PWI Maintenance Discussion 7/14/15 COMPLETE

surtr
surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
Hi all,

Tonight's maintenance will be from 11pm to 2am PDT. There is no patch tonight.

Maintenance question: Do you consider Pluto a planet?
==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

Post edited by surtr on

Comments

• dat1guyy
    dat1guyy Posts: 119 Arc User
    Yes. You didn't ask why or to explain so that is my answer. Yes.
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    Pluto was never a planet. It's one of the larger (and now that New Horizons has come back with more accurate measurements probably the largest) Kuiper Belt Objects. The only reason it was thought of as a planet was due to a string of coincidences around its discovery. Astronomers of the time had theorized the existence of a 9th "Planet X" to explain irregularities in Neptune's orbit. The discovery of Pluto seemed to fill the role and Pluto's mass was calculated to be around that of Earth. This was despite its disc being unresolvable in telescopes of the time. Later measurements of its albedo in the 1970s determined it was unusually bright and its mass was reduced further to just 1% the mass of earth. The discovery of Pluto's companion Charon allowed for a more accurate reading of its gravity bringing the estimate of its mass down to 0.2% that of Earth. Meanwhile more accurate measurements of Neptune by Voyager 2 in the late 80s removed the need of a Planet X altogether. In the early 2000s we finally started finding more and more of the Kuiper Belt Objects and some, such as Eris, were as big as Pluto. By that time it was painfully clear Pluto was not a planet and its initial status was way off. Now it certainly was a miracle Pluto was discovered so many decades before the rest of its family but unlikely things do happen from time to time.

Between the time it was discovered in 1930 and the time it was demoted to the status of 'dwarf planet' in 2006 Pluto had not even completed 1/3 of a revolution around the sun. That just goes to show that it's never too late to fix a mistake.
    ​​
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Everyone knows Pluto is a dog dah...

6976_Pluto_Dog_Standup_743.png

giphy.gif

• daymond
    daymond Posts: 273 Arc User
    Pluto is obviously a planet. Need I say more?
    e953871ce624e296cc50e84e0543a00c.jpg
    alFcxeg.png
    www.Kniraven.com | Youtube.com/Kniraven | Twitch.TV/Kniraven | Facebook.com/Kniraven
  • zentfamily
    zentfamily Posts: 234 Arc User
    Planet or not what really matters is if there's wi-fi.
    ZentVedr - Retired at last. Or am I?
  • patsybanger
    patsybanger Posts: 74 Arc User
    You just opened the door for 1000 Uranus jokes
  • krian090590
    krian090590 Posts: 235 Arc User
    Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto
    My Very Eccentric Mother Just Show Us Nine Planets.
    without pluto there is just nine of some random thing we dont know, so yes Pluto is a planet
    Etherblade Server
    due to mishaps in my past few years in game, I do NOT accept random invites (faction/squad/friend no randoms period) NOR will I give buffs (cleric/barb/sin/exp if i have it) to random people because they ask. If I DO give buffs to a random person, it's because of a random whim (much like the red detonator button sitting at my desk that i will one day push at a random whim)
    Also do NOT look at my gear and then proceed to pm me asking to buy my gear or for a loan of coin. It's just plain rude.
    I have too many toons to name, but if you play on Etherblade server and you come across a toon that acts this way, or if the world is suddenly destroyed, it was probably me.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    No. Pluto is not a planet. Fight the Powah!

Edit: On a more serious note, I remain unconvinced that Pluto fails to clear the last criteria added which knocks it out of contention for being a planet. Which is the "clear the neighborhood," definition. Pluto meets the other two which is orbits the sun and looks round. Jupiter hasn't cleared it's area, hell Neptune fails to clear Pluto out of it's orbital path.

In addition, the resolution that demoted Pluto was done by a vote by a tiny group of astronomers, that made up of less than 4% of the voting body that decides these resolutions. It wasn't even lack of interest, the scheduling of the vote was poor and caused a lot of scheduling conflicts.

I became convinced after I read this article, which seemed to make a fair case. http://www.space.com/29571-why-pluto-is-a-planet-and-eris-is-too.html

OFC I'm just a lay person, so I'm not gonna like fight for it. Better minds than I are fighting over it.
    ​​
    Post edited by ovenusarmanio on

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    So no patch. We have an event coming up for Sparkling crystals. The Sparkling Treasure Trove we were given via a code for the event didn't reset. Anyone that has already exchanged as much as they can for some of the rewards won't be able to get much of anything for the Smoke Over Arch event. How are you going to address this? http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1195230/sparkling-treasure-trove
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • superbiatch
    superbiatch Posts: 7 Arc User
    Pluto will always be a planet.
    2qdzpes.jpg

