The Challenge of Champions Redux

thenamesdomino
thenamesdomino Posts: 545 Perfect World Employee
Hey Everyone!
We're starting a new thread for our new and improved:

The Challenge of Champions!

The rules are simple… Dominate the HeavenFall Tower by any means necessary.

Your quest for glory begins now!

Here’s how this will work: Due to some game bugs, we will restart this event on 12/23. Cross server records will be wiped and restart. We will have compensation for players who joined the events and entered into TOP 10 cross server rank.
Starting on 12/23/15 and running through until 1/29/16 we will be regularly checking out the All and Class Rankings on HeavenFall Tower of cross-server.

On 1/29/16 18:00 PM PST all characters in the No.1 through No. 5 spots in the “All” and “Class” rankings will receive some very cool prizes!

All:
No 1. Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 * Soulgem Pack +1 War Avatar Chest S

No 2 -- No 5. Soul gem Pack + 1 War Avatar Chest S

Class:
No 1 Holiday's wish (the ring) + 1 War Avatar Chest S

No 2 -- No 5. War Avatar Chest S

**Each character can only win 1 prize. If one character shows up in the top 5 on both ranking reports, that character will be awarded for their highest rank only. The rank on the other report will be disregarded for the next player in line.

Seem easy enough? BOSS FIGHT MODE ENGAGED!!!

If any character can stay in the First Place Rank in the “All” Ranking report each time we check the rankings, that player will receive a prize worthy of their legendary powers!

The Best Robe in the game: Matchless Wings!

We will check the rankings 5 times, A player on this quest MUST be First in the “All” Rankings Each of those 5 days to qualify.
By doing so, not only will they win the Holiday's wish (the ring),
Soulgem Pack, War Avatar Chest S, BUT they will emerge victorious with the Matchless Wings!

Rankings Will Be checked at the following times:

01/01 18:00 PM PST
01/08 18:00 PM PST
01/15 18:00 PM PST
01/22 18:00 PM PST
01/29 18:00 PM PST

Please use this new thread for all new questions and feedback. :)

Comments

• tuttle
    tuttle Posts: 254 Arc User
    This is an absolute WASTE

Cross server makes this event utterly trash. When it was per server it was worth thought.
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @thenamesdomino It would be nice to know what gets changed exactly. Cause if only the bug gets fixed but you still can farm buffs/reset rooms without increasing your overall time then our current times are still achievable. The thing is that I will surely try that out on another char before attempting my try but would be great to know for others that don't have multiple chars.

In my honest opinion..I think all the time should be counted so that you have to do a full, straight run, without being able to farm buffs/reset rooms for perfect times. The thing is that this would definitly turn it into max-gear-players-only. Would be the most fair tho.
  • gundameister00
    gundameister00 Posts: 63 Arc User
    What are the chances of take records from cross-server rank and rewards per server?

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I will change the world..........
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    So veno can still pet glitch?
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    edited December 2015
    So veno can still pet glitch?
    The way Domino stated it, they may have fixed that.

If not, they can at least tell when someone is glitching it and that will disqualify them from the event.
    It might also get their account banned.

Edit: From the old thread he had stated the following...
    IF your time is that good and you remain at the top of the leaderboard? The idea behind this is that you're going to want to remain vigilant and competitive if you want those matchless wings. With the removal of the bug and the restart of the event on the 23rd those obscenely fast times will be harder to come by.
    ​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    I believe they plan to fix the bug on the 22nd maintenance with the patch that applies the new pvp instance. This is from mintsummer in the last thread:

OK...Looks like we have some problems here. I have following clarifications for everyone, hope it can explain the event better.
    1. The glitch of "Pet" will be removed after maintenance on 12/22. Thus, we will restart the event from 12/23/2015 until 01/22/2016.
    2. We will remove "Satyrion" 's record on 12/22. And restart the cross server rank on 12/23
    3. I updated the rewards list and rule.
    4. For player who participated this event and made into TOP 10 during past week, there will be some surprise for you guys.
  • neodaystar
    neodaystar Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @thenamesdomino
    You say "we will restart this event on 12/23" Wednesday after maintenance, but the first check up on scores don't happen until 1/1/2016 Friday. So there won't be any score check up on 12/25/2015, or did you forget to list 25th as one of the score check dates - which is the first Friday of the reset?
  • grace83shin
    grace83shin Posts: 55 Arc User
    eirghan said:

I believe they plan to fix the bug on the 22nd maintenance with the patch that applies the new pvp instance. This is from mintsummer in the last thread:

OK...Looks like we have some problems here. I have following clarifications for everyone, hope it can explain the event better.

