test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Offensive names of other people ingame

knightmare6465knightmare6465 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Tired of seeing ppl walking around or chatting in chat with names like Dickinyerbutt or Our Lord Satan ... you all need to create a program that keeps ppl from choosing offensive and disturbing names (my 8yr old plays this game), then look thru out the game and make ppl change thier names! Or give ppl ingame a way to report ppl for Spamming, innapropriate names, etc. But it needs to apply to Guilds too; I've seen some really vulgar Guild names too.
Post edited by knightmare6465 on

Comments

• rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    Where as I can see Dickinyerbutt being offensive, Our Lord Satan I can not. Even as a Christian there is a thing called Free Speech and that is in no way offensive. I mean that is as offensive as saying Jesus Christ, Jesus, Christ our lord and savior I could keep going on. And if you find Our Lord Satan offensive I wonder what else you would find offensive
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    He does have a point though. Although I'm pretty sure that it would censor stupid things like the chat filter does if it was automated, reporting people in general for various things (spamming, offensive names, offensive language etc.) should be an option
    21.jpg
    edited May 2015
    I agree that there should be a way to report players for offensive names, but one that is requires the devs to determine if it is or is not offensive. Otherwise if it was player based how long til someone got in trouble for having the name "Sneeze" cause someone is having a pissy day. Saw one game that allowed the players to police "offensive' names and it was abused real fast. You think Vote Kick is bad, this would be worse. Someone would probably get offended by the word "Sneeze"
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm offended with you being offended...
  • tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Is it wrong i laughed at these names?
    edited May 2015
    tinead51 wrote: »

I am offended that you are are offended at my being offended
  • dreampagehundreampagehun Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally I don't find any names offensive. However, I can understand the reasons of the topic creator. There should be some kind of filter for names or a tool to report these names.
    Guardian Fighter | Total Item Level: 2600+
    edited May 2015
    Personally I don't find any names offensive. However, I can understand the reasons of the topic creator. There should be some kind of filter for names or a tool to report these names.

I thought the tool was the OP ;)
  • yllenyllen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At first I sympathised with the OP. However I then had a think about it and how it should be linked with the Xbox's own privacy and internet security settings. In the US the ESRB rating for the game is Teen', which is described as "Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language." In the Europe and the UK, the PEGI rating is '16+': "This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. More extreme bad language, the concept of the use of tobacco and drugs and the depiction of criminal activities can be content of games that are rated 16."

And I don't think any of the names suggested are anything more than "suggestive", "crude humour" or "infrequent strong language".

So anyone who is allowing their 8 yr old play it, can't really complain. If you don't think its appropriate, then don't let them play it.

edit: updated for EU and UK as well as US.
  • telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    First - Neverwinter needs to comply with the laws of all the places it's sold, and with some of these names, it's not.
    Second, while I don't mind silly names (Satan, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> face, things with nuts, etc), but I do mind racial slurs and references to non-consensual sex are not okay. No excuses.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Where as I can see Dickinyerbutt being offensive, Our Lord Satan I can not. Even as a Christian there is a thing called Free Speech and that is in no way offensive. I mean that is as offensive as saying Jesus Christ, Jesus, Christ our lord and savior I could keep going on. And if you find Our Lord Satan offensive I wonder what else you would find offensive

Actually saying "that in no way is offensive" is not to be determined by any one person. If someone, anyone finds something offensive then well it is offensive. I get what you are saying but you really cannot determine what is and is not offensive to others. I personally would just ignore that person/example but I completely agree with the OP that there needs to be a filter.

There also NEEDS to be an in game option to report people especially for the ignorant spam that takes place in this game. I did some PvP last night and the team I was playing against routinely spammed zone chat with over the top vulgar comments. I was a sailor in the US Navy and I don't even talk like that LOL It is sad how some children act when they are given free reign.
  • marloongmarloong Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2015
    Tired of seeing ppl walking around or chatting in chat with names like Dickinyerbutt or Our Lord Satan ... you all need to create a program that keeps ppl from choosing offensive and disturbing names (my 8yr old plays this game), then look thru out the game and make ppl change thier names! Or give ppl ingame a way to report ppl for Spamming, innapropriate names, etc. But it needs to apply to Guilds too; I've seen some really vulgar Guild names too.

You shouldn't have kids with spelling like that :D
  • mrdurvamrdurva Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    telprydain wrote: »
    First - Neverwinter needs to comply with the laws of all the places it's sold,

Ha....haha.............hahahahahaha game is not sold anywhere
  • reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    First - Neverwinter needs to comply with the laws of all the places it's sold, and with some of these names, it's not.
    Second, while I don't mind silly names (Satan, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> face, things with nuts, etc), but I do mind racial slurs and references to non-consensual sex are not okay. No excuses.

