test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Gearscore Mentality

tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
I'm going to start this off with my stats: I am a Hunter Ranger and i currently have a gs of 8,408.

After being in groups of people who can't work together to kill a final boss and getting kicked from multiple dungeons without knowing why, i decided to go to a T2 dungeon in hopes of getting the gear my NW PC HR has: the Grand Warden set.

I join The Frozen Heart queue and was put with a group of people who are sitting outside the boss area kicking almost everyone. One of the guys there said "leave with your 8k gs" in which i replied, "I'm doing this to get gear -___-" then i get kicked from yet another dungeon, this time, by people who are pre-judging me based on my gs.

Yes i know i'm barely over the minimum gs requirement, and yes i know that will make it harder for my team to win, but it's not impossible. What if i play my class right? What if i know what to do in this dungeon? doesn't matter to them, because 8k gs must mean i suck.

I can empathize with why they don't want any lower gs people, he said so himself "i want to win", however, i don't agree with the fact that you kick someone for low gs, and yet, the dungeon itself should give them gear that increases their gs..

this reminds me a lot with the Well of Dragon's zone chat about lower gs peolpe doing the tiamat battle on NW PC.. but less severe
Post edited by tellistorterra on

Comments

• Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was actually intending to (and still am) make a post up as to why GS and end game parses are of little meaning and how players seem to be placing FAR too much importance on these numbers. But I'll save the majority of that rant for THAT post, whenever I get around to it.

That said, I feel sorry for you man. It's bull that people feel this way. But I disagree with you on one of your points. You mention your lower GS making it harder on your team. That's not necessarily true in my opinion. IF you know how to play your class and you know how to play it well. IF you know how to spec your classes feats. IF you know how to stack your character stats without going nuts and hitting marks WAY over stat soft caps. You are a valuable asset to your team. Don't let fools like the ones you experienced get to you. If you want my take on it? It's not YOUR GS that's the reason they can't beat the final boss fight. It's their own lack of ability to play their class role during the fight. People have a nasty habit at pointing fingers at everyone in the world but never at themselves.
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    thank you. it's just he kicked me before seeing how i played during the final boss. he was above 11k i think(?) so i assume he is another player who play/played the PC version. though another PC player from a different spectrum than i am lol
  • Options
    codher0codher0 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Have u fried to use your mic?
  • Options
    reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    thank you. it's just he kicked me before seeing how i played during the final boss. he was above 11k i think(?) so i assume he is another player who play/played the PC version. though another PC player from a different spectrum than i am lol

I've recently played with total scrubs who had 13-14k gearscores - it's an arbitrary number assigned to each item that gets higher based on the difficulty or tier of its drop location, nothing more. You can be a fresh 60, drop $200 and buy yourself an entire Ancient/Draconic set and hit 12k immediately.

It's not an indication of skill, class knowledge, or ability whatsoever. Anyone who gives you the boot based on your GS isn't worth the time you'd spend (more than likely waste) helping them out.

That being said, it's quite obvious when someone doesn't know how to distribute their stats or build properly, but when I used to PUG I'd at least give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until they got themselves killed to kick them. Unless they were Archery HRs... sorry not sorry, that spec BLOWS :D
    codher0 wrote: »
    Have u fried to use your mic?

Be sure to bread it first :rolleyes:
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
  • Options
    r3ppartr3ppart Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I believe if someone meets the required gear score for a dungeon it should be good to go. But you know some people, they take their make believe video game items very seriously.
  • Options
    rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    I'm going to start this off with my stats: I am a Hunter Ranger and i currently have a gs of 8,408.

After being in groups of people who can't work together to kill a final boss and getting kicked from multiple dungeons without knowing why, i decided to go to a T2 dungeon in hopes of getting the gear my NW PC HR has: the Grand Warden set.

I join The Frozen Heart queue and was put with a group of people who are sitting outside the boss area kicking almost everyone. One of the guys there said "leave with your 8k gs" in which i replied, "I'm doing this to get gear -___-" then i get kicked from yet another dungeon, this time, by people who are pre-judging me based on my gs.

