Options

Offensive names of other people ingame

2»

Comments

• Options
    draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    liefglinde wrote: »
    Right? A friend and I were in a dungeon with 2 other people waiting for a 5th to join. "The Healer" joins and we breathe a collective sigh of relief because we think we got a Cleric. Nope. Rogue.

Now that is just funny! Of course I am sure it wasnt at the time but you gotta step back now and just laugh!
  • Options
    liefglindeliefglinde Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    draven165 wrote: »
    Now that is just funny! Of course I am sure it wasnt at the time but you gotta step back now and just laugh!
    We definitely laughed, some names are just great. We once got a Cleric named "Malpractice" who didn't heal us once and we couldn't even be mad.
  • Options
    inlove2marrowinlove2marrow Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2015
    Bump aaaand +1
  • Options
    feileacan1967feileacan1967 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Goofy names are one thing and they ARE fun, but names that are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, or are hate speech against races, genders and sexual orientations are not cool.
  • Options
    feileacan1967feileacan1967 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    guruoftime wrote: »
    The ESRB does not rate online interactions.
    If you allow an 8 year old to play online, supervised or not, it is nobodies fault but your own.
    Why should somebody who paid with their own time and money, be forced to adhere to specific mannerisms as not to offend somebody who should not be playing in the first place.

Because profanity and hate speech are violations of not only arc, but xbox terms of use and have no place in the game no matter how much you spend.
  • Options
    guruoftimeguruoftime Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2015
    Because profanity and hate speech are violations of not only arc, but xbox terms of use and have no place in the game no matter how much you spend.

Hate speech I can see, because it would be considered harassment, but as far as I'm aware, cursing is in no way a violation of terms, (For Xbox at least) Unless it is on skype, or user-generated content. Otherwise there would be almost no users on Xbox live.
    And as much as I detest cursing, if it was a large concern of Arc, the name creator would have a better filter.
    And 'no place in the game' might be a bit severe. Considering a lot of people simply play alone or with friends, being unable to reflexively saying "**** i died" would suck :P.
  • Options
    karlspaklerkarlspakler Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Saw a guild named "meat whistles". I am not going to lie. I laughed.
  • Options
    telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mrdurva wrote: »
    Ha....haha.............hahahahahaha game is not sold anywhere
    Sold/distributed - same deal
    mrdurva wrote: »
    How about my HR halfling <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Faggins? ;)
    Mildly amusing - but not a fan of the last name, as it's often used derogatorily.
    And it's nowhere near as good as classics like Phil McCrevise, Mike Hawk (say it fast), Mike Hunt or Master Bates
    All's fair in Love and War. Free speech is just that.. FREE. Our Founding Fathers used the word FREE to mean.. FREE from retribution, or reprisal, so that no speech was silenced. With the exception of any speech that could unintentionally or INTENTIONALLY cause a public safety hazard ( Fire in a theater..Hi Jack on a plane..etc. ) are illegal, racial slurs, as offensive as it may be to some, ARE protected under the First Amendment in the Constitution. I could call a Black Policemen the "N" word to his face...and he could not arrest me. It would show a lack of education, respect, ignorance, intolerance and any kind of intelligence on my part to do that..but it is PROTECTED speech. Like it or not.

I think if you actually did that you'd find yourself charged with hate-speech or inciting unrest.

You're also overlooking that this is a private space where your protections aren't relevant. And it's not an American business. And it's not only Americans that play.
    Basically everything you just typed was irrelevant.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • Options
    rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    Actually saying "that in no way is offensive" is not to be determined by any one person. If someone, anyone finds something offensive then well it is offensive. I get what you are saying but you really cannot determine what is and is not offensive to others. I personally would just ignore that person/example but I completely agree with the OP that there needs to be a filter.

There also NEEDS to be an in game option to report people especially for the ignorant spam that takes place in this game. I did some PvP last night and the team I was playing against routinely spammed zone chat with over the top vulgar comments. I was a sailor in the US Navy and I don't even talk like that LOL It is sad how some children act when they are given free reign.

What you are saying is more along the lines of spamming chat with vulgar words, not names. And people get too butt hurt over the stupidest things
  • Options
    mrdurvamrdurva Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    telprydain wrote: »
    -snip-

I can see your point but the name only comes from a parody that I enjoyed
  • Options
    vintagevivvintageviv Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    OP many of the people who play this game lack class and an educational level higher than grade school, so they see no issue with the incredibly inappropriate player names. The fact that even XBL has a system in place to help filter gamer tags is very telling. I would like to see Cryptic follow suit. Interestingly enough Phil Spencer plays a Scourge Warlock on Xbox so I'm sure in his travels he will bump into the low classers (pretty hard not to as they seem to be EVERYWHERE) and hopefully something comes of it.

