So Zen prices are ridiculous.

celes
celes Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
1 USD per Zen? 3 dollars per Silver Hiero? 40 dollars for a mount?

Whats with all the good games that were successful in old versions getting mucked up by English companies?

In MY-EN it was roughly 33 cents per 1 "Zen". Hierograms costed about a dollar and EXP scrolls were 33 cents per hour. Prices coulda been cheaper, but for the most part I didn't mind them too much. I had fun and got to 8x and quit because Cubi-zone was to corrupt and idiotic, and the lag was insane.

Now with PWi, I was happy because Perfect World was always my favorite F2P MMO. I've always put some money into the Cash Shop in most games I've played, but if it's gonna cost me 3 dollars per Hierogram, the company can kindly shove off.

With unfair prices for an item thats staple to the game, Perfect World International is heading the same path as Rohan International, a complete failure.

So, I'll be fair and say there is no actual offical word, but the big rumor is that these are the prices the company is setting up.

Seems like I'll have to find another game, all the games coming out right now are seem to be out to line their pockets heavily before their game dies.
Post edited by celes on

Comments

• kenneth
    kenneth Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    celes wrote: »

Whats with all the good games that were successful in old versions getting mucked up by English companies?

In MY-EN it was roughly 33 cents per 1 "Zen". Hierograms costed about a dollar and EXP scrolls were 33 cents per hour. Prices coulda been cheaper, but for the most part I didn't mind them too much. I had fun and got to 8x and quit because Cubi-zone was to corrupt and idiotic, and the lag was insane.

Now with PWi, I was happy because Perfect World was always my favorite F2P MMO. I've always put some money into the Cash Shop in most games I've played, but if it's gonna cost me 3 dollars per Hierogram, the company can kindly shove off.

With unfair prices for an item thats staple to the game, Perfect World International is heading the same path as Rohan International, a complete failure.

So, I'll be fair and say there is no actual offical word, but the big rumor is that these are the prices the company is setting up.

Seems like I'll have to find another game, all the games coming out right now are seem to be out to line their pockets heavily before their game dies.

Phew. Good thing I read the whole statement first. You almost crushed my dreams there. :(

Just out of curiousity, is the above rate better or worse than the Perfect World MY-EN rate? I really don't want to have to re-install that version after getting ready for this. Proably should not have put all of my eggs in one basket.
  • troll
    troll Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    $1 per zen won't work, can tell you that now.

hopefully this is just unfounded rumor and nothing more...but if anyone was planning on those prices - quick heads up - nobody will pay that...players burn through hieros like water...and most people aren't stupid enough to spend that much cash in a game.
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    And how much is one Zen in Cubigold? Nobody knows.

I'd say a nice exchange rate would be 1 dollar = 100 or 1000 Zen, nice conversion. But we don't know if Zen are the same as Cubicoins, or whole Cubigold, so let's all wait, then QQ after we see the prices ok?
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • troll
    edited August 2008
    bron wrote: »
    And how much is one Zen in Cubigold? Nobody knows.

I'd say a nice exchange rate would be 1 dollar = 100 or 1000 Zen, nice conversion. But we don't know if Zen are the same as Cubicoins, or whole Cubigold, so let's all wait, then QQ after we see the prices ok?

to answer your question, 1 zen = 1 cubigold.

what the OP said was if $1 = 1 zen where before 33 cents = 1 cubigold then the cash shop would fail.

because then it'd be $3 a silver hiero instead of $1 a silver hiero, and if you actually played game to a decent level you'd know how quickly that would burn your cash...

anyway, just respond to OP.
  • bron
    edited August 2008
    Alrighty, so then acording to that conversion, we should get 3 Zen per dollar, which would be the correct exchange rate.

Actually I only made the highest to 42, then I had to quit because life comes first. People don't start to use Hieros until way later, but I know how fast they can go.

Ok so responding to the OP, hes right. We need to have the same prices, because nobody is going to shell out three bucks on one Hiero that will be gone in the blink of an eye.
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    and that's even more rediculous for items like the marriage items, that would bring them to like 90 BUCKS a piece, I was planning on buying one in the future, but not if it's going to cost me such money, especially since that 90 bucks can get me like 6 months of play time on like WoW or FFXI, or any pay to play game.
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It'll be hilarious if the 99 cubi fly tools are $99 here.... not.
    I can imagine a lot of people would quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • matthew
    matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I will quit if the prices are more then pw-my. Gold mana hierogram = 900,000 mana. I burn through that in 9 hours solo, 4.5 in an aoe party. Gold mana hierograms are $1.66 in pw-my, 5 cubigold. If 1 zen = $1 then that is over five dollars a day in hierogram cost alone. This game is not worth $150+ a month...sorry, hahaha. I really hope the people running this know what they are doing, or this is just Rohan all over again(which was major fail).
  • celes
    edited August 2008
    Right, thats the rumor travelling around and I feel the same way. Prices that are more expensive then MY-EN would pretty much kill the game.
  • celes
    edited August 2008
    Really, I think an offical word would be nice on the prices =/
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Patience kids!