Yes i know i'm barely over the minimum gs requirement, and yes i know that will make it harder for my team to win, but it's not impossible. What if i play my class right? What if i know what to do in this dungeon? doesn't matter to them, because 8k gs must mean i suck.

I can empathize with why they don't want any lower gs people, he said so himself "i want to win", however, i don't agree with the fact that you kick someone for low gs, and yet, the dungeon itself should give them gear that increases their gs..

this reminds me a lot with the Well of Dragon's zone chat about lower gs peolpe doing the tiamat battle on NW PC.. but less severe

This reminds me of WoW on several raids. I used to get kicked when I joined with the bare minimum. Most players seem to equate GS with skill when that is not the case. I actually remember hearing of a player in I think it was WoW who topped the PvP charts in nothing but gray, common gear (<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear, junk gear) and not because of his GS/Ilvl but because he knew how to play his class. Players really need to stop investing time in trying to one up each other's GS's and focus on learning the game. That being said I think being able to purchase armor like that should be an option, but make it more beneficial to learn the game than buy the gear to one up others
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This reminds me of WoW on several raids. I used to get kicked when I joined with the bare minimum. Most players seem to equate GS with skill when that is not the case. I actually remember hearing of a player in I think it was WoW who topped the PvP charts in nothing but gray, common gear (<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear, junk gear) and not because of his GS/Ilvl but because he knew how to play his class. Players really need to stop investing time in trying to one up each other's GS's and focus on learning the game. That being said I think being able to purchase armor like that should be an option, but make it more beneficial to learn the game than buy the gear to one up others

well i bought the Grand Warden gear for my HR on PC because i had the AD to buy it off the AH. i don't have nearly as much as my PC toon has on xbox one, so i'm going to grind to get the gear lol (i don't have enough to even get 1 piece of the set on the xbox AH)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    11225412_904246969617552_5690380483641956900_n.jpg?oh=33627d7e2a0df1e4bd6d9b4d2be56db1&oe=55BEDEF8

so far, my toon. got some T1 gear from dungeons in hopes of not having to go through what i did earlier ever again
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    well i bought the Grand Warden gear for my HR on PC because i had the AD to buy it off the AH. i don't have nearly as much as my PC toon has on xbox one, so i'm going to grind to get the gear lol (i don't have enough to even get 1 piece of the set on the xbox AH)

That's because the Xbox version is beyond statement. The prices are insane
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well, i meant in the sense that my HR on PC had a few hundred thousand AD at the time. then i spent it on the gear, then resources to get an artifact weapon bow

my HR on Xbox now only has 10k AD. (i had 50k, but bought a Lesser Dragon's Hoard Enchantment so that i'll save up whatever refinement stones i get before i get an artifact weapon)
  • Options
    marloongmarloong Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2015
    mrtehpuppy wrote: »
    I was actually intending to (and still am) make a post up as to why GS and end game parses are of little meaning and how players seem to be placing FAR too much importance on these numbers. But I'll save the majority of that rant for THAT post, whenever I get around to it.

That said, I feel sorry for you man. It's bull that people feel this way. But I disagree with you on one of your points. You mention your lower GS making it harder on your team. That's not necessarily true in my opinion. IF you know how to play your class and you know how to play it well. IF you know how to spec your classes feats. IF you know how to stack your character stats without going nuts and hitting marks WAY over stat soft caps. You are a valuable asset to your team. Don't let fools like the ones you experienced get to you. If you want my take on it? It's not YOUR GS that's the reason they can't beat the final boss fight. It's their own lack of ability to play their class role during the fight. People have a nasty habit at pointing fingers at everyone in the world but never at themselves.

