test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    stagger38 wrote: »
    Changes I would like to see made to the Protector tree feats. Aims to make a non-DPS/lifesteal GF viable in PvE and PvP. Allows survival and party buff builds. Based on the first PTS iteration of stamina and block, and stays close to the original feats. Might need adjustment if the planned stamina increase occurs.

Rank 1: Armor of Bahamut: Return 2/4/6/8/10% of damage received while blocking to the attacker (before Damage Resistance is applied).

Example: Blocking a 10k hit would return 1k to the attacker. Against an attacker with 35% DR, the final damage would be 650.

Rank 1: Plate Agility: Increase Deflect Chance by 2/4/6/8/10%.

Rank 2: Shield Defense: Gain 2/4/6/8/10 AC, and increase stamina duration by 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8/1 second.

Rank 2 (Iron Vanguard): Improved Reaction: Ferocious Reaction heals an additional 2/4/6/8/10%, and its cooldown is reduced by 20/40/60/80/100 seconds.

Rank 2 (Swordmaster): Staying Power: Weapon Master's Strike reduces Defense by 2/4/6/8/10% for 3 seconds (non-stacking), and regenerates 0.5/1/1.5/2/2.5% stamina for each target hit.

Example: Hitting 3 targets would regenerate 7.5% stamina, and each target's damage resistance is reduced by 5% for 3 seconds.

Rank 3: Shieldmaster: Increase Damage Resistance while blocking by 1/2/3/4/5%, and increase stamina duration by 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8/1 second.

Rank 3: Brawling Warrior: Knight's Valor increases Damage Resistance by 1/2/3/4/5% for you and your party, and Enforced Threat deals 4/8/12/16/20% more damage and 20/40/60/80/100% more threat.

Rank 4: Balanced Shield Fighter: Your Shield Slam and Stab deal 4/8/12/16/20% more damage, and stamina duration is increased by 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8/1 second.

Rank 4: Overwhelming Impact: Your Encounter powers reduce Damage Resistance by 1/2/3/4/5% for 5 seconds (non-stacking), and generate 4/8/12/16/20% more threat.

Rank 5: Iron Guard: When hit, reduce the attacker's damage by 2% for 30 seconds and gain 1 stack of Fortitude. Maximum 10% damage reduction. At 15 stacks of Fortitude, heal for 10% of your missing Hit Points. May only heal once every 5 seconds.

A huge improvement to the Protector feats. Plenty of party and combo utility. Could create some diversity in GF builds, and makes the class far more interesting to play and fight against.
    i agree with the buff to plate agility
    edited June 2014
    In comparison to what gwf can now do, our **** ability sucks and it does seem that we will forever be beneath gwf. The guard meter we have now should remain the same. Healers healed me just find in pvp and pve.
  • shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think it is a nice idea, to buff the shield and make us a walking sing. Problem is, its still nowhere as good as a cw, even with their nerfed sing and nerfed dps. Because even if it worked, even if we had the "tankiness" to do it, we still don't do nearly the damage required. Even if we were an almost immortal tank, how would you do CN without wizards killing the adds on draco? And don't flame by "it could be done by x-y-z". "Could be done" is NOT BALANCE. Balance is that either way is equally viable. And us as a tanky, walking sing with no DPS is not balance. Maybe if you made it so we as a tank could replace a DC, meaning we are immortal and have all the agro so no healing is needed, then maybe. Increase our buffs/debuffs, etc. But we all know that isn't going to happen. Crush stated he wanted to make it so we could be healed better... that is the very first problem.

Now maybe mod4 is much tougher, where they think you are going to need a DC and a tank. Problem you will have will be just like all other MMO's. If you make the mobs hit so hard you need debuffing+tank+healer, in order to make it actually work you need to make it hit so hard that only with that combo you can beat it. In order to do that, you need to have it be on the ragged edge, so that a geared tank can do it, but a geared non-tank can't. Well guess what, now a non-geared tank can't do it.

Compounding this is that would only be for mod4. All existing content will probably stay as is. And tanking is useless in that content. You can't taunt aoe's. At best you can face the direction a dragon faces, or help group up adds. You still are going to need a ton of dps to do most of it, effectively at least. Swordmaster buff's sound ok, and if they actually do put us in the range of a GWF, cool... but i doubt it.