It's called Karma and is pronounced "Haha F You"
  • skydiverlynxx
    skydiverlynxx Posts: 13 Arc User
    Pluto is not a planet, but it will be when it grow up, it's a baby planet :3
  • jjbrendan
    jjbrendan Posts: 51 Arc User
    I light of resent observation it may be upgraded again but then of course am only guessing.
  • ellany
    ellany Posts: 35 Arc User
    Pluto (minor-planet designation: 134340 Pluto) is a dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt
  • cherybomb8
    cherybomb8 Posts: 28 Arc User
    Well it was when we were taught the planet song in school in the 90's. So for many people, it's probably going to be hard to forget that no matter what. But I'm not resistant to change. If they're saying it doesn't qualify, then I guess it's not one. Not like I can go have a look myself :smiley:
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    It doesn't matter because it's just a human declaration of something in space.
    For all we know there's a different sentient, or any other kind of being out there, that calls what we call earth a steaming pile of ****.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• gomiamiheat
    gomiamiheat Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Another cheesy useless question on top of a 2 hour maint announcement to switch a couple shop items and....that's it? I'd love to sit here and act like everything is peaches and roses but we are still missing 4 S card packs we were supposedly supposed to get and never did. Harshlands and the other servers have been going down randomly at least a few times a day or having lag in the 1k's the last week or two. No mention or compensation for that lost time. Ridiculously long maint times not to mention about a day wait for some people to even download the dang game. Lacking fun updates from pwich that you guys take years to get caught up on so we sit around with the same ole same ole and all the maxed people have nothing to do. You never keep your promises EVER on giveaways there's always some mess up and then you guys always claim it was an evil ROGUE GM that had no clue what he was doing right!! So that's 2 10 star orbs, a few dreamchaser packs and 4 s cards packs you guys owe me in the time i've played because every one of those events got messed up and you guys just buried it and acted like it didn't happen. The people are the only ones that keep me on this game, and arc customer service SOMETIMES isn't that bad. All the rest of you 1/10 we need new people running this game. Rant over.
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 626 Arc User
    surtr wrote: »
    Maintenance question: Do you consider Pluto a planet?

Nah, Pluto as a dwarf-planet (according to the IAU definition) because it's diameter. According to the images we recieved from New Horizons satellite it would be a great place to setup some servers: no need to use server cooling fans B)

• romonster
    romonster Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2015

Nah, Pluto as a dwarf-planet (according to the IAU definition) because it's diameter. According to the images we recieved from New Horizons satellite it would be a great place to setup some servers: no need to use server cooling fans B)
    Yeah, but there might be a little problem with lag...
  • flash1995
    flash1995 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Up to my knowledge, Yes Pluto is a planet. Don't throw that little boy from our system. Say Welcome to that lil friend :blush: LET it RISE :smiley:

Are the servers still down? :weary:
  • kushefy
    kushefy Posts: 3 Arc User
    i say jupiter is not a planet due to the fact its a giant ball of gas or whatever take jupiter out put pluto in yeah baby!!!! lol
  • babycham63
    babycham63 Posts: 7 Arc User
    Are the servers still down?
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    Just a heads up, due to some technical issues on the back end, maintenance will be a little bit longer tonight. Hopefully we should still be open by 2:30, but I will let you know when I have more information.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    surtr wrote: »
    Just a heads up, due to some technical issues on the back end, maintenance will be a little bit longer tonight. Hopefully we should still be open by 2:30, but I will let you know when I have more information.
    #Rollback2015

rip in peace.
    ​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• Sirkura
    Sirkura Posts: 21 Arc User
    maybe they see how stupid it is to include a 9m per character reward >.> reward is now 1 hyperstone.
    kkmmsig.jpg
  • babycham63
    babycham63 Posts: 7 Arc User
    9m would come in handy for me so im all for it
  • aphrodita
    aphrodita Posts: 228 Arc User
    surtr, please be that one reasonable guy in the office that rethinks the 10 mil big note login reward :*
  • blueman33
    blueman33 Posts: 18 Arc User
    pluto its not a planet but semi planet :p

WOW ROLL BACK
  • unluckygecko
    unluckygecko Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    aphrodita wrote: »
    surtr, please be that one reasonable guy in the office that rethinks the 10 mil big note login reward :*

I 2nd this, change the big note for 5-day log-in reward to something ells. 1 Demon/Sage card for 50 Event Gold for example, it would be way better. Please don't **** up our economy again! @surtr @yetweallfalldown tiger-13.gif​​
  • denniz
    denniz Posts: 1 Arc User
    yes... that's it...
  • smallfigure
    smallfigure Posts: 16 Arc User
    please, we new player need the big notes. we cant make any coin with our grind. most drops price 1. :'(