for attack.

With a linear growth rate we should be able to determine the approximated value in any level if we have the average growth rate and the value at a certain level.

I'm levelling several pets atm to see if the growth rate stays always linear.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    as far as loyalty level goes..
    my pets aren't even allowed to engage an enemy until they are loyal..
    and are constantly 999/999 FULL.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear: "The only low point is the HP. But it could make a good pet for a heavy tanking veno, provided you disable it's skills so it will use ranged attacks. I levelled it on living snowmen and was happily surprised how good it was at dealing damage"

As a heavy veno, I had the same idea, but I was really disappointed. The cacti have a really low attackrate, and poison mist is useless, since you get it yourself if you go foxform. I found the ideal pet for a heavy veno to be a Tauroc angler I tamed at lvl 7. It has a faire attack/accuracy with a attackrate of 0.8 attack/second and bash, nice hp/phys def (only mag def is low), but most importantly it has pierce. This skill is really usefull for a heavy veno.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't say the mist is useless at all.

If you are properly using the cactus, the mist is specifically used to take aggro if its needed. I use the level 13 starter, which has slow and mist.
    Depending on what capacity I am using the cactus (tank or kiting) the mist has been a great way of diverting attention from me when I need it.
    i.e. if it's tanking, I have slow on auto, if I draw aggro i hit mist and cactus takes it back asap.
    If it's ranged kiting, I keep slow on auto (sometimes), but rarely use the mist less I need to have him grab aggro from an add, for the mist is instant aggro, and kiting I am usually out of range to heal the cactus.

long story short, mist is a very useful skill, it draws aggro equal to bash. test it out on your sawfly.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
    edited January 2009
    I'm levelling several pets atm to see if the growth rate stays always linear.

From what I've seen from 8 pets most of the stats (Damage, Evade, Phys. Res., Mag. Res. and HP) have a linear growth. The great exception to this rule seems to be Phys. Atk. that appears to increase more as levels go by.

Can some high levels send me the stats from their Crystalline Magmite so I can verify this behaviour? I could use any Crystalline Magmite stat that is level 40 or higher and both Loyal (loyalty > 500) and Full (hunger).
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    From what I've seen from 8 pets most of the stats (Damage, Evade, Phys. Res., Mag. Res. and HP) have a linear growth. The great exception to this rule seems to be Phys. Atk. that appears to increase more as levels go by.

Can some high levels send me the stats from their Crystalline Magmite so I can verify this behaviour? I could use any Crystalline Magmite stat that is level 40 or higher and both Loyal (loyalty > 500) and Full (hunger).

The growth is linear, and seems to follow a formula of some type so that for every x levels, it the rate increases by y so that if you know what that is you can approximate what it should be at level z by multiplying the difference between the current level and level z by the approximate change per level.

OR

(((static change)+(y/x))*(wanted level - current(known) level))+(current level stat)

For most of the stats (y/x) is 0 or -.5.

Not that I've ever taken a math class or anything...

Oh, and if you were curious, this is what I'm using at the moment to analyze my data. (it's an OpenOffice document)

http://www.myotherdrive.com/file/778.154812.26012009.57698.6a64fi/PWPETS_4.ods

This is was taken at loyalty :: tame.

edited January 2009
    but most importantly it has pierce. This skill is really usefull for a heavy veno.

And what prevent anyone from having their cactus learn Pierce? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited January 2009
    I should clarify. The attack growth rate is not linear. The other growth rates are linear. I bit the bullet and started leveling a level 2 beetle to try to get the attack growth calc rate cracked, recording the stats every level. It looks like a simple scaling with lvl/const + another const. But I'll need to level up a couple other pets to compare. This will take a while... b:sad
  • Xiayo - Heavens Tear
    Xiayo - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    sry for posting off topic
    1) has anyone know if the iron hawk near vibrant cliffs and arrows fall is tamable
    2)how do i get pet scrolls for skills?
    3)wat skills are good for a crackpot lynux?
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    sry for posting off topic
    1) has anyone know if the iron hawk near vibrant cliffs and arrows fall is tamable
    2)how do i get pet scrolls for skills?
    3)wat skills are good for a crackpot lynux?