*EDIT*
    I forgot. We still have no Tab function. Ya, extended mark, 8% DR. We are the only class that gets such a weak Tab. Heck, our tab is so weak,it is a by product, in aoe form no less, of an encounter and an AT-WILL. Our class tab is on the encounters and at-wills of another class! I know its "perma-mark", but its so weak that especially with your other marks going that it isn't noticeable or worth using most of the time. Can you imagine a GWF not using unstoppable? A CW not using their 4th, buffed encounter?

Also, before you could rush or e-threat and put up your shield, the marks would stay as you haven't been damaged. Haven't made it to test server yet, but i bet that is no longer the case, since they are doing damage to you.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The more and more I think about it, the more I agree with AntMonster in that the GF should take a few steps TOWARDS the direction of unlimited Block.

Reason: Block ISNT 100% now its only 80% multiplier. You cant perform any action during block like encounters or at wills. There are ways to force a GF out of block. GFs becomes more immobile while blocking.

Im not saying make it perma block, what I do think should happen though - contrary to previous posts, is to give block a massive stamina pool to gather from - like 15 seconds of duration base. Then, have this stamina pool refill itself about every 5-8 seconds fully. So ROUGHLY it takes 1 second out of block to gain about 2 seconds of block time.

I would then remove the feat that grants extra DR based on missing block or w.e that feat is - maybe add that into the capstone feat.

I think this would be a competitive GF as now they can block for very long periods of time, but hey! it doesnt mitigate ALL damage just most of it. Basically makes a GF a defensive force to be reckoned with.

ALSO - ill say this again, with the new block meter Reckless Attacker for Conqs needs a rework.
    ALSO - I STILL really believe GFs should get critical strike chance added to DEX and ARP should be moved to CON.
  • shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And bump up the weapon damage.
  • tripurantakatripurantaka Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    General
    • Block: Now consumes stamina while active. Reduces incoming damage by 80% while active.
    • Block: Now activates more quickly and has a .25 second cooldown after being released (down from .5 seconds)

This called powerfully my attention in the preview server while testing it. What this means in practice is that the blocking ability of Guardian Fighter has been greatly diminished in effectivity, impairing the class in a global sense.

With these changes, Blocking 80% incoming damage while active is much, really much worse than how it behaves right now (in the normal server, without these changes), and taking 20% damage while blocking the attacks of a number of enemies, kills you very quickly.

Additionally, the Guardmeter consuming stamina while active, means that a Guardian Fighter can't hold his shield for more than 2 seconds (even if you are at a Shrine, or any other place without enemies or hazards), which in combat means that one can't use it in a preventive manner, as has been normal all the time. On the other hand, being unable to hold a shield for more than 2 seconds, consuming all stamina, feels like if the character is a weakling, or the shield is really, really weighty, or maybe both things at the same time . . .

In sum, these changes make Guardian Fighter blocking ability significantly harder to use and much less effective. I wonder how I'm going to keep playing this class after the implementation. FWIW, it goes without saying that I'd wish the developers revamp or discard such changes, because this sort of things are going to destroy the Guardian Fighter class, and the .25 cooldown in the shield after activating it does very, very little or almost nothing to compensate this extreme weakening in the shield/blocking ability.

I have been playing NWO for a year now, since it's release. And I'm speaking as a PvE player, I almost never do PvP. Well, this is my view and feedback, no offense intended for anyone.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    We are making a change to the shift powers for all classes to make them more responsive and improve player survivability as long as you can react. Being able to shift out of encounters and dailies will make reacting a much more important factor in high end PVE and PVP combat.

Guardian Fighter: Block: Block can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Great Weapon Fighter: Sprint: Sprint can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Devoted Cleric: Dodge: Dodge can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Trickster Rogue: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Hunter Ranger: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Control Wizard: Teleport: Teleport can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.

This change can have some serious impacts on balance, so when it reaches Preview we would like players to test it as much as possible, but we believe that players should not be punished for attempting to cast powers before an area is threatened. This change should alleviate much of that, as well as improving interactions for all the shift mechanics.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
  • lisaxxiilisaxxii Member Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    We are making a change to the shift powers for all classes to make them more responsive and improve player survivability as long as you can react. Being able to shift out of encounters and dailies will make reacting a much more important factor in high end PVE and PVP combat.