I have some questions for you about this. How do you find out what "soft caps" your class has? So I am a CW obviously building power and crit primarily. But when do I focus from crit to putting everything into power? (What is the crit soft cap)?
  • Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    marloong wrote: »
    I have some questions for you about this. How do you find out what "soft caps" your class has? So I am a CW obviously building power and crit primarily. But when do I focus from crit to putting everything into power? (What is the crit soft cap)?

Your specific soft cap for the class you're using will vary based upon your build and gear/companions. I recommend giving this guide a read for details on how to properly calculate your own soft cap for crit. Power has no soft cap as it has no diminishing returns. Or you could look up some Mod 5 CW guides and just go with what they tell you too if you don't feel like doing any math.
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    malevolent215malevolent215 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Gear Score Mentality is in almost every MMO, but I will say that so far the Xbox Neverwinter community is the worse I've seen.

I am a CW with a 13.7k GS, High Vizier Set, IronZerg's Ice build, Greater Vorpal, and close to Perfect stat distribution for my GS.

(Including Stone Stats)
    4,900 Power
    3,100 Crit
    2,400 Arm Pen
    2,800 Recovery

1,400 Life Steal

I regularly get kicked from CN and Campaign stuff in favor of a 15k GS CWs who have horrible stat distribution and no Augment Companion (6k pow, 1500 crit, 1k Arm Pen), and they run around using Shield and Entangling Force...

I understand a good portion of the Xbox community is new to MMOs and how this stuff works. My main problem is that so many players are way over-confident, impatient, and stubborn. It really is something that we will just have to wait out and hope it improves overtime though.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Gear Score Mentality is in almost every MMO, but I will say that so far the Xbox Neverwinter community is the worse I've seen.

I am a CW with a 13.7k GS, High Vizier Set, IronZerg's Ice build, Greater Vorpal, and close to Perfect stat distribution for my GS.

(Including Stone Stats)
    4,900 Power
    3,100 Crit
    2,400 Arm Pen
    2,800 Recovery

1,400 Life Steal

I regularly get kicked from CN and Campaign stuff in favor of a 15k GS CWs who have horrible stat distribution and no Augment Companion (6k pow, 1500 crit, 1k Arm Pen), and they run around using Shield and Entangling Force...

I understand a good portion of the Xbox community is new to MMOs and how this stuff works. My main problem is that so many players are way over-confident, impatient, and stubborn. It really is something that we will just have to wait out and hope it improves overtime though.

Agreed...lets hope it improves
  • Options
    blueberry1973blueberry1973 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2015
    That's because the Xbox version is beyond statement. The prices are insane

The group I play with generally kicks people with a gear score over 13k. In our experience the players with a higher gear score are utter garbage. They stand in red, do low dps, cannot heal or tank. The groups I have been in that consisiently complete castle never will have no one over 12.5k gs. When you throw a high gs scrub in the mix we typically have to carry the guy. It gets old.

Best policy is to just kick kids over 13.5k gear score from content. I am not going to waste my time or carry these kids through content.
  • Options
    thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The group I play with generally kicks people with a gear score over 13k. In our experience the players with a higher gear score are utter garbage. They stand in red, do low dps, cannot heal or tank. The groups I have been in that consisiently complete castle never will have no one over 12.5k gs. When you throw a high gs scrub in the mix we typically have to carry the guy. It gets old.

Best policy is to just kick kids over 13.5k gear score from content. I am not going to waste my time or carry these kids through content.
    I don't kick people unless they disconnect, go AFK, or refuse to play as a team, but I totally agree with your basic point. My experience has been like yours in that the people with the really high GS are most often the worst players. To make matter worse, they're also usually rude and/or vulgar and will blame everyone else when they die -- even though everyone else is still alive.

I can't prove it, but I think the high GS, obnoxious, scrubs who can't play are the MLG try-hards from CoD and BF trying their normal run-n-gun/lone wolf tactics in a game requiring real strategy and teamwork. My hope is they'll get tired of losing, blame everyone else, claim the game sucks and leave... hopefully sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I don't kick people unless they disconnect, go AFK, or refuse to play as a team, but I totally agree with your basic point. My experience has been like yours in that the people with the really high GS are most often the worst players. To make matter worse, they're also usually rude and/or vulgar and will blame everyone else when they die -- even though everyone else is still alive.

