test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

hr rumor is false

wolferstarwolferstar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
First post ever. I read the forums fairly often and it seems to me there is a general consensus that the hunter ranger is on the low end of DPS.

This is 10000000% because players are forgetting that even legolas pulled out his blades in battle. Trapper is the only way to spec. I have never in the probably 1000 dungeons including castle never been out damaged by any class. I routinely beat people in castle never by at least 30 million damage.

Please instead of just kicking hunter rangers watch them for two minutes if there just standing back firing arrows then you are probably going to end up carrying them through the dungeon.
Post edited by wolferstar on

Comments

• telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    On these forums at least it's pretty well accepted that trapper-hunters are great control and DPS.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    100% true statement, mods please sticky and convert it into a binding agreement that every user must read before posting on the forums.

Sincerely,
    Players who are tired of the useless QQ spam
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
  • tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So what you're saying is... i can't spec as Archer? :/
  • wolferstarwolferstar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You can but I will never run castle never or lol with you in my group. I don't kick based on class, I kick based on how you play it. I don't care in all of the lower dungeons though you can run what ever you want my team of hr DC and gf can 3man all t2 dungeons leading up to cn
  • monktoastymonktoasty Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Rangers are pointless in this game, they take up a valuable party slot..they add nothing to the fight..except making it hard to.keep.healed since you stay 1000 feet away from.the group
    edited May 2015
    monktoasty wrote: »
    Rangers are pointless in this game, they take up a valuable party slot..they add nothing to the fight..except making it hard to.keep.healed since you stay 1000 feet away from.the group

Sorry I assumed everyone could read before responding...

Let me clarify for you. If a hr is played trapper then he will always be near the battle. If it is specced correctly it can life steal enough to almost never heals and with the amount of dodging the class does it won't get hit much.
    edited May 2015
    I see, well you are the only good ranger in the game than.because ive never seen one
  • mrdurvamrdurva Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hunter RANGER!!! if you want them to use daggers 100% of the time then maybe they should just make a TR............
    edited May 2015
    mrdurva wrote: »
    Hunter RANGER!!! if you want them to use daggers 100% of the time then maybe they should just make a TR............

Please read the post
  • echocrackechocrack Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    People are proving 2 things in this post.

1. They are not smart, at all.
    2. They boot rangers on sight and have never given them a chance.

I've also out dps'd every class with my HR. I've taken two TRs on at the same time in pVp and came out on top too. Maybe some day we'll get some respect...
    edited May 2015
    I dont boot rangers, I try not to boot anyone, but I usually let em die and dont heal them if they are way in.the back..its a pain to chase them.down to heal em
  • pureacousicpureacousic Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just to clarify, and reiterate what wolferstar has been saying.... a properly spec'd TRAPPER Ranger will more often than not end a dungeon with the highest DPS, and he'll do a **** fine job controlling the battle field while he's at it.

With the proper feats and features, our Roots not only hold the mobs (or human players) but do DoTs. And with our cooldowns, we can go a full dungeon without having to use a single at-will. In order for this to happen, we have to use both range and melee attacks... not just one or the other.

I pvp all the time with my Ranger, and there's not a single class I can't beat 1v1. There's a lot of times I even come out on top on a 4v1 (as long as one of those people aren't a cleric)

So please, give a ranger a chance if you see one in your next dungeon group!
  • telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    monktoasty wrote: »
    I see, well you are the only good ranger in the game than.because ive never seen one