1. The glitch of "Pet" will be removed after maintenance on 12/22. Thus, we will restart the event from 12/23/2015 until 01/22/2016.

2. We will remove "Satyrion" 's record on 12/22. And restart the cross server rank on 12/23

3. I updated the rewards list and rule.

4. For player who participated this event and made into TOP 10 during past week, there will be some surprise for you guys.

New pvp instance? o.o
    Stormbringer Thaumaturg of Tideswell
    102/101/101 Chaotic Soul
    One lightning bolt at a time baby!
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    Now that you are using the cross server times which are persistent week to week it is going to open up the event to a lot more people. Before the event was only open to whoever could finish before the Friday check which was a short 2 day window. Now people just need to do 1 good time any time in the next month.​​
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    Thanx slyenthunder I missed that part where they said the bug was removed.
  • chipboy
    chipboy Posts: 56 Arc User
    just to verify, all this is cross server only? Not per server?
  • thenamesdomino
    thenamesdomino Posts: 545 Perfect World Employee
    Correct - Cross Server
  • mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    nice way to "fix" the bug...just sad
  • kurisukotze
    kurisukotze Posts: 240 Arc User
    Well Im not a Veno Im a Seeker and our pet is useless inside Heavenfall, but mystic and Veno need their pets so isn't there a way to fix the bug rather than stop pets from being summoned? Just seems unfair for Venos (Mostly) and Mystics
    Rencko - 105/105/105 - Seeker -Twilight Temple Server

Current Gear:
    *Out of Date*
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    This is just sad... To ''fix'' some competition. you guys just mess up 2 classes from the instance.
    What will it be next?
    No BP inside or no heals?

I am usually not the negative type but the way in which you brake things to fix others is just lame.

But again... What can I expect from programers that put a yes/no message box when you run out of hypers? :D

• splendideyes
    splendideyes Posts: 328 Arc User
    apart from harpy, pets were pretty useless in there anyway
  • kurisukotze
    kurisukotze Posts: 240 Arc User

apart from harpy, pets were pretty useless in there anyway

My one friend spent a fortune on his harpy pet for heavenfall and now it useless, not only that it can be used to pull certain mobs away from you to stop you from taking alot of damage like in pilgrims room
    Rencko - 105/105/105 - Seeker -Twilight Temple Server

Current Gear:
    *Out of Date*
  • zoldickun
    zoldickun Posts: 197 Arc User
    I will manage to do it without a pet and probably with just 5 or 10 more minutes. But pet where not useless :
    - extra damage on boss (of course)
    - able to finish mobs without having to do one extra hit (when you hit a mob and remove 95%HP, you will now need one more hit). It was really useful to me in Monk or Believers rooms
    - Mistress AOE (mystics) was really useful versus Calamity to hit the orbs
    - Very useful in energy rooms as well, to kill the mobs while moving, or to stun the dragons
    - Could be used as a distraction in Pilgrim to keep mobs away
    - Could be leeched (mystics) to be more tanky
    - ... and so on...

And anyway, can we really consider that this is a correct way to fix a bug ?
  • opalhs
    opalhs Posts: 34 Arc User
    Is we going for 2-5 place(S chest in class ranking),we just need to be in FIRST 5 in OUR CLASS in CROSS SERVER ranking on 01/29 18:00 PM PST right?

01/01 18:00 PM PST
    01/08 18:00 PM PST
    01/15 18:00 PM PST
    01/22 18:00 PM PST
    those other dates are not important for us and server class ranking is not important?
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    zoldickun wrote: »
    I will manage to do it without a pet and probably with just 5 or 10 more minutes. But pet where not useless :
    - extra damage on boss (of course)
    - able to finish mobs without having to do one extra hit (when you hit a mob and remove 95%HP, you will now need one more hit). It was really useful to me in Monk or Believers rooms
    - Mistress AOE (mystics) was really useful versus Calamity to hit the orbs
    - Very useful in energy rooms as well, to kill the mobs while moving, or to stun the dragons
    - Could be used as a distraction in Pilgrim to keep mobs away
    - Could be leeched (mystics) to be more tanky
    - ... and so on...