If not, then no worries as they will likely jump ship when 1) mom doesn't let them spend anymore money on the game 2) the next dudebro shooter comes out. Most likely to be #2. Chin up. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    trainn.jpg?1260328965
  • Options
    xpaddymacxxpaddymacx Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You are allowing your 8 year old child to play a game rated teen and then complaining about the actions of other players? Sir it is not up to me to parent your child, if you want to let him play a game not suitable for him then be prepared to answer questions about what a dickinyerbutt is. You sir are failing your child as a parent.

I have a 14 year old daughter, and while she doesn't play, she does watch me sometimes. Maybe its just me, but even though she is a teen, I'd rather her not see names like Fistyosis and Come Honor Face. So I am with the OP, teen rating or not.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    xpaddymacx wrote: »
    I have a 14 year old daughter, and while she doesn't play, she does watch me sometimes. Maybe its just me, but even though she is a teen, I'd rather her not see names like Fistyosis and Come Honor Face. So I am with the OP, teen rating or not.

This game would have an M rating. Mature meaning 17+ and 14 years old? My god man, most 14 year olds have seen that and worse trust me on that
  • Options
    zerokill101zerokill101 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So....my warlock named PoonPounder could possibly offend you?? My bad.
  • Options
    pufpuffpasspufpuffpass Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2015
    vintageviv wrote: »
    OP many of the people who play this game lack class and an educational level higher than grade school, so they see no issue with the incredibly inappropriate player names. The fact that even XBL has a system in place to help filter gamer tags is very telling. I would like to see Cryptic follow suit. Interestingly enough Phil Spencer plays a Scourge Warlock on Xbox so I'm sure in his travels he will bump into the low classers (pretty hard not to as they seem to be EVERYWHERE) and hopefully something comes of it.

If not, then no worries as they will likely jump ship when 1) mom doesn't let them spend anymore money on the game 2) the next dudebro shooter comes out. Most likely to be #2. Chin up. :)

I laughed entirely to hard at your dudebro FPS comment. Next CoD should officially be, "CoD DudeBro featuring Mr.Fakienoscope360720ladderjumpernoscope"
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All's fair in Love and War. Free speech is just that.. FREE. Our Founding Fathers used the word FREE to mean.. FREE from retribution, or reprisal, so that no speech was silenced. With the exception of any speech that could unintentionally or INTENTIONALLY cause a public safety hazard ( Fire in a theater..Hi Jack on a plane..etc. ) are illegal, racial slurs, as offensive as it may be to some, ARE protected under the First Amendment in the Constitution. I could call a Black Policemen the "N" word to his face...and he could not arrest me. It would show a lack of education, respect, ignorance, intolerance and any kind of intelligence on my part to do that..but it is PROTECTED speech. Like it or not.

And you are completely mistaken. Free speech only applies to government retribution. Private entities can set whatever rules they like. You cant, for example, say what you like at work. Not without retribution. They are perfectly free to set standards and fire you for violating them.

Seeing as how this is a private company, and we are playing by their rules. Rules that we have to accept and agree to, to even be able to play. They can limit anything they like, and can enforce it at their complete discretion. Free speech is not protected here, not even close.
  • Options
    draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    And you are completely mistaken. Free speech only applies to government retribution. Private entities can set whatever rules they like. You cant, for example, say what you like at work. Not without retribution. They are perfectly free to set standards and fire you for violating them.

Seeing as how this is a private company, and we are playing by their rules. Rules that we have to accept and agree to, to even be able to play. They can limit anything they like, and can enforce it at their complete discretion. Free speech is not protected here, not even close.

Bad example. Most of these idiots with the ignorant names more than likely are children or unemployed adults. They won't get the work reference. Lmao
  • Options
    generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ah, the XBox forums.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bad example. Most of these idiots with the ignorant names more than likely are children or unemployed adults. They won't get the work reference. Lmao

The reference is the same. Let them try the whole free speech angle in school by calling the faculty interesting names and see how far it gets them.
  • Options
    marloongmarloong Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2015
    This game would have an M rating. Mature meaning 17+ and 14 years old? My god man, most 14 year olds have seen that and worse trust me on that

LOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL. ok kid
  • Options
    goetzymamagoetzymama Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Last night someone was spamming in one of the zones... name was vaginal discharge... really? WTF. Why would someone pick that name?
    Yes, I'm female. No, you can't see my HAMSTER.

Level 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Caimeta
    Level 60 Guardian Fighter - Princess Clappy
    Level 60 Control Wizard - Rashenbo
    Next up... Butcher of Lock Love
    I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code
  • Options
    bonecrushertkbonecrushertk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    goetzymama wrote: »
    Last night someone was spamming in one of the zones... name was vaginal discharge... really? WTF. Why would someone pick that name?

Because it is funny.
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's Xbox man.

The players of Xbox. And also immature people, just fight on and ignore the fools
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!