I can't prove it, but I think the high GS, obnoxious, scrubs who can't play are the MLG try-hards from CoD and BF trying their normal run-n-gun/lone wolf tactics in a game requiring real strategy and teamwork. My hope is they'll get tired of losing, blame everyone else, claim the game sucks and leave... hopefully sooner rather than later.

That is how most dungeons feel with that one player. But yeah this game has more elitist members then any other MMO I've played
  • Options
    obliviouslusterobliviousluster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Here to toss my 2 pennies in the fountain....

So I agree with thezer0flux, and that I normally don't kick players unless they go afk for a substantial time/lose connection and don't reconnect soon/or tend to just pull unneeded aggro. PC replaced gear score with "item level" and from what I can remember it didn't really help the cause... mostly because the elitist attitude was very miniscule in my experience on PC as these "elitists" were often frowned upon, warned to avoid (people would do zone chat and warn others), and usually blocked/blacklisted. The console version is home to the several FPS players and hard-core "clans" from CoD, Destiny, and so forth, so its not surprising that many players on this game carry that behavior with them. Their mentality is definitely poison, and often ruins the game in more ways than one. So what do we do about it? Simple. We strive to become the players that have a standard gear score and work to help lower gear score players. For what its worth, there is nothing wrong with having a high gear score (or low gear score for that matter) in this game as long as you know how to play. The general thought is that anyone who breaks the 14k-15k barrier at this point in normally a pay-2-win player and lacks any actual skill at all. Likewise, lower gear score players tend are believed that they're new and thus wont perform at top expectancy. In both scenarios, the player can improve his/her skill, but higher gear score players tend to act like they're the "top brass" and talk down to everyone else. Just earlier today I was in Rothe Valley and saw a CW with 13.5k gear score wearing unicorn and drake armor...... Sad.

My advice? Stick to having around 12k-13k gear score. Its ideal in that its not high enough to make you look like a chump, and its not low enough that you'll face trouble when running dungeons. I hope to hit a good peak soon and will be able to run dungeons and pick up any (if at all) slack from lower gear scoring players so that they have a chance to become something better.
    Walk on wandering souls
    For your respite we pray
    Let our humble song clear your hearts of dismay,
    Rekindle the flame in your souls and set you free
    So walk on and become the light that guides the way~
  • Options
    edited May 2015

So I agree with thezer0flux, and that I normally don't kick players unless they go afk for a substantial time/lose connection and don't reconnect soon/or tend to just pull unneeded aggro. PC replaced gear score with "item level" and from what I can remember it didn't really help the cause... mostly because the elitist attitude was very miniscule in my experience on PC as these "elitists" were often frowned upon, warned to avoid (people would do zone chat and warn others), and usually blocked/blacklisted. The console version is home to the several FPS players and hard-core "clans" from CoD, Destiny, and so forth, so its not surprising that many players on this game carry that behavior with them. Their mentality is definitely poison, and often ruins the game in more ways than one. So what do we do about it? Simple. We strive to become the players that have a standard gear score and work to help lower gear score players. For what its worth, there is nothing wrong with having a high gear score (or low gear score for that matter) in this game as long as you know how to play. The general thought is that anyone who breaks the 14k-15k barrier at this point in normally a pay-2-win player and lacks any actual skill at all. Likewise, lower gear score players tend are believed that they're new and thus wont perform at top expectancy. In both scenarios, the player can improve his/her skill, but higher gear score players tend to act like they're the "top brass" and talk down to everyone else. Just earlier today I was in Rothe Valley and saw a CW with 13.5k gear score wearing unicorn and drake armor...... Sad.