I see you've met my CW, SweatyGrapeTrain.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
    edited May 2015
    I see you've met my CW, SweatyGrapeTrain.

How about my HR halfling <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Faggins? ;)
  • highlyunstablehighlyunstable Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tinead51 wrote: »

I'm offended that you're offended that he/she is offended! Wait.. I think I just offended myself !!
    edited May 2015
    I'm offended that you're offended that he/she is offended! Wait.. I think I just offended myself !!

I'm offended that y............ *dies from being offended too much*
  • highlyunstablehighlyunstable Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2015

All's fair in Love and War. Free speech is just that.. FREE. Our Founding Fathers used the word FREE to mean.. FREE from retribution, or reprisal, so that no speech was silenced. With the exception of any speech that could unintentionally or INTENTIONALLY cause a public safety hazard ( Fire in a theater..Hi Jack on a plane..etc. ) are illegal, racial slurs, as offensive as it may be to some, ARE protected under the First Amendment in the Constitution. I could call a Black Policemen the "N" word to his face...and he could not arrest me. It would show a lack of education, respect, ignorance, intolerance and any kind of intelligence on my part to do that..but it is PROTECTED speech. Like it or not.
  • bonecrushertkbonecrushertk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You are allowing your 8 year old child to play a game rated teen and then complaining about the actions of other players? Sir it is not up to me to parent your child, if you want to let him play a game not suitable for him then be prepared to answer questions about what a dickinyerbutt is. You sir are failing your child as a parent.
  • caspur33caspur33 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree that names with a certain group of words, specifically those with profanity (<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, *****, ****, **** and variations of these words), should be made to change their names and blocked in the future. Other than profanity I think names should be whatever players want. What pisses me off the most is that the word "got" is blocked in chat but a player has a name "DickInYoSis". Get it together.
  • guruoftimeguruoftime Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2015
    The ESRB does not rate online interactions.
    If you allow an 8 year old to play online, supervised or not, it is nobodies fault but your own.
    Why should somebody who paid with their own time and money, be forced to adhere to specific mannerisms as not to offend somebody who should not be playing in the first place.
    edited May 2015
    mrdurva wrote: »
    I'm offended that y............ *dies from being offended too much*

I love a grown up discussion, wait, you mean this isn't? ;)
    edited May 2015
    be prepared to answer questions about what a dickinyerbutt is.

I can't stop laughing, someone please help me.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
  • goetzymamagoetzymama Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would just like consistency. I know this is an international game, but the chat censor on a statement like, "have you got a shard?" where got=@#$# but it's said by F*CkUrTw** is a tad ridiculous.
    Yes, I'm female. No, you can't see my HAMSTER.

Level 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Caimeta
    Level 60 Guardian Fighter - Princess Clappy
    Level 60 Control Wizard - Rashenbo
    Next up... Butcher of Lock Love
    I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code
    edited May 2015
    goetzymama wrote: »
    I would just like consistency. I know this is an international game, but the chat censor on a statement like, "have you got a shard?" where got=@#$# but it's said by F*CkUrTw** is a tad ridiculous.

Ridiculous bugged chat filters aside (pretty sure it censors words in other languages as well), a "Mature Chat Filter" should always be optional and not forced. Not everybody is offended by words, and being unable to completely comprehend what someone is trying to say is a detriment to communication.

Add an ignore option, filters/tabs for chat so we can customize where and when guild/group/zone/tell/trade is displayed, and add a maturity filter option. This game launched without some staple features and it really shows how rushed the development was and how eager PW had to have been to get it released before ESO so they could milk a couple million dollars from the playerbase. Shame on you.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
  • guruoftimeguruoftime Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2015
    A filter would be a nice way of pleasing all parties.
    edited May 2015
    /joke What makes me upset is seeing a guy named GandalfTheGrey and thinking oh I bet he is a CW then when I inspect him its a dang GWF? I mean come on! BAHAHAHAHAH!
    edited May 2015
    draven165 wrote: »
    /joke What makes me upset is seeing a guy named GandalfTheGrey and thinking oh I bet he is a CW then when I inspect him its a dang GWF? I mean come on! BAHAHAHAHAH!

How about a Legolas half orc that is a SW
  • liefglindeliefglinde Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    draven165 wrote: »
    Right? A friend and I were in a dungeon with 2 other people waiting for a 5th to join. "The Healer" joins and we breathe a collective sigh of relief because we think we got a Cleric. Nope. Rogue.
    edited May 2015
    liefglinde wrote: »
    Right? A friend and I were in a dungeon with 2 other people waiting for a 5th to join. "The Healer" joins and we breathe a collective sigh of relief because we think we got a Cleric. Nope. Rogue.

Now that is just funny! Of course I am sure it wasnt at the time but you gotta step back now and just laugh!