Guardian Fighter: Block: Block can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Great Weapon Fighter: Sprint: Sprint can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Devoted Cleric: Dodge: Dodge can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Trickster Rogue: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Hunter Ranger: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Control Wizard: Teleport: Teleport can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.

This change can have some serious impacts on balance, so when it reaches Preview we would like players to test it as much as possible, but we believe that players should not be punished for attempting to cast powers before an area is threatened. This change should alleviate much of that, as well as improving interactions for all the shift mechanics.

Wow... Did NOT see that coming! Heh, that might do it for GF! Really good idea man, didn't even cross my mind!

As for the other classes, I can see it working great for some and being pretty OP for others. There are ALOT of moving parts here, defiantly cannot give my opinion until I get to try it out.

Is this an all class or none type of thing or will you be open to removing/modifying it for some classes and keeping/ modifying for others after testing and feedback?
    Enemy Team
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    lisaxxii wrote: »
    Wow... Did NOT see that coming! Heh, that might do it for GF! Really good idea man, didn't even cross my mind!

As for the other classes, I can see it working great for some and being pretty OP for others. There are ALOT of moving parts here, defiantly cannot give my opinion until I get to try it out.

Is this an all class or none type of thing or will you be open to removing/modifying it for some classes and keeping/ modifying for others after testing and feedback?

While I can technically control this on a per class basis I would like to keep parity unless something is TOTALLY broken.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That looks like a very useful change for all classes, I think we've been all there, we use a skill and right after that the monster casts a powerful attack and we can't get to evade/block in time.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited June 2014
    While I can technically control this on a per class basis I would like to keep parity unless something is TOTALLY broken.
    Rangers can spam thier shift ability the easiest. I am so skeptical about this
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Guardian Fighter: Block: Block can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive. er

THIS. This is the one, and only single reason why I have rolled TWO of every class but not one Guardian Fighter; the blocking mechanic just plain sucks. This "fix", "modification", "improvement", whatever you want to call it may be just the very thing that gets me interested in this one single class (out of all of them available) that I never liked playing. And I am specifically referring to the Guardian Fighter (not so much the other classes, though it'll be appreciated there, too.)

Really, thank you for this.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Just to be clear when you say "interupt" you mean cancel animations? *puppy dog eyes*

No more being stuck in Guardian Fighter At-Will animations while trying to raise or lower my shield?! :D
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The new interrupt is good but i have tried the test server and the new blocking is very very bad please don't change it to this, it lasts so short and even if it lasted 10x as long it would still be bad because it shouldn't be on a timer or otherwise long ranged attackers in pvp and perma rogues will find us so easy to kill. Also why do we now take dmg while blocking ? i tested this and i found it was better to just not even use my shield and try to outrun/dodge enemy attacks so now we are a guardian fighter without a shield....

The hp increase is amazing just the thing i was waiting for but even if our hp was 100000 it would not make up for the new shield change... our shield worked perfect before it just needed to be stronger and faster to use.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    The new interrupt is good but i have tried the test server and the new blocking is very very bad please don't change it to this, it lasts so short and even if it lasted 10x as long it would still be bad because it shouldn't be on a timer or otherwise long ranged attackers in pvp and perma rogues will find us so easy to kill. Also why do we now take dmg while blocking ? i tested this and i found it was better to just not even use my shield and try to outrun/dodge enemy attacks so now we are a guardian fighter without a shield....

The hp increase is amazing just the thing i was waiting for but even if our hp was 100000 it would not make up for the new shield change... our shield worked perfect before it just needed to be stronger and faster to use.

This is why, combined with the 80% change as well, the stamina amount needs to be ATLEAST doubled, and the recharge time needs to also be ATLEAST cut in half....