Feel free to discuss what you think the item prices should be in US $$. You never know, some of your suggestions may be considered :D
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • troll
    edited August 2008
    Patience kids!

Feel free to discuss what you think the item prices should be in US $$. You never know, some of your suggestions may be considered :D

i think 10 cents per zen sounds cool ;)

anybody else?
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Patience kids!

Please, stop playing with us. You already played us on the pve servers for closed beta. Just come out and tell us what the Zen is worth so we can uninstall this game if need be. Why wait and have people gear up for open beta and get hyped, just to disappoint us again with a ridiculous cash shop. Btw, I'm no kid.
  • zoefox
    zoefox Posts: 225
    edited August 2008
    matthew wrote: »
    Please, stop playing with us. You already played us on the pve servers for closed beta. Just come out and tell us what the Zen is worth so we can uninstall this game if need be. Why wait and have people gear up for open beta and get hyped, just to disappoint us again with a ridiculous cash shop. Btw, I'm no kid.

They may not have actually decided on the conversion rate yet. Ever thought of that? Reading the comments here can help them decide, or possibly alter it if they have one in mind. They clearly don't want most of the player base leaving because of high prices, that defeats the entire purpose of making games such as this. To make money.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    zoefox wrote: »
    They may not have actually decided on the conversion rate yet. Ever thought of that? Reading the comments here can help them decide, or possibly alter it if they have one in mind. They clearly don't want most of the player base leaving because of high prices, that defeats the entire purpose of making games such as this. To make money.

You mean to tell me you think these people went into business with NO IDEA of what they would charge for Zen? BS
  • zoefox
    edited August 2008
    You mean to tell me you think these people went into business with NO IDEA of what they would charge for Zen? BS

The business hasn't actually started yet if you haven't noticed. That's why this topic is even here. They may have been counting on such a topic to be made. You find out what the players think is reasonable, and try to charge within that range.
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I think the BEST area to put zen transfer is somewhere around 20-25cents per zen, some of us can't afford to pay a lot in the cash shot, and that price point would be appealing to me as well as many others, that's my suggestion, cause I would spend more at that price than at 33 cents, and none on it at all if over 50 cents.
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • djtav0
    djtav0 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    basically :

Prices higher than PW-MY = WTF.. BB

Prices equal to PW-MY ones = Ok... anyways this has a better ping and support (?)

Prices slightly cheaper than PW-MY= suits the name "Perfect world"
  • troll
    edited August 2008
    the lower the price the more likely it is people will spend it freely and not stop to count up how much they spend.

definitely don't put it at over the 33 cents per zen; 20 cents per zen sounds nicer; 10 cents per zen sounds best (i kid, however got to say that'd be sweet).
  • triss
    triss Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    $1 USD = 10 ZEN would attract much more players than PW-MY and PW-EU (unless they even lower the price)
    The business concept should be larger playber base and cheaper item mall. The game is good; there is no doubt about that; but if the item mall is expensive, in the long run, people will not stay.

For me, I will not spend any real cash if the exchange rate is less than 5 ZEN per USD dollars. Of course this is reflecting the current item mall prices.
  • bron
    edited August 2008
    33 cents per Cubigold going to 33 cents per Zen is what it should be, or less. If it's more, it just gives people a reason to say "I have a high(er) level on the other server, and even though it may lag a bit more more, at least it's Cash Shop is affordable, and I don't have to relevel. Bye." And the company loses 80% of their players. Way to go.
  • ambushmartyr
    ambushmartyr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Personally, I think the game should take a violent view of Requiem:Bloodymare`s item mall prices, seriously! While the game is a complete wreck atm the prices are imo the cheapest Ive seen in a long time for a F2P, and they are making money hand over fist atm despite the game being a complete bugfest,no content towards end levels atm.

So check out those prices, and compare to the MY ones and come to a agreeable price for things that are needed on a daily basis, which should be fairly cheap, and those that are basically a one time thing maybe slightly more expensive, but not to a point i have to spend $50 for a mount, instead, opt to go buy Guild Wars and play it free.

