test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Newbie here. Is this really what PvP is all about?

aelfgarmtaelfgarmt Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvP Discussion
Last night a friend of mine convinced me to queue up with him for Gauntlgrym (sp?), and it was an... interesting experience. Some background: I am a level 70 TR with iLevel 2024. No PVP type gear. No experience with PvP outside of IWD dailies, and even then, I pretty much just avoid people. So, in other words, I know I am going to suck. But I thought it might be fun to start.

The match started off well, but at one point, my friend and I were at one of the rally points with an enemy pally, and we might as well have been tickling him for all the progress we were making.

That's when Mr. Nasty starting in on us in party voice chat. I know we (and more specifically I) were the weak links on our team, by a long shot, but the vitriol of hate and nastiness was something I had never experienced in any game I have played so far (EQ, EQ2, WOW, RQ, FF14). Maybe because I am a respectful player just looking to play and have fun, and have not been in an uber guild except once, back in EQ, I wasn't expecting this.

I was called:
A wart and a bunch of profanity

I was told that:
-I should die
-I should quit

And that I:
-was the reason he was losing (well no kidding Sherlock)
-was the reason the team was losing (well no kidding Sherlock)
-was useless and a loser (this much was apparent, I suppose)
-many more things that really just kind of were lost in the forest of his insults.

So, my question is: is this what I can expect as a pretty noobish PvPer in these kinds of matches? If so, I will just skip PvP, thank you very much. Advice/input welcome. Even if you agree with Mr. Nasty. Will be good to know.

Teegle the glass-pea-shooter
Post edited by aelfgarmt on

Comments

• sentineltitaniasentineltitania Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    PVP isn't a Happy Lala land like PVE is. It's basically the world of insults. You have to have a decent mental to PVP in this game. Most of the PVP people are elitists and very, very mean towards the "weaklings".

If you want, I can add you so you can have a non-elitist (and decently geared player) to play with.
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Things to do while in a domination match:

-Fight on the nodes
    -Play to your classes strength (ex. if you have crowd control encounters use those to delay your opponents if you are out geared)
    -Getting used to pvp requires learning what the other classes are using
    -Calm. Cool. Collected. Or at least trying to be at all times allows you to make the best decision even if you feel you are not making an impact
    -Practice with friends in Icewind pass or Dwarven valley on how to fight a particular class or ask someone in those instances

These are just a few tips that can improve how you play pvp. The other aspect is playing with someone in duo party and learning how they play to best compliment them in domination.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • heruwath1heruwath1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No serious pvp guilds ever look down to enemies or allies alike (there are but a few, VERY few rotten apples there).
    Thats the main reason they are called serious pvp guilds.
    Most likely you were reprimanded (a mild term , I know) by some p2w and never l2p ppl that have been pawned so badly (mostly for their behaviour) from serious pvp-ers

MY advice:
    1st : Dont pay attention to stupid people and play the game as you like, its the only way any game is worth playing and
    2nd : If you wanna enter in this world (of NW pvp) the above comments by @mfgamesys are spot-on
    3rd : serious pvp guilds are but a handfull and if you are insulted by a member and you report it to an officer of the guild , most likely the insults that made you feel bad will be returned on him ten-fold imho
    4th : However true the above comments might be, keep always in mind that there is little love for tr's inb general
  • aelfgarmtaelfgarmt Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I appreciate all the comments. And you are very right about TRs Heru. I regret making the TR my main, and I wish I didn't like playing a TR so much. No one likes TRs, and especially lowbie TRs. sigh.
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ignore that drivvel...

I could not tell you how many times I have heard that same rhetoric. Send me an in game msg... atwil@drkbodhi... I will help you find your way in PvP. My main is a TR... who is slowly making a space for himself despite a glaring lack of gear and enchants. Often times I may be the least geared toon on the team, but I would estimate that 7 out of 10 times I will sit in the top 10, and 5 will be in the top 5. I do not see that the goal of the game is to kill everyone on the other team. There is a learning curve.

Understand this... what other people say about you actually fits exactly with what the think about themselves.

I collect my fair share of deaths and kills. The feat I am most proud, in GG, of was being #1 with 0 kills and 0 deaths.

There is Honor among some Thieves.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • heruwath1heruwath1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    morenthar wrote: »
    WHY WHY WHY WHY would you queue for a PvP match without PvP gear? WHY WHY WHY

Why?

I am in no way defending the ***-hats that sometimes frequent PvP. It's okay if you aren't the greatest, it's okay if the team loses because of you. Some people don't think that, but seriously, it's a ****ing game.

