test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loot system is changing soon...

natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Its mentioned on Twitter several times as well as the State of Game speech from a Dev. This need on everything <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is coming to end , finally.

I await the flames and soon to be rivers full of tears of these greedy ninjas :)

Enjoy a fair and balanced loot system :P
ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
Post edited by natejam101 on

Comments

• kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very simple fix, just make it so that if it's not your Class, you can't Need on it.
  • warcelwarcel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could be defined as an group option LIKE:

[v] Only specific class can loot.
    Gibe Moni Plos
  • warcelwarcel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I kinda of like the FREEDOM... pls dont take freedom away... Just make options.
    Gibe Moni Plos
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Its mentioned on Twitter several times as well as the State of Game speech from a Dev. This need on everything <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is coming to end , finally.

I await the flames and soon to be rivers full of tears of these greedy ninjas :)

I doubt you will see many tears. They have had plenty of time to pad their wallets.
    The only tears you will see is from those that didn't reach 60 fast enough to take advantage of the slow response from the developers.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I really hope this is true and the cynic in me can take a rest.
  • h2orattyh2oratty Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is indeed true... and soon...
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cool, I dislike the chaos that it is now.

Roll need on things to stay even, be a ******bag.

Be a good guy, and lose out.

Wat do D:
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kasuhari wrote: »
    Very simple fix, just make it so that if it's not your Class, you can't Need on it.

No thats not a fair system. What if it isnt an upgrade then they get it by default. It should be roll need and it binds. Roll greed its bind on equip.

Its funny how people cant see beyond getting loot in their slot.
  • jhbwolverinejhbwolverine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really get what the big deal is. Just let everyone roll need on everything all the time, and loot will be distributed randomly. The auction house will take care of the rest. That's worked fine in plenty of other games.

Or take it a step further and remove the need/greed/pass menu altogether, and hand it out to a random person in the first place.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or you know, if you run dungeons on a TR to get gear for your GWF, or if you run dungeons to get money.

Or you know, since the drop tables are terrible BoP would only make it that much more difficult to get your gear from the AH.

You don't deserve something simply because you are a certain class, everyone is running the dungeon to get items. If a T2 set piece drops for TR, a DC could sell it to buy theirs. If that's an issue, then join a guild where people are there to gear their friends out. You aren't owed anything when you're in a PUG.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Would you mind posting the tweets that mention that the loot system will change? The State of the Game editorial doesn't seem to really say that.

Thanks!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    h2oratty wrote: »
    It is indeed true... and soon...

Every time I hear a PW/Cryptic team member say the word soon I cringe. LOL
    Soon seems to be a default time-frame than can mean anything from a day to next century. O.O
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • cujo669cujo669 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Enjoy a fair and balanced loot system:P

This to me has absolutely no bearing since i never PvP and play mostly solo or with one other. And I'm not alone either. In fact fair and balance only applies to PvP and that is a tiny part of this game. If you are bothered by someone elses performance in PvE you have issues outside of the net :)
  • xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...and hand it out to a random person in the first place.
    This, with either flat out random, or, option to roll or just pass.
    And please shrink the size of the roll result. 3 of them block half the screen to the point you can't see what is happening, which is very bad in a hack and slash action game.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i dont know...i had a single time somone needing on everything - and he stopped after we told him...most mmo players are pretty fair i think
  • leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The tears already started.... in this topic, at least.
  • draemorindraemorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    The loot system doesn't need changing folks. In fact, all of the complaints about the loot system has caused this game's developers to waste time on something that didn't need addressing.

The problem with this game's "loot system" is the group leaders who don't/didn't take time out to address their party's loot setting(s) and/or notify everyone of the loot rules prior to starting up the instance run.

Stop rushing through the game folks and enjoy the ride... this isn't Crack Baby Crack Baby 123.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    No thats not a fair system. What if it isnt an upgrade then they get it by default. It should be roll need and it binds. Roll greed its bind on equip.

I'll just quote this.
  • vitizaxvitizax Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Today went to pirate dungeon with 4 guys of the guild "Winter is coming" they ninja looted timeless shield, beware.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll echo others and vote for loot that's won on a need roll becoming BoP and have no vendor value either

Talking about purples and possibly blue here, couldn't care less about greens
  • jdrivejdrive Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or take it a step further and remove the need/greed/pass menu altogether, and hand it out to a random person in the first place.