While I want to see the company make money as Im sure they do too, I also want to see competetive pricing for F2Ps be cheaper than a P2P. While some will argue that point on grounds of paying a monthly fee (and not feeling that its worth it due to short play times because of work,family, so on) the pricing Ive seen for most of these F2Ps now would in fact justify a monthly fee game in a lot of aspects. So cheaper means access to all and in the mid to long term a financial win for the company hosting the game imo.
  • zoefox
    edited August 2008
    Its not like supply is an issue either. They have an infinite supply of the items of course.

I like the way this topic is going. I'd be reading this closely if I had anything to do with PWE (I don't of course)

Know what your customers are willing to pay. Charge too much and everyone simply leaves. Charge too little and you simply don't turn enough of a profit.
  • bron
    edited August 2008
    zoefox wrote: »
    Know what your customers are willing to pay. Charge too much and everyone simply leaves. Charge too little and you simply don't turn enough of a profit.
    Exactly how business works. They need to set a price that people are willing to pay.
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    celes wrote: »

For one, on PW MY, the same mount (a kylin) is 89 cubi-gold, where as in the close beta item mall of PWI, that mount is 40 zen. You could also get the jaguar for only 10 zen. :P Prices may change for open beta.

We won't really know the price of zen until after open beta starts. And an admin has said it may still be an open decision.

My suggestion to the admins would be $0.25 per zen to undercut other markets :P or $0.33 per zen to be equal to the other competitive market that supplies an English version.

Please take into consideration PWE, that Perfect World International even with more polished translation and support, is still based off the same game Perfect World II, which will have two near perfect substitutions in the global market (Perfect World MS and Perfect World MY). Product differentiation being minimal in terms of design, PWE should seek to maintain competition based on price.

^_~
  • alazar
    alazar Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I understand that the cash shop can't be to cheep. Reason being it would ruin the in game economy if every one was buying cash shop gold and selling it for in game money. However, It needs to be low price enough to be reasonable. Example, Take requiem cash shop. Its perfect. Did you know that most of the players in that game who are above level 50 actually use it more than once a week? Almost all 60 people in my guild Use the cash shop more than once a week! They are mostly level 30-62. I myself have used it once, and am level 41. But I plan to use it again. Basically if you keep low prices people are more willing to use the cash shop regularly. Its better than to have a few people spend big bucks, To have tons of people spend a little bit, Trust me it adds up!. Look at Requiem its forums rarely have a negative post. Players are happy. Happy players will buy from the cash shop more than angry players who feel they would be getting rip off.

I really hope that you consider fair cash shop conversion. It should be enough to spend 15 dollars a month and get enough benefits for the entire month to get by quite well near the end game. However, It should not be cheep enough that every one can afford everything on it at all times, Because that way the in game economy will be ruined. Find the sweet spot (^_~) and go for it, but Make sure that you don't over do it or people will leave this game, There are plenty other Free 2 play mmorpgs to choose from that have great potential Requiem Runes of Magic to name a few.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Well the pet rides, fashion, aviation, etc don't really matter to me. They are nice to have, but not necessary. Hierograms and experience scrolls are necessary to me for leveling. Hierograms and dolls are necessary for pvp/pk, without a doubt. The prices of those three items will make or break the cash shop.
  • vem0m
    vem0m Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    kenneth wrote: »
    I really don't want to have to re-install that version after getting ready for this. Proably should not have put all of my eggs in one basket.

Wouldn't help you after the release of this version US and related territories will be locked out of the MY-EN servers.
  • alazar
    edited August 2008
    Well the pet rides, fashion, aviation, etc don't really matter to me. They are nice to have, but not necessary. Hierograms and experience scrolls are necessary to me for leveling. Hierograms and dolls are necessary for pvp/pk, without a doubt. The prices of those three items will make or break the cash shop.

This is true, Items that are required to play HAVE to be low price for people to afford on regular basis. If they are not people will just leave this game for one of the other versions...or a cheaper free 2 play game.
  • alazar
    edited August 2008
    vem0m wrote: »
    Wouldn't help you after the release of this version US and related territories will be locked out of the MY-EN servers.

Nice way to try to keep your player base in check, (for the devs) but trust me when I tell you this will only cause more people to quit. Look at what happened to sword of the new world ? Just look. Had so much potential, but overpriced cash shop, Grindy lame game play, and trying to prevent people form playing the other versions (which were worse of hacker wise better of price wise) Basically Sword had to shut down one of its servers because of lack of players, You don't want this happening here do ya? (Devs)