I think that would do it TBH... see my previous posts about details
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014

And wouldn't that be too much for GWFs?, I mean they run pretty fast and in top of that they will be CC inmune?, god, it will be even harder to kill them...
  • zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Interrupt meaning my power will go on cooldown but the animation won't go through?

lets take for example Lunging strike - if my LS got interrupted by one of the abilities will i still lunged or it will cancel it and let me stay at the place i casted it while my power is now on cooldown?
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Terrifying Impact can be cancelled halfway without losing AP using Guard to show a red line indicator and animation to confuse other players
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Game balance needs to trump real life logic though. If GF is supposed to be the tankiest class and the one to stand there and take the hits, they need at least as good of a Shift power as everyone else.

I haven't read the entire thread and so don't know if this has been raised, but how will the new stamina mechanic interact with loot rolls? It's always been annoying to have your character raise their shield to choose need or greed, but at this point it seems like it's going to be much worse if it happens in combat. (It would be nice if looting were disabled in combat, so long as the loot didn't go away on a timer)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    This is why, combined with the 80% change as well, the stamina amount needs to be ATLEAST doubled, and the recharge time needs to also be ATLEAST cut in half....

I think that would do it TBH... see my previous posts about details

Even if stamina is doubled or tripled whatever it wont be enough, im a pvp player and holding my shield up while capping a node is very important against long ranged attackers or perma rogues now we will have to keep it lowered just so we dont waste the stamina and that will give everyone a chance to catch us off guard -.- and the 80% dmg thing is just so bad i dont even get why its being added, the gf is already terrible now we are getting a very big decrease in our ability to defend ourselfs.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    General

Stats
    • Strength: Now provides Stamina Regen rather than Guard Meter.
    • Constitution: Each point of Constitution increases max HP by 4% (up from 2%).

I always wished we could re-roll base stats, especially having created my chars in the early daze, and not knowing the actual weight of the rolls (as I am sure many others can echo.)

But I built my GF for DPS way back when it actually worked as such, and so put very little into 'tanking' stats.. I didn't see that 2% HP boost per point of CON as very significant.

Now, if these changes go live, I'd like to rebuild as an actual tank.. but I can see I will be kill-fodder with such a low CON.

This proposed stat change has a drastic effect. It makes me wish all the more to be able to reroll my base stats. I'd pay cash.. otherwise, I won't be able to play this GF at all, as she still won't have enough dps, and she still won't be able to tank.

Please consider it?
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • brynicstormbornbrynicstormborn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2014
    Suggestion: if keeping block at 80%, make it to where we can only take a maximum of 20% of our life in a single hit while blocking. This follows the original block mechanic and will help GFs be better able to block extremely large hits like those from the black ice beholder. It should make no difference in most pve scenarios and little in pvp.
    - B
    edited June 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    Even if stamina is doubled or tripled whatever it wont be enough, im a pvp player and holding my shield up while capping a node is very important against long ranged attackers or perma rogues now we will have to keep it lowered just so we dont waste the stamina and that will give everyone a chance to catch us off guard -.- and the 80% dmg thing is just so bad i dont even get why its being added, the gf is already terrible now we are getting a very big decrease in our ability to defend ourselfs.

I totally get that, I have played a GF since OB my friend. I hate to break it to you this way, but if your capping a node as ANY class and have a ranged character off point, your pretty much doomed.

If the stamina meter was tripled, you actually could hide behind your shield and only take 10% damage almost the entire time it takes to cap the node- just FYI..

Thats the idea I would like to see them move towards:

- 80% block. Ok.
    - Stamina meter. Ok.
    - Slow run speed while blocking. Ok.
    - Needs to have a base duration of like 10 seconds ATLEAST.
    - Need to have a 100-200% INCREASE in regeneration.
    edited June 2014
    Suggestion: if keeping block at 80%, make it to where we can only take a maximum of 20% of our life in a single hit while blocking. This follows the original block mechanic and will help GFs be better able to block extremely large hits like those from the black ice beholder. It should make no difference in most pve scenarios and little in pvp.
    - B

I dont think this is needed IMO... But I guess thats fine if they want to add it. I think currently SOME attacks are bugged and not respecting the block ATM - like shocking is bypassing it.

Now with CON at 4% its pretty easy in PVE to have 44k+ HP. So In order to deal 20% of your life, after 80% block.