What isn't okay is queuing for PvP WITHOUT ****ING PVP gear.

So if someone was yelling at you for not using Tenacity gear, I get it. I don't think they should insult or harass you, but I get their frustration.

So please, go buy some cheap-*** tenacity gear from the AH so you can at least survive a bit to make yourself useful to your team. That's really all that a lot of us ask.

Mate chill
    You re right about all the above,but for one to have pvp gear , one must play pvp.
    I m guessing he didn't even have the resources to buy pvp gear (I dont think he 'd lose time posting about hate messages if he had been in pvp even once after 70 lol) so he had to start somewhere and I believe gg and not arena is the best place

morenthar wrote: »
    Also, don't let the TR haters get in the way of you having a good gaming experience.

Embrace it. You like it. Screw the rest of those ********. They want to treat you like a villain? Just be the **** villain.

See? When you're chill some of the wisest words come out :)
  • lilhamletlilhamlet Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you have the A.D., Blue PvP gear is pretty inexpensive on the AH (but that's assuming you have the A.D... right now, it's not easy for anyone new to the game to acquire it). If not, just do what you do. It's a game and you should be enjoying it.

If anyone ever gets abusive with you, just put them on ignore, report them, and if they are using Voice, click on the volume icon by their avatar to mute them. Frankly in a 10v10, it's unlikely that the entire team is losing because of one player, especially if the match isn't even close.

As to PvP, it really is quite fun, though any new player should know the mechanics first. Remember it's a king of the hill (with 5 hills in GG, 3 in dom). The moment you play like it's deathmatch, you're going to run into trouble catching wins. (I'm not saying that's something you did, just a common mistake by ppl first getting into NW PvP.) As long as you stand on a point, you're contesting it, and stop any point production it should make for an opposing team, so as a TR you can always just play for a stalemate through stealth.

Don't take deaths personally, and just ignore the trolls, of which there are many.

Enjoy the game.

P.S. I do take offense to the notion that the PvP community is bad. I mean, just read PvP forums.... it's all evidence of warm, friendly, and cuddly people with nothing but positive and welcoming attitudes. ROFL.... /sarcasm
  • loosestellaloosestella Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL, good times. I use to play pvp a lot prior to Mod 4-5. Was decent enough to be in the top 5 of any given match. Oh how I loved trash-talking opponent players. Dancing atop their corpse before they can respawn. Yea sure I'd receive in return similar abuse, but honestly...I would befriend those good players that we seemed to butt heads into during matches. From that point, we formed premades...then pvp got all whacked out of balance and lost it's challenge...for me at least. I felt rather disgusted that pvp is actually P2W, and felt sorry for lesser unfortunate players that can't afford BiS. I stopped playing pvp mostly with the coming of Mod 4-5 which was a grindfest, and time-sinked most of my playtime. My Tip: spark up a convo with some of them opponent pvp players. Not saying you can befriend most, but maybe a few have connections to "premades" willing to help you gearup or ride piggyback. Sorry for your experience. Pvp is a whole other world compared to pve, but good n bad can be found in both.
    Yup, its as if we bought what we thought was a home (with our attention, time and for many, money) but instead it was a hotel room, and mod 6 was checkout day.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I recommend you familiarize yourself with the ignore player function. There's no reason to put up with a stranger insulting you on voice chat. You're doing the right thing queuing for GG as a new players, if someone starts raging at you there tell them to take there *** back to the domination queue and leave the normal people alone. GG should not be for serious PVP, if someone is frustrated by their team they can quit without penalty so they have no excuse for getting that angry.
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am "/wave"-ing at every player that I send to the ground. After a match, I have more insulted family members than kills. I LOVE IT!

I never use the chat in pvp.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aelfgarmt wrote: »
    Snip for consistency

PvP is more like a "football" fan type of game play.
    PvE is more of a let's go to the beach type of game play.

First things first about pvp.
    1. Know what your enemy can do. (understand their attack / defense skills)
    2. Know how to counter that enemy.
    3. Know where you need to be at any given time. (positioning)
    4. Mounts are very important (110% speed is a must)
    5. Weapon enchantments / boons / feats (max out everything)

If you want to learn some tactics with TR just PM me.
    Banelorne taught me over a year ago, and all of his tactics still work well.
    /w @demonmongerchild
    this is how you can find me!

Peace!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much for the encouragement and wisdom. I did not know about the ability to turn down voice chat, that will come in handy. As to the comment that I should have know to have PvP gear, I suppose I should have known, but I did not know I would NEED it... I do now, and I promise to never step foot in PvP without some. I don't have a lot of AD, but I will see what I can pick up. I can see there is a lot of good people here, and I hope to meet some of you in a match soon(ish. Might be a while, lol).