And anyway, can we really consider that this is a correct way to fix a bug ?

This. Pets were really useful in the tower if you knew how to take advantage of them. Sure, it's do-able without pets as well, but it is a pretty disappointing fix for two classes that pets (Venomancers) and summons (Mystics) are an integral part of the them.

I am happy to see a glitch taken cared of, especially in a very fast manner. I don't want to seem like I am ungrateful either, but it really is disappointing to limit two classes like that. I know @thenamesdomino is not your fault, as you probably just notified Wanmei for a fix, but I hope you understand why this is such a poorly "fixed" glitch.

​​
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Did they forbid using pets at all? normal-16.gif
    Really...
    are_you_kidding_me_rage_face_meme_flyer-p244937788706157944bfpe8_400_large.jpg
    Gz to those who bought harpy special for tower.

I just hope it's a temporary "fix". But in this case it's not fair to continue the contest.
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • missinin17
    missinin17 Posts: 38 Arc User
    Breaking something to fix another isn't fixing anything, you just went back to square one.
  • zoldickun
    zoldickun Posts: 197 Arc User
    The "funny thing" is that, if I understood correctly, there is no real advantage in the pet glitch. The saved time is wrong but you don't really finish the instance faster, right ?
    So the only "problem" is for this specific contest... but pretty sure they won't allow people to use pets/summons even after the end of the contest...
    That's actually kinda sad :/
  • testxvi
    testxvi Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Nothing is fixed, you can still use pet.

RIP contest.​​
  • shade13
    zoldickun wrote: »
    The "funny thing" is that, if I understood correctly, there is no real advantage in the pet glitch. The saved time is wrong but you don't really finish the instance faster, right ?
    So the only "problem" is for this specific contest... but pretty sure they won't allow people to use pets/summons even after the end of the contest...
    That's actually kinda sad :/

From what I know China made marathons for Tower with special rewards, which are not just local events, but included into updates, so possible we might have them too (or not, here I'm not sure). So, this glitch could affect more than just 1 specific contest.
    But in general you are right, it gives no advantage at all, only shows wrong time.

Btw, venos a nd mystics have lowest attack of all magic classes and pets are made exactly to compensate this. Taking them away means taking away significant part of their playstyle. Even tho physical pet doesn't do huge damage, it can be used in many legit ways.
    Well, innocent suffered.
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • shade13
    edited December 2015
    testxvi wrote: »
    Nothing is fixed, you can still use pet.
    RIP contest.

Just checked. Really nothing is fixed and pet works O___o
    Then what was all this fuss about? xD
    Meh, I won't post anything before checking on my own tiger-7.gif
    I don't care about contest, just want to do tower with maximal comfort pig-2.gif
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I guess we can't even trust the patch notes. mouse-2.gif Glitch still works.

But what now?monkey-16.gif

​​
  • shade13
    testxvi wrote: »

But what now?monkey-16.gif

They will catch glitch users manually pig-37.gif
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @thenamesdomino @mintsummer
    Seems the fix was a flop. Should we bother with the huge effort to make a legit time for this event this week or not? I've been gearing up and preparing supplies for it but I don't want to have to compete directly against exploitable classes that can get arbitrarily low times (venomancer, seeker, stormbringer, mystic).

Maybe you should just have a separate category for the pet classes and let them glitch all the want?
    Also if you are really planning to go the no-pet route it seems pretty likely you'd have to remove all summoned NPCs like the various Mystic Plants or Stormbringer's Churning Vortex.
    ​​
  • klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    asterelle said:

@thenamesdomino @mintsummer

Seems the fix was a flop. Should we bother with the huge effort to make a legit time for this event this week or not?
    ​​

Same question.

Also, the best fix would have been to replace the activation spot with a NPC you have to click on to activate, right? Trying to disable pets/summons would give a noticeable disadvantage to some classes.
This discussion has been closed.