My advice? Stick to having around 12k-13k gear score. Its ideal in that its not high enough to make you look like a chump, and its not low enough that you'll face trouble when running dungeons. I hope to hit a good peak soon and will be able to run dungeons and pick up any (if at all) slack from lower gear scoring players so that they have a chance to become something better.

Players like you I dont mind running dungeons with.
  • Options
    karmositykarmosity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015

While I have seen the terrible 14k+ pay-to-win players, I myself am at 13.7k with only one artifact(not counting my artifact weapon or belt) and I'm also using one full set of AoW gear and not splitting up 2 different sets just to get the extra 450 GS. And as far as I'm concerned I will see someone with a high GS play before I judge their skill. I myself play with 14k+ and I know none of them are pay to win.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    karmosity wrote: »
    While I have seen the terrible 14k+ pay-to-win players, I myself am at 13.7k with only one artifact(not counting my artifact weapon or belt) and I'm also using one full set of AoW gear and not splitting up 2 different sets just to get the extra 450 GS. And as far as I'm concerned I will see someone with a high GS play before I judge their skill. I myself play with 14k+ and I know none of them are pay to win.

Well for some reason most people tend to equate a high GS with skill. Which is simply not the case with this game being a PTW
  • Options
    azuosed89azuosed89 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    GS is overrated. i think the mentality of the xbox one players are too weak yet compared to the PC games (I always played a GWF) pvp, buiild, and did tons of CNs, and never got kicked, yet here if I try to pug I get instantaneous kicked. GS is not that important or determinant for some classes. For example, GWFs with pvp/tank build do not get a high GS compared to a dps gwf yet doesn't mean that the first is bad compared to the second. GFs for example can get a high GS level but it doesnt mean they can outdps one DPS or even a tank sentinel GWF for example. Bottom line, the game is a month old in xbox one, and the community in xbox has a lot to learn yet.
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
  • Options
    exidon83exidon83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i totally agree with you man i loe the vote to kick option as i am from pc as well and the gs does matter but i will at least give you a shot if u cant play ur low gs toon i will boot u but i have played with high gs ppl that cant play there toon and will boot them just as fast i have seen a lt of low lvl gs toons do better than most of the high lvls simply because they know how to ply there toon but i really think they need to do something to the vote to kick as i was just in CN (castle never) was in from begining and was at final boss when 2 of my group mates left then the 3rd not a problem. im a 14k DC and am very good at my class 1 random joiins has mic sound like he know wat he is doing so we keep 2 randoms join and as soon as they join they try to boot one of us and suceed becuase 1 of us was not paying attention then they boot another and then me just so they can take over the room and none of them over 10k gs they should really make it so that once u have been in dungeon for over like 20mins or something you cannot be booted out as that is the most annoying thing to do all that work from some random jack asses to come in and boot you out so u get none of the rewards.
  • Options
    silktrocitysilktrocity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can easily answer this probably better then most of these responses. Although the GS thing is an issue with randoms (It's currently the easiest way to guage competence without prior experience with the player) That's not entirely your SPECIFIC issue.

Your specific issue is the same issue I had.. You're a Hunter Ranger. UNLESS they are specced a SPECIFIC way, they are TERRIBLE in dungeons. The simple fact is, OTHER CLASSES play the playstyle that Hunters play BETTER.. Does this make sense? You sit back and shoot arrows (ranged attacks)? Control Wizards are better. You wanna rush up and try to DPS with your other stance? Trickster's and GWF's gotcha covered.