I'm not sure why this isn't the default in games. Loot is already random by its very nature... simply having each item go to the next person in the list is the most fair way to do it. If people want to trade they can. The only reason a roll should be used is for items that are bound on pickup. I don't even bother rolling need on green items that are for my class, I just greed everything. Never had any problems getting gear.
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Should clarify what items we are talking about. It's obvious the biggest concern are epics, but you still have other items like greens and enchantments.

Almost everyone I've seen needs on rank 4 enchantments and shards and I don't have a problem with that.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013

BoP wont happen cause the loot systems already balance, why? because there are other optional loot method but you need to pre build the team. and before you start accusing someone of "greedy ninja" why don't you just ask all players around you, how many advanced MMO player here does know about the "Need before Greed" systems and how many new MMO players here that never knew or maybe even never heard of that loot model.
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    It's clear after reading many of the posts in this thread that several of you have little if any MMO experience.

It's also quite obvious the F2P model invites this sort of chaotic moral imbalance into play.

For many of you rolling need on loot you cannot equip and only intend to sell against a player who is rolling to equip... seems fair.

For the majority of experienced and seasoned MMO veterans it does not.

It goes against the ideology of community and role-play that is so deeply ingrained in how we play and enjoy MMO's.

I fear that many of you will completely miss the point I have made and this is the saddest element of all.

Welcome to F2P
  • jhbwolverinejhbwolverine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's clear after reading many of the posts in this thread that several of you have little if any MMO experience.

That seems to be an assumption with no evidence to support it.

I've played MMOs for years now, but they've all been games that don't use the need/greed system and just hand out loot randomly. And it works perfectly fine as long as players are able to trade in some manner.

So yes, I'm perfectly happy just clicking need on everything (and everyone else doing the same thing) because that leads to the same end result, and that result works just fine.
  • thekedtheked Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    soup-of-the-day-the-tears-of-our-enemies.jpg
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's also quite obvious the F2P model invites this sort of chaotic moral imbalance into play.
    I've played enough MMOs long enough to know that "playing nice" is a sucker's bet, to the point where I don't run instances for gear since I probably won't get anything useful. (You may ask why I run them. I do it for fun. Imagine that! Fun in a video game! Preposterous...)

This will sound strange to people who are comfortable with the little boxes they've lived in for so long, but I actually like the fact that gear wasn't bind-on-pickup in this game, as this opens up the possibility of handing off items you accidentally needed on, or making trades, or selling on the AH - in all those cases, the item goes to someone who can use it, resulting in faster overall progression for everyone, which is better than selling it as vendor trash.

As for morality, I personally question any "moral" system which obviously sets people up for anger and frustration. In the absence of BoP, the current "etiquette" is no better than all-need-all; maybe a little worse in fact, since the only people who get screwed over are the people who adhere to it.

In an ideal world, Cryptic would go back to its roots and do the random drops thing they did for their first MMO. No muss, no fuss, no drama, no worries. Not forcing people to compete for loot can do wonders for community... However, having seen how Cryptic operates these days, I suspect we'll get something that nobody's going to be happy with.

Sometimes, the greatest tragedy is getting what you asked for...

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • jaz182jaz182 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warcel wrote: »
    I kinda of like the FREEDOM... pls dont take freedom away... Just make options.

"I kinda like the act of NINJAING... pls dont take that act away... just make me able to steal 50% of the epics.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    therealted wrote: »
    I've played enough MMOs long enough to know that "playing nice" is a sucker's bet, to the point where I don't run instances for gear since I probably won't get anything useful. (You may ask why I run them. I do it for fun. Imagine that! Fun in a video game! Preposterous...)

This will sound strange to people who are comfortable with the little boxes they've lived in for so long, but I actually like the fact that gear wasn't bind-on-pickup in this game, as this opens up the possibility of handing off items you accidentally needed on, or making trades, or selling on the AH - in all those cases, the item goes to someone who can use it, resulting in faster overall progression for everyone, which is better than selling it as vendor trash.

As for morality, I personally question any "moral" system which obviously sets people up for anger and frustration. In the absence of BoP, the current "etiquette" is no better than all-need-all; maybe a little worse in fact, since the only people who get screwed over are the people who adhere to it.

In an ideal world, Cryptic would go back to its roots and do the random drops thing they did for their first MMO. No muss, no fuss, no drama, no worries. Not forcing people to compete for loot can do wonders for community... However, having seen how Cryptic operates these days, I suspect we'll get something that nobody's going to be happy with.

Sometimes, the greatest tragedy is getting what you asked for...

I just needed to quote this again for its awesomeness. You are my hero!
  • braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »

Nice! That is an elegant idea.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)