That says more about you then the ranger class.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • obliviouslusterobliviousluster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've out dps'd all HRs thus far with my CW, but that's pretty much expected considering my spell storm... I have a HR and used Archery spec and by no means was it useless. I did excellent damage and pretty much killed the mobs in just a few ability uses but I never felt like I was using the full potential.. I switched to Trapper because it utilizes both melee and ranged aspects of the class and I enjoy it thoroughly. Sadly though, I often have the opposite effect that people have been complaining about in regards to Devoted Clerics healing me... I've seen people complain that DCs wont heal because you're too far from the actual battle and don't feel like running around the place looking for you. I, on the other hand, often have DCs not heal me because they "expect me to hang back and provide covering fire"... Archery spec is nice for many tier 2 dungeons... just not Castle Never or Lair of Lostmauth. For those two, you really need to be Trapper spec to do anything/survive long enough in those dungeons. As for melee path, I never see any HR with that spec. Honestly never tried it out myself since I keep hearing its for PvP mainly... Probably never going to try it. I'm bringing this up because I have yet to have any clarification regarding the melee path being the pvp path. Can anyone confirm/disprove? What sort of benefits does it offer? Genuinely curious...
    Walk on wandering souls
    For your respite we pray
    Let our humble song clear your hearts of dismay,
    Rekindle the flame in your souls and set you free
    So walk on and become the light that guides the way~
  • hrothdainhrothdain Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2015
    I agree with you 100% my second in command of my guild runs a trapper HR and easily outdamages everyone no matter what class they are. They are a very valuable addition to our dungeon party.
    Bring me skulls....

For I wish to build a throne.
    edited May 2015
    It's funny because i did Epic Lair of Lostmauth on Neverwinter PC with an Archery HR...... hmmmm
  • dizast3reb0rndizast3reb0rn Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ive seen good and bad HR's I'm not to fond of them. I won't kick them but I normally prefer another class in my party especially for Castle Never every time I do CN with a HR they die on the last boss within 1 minute most of the time the HRs generate to much threat and agrro and all the mobs go right to the HR and he just dies just like with all classes if you know what your doing you can do really well if you don't your just a burden on the team.
    All Hail Britannia!
    Founder and Guildmaster of the Elite Dawn guild check us out here
  • xjayscxjaysc Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For those in this thread that still doubt what a Hunter Ranger can do when properly trapper spec, why not join some of the HRs here to see for your self. I personally top damage in all T2s and usually round out the top in Shores.

My gear is so so and the only time I don't top the list is when I'm in a "push back" heavy group. Get all those mobs grouped up to hit'em with my melee AoEs. Till they go flying and I'm swinging at the air. Or fox shift to one flying off.

On time in Pirate Lair the randoms decided to do that "run to the end and die" tactic for the last 1/3 of the dungeon. Only they didn't tell anyone. They took off and after killing a few mobs I follow. Sure enough I get half way and here comes half the mobs coming back at me. Decided to make my stand at the last landing. Killed them all and joined up with the group. Half of whom must not have had injury kits...
  • gaanjaa81gaanjaa81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    a good trapper hunter is god-like.

i have never been out dps'd on my trapper and can control groups of mobs just as well as any other class.. we are never far away from the group battle like archer builds as we need to be real close to the action for the constant weapon switching synergy, yet.. still..... i get kicked all the time as soon as i enter dungeons because people see hunter and think eeewwww.... archer >.>

before auto kicking a hunter you should ask if they are trapper. if the answer is yes...and they are a good player then be happy, you just got the best class ingame running with you :P

/endthread
    Devoted cleric rule number one = We cant cure stupidity so no heals for fools ^.^
  • matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    HR Archery specced is indeed a failure, DPS wise and party wise since they need to stay away from enemies to achieve maximum damage BUT the only thing they manage is to aggro adds and make them come to them thus breaking any control efforts of the rest of the party. Archery is a failed spec, Trapper on the other hand is superb, has HUGE dps, HUGE control and if played properly with Fox's Cunning is a party saver since all these party dodges are lifesaving. This is my experience from the PC for almost a year since HR was launched.
    Also an advice for the kicking mentality..it is meant to restrain certain people who dont take seriously the effort of the party..it is NOT to manipulate people like lifeless bots..dont abuse it..its use must be as limited as possible..there are humans behind the character you decide to kick not some lines of code..
  • lordmcswaggerlordmcswagger Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Preach it Brother! I am a fellow Trapper and I out do ANY party member ESPECIALLY TR's in Dungeon damage. As a trapper you are basically an aggro hogging tank in the middle of the battle. Being able to spam x, y, b, RB x, y, b, RB (repeat 1000 times) your rooting and powers and Fox shift own everything in your way. Like you said, it's about how any class is spec'ed and played.
  • arlequin13arlequin13 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ive seen good and bad HR's I'm not to fond of them. I won't kick them but I normally prefer another class in my party especially for Castle Never every time I do CN with a HR they die on the last boss within 1 minute most of the time the HRs generate to much threat and agrro and all the mobs go right to the HR and he just dies just like with all classes if you know what your doing you can do really well if you don't your just a burden on the team.