It's just the notion that HR are terrible in this game thus far (UNLESS specced specifically which hardly anyone does.)
    Lady Vayo TR - Silky OP - Lord Reven DC (retired) - Lady Luck HR (retired)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    exidon83 wrote: »
    i totally agree with you man i loe the vote to kick option as i am from pc as well and the gs does matter but i will at least give you a shot if u cant play ur low gs toon i will boot u but i have played with high gs ppl that cant play there toon and will boot them just as fast i have seen a lt of low lvl gs toons do better than most of the high lvls simply because they know how to ply there toon but i really think they need to do something to the vote to kick as i was just in CN (castle never) was in from begining and was at final boss when 2 of my group mates left then the 3rd not a problem. im a 14k DC and am very good at my class 1 random joiins has mic sound like he know wat he is doing so we keep 2 randoms join and as soon as they join they try to boot one of us and suceed becuase 1 of us was not paying attention then they boot another and then me just so they can take over the room and none of them over 10k gs they should really make it so that once u have been in dungeon for over like 20mins or something you cannot be booted out as that is the most annoying thing to do all that work from some random jack asses to come in and boot you out so u get none of the rewards.

Honestly in these situations the players who hijack the room need to be given suspensions if not outright bans...it's ******ed. They need to allow the player to have the ability to file a report against it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I want to point out that the Elitist mentality isn't exclusive to the xbox one players or console players for that matter, pc players are also like that. My main example of it: Well of Dragons zone chat on NW PC.... my god, it's almost everyday with people going on about "10k gs people shouldn't be allowed to do tiamat".

at least, that's how i remember t being a couple months ago. i haven't played a lot of NW PC after mod6 and MW Xbox dropped, so i don't know how that zone chat is doing now. i'm afraid to know.. lol
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I can easily answer this probably better then most of these responses. Although the GS thing is an issue with randoms (It's currently the easiest way to guage competence without prior experience with the player) That's not entirely your SPECIFIC issue.

Your specific issue is the same issue I had.. You're a Hunter Ranger. UNLESS they are specced a SPECIFIC way, they are TERRIBLE in dungeons. The simple fact is, OTHER CLASSES play the playstyle that Hunters play BETTER.. Does this make sense? You sit back and shoot arrows (ranged attacks)? Control Wizards are better. You wanna rush up and try to DPS with your other stance? Trickster's and GWF's gotcha covered.

It's just the notion that HR are terrible in this game thus far (UNLESS specced specifically which hardly anyone does.)

Hunter Range is by no means a worthless class. The fastest I've ever killed the DV boss during an epic run was set up with HR/DC/CW(Me)/GF/TR. We fought the brain for not even 10 minutes and it died because the HR was Archery specific. Granted- Trapper is by far the best paragon path for HR due to its ability to rotate skills in succession constantly, but the other paths have their values as well. Archery: stack armor pen./crit/recovery. Pros? Keep your distance, able to kill without taking too much damage (if tank availble). Cons? Pretty skimpy when enemies get close and personal with you... Melee (I forgot its name): stack power/lifesteal/def. Pros? Can perform buffs and dish out fair damage allowing your team to overwhelm the foes. Cons? Lacks a bit of skill output damage- cant really do damage with your skills when they're buffing now can you? Trapper: stack armor pen/crit/power/recovery. Pros: The best by far. An overwhelming (and tiring) set that allows for continuous damage output with rotation of abilities. Cons? Requires careful handy-work and constant switching between melee/range skills- not for the slow handed!

What I'm saying is, each class shines on its own accord, and there is a strategy for every dungeon with every set up imaginable! If I'm running CN/DR with a setup of CW/GF/DC/GWF(or TR/SW)/ and a HR.. I'm not going to be DPS. I am gonna try to control crowds and maintain the mobs whilst hoping that nothing new spawns on the HR/extra DPS. HR can shoot afar and can be one less player the DC needs to worry about as long as I do my job, and the tank (whether its GF or GWF) does theirs. I can say though that there are quite a number of players who seem to be at a loss as to how their class works (and not just HR, but for all classes), and I encourage players to check the forums here or elsewhere for insight as to what they wanna do and stick with a guide.