Thats a 44k hit. Also - does it go through your own DR? If not, that would be a 88k hit to cut down 20% HP.... Just saying...
  • zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    I totally get that, I have played a GF since OB my friend. I hate to break it to you this way, but if your capping a node as ANY class and have a ranged character off point, your pretty much doomed.

If the stamina meter was tripled, you actually could hide behind your shield and only take 10% damage almost the entire time it takes to cap the node- just FYI..

Thats the idea I would like to see them move towards:

- 80% block. Ok. -- i'm okay with this as long as the math will be like Block 80% --> normal DR applies --> tenacity if PVP, if not then trash suggestion
    - Stamina meter. Ok. -- as long as the meter will start to deplete once an attack hits our shield if it continues to deplete just by raising our shield then heck disregard this change
    - Slow run speed while blocking. Ok.
    - Needs to have a base duration of like 10 seconds ATLEAST.
    - Need to have a 100-200% INCREASE in regeneration.

- 80% block. Ok. -- i'm okay with this as long as the math will be like Block 80% --> normal DR applies --> tenacity if PVP, if not then trash suggestion
    - Stamina meter. Ok. -- as long as the meter will start to deplete once an attack hits our shield if it continues to deplete just by raising our shield then heck disregard this change
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My conqueror is going to lose dps, with every second that i am holding up the shield. This should be looked into, because we sacrifice a huge amount of survivability in order to be able dish out mediocre damage, that other classes can achieve by going full tank-spec. (this in itself used to be terrible already, but not gamebreaking). Now with a constantly depleting guard meter, as i pointed out before already, not only will we be taking tons of damage from classes who have a higher survivability than us (as in time buying skills, aka. dodge, sprint, stealth, slide, teleport, etc.) but also will they be kiting us until our guard is gone entirely. As a result we will be left without our guard and a hp pool-leftover that most classes can wipe out in 1 maybe 2 hits. Is this balanced? I don't really think so.

---

Like i mentioned it before, conquerors or GF's in general, should not have their guard depleting by just holding up a shield. The 20% damage going through is already enough of a nerf for PvP aswell as PvE... BUT in all honesty, the depletion aspect kills PvP for us GF almost entirely. Please consider applying some small changes.

---

#Tested it again, i lose roughly ~1200 power each second. (Ouchie!) Do the other classes have similar features? If this is working as intended, then all other classes should have this added to their shift powers.

---

Joke aside, this needs to be fixed. I cannot see myself being effective in PvP anymore if this really makes it to live.

edited June 2014
    Bug
    If you use terrifying impact close to an object like a wall or pillar, or you use it when a singularity is active. The terrifying impact does not hit the targets or prone them.
    edited June 2014
    zhaofuo wrote: »

This is my understanding in how it works. So REALLY in pvp your only taking about 8% damage while blocking (.80 * .5 * .2 = .08)

Also fine with this as well, making block ONLY tick down when were pulled into combat - might be the easiest way to do it.
    edited June 2014
    ---

Like i mentioned it before, conquerors or GF's in general, should not have their guard depleting by just holding up a shield. The 20% damage going through is already enough of a nerf for PvP aswell as PvE... BUT in all honesty, the depletion aspect kills PvP for us GF almost entirely. Please consider applying some small changes.

---

#Tested it again, i lose roughly ~1200 power each second. (Ouchie!) Do the other classes have similar features? If this is working as intended, then all other classes should have this added to their shift powers.

---

Joke aside, this needs to be fixed. I cannot see myself being effective in PvP anymore if this really makes it to live.

This is exactly why WAY back like 10 pages ago I suggested changing this feat.

After looking up the actual PnP "Reckless Attacker" - deals an extra attack after a critical strike.

I actually think this feat should be changed to something LIKE:

25% damage boost for 6 seconds after dealing a critical strike.

THEN:

Put ARP onto CON (like GWFs have) AND put crit onto DEX (like GWFs have)

NOW a Conq can spec into a higher crit (like 30%) and can get a serious DPS boost from Conq Feat Capstone.
  • maxiumdanmaxiumdan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Like the way you think, ayroux. Maybe also something like, after critical strike, an encounter refreshs. That'll open eyes. Or, decreases recharge time or recovery boost which is like attacking faster.