Teegle the Glass Pea-Shooter
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There's ignore button for a reason. Use it if you cant handle kids which will always be around.
    edited May 2015
    Se, right now you have been given quite a few opportunities for help and guidance.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In this game right now you have to be prepared before going to either epic dungeons and pvp imho.
    Difference is, pvp community is more toxic. In pve you can get nice players who will booze even if they lose. In pvp, not so much.

Get tenacity gear from AH. Run GG NOT domination, as it's easier for non-experienced, undergeared players to diluite in a 10 men team in a large map, compared to a 5 men team in a small map. Stick with a group and do support while focusing on capping nodes NOT fight. Earn glory in this way and go for t1 pvp armor sets. Slot hp enchants and keep building combat experience.

Other than that, have fun and never listen to toxic players, put them in ignore list.

But avoid going pvp with a full pve setup as you're basically inceasing the chance to get a sh*tty match for everyone much like going in a T2 dungeon with lvl 20 gear and no experience.
    PvP in this game is harsh, requires different build and gameplay usually, compared to pve, and is full of spoiled arrogant players.

Also, TR victim-syndrome apart, it's not about class but rather balance. GWFs were hated even more in the past modules 2/3.
    The point is, when a build allows for cheap and easy wins, player base turns against the whole class.

You will find your good share of trashtalking, rude and spoiled players amongst TRs too. Trust me, there are many. There's a sub-community of so-called FOTM players. They periodically swarm to the class with most cheesy/ rewarding build and they are usually spoiled and rude, nasty brats.

But if you want to play the villain for some distorted victim-syndrome thinking everyone hates you for no reason, go ahead. Makes me smile a bit just the idea but hey, people must do what makes them happy :D
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much for the encouragement and wisdom. I did not know about the ability to turn down voice chat, that will come in handy. As to the comment that I should have know to have PvP gear, I suppose I should have known, but I did not know I would NEED it... I do now, and I promise to never step foot in PvP without some. I don't have a lot of AD, but I will see what I can pick up. I can see there is a lot of good people here, and I hope to meet some of you in a match soon(ish. Might be a while, lol).

• pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Hit me up in game, as well (after 9pm eastern). We'll see what else can be done to help you out.

@pherrow
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Snip for consistenc

Thank you for proving openly that when people have attitude and talk trash it really DOES put players away from the thing they love - pvp.

As for me I never had a problem with it, it still happens sometimes even when ur fully decked out but it's really rare overall. Some people are just pretty dumb sometimes - you can always click the mic icon to mute them, and ignore list them lol
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I also had the misfortune of getting abuse from one of my team-mates in GG for NOT using the cheesy HR perma-stun build. I just put him on ignore and reported him to one of his guild officers. Best advice is ignoring these sad, sad people.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    close the voice chat and set on ignore, thats my only advice since lunatics allways cry and shout in this chat, its a small minority of player, so ignore them and you will feel better
    edited May 2015
    xsayajinx1, and others, you are right, it looks like I had no business being there without pvp gear, but it really was my first match ever, and i really just didnt know better. I now have learned a good lesson. My only real complaint, and it stands, is the level of abuse. Thank you all for your input, it has been very helpful. My guild is ready and willing to assist me, as well. Maybe you will see me in a match some day, but it won't be soon. Good hunting all.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Point is, players should remember it's just a game, call it a day and lose quietly, perhaps explaining you how to gear up for PvP and how to move.
    Reality is, players get angry when losing and look for a scapegoat to unleash their frustration on someone.

I SAY
    GNE GNE

Put angry Justin Biebers in ignore+ gear for PvP so you don't put yourself in such situations and don't contribute to bad balance.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I also had one of these matches yesterday, me as cleric mediocre gear but faithful easy peasy number, node contesting al time, two player in our team who were really undergeared so we lost, a very well known GWF who was top rated in last mod was yelling and shouting the hole match, i don´t want to repeat what he said but it was not very friendly... but I felt a bit entertained reading the chat so i did not ignore this neverendeing storm of s.h.i.t, lol
    in the end he was "one year older" , and I only wondered about the fact that some ppl just forget all time...it´s a game
    edited May 2015
    +1
    /10chars
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    pherrow wrote: »
    Hit me up in game, as well (after 9pm eastern). We'll see what else can be done to help you out.

@pherrow

need a new scrub tr since my PC went down lol ;)