This! I hate this! "Omg he is a ranger, he is going to die."

How come i can run castle never flawless without a death as a trapper if im so squishy? I pull alot of the aggro? Great! Helps me gift wraps clusters of mobs for the others to blast. If your ever looking for the trapper, he will be the guy flying all over the place in the middle of the action, NOT dying!

Unless there is lag......**** you lag....
  • blueberry1973blueberry1973 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2015
    Trapper is an AOE spec. What I don't understand is how could this be intended. It has to be an exploit that will be fixed?

A few HR I know think the spec Is a bug and stupid so don't want to play it. I cannot imagine this staying in the game.
  • reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Trapper is an AOE spec. What I don't understand is how could this be intended. It has to be an exploit that will be fixed?

A few HR I know think the spec Is a bug and stupid so don't want to play it. I cannot imagine this staying in the game.

Because the best encounter loadout for DPS consists of 3 skills that do AoE in both melee and ranged stance?

That's like saying CWs have a lot of CC so they must be bugged. Or Clerics heal for a lot, so they must be bugged as well. That's what the Trapper build is good at, and those HRs you know are absolute idiots.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
  • blueberry1973blueberry1973 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2015
    Because the best encounter loadout for DPS consists of 3 skills that do AoE in both melee and ranged stance?

That's like saying CWs have a lot of CC so they must be bugged. Or Clerics heal for a lot, so they must be bugged as well. That's what the Trapper build is good at, and those HRs you know are absolute idiots.

That is not why. Trapper by changing stances spam encounters. CW at least has encounter cooldowns. The only reason Trapper does so much dps is they can spam encounters which cannot be intended or frankly their encounter powers need a damage nerf. Think about it.

Nothing personal but a Trapper out dpsing a geared CW designed for AOE with relatively poor single target makes absolutely no sense. It is just poor game design.
    edited May 2015
    That is not why. Trapper by changing stances spam encounters. CW at least has encounter cooldowns. The only reason Trapper does so much dps is they can spam encounters which cannot be intended or frankly their encounter powers need a damage nerf. Think about it.

Nothing personal but a Trapper out dpsing a geared CW designed for AOE with relatively poor single target makes absolutely no sense. It is just poor game design.

trapper out dpsing CW , why is that wrong?? the clue is in the name, CONTROL wizard...not DPS wizard >.>

and yes trapper spam encounters by changing weapons, thats the synergy... its what the build is supposed to be played like, its the whole point of trapper playstyle.. fast fast fast play style. there is nothing wrong with HR trapper, it requires quick reflexes and no mistakes in order to get great dps from them, they are definately not broke, i dont get your problem?? i guess you just dont like being out dpsd on your cw or something =/
    Devoted cleric rule number one = We cant cure stupidity so no heals for fools ^.^
  • wade8765wade8765 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So what works best for HR? Up close combat or ranged?
    edited May 2015
    wade8765 wrote: »
    So what works best for HR? Up close combat or ranged?

for trapper HR = both.. you switch between both stances constantly. you want to be fairy close to groups of mobs though even when using bow.

All feat/paragon points must go into the trapper tree in order to get the best out of trapper HR. once you start maxing out and unlocking the latter trapper feats you start to notice how fun and good the build is.
  • krad777krad777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Trapper HR is working as its intended. I'm a CW and I can count on one hand how many times I've been out dpsed. It's all about how you build your character.

On another note, I'm glad people are starting to catch on about how much of a beast Trapper HR's are. Tired of seeing so many poorly built HR's.
    "An Idle mind is the devils workshop"
    edited May 2015
    krad777 wrote: »
    Trapper HR is working as its intended. I'm a CW and I can count on one hand how many times I've been out dpsed. It's all about how you build your character.

On another note, I'm glad people are starting to catch on about how much of a beast Trapper HR's are. Tired of seeing so many poorly built HR's.

"poorly built" :/

sigh... guess that's MORE astral diamonds i'm gonna have to save up.... because from the sound of it, i'm gonna have to spec as trapper (which i didn't want to do) to be able to enjoy the game.