1 >> No

2 >> From Mrs. Zoologist in the South District of Archosaur. 586, 620

• haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Could I request the folks posting their pet stats please include the loyalty level? All the stats except attack seem to follow a simple formula, but the attack rating seems to vary for each pet type (i.e. two different pet species with the same attack growth rating do not gain the same amount of attack per level). Unfortunately the attack rating also varies with loyalty level, which is driving me nuts trying to figure out how the attack rating growth works.

Edit: corrected loyalty/hunger - thanks ShadowTails

I just caught a turtle today for my water quests and was sitting there feeding it while looking @ its stats to kill time until maintenance lol. I've noticed that the attack rating jumps up every time I hit a higher tier of loyalty (wild->tame->loyal). And then I had this theory: Attack growth IS linear, but we are looking at the wrong number.

According to the pet npc, a pet will dish out a % of its true attack rating according to loyalty level. At Tame loyalty, the pet does 100% damage, but most people usually use pets at Loyal loyalty(max loyalty). So we are not looking at the pet's actual attack, but 120% of its actual attack. That explains why some ppl notice that attack seem to grow at a higher and higher rate as the pet lvls, since with percentages, the bigger the original number, the bigger the difference a percentage makes. My turtle's attack was 786 when Tame, and 943 when loyal. 786 x 120% = 943.2

I never did any number crunching on pets though, so this is just a theory :P

well anyways, here are my pets' stats:

Crystalline Magmite lvl 59 (caught @ lvl 17)
    Loyalty: Loyal
    HP: 1927 Phys atk: 1568
    Phys resist: 5692 Mag resist: 3795
    Damage(accuracy): 889 Evade: 658
    Atk rate: 0.6/sec speed: 5.9

Frogling (Treefrog) lvl 60 (caught @ lvl 9)
    HP: 1833 Phys atk: 1054
    Phys resist: 4698 Mag resist: 5480
    Damage(accuracy): 1222 Evade: 814
    Atk rate: 0.8/sec speed: 7.4

Petite Sawfly lvl 59 (caught @ lvl 8)
    HP: 1505 Phys atk: 1609
    Phys resist: 3855 Mag resist: 3855
    Damage(accuracy): 1304 Evade: 802
    Atk rate: 0.6/sec speed: 8.5

Tortoise Everlasting lvl 51 (caught @ lvl 51)
    HP: 1556 Phys atk: 943
    Phys resist: 4248 Mag resist: 3642
    Damage(accuracy): 798 Evade: 585
    Atk rate: 0.6/sec speed: 6.5

Echomaid lvl 56 (caught @ lvl 56)
    Loyalty: Tame
    HP: 1310 Phys atk: 760
    Phys resist: 3335 Mag resist: 4668
    Damage(accuracy): 1222 Evade: 815
    Atk rate: 0.6/sec speed: 8.9

I've replaced the echomaid with the turtle. That echomaid was a very bad tank. Its speed and looks are the only things good about it. Its attack is lower since I didn't raise its loyalty, but with a main attack that water mobs resists and a low attack-growth rate, that probably didn't matter much. My main problem with it is that it is way too fragile. It dies more easily than my bee and it doesn't have much else to make up for it. I thought it was not a big deal at first, but then I realized that there are quite a lot of water quests around that level b:surrender. I'm hoping that the turtle will be better. ~30 minutes until servers are back up hehe.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    just throwing this out there, but if you're just grabbing turtles and not actually raising one..
    There were a ton of level 58ish+ turtles I saw on the coast in the NorthEast portion of the map. by TaiChi Isle.
    Good to see the stats on the 51 turtle though, and great info on the loyalty factor, I'll be placing those in my stats now from here on.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    just throwing this out there, but if you're just grabbing turtles and not actually raising one..
    There were a ton of level 58ish+ turtles I saw on the coast in the NorthEast portion of the map. by TaiChi Isle.
    Good to see the stats on the 51 turtle though, and great info on the loyalty factor, I'll be placing those in my stats now from here on.

cool thx! Do you remember the name of the turtle by any chance?
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    No, all I recall is seeing some very large, very red sharks, and as I was swimming in reverse, I saw below me the turtles...
    they were deeper down, along the wall of the coast itself.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler