Server Merge FAQ

191011121315»

Comments

• alicewhitewood
    alicewhitewood Posts: 4 Arc User
    It needs to be addressed and fixed. If PWI has to merge/move people, at least give them a choice. It is even something I'd be willing to pay to do. If I can change my sex, my name, the name of my guild, I should be able to change servers. I understand the difficulty. But that doesn't make it impossible. Do it, PWI. Do it soon.

I do believe this is something they COULD do, but not by making an in-game item. Instead, it would be a service you would request and pay for, like getting your computer repaired. The data from your current server would be dumped into a file, moved to the destination server, then uploaded. Many server specific things would be lost (FL, BL, Faction, etc.) but all your paid for gear would then be there on the new server.

Uploads like this would have to happen during maintenance and because a technician would be involved, the cost would likely be high ... maybe $100 or more. If there were a huge number of people requesting the service, then they might invest in some kind of automated process to make the moves, but for just a handful of people willing to pay the fee, a semi-manual process would likely be enough.

Of course there are other ways to do this and there is always the question of them making mistakes, but if you are willing to pay for it, then I see no reason why they should not attempt to provide the service.
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    It needs to be addressed and fixed. If PWI has to merge/move people, at least give them a choice. It is even something I'd be willing to pay to do. If I can change my sex, my name, the name of my guild, I should be able to change servers. I understand the difficulty. But that doesn't make it impossible. Do it, PWI. Do it soon.

I do believe this is something they COULD do, but not by making an in-game item. Instead, it would be a service you would request and pay for, like getting your computer repaired. The data from your current server would be dumped into a file, moved to the destination server, then uploaded. Many server specific things would be lost (FL, BL, Faction, etc.) but all your paid for gear would then be there on the new server.

Uploads like this would have to happen during maintenance and because a technician would be involved, the cost would likely be high ... maybe $100 or more. If there were a huge number of people requesting the service, then they might invest in some kind of automated process to make the moves, but for just a handful of people willing to pay the fee, a semi-manual process would likely be enough.

Of course there are other ways to do this and there is always the question of them making mistakes, but if you are willing to pay for it, then I see no reason why they should not attempt to provide the service.

Why would anyone want to pay to move from one server to another when you got moved from a pretty much lagless location in the US to a lot more laggy place in the EU (for US players) because they decided, for some reason unknown to mankind, to merge a US server with the EU server.

To continue onward on your example "like getting your computer repaired"; this would mean that someone from a computer shop purposely without giving you a choice messes up your computer and then tells you to pay them to get it fixed, because they did something you never asked for.

And really, moving a character / account from 1 place to another is nothing near as hard as you say it is.
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• slighthand
    slighthand Posts: 5 Arc User
    All Archosaur players are noobs that is all. :p
  • spacelaser24
    spacelaser24 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Let's be honest here...

At first, I was excited about merging (this was before I knew we'd merge with EU). In part because I thought it would be fun to meet new players, have more players to enjoy the game with instead of the same-old, same-old. I mean, be honest with yourselves, the HL server was starting to lose people now and then. But we gained some too and we didn't have such bad lag.

But this server merge has made it difficult. Sure, we acted like children in the beginning. Now we've either quit the game or are sucking it up. It's true that a lot of us have put time and effort into our characters. I know I have on some of mine that I have no desire to suddenly abandon in favour of being on the right times. Yet, at the end of the day, I'd sooner quit then put my time and effort into a new one on a different server that matches my time zone.

I'm sure GMs have gotten the brunt of the complaints, having to deal with them and being yelled at for things that aren't under their control. They are GMs. Have we forgotten what that means? Game Master. They are merely there to offer guidance and be of service with in-game issues. Yes, the server merge has risen up some conflict and has it's own in-game issues.

But, if I think about it, not only because of the response I got from a ticket today... the PWI developers make the ultimate decision. We can appeal to the GMs all we want, but again, at the end of the day, the developers decide what happens, how it happens and when it happens. Perhaps we are contacting the wrong party. It's the developers we want to get a hold of. Instead of complaining and arguing over how the HL players are just whining and should just quit being children about it, we should rally. Petition the developers to make it possible for the HL players that choose to, to switch servers. Or make it possible to run duplicate events so we can work on our gear. Or make it possible that TW or NW runs at more convenient times that both parties can at least TRY to get to. At this rate, it's impossible. The only HL players that will stay (those who actually live on the EST zone) will be those that have odd schedules that match the server time and will be able to keep playing.

I know there was a reason behind the merger. PWI is, after all, a company. A business that has to run. But HL being the odd one out seemed as though not much thought went into the merger when it came to us. We're at the bottom of the list--literally. We're the only east server that got merged with the only EU server. I can see the desire to use the even numbers to your advantage...but we should have been merged with the other East server or we should be given the opportunity to transfer (or what was said before about it being a choice. Unanimously among the factions for which server they want to go to if you're looking for groups to make it easier).

If PWI developers have the power to stick us together with a server across the globe, they have the power to separate those that choose to go to the right server time. Guaranteed.

This "not possible" statement is hogwash unless you developers give us a VALID reason as to why it's suddenly "not possible" when you made the EU and HL merger possible. Some news on discussions about this instead of absolutely nothing would motivate people from HL to keep going. But really, HL got the short end of the stick in this entire endeavour. Was it a good decision for the company? Probably. Was it a good decision when it comes to customer service? No.

Look at your mission statement: Perfect World Entertainment provides top-tier online games with superior quality and convenience.

The last word is a lie at this point. Not to mention, your FB page and Twitter page from your "contact us" page is WAY outdated. Last updates on those was over a year ago--I'm hoping this is just a case of those web links not being updated with the Arc Game Engine.
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Let's be honest here...

At first, I was excited about merging (this was before I knew we'd merge with EU). In part because I thought it would be fun to meet new players, have more players to enjoy the game with instead of the same-old, same-old. I mean, be honest with yourselves, the HL server was starting to lose people now and then. But we gained some too and we didn't have such bad lag.

But this server merge has made it difficult. Sure, we acted like children in the beginning. Now we've either quit the game or are sucking it up. It's true that a lot of us have put time and effort into our characters. I know I have on some of mine that I have no desire to suddenly abandon in favour of being on the right times. Yet, at the end of the day, I'd sooner quit then put my time and effort into a new one on a different server that matches my time zone.

I'm sure GMs have gotten the brunt of the complaints, having to deal with them and being yelled at for things that aren't under their control. They are GMs. Have we forgotten what that means? Game Master. They are merely there to offer guidance and be of service with in-game issues. Yes, the server merge has risen up some conflict and has it's own in-game issues.

But, if I think about it, not only because of the response I got from a ticket today... the PWI developers make the ultimate decision. We can appeal to the GMs all we want, but again, at the end of the day, the developers decide what happens, how it happens and when it happens. Perhaps we are contacting the wrong party. It's the developers we want to get a hold of. Instead of complaining and arguing over how the HL players are just whining and should just quit being children about it, we should rally. Petition the developers to make it possible for the HL players that choose to, to switch servers. Or make it possible to run duplicate events so we can work on our gear. Or make it possible that TW or NW runs at more convenient times that both parties can at least TRY to get to. At this rate, it's impossible. The only HL players that will stay (those who actually live on the EST zone) will be those that have odd schedules that match the server time and will be able to keep playing.

I know there was a reason behind the merger. PWI is, after all, a company. A business that has to run. But HL being the odd one out seemed as though not much thought went into the merger when it came to us. We're at the bottom of the list--literally. We're the only east server that got merged with the only EU server. I can see the desire to use the even numbers to your advantage...but we should have been merged with the other East server or we should be given the opportunity to transfer (or what was said before about it being a choice. Unanimously among the factions for which server they want to go to if you're looking for groups to make it easier).

If PWI developers have the power to stick us together with a server across the globe, they have the power to separate those that choose to go to the right server time. Guaranteed.

This "not possible" statement is hogwash unless you developers give us a VALID reason as to why it's suddenly "not possible" when you made the EU and HL merger possible. Some news on discussions about this instead of absolutely nothing would motivate people from HL to keep going. But really, HL got the short end of the stick in this entire endeavour. Was it a good decision for the company? Probably. Was it a good decision when it comes to customer service? No.

Look at your mission statement: Perfect World Entertainment provides top-tier online games with superior quality and convenience.

The last word is a lie at this point. Not to mention, your FB page and Twitter page from your "contact us" page is WAY outdated. Last updates on those was over a year ago--I'm hoping this is just a case of those web links not being updated with the Arc Game Engine.

I have never, in all the years I have perused the forums and read posts, seem a more eloquent or logical statement in all my life. It actually almost brings a tear to my eye at how amazingly well thought out this point was...and how sad it is that NOTHING will happen from it despite how clearly intelligent and logical it is. Why? Because PWE literally gives no care for us players at this point and is LITERALLY doing everything they can to just milk us. You really hit the nail on the head here. I wish I could like comments because this one deserves TONS.

Edit: I just noticed this was your first post on this account. I don't know who you are and it doesn't matter. That is one heck of a way to start off your forum career, assuming you wish to continue it.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • konataizumichan
    konataizumichan Posts: 94 Arc User
    I've said it before and I'm sure others have too... I'll never understand why they didn't just merge HL and LC. That would have been a lot easier on everyone involved. Still pvp, more reasonable event times... I feel for the HL people, you guys and gals really got the worst deal of all. It's not enough, but you have my sympathy. Hope something works out in the future.
  • zoldickun
    zoldickun Posts: 197 Arc User
    I'll never understand why they didn't just merge HL and LC.

Because they probably considered that the server would not be populated enough for their current standards. And for the same reason they probably think that having PVE servers is more attractive than PVP ones.
    I'm not saying this is a good thing, especially because of the time-zones (they should have merged HL with other EC time-zone servers and allow people from all servers who want to go on EU to do it and this might have been OK refarding population) but they certainly not chose the servers randomly.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    zoldickun wrote: »
    I'll never understand why they didn't just merge HL and LC.

Because they probably considered that the server would not be populated enough for their current standards. And for the same reason they probably think that having PVE servers is more attractive than PVP ones.
    I'm not saying this is a good thing, especially because of the time-zones (they should have merged HL with other EC time-zone servers and allow people from all servers who want to go on EU to do it and this might have been OK refarding population) but they certainly not chose the servers randomly.
    Logically thinking, they would have merged the smallest server into the largest. Then the next smallest into the next largest, ect. Which would create a balance overall in population.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • konataizumichan
    No no I made up my mind already, I'll NEVER understand it. Alright jokes aside...

Granted there are many different paths of logic one could follow, and no doubt that this one was determined best for making PWE more money, somehow. But it's pants-on-head **** from a service provider standpoint imo. I guarantee if you had polled the servers pre-merge on whether they wanted to combine pve and pvp, more than 50% would have said no. What's more important, making a quick buck or long-term customer satisfaction? It all depends on how long you want to be in business. I know this is nothing new in regards to PWE but I have to bring it up anyway as it goes to my point.

You go to McDonald's and ask for a cheeseburger with no pickles, but they put pickles on it, so you bring it to the attention of an employee and what happens? You get another cheeseburger made the way you asked for it at no charge. They don't give you a scratch off lottery ticket and say sorry. They don't give you a phone number for an automated service to file a complaint and say they're looking into it, they fix the problem right there on the spot.

They also poll the masses to find out things like "What old menu item would you like to see us bring back?" and voila we get the McRib for a few months. Obviously they determined that the McRib wasn't making enough profit to keep it on the menu, but because they care about keeping their customers happy, they bring it back for a few months anyway. But we've never have this standard level of service in PW, why is that? How long do you think McDonald's would have stayed in business if they changed their upper management and menu AND prices every 3 months?

I play another f2p mmorpg that has thrived for 11 years now. There's a cash shop but it's handled completely differently. There are still major expansions, new mechanics, and promos designed to bring old players back, among other things. There's still a bi-weekly 15 minute maintenance, and obviously it's still a profitable title. In any case, there's a reason why it's survived for 11 years. You'd think PWE would follow examples like this if they had similar goals in mind.

Alright that was my morning rant, off to work now ^^
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    No no I made up my mind already, I'll NEVER understand it. Alright jokes aside...

Granted there are many different paths of logic one could follow, and no doubt that this one was determined best for making PWE more money, somehow. But it's pants-on-head **** from a service provider standpoint imo. I guarantee if you had polled the servers pre-merge on whether they wanted to combine pve and pvp, more than 50% would have said no. What's more important, making a quick buck or long-term customer satisfaction? It all depends on how long you want to be in business. I know this is nothing new in regards to PWE but I have to bring it up anyway as it goes to my point.

You go to McDonald's and ask for a cheeseburger with no pickles, but they put pickles on it, so you bring it to the attention of an employee and what happens? You get another cheeseburger made the way you asked for it at no charge. They don't give you a scratch off lottery ticket and say sorry. They don't give you a phone number for an automated service to file a complaint and say they're looking into it, they fix the problem right there on the spot.

They also poll the masses to find out things like "What old menu item would you like to see us bring back?" and voila we get the McRib for a few months. Obviously they determined that the McRib wasn't making enough profit to keep it on the menu, but because they care about keeping their customers happy, they bring it back for a few months anyway. But we've never have this standard level of service in PW, why is that? How long do you think McDonald's would have stayed in business if they changed their upper management and menu AND prices every 3 months?

I play another f2p mmorpg that has thrived for 11 years now. There's a cash shop but it's handled completely differently. There are still major expansions, new mechanics, and promos designed to bring old players back, among other things. There's still a bi-weekly 15 minute maintenance, and obviously it's still a profitable title. In any case, there's a reason why it's survived for 11 years. You'd think PWE would follow examples like this if they had similar goals in mind.

Alright that was my morning rant, off to work now ^^

from a service provider standpoint having a moderate number of players on each server makes the most sense. Merging largest server with largest server would create huge lag and service issues. We already feel it in busy areas on tt as it is. I cant imagine if it were even worse. And i have a really great computer.

Im not against the pvp players, i agree they got shafted, but im assuming pwe saw this as the lesser of two evils. Ie: provide a server that people can play on as they choose rather than one that forces you to be pvp or pve and possibly deal with insanely overloaded servers to boot.
  • ttiinnkk
    ttiinnkk Posts: 14 Arc User
    With the time Change and all they should make a way to take our toons to a more time fitting server.. this is ridiculous. i have lost all my friends they quit and you cant understand a thing anyones saying. I want to play but the time zone makes it impossiable. :( i dont want to have to say bubye to pwi but i dont want to redo my main either.. thats not right nor is it fair. C'mon PWI fix this some how!
  • bagoat
    bagoat Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Pretty much everything you've read is why I quit playing Perfect World. Not because of WHAT they complained about but that they complained.
    It is also why I HIGHLY recommend that new players NEVER visit this game's forum. If you want information, visit their wiki page but NEVER come to their forum.
    All they do here is complain. The game is great. I had many years of enjoyment from it. Sadly, every time I came to forum looking for help or info on new additions I saw nothing but the vocal minority crying about stuff that never affected me in the least.

TL;Dr only join this game if you don't mind a community that sucks :(
  • konataizumichan
    bagoat wrote: »
    Pretty much everything you've read is why I quit playing Perfect World. Not because of WHAT they complained about but that they complained.
    It is also why I HIGHLY recommend that new players NEVER visit this game's forum. If you want information, visit their wiki page but NEVER come to their forum.
    All they do here is complain. The game is great. I had many years of enjoyment from it. Sadly, every time I came to forum looking for help or info on new additions I saw nothing but the vocal minority crying about stuff that never affected me in the least.

TL;Dr only join this game if you don't mind a community that sucks :(

> game is great
    > quits game because minority complains on public forums
    > still visits said forums to complain about complainers complaining
    > never read a stickied guide on new classes or content
    > being this ironic

Nice troll bro. Bet you've also never read any reviews outside this forum from literally hundreds of ex and current PWI employees complaining about the same lack of consistency and communication that the players have been complaining about here for ages?

• rocky19
    rocky19 Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Found this on PWI FB - captur17.jpg

And they merged North American server with EU with the server location being EU too, I don't know how to feel about this company lol
    IGN : Seek_NK B)
    Server: DawnGlory
    My Gear
    YouTube channel
    Mayhem Forum
  • mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    rocky19 wrote: »
    Found this on PWI FB - [

And they merged North American server with EU with the server location being EU too, I don't know how to feel about this company lol

true americans woudl never play on an eu server, so that doesnt count, they have the options to charge thousands and remake their char on other server, duh!
    ./s
  • ezoka
    ezoka Posts: 1 Arc User
    Why is this happening O.o ?
    If it's because the number of players is diminishing, I always said to reform pwi to not rely 100% on cash shop and allow more accessible ways for orbs and charms....
  • demonking667
    demonking667 Posts: 1 New User
    can someone please answer these 2 questions. ive been searching and searching and i keep coming up with nothing and its literally driving me insane. is it possibble to use 1 main character on different servers(us east/west)? == for instance, say i create a character on the "us east" server, can i use that very exact character on the "us west" server?

and this is my biggest frustration. whats the difference between PWI and "EpicPW"??? seeing stuff on google regarding "EpicPW" is confusing the hell outta me and leading me to consider the possibility that PWI:Eclipse is the wrong game or somethiing. if someone could please clear the confusion on this, i would be extremely greatul
  • mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User

can someone please answer these 2 questions. ive been searching and searching and i keep coming up with nothing and its literally driving me insane. is it possibble to use 1 main character on different servers(us east/west)? == for instance, say i create a character on the "us east" server, can i use that very exact character on the "us west" server?

and this is my biggest frustration. whats the difference between PWI and "EpicPW"??? seeing stuff on google regarding "EpicPW" is confusing the hell outta me and leading me to consider the possibility that PWI:Eclipse is the wrong game or somethiing. if someone could please clear the confusion on this, i would be extremely greatul

takes about 2 minutes to check it yourself: no, your character is only on the server where its created, no choice of transfer

your 2nd point: you didnt search hard when literally the search engine description and the "about" info states its a private server
  • elyora2
    elyora2 Posts: 195 Arc User
    Dat necro and offtopic doe.
    But yea what Mosz said.​​
This discussion has been closed.