Furthermore, I do agree with azuossed89(?) in that a player's class style does affect his/her gear score. Additionally, I meant no offense, karmosity when I said that players with higher gear score tend to be weaker players. I was simply implying that a vast majority of players that tend to have higher gear score are often the pay-2-win players, who thus lack skills or knowledge of dungeons and how their class works. My example I gave in my previous post targeted this specifically and meant no harm to you personally. I apologize if you took offense.
    Walk on wandering souls
    For your respite we pray
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    wait, so i as Archery HR, i don't build Power/Crit/Armor Pen? have i been doing this all wrong? o.O"
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    wait, so i as Archery HR, i don't build Power/Crit/Armor Pen? have i been doing this all wrong? o.O"
    Power normally comes from gear/boons alone. With gear/boons you'll probably hit 2k-3k power easily. If that's not the case, then yeah, go ahead and stack some extra power. Most guides are built with the ideal set in mind and power typically comes from most of their gear choices (berserker's ring of cleaving for example + artifact belt...etc). So Power- contradictory to all superhero movies...- is rather easy to obtain (more so for some classes). The idea in-of-itself for stacking armor pen./crit/recovery is so that your timers are as low as they can be so that you can reuse skills to stop enemies from approaching.

Basically its like this: Archery path- Power 2k-3k. Armor Pen. 2.5k (at least, I think it maxes out at like 3.5k..don't quote me on that...). Crit. Strike 2k-3k. Recovery 2k (at least).

Notes*: HR have low def so many often hang back and just fire away~ The recovery with the setup of critical strikes + armor penetration is supposedly good enough to knock foes down in 2-3 skills. A very good path to follow for dungeons that require "out of the way" dps like Dread Vault and Castle Never. Throne of Idris is also nice, and Temple of Spider isn't so bad so long as you avoid being in the sights of the blade masters...

Melee path: Power 4k-5k. Life Steal 2k-3k. Defense 2k (at least). Crit. Strike 2k.

Notes*: Again, the whole low def thing makes HR squishy like CW. Most players see this set up as pvp since you'll use AoE melee strikes and buffs. Combined with the amount of Power and Life Steal as well chance for Critical Strikes and you have a self-serving DPS that can hold a point against a couple melees, but sucks against other ranged units. Not widely used in pve simply because it lacks the output of damage.

Trapper: Power 2k-3k. Armor Pen. 2k-3k. Crit. Strike 2.5k. Life Steal 1k.. (not really a necessity...). Recovery 2k (some people say around 3k...). Defense 1.5k (pretty moderate).

Notes*: The best of both worlds. Definitely a tricky way to go but incredibly useful when you get the hang of it. Lots of talk about this one, especially towards the stats!!! Some players think power should hit 4k and armor pen should be at 3.5k and to hell with the rest... Others feels their recovery timers aren't up to par and thus say to stack recovery higher while throwing life steal under the bus... Some people think to just go with whatever power you acquire and stack crit strike/ armor pen to make up for it. Lots of talk about this, LOTS OF TALK!!! I just gave a generic example of what many use. Please don't turn this thread into an argument about Trapper path! I was only mentioning it as example!

So yeah, lots of HRs out there, and someone of more knowledge than I regarding setups will (hopefully) come along and help you out even further! Haha....
    Walk on wandering souls
    For your respite we pray
  • Options
    whiskeybentwhiskeybent Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've recently played with total scrubs who had 13-14k gearscores - it's an arbitrary number assigned to each item that gets higher based on the difficulty or tier of its drop location, nothing more. You can be a fresh 60, drop $200 and buy yourself an entire Ancient/Draconic set and hit 12k immediately.

It's not an indication of skill, class knowledge, or ability whatsoever. Anyone who gives you the boot based on your GS isn't worth the time you'd spend (more than likely waste) helping them out.

That being said, it's quite obvious when someone doesn't know how to distribute their stats or build properly, but when I used to PUG I'd at least give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until they got themselves killed to kick them. Unless they were Archery HRs... sorry not sorry, that spec BLOWS :D

Be sure to bread it first :rolleyes:

While isee your point on the GS part, i highly disagree on the HR archer part, i run one myself, and if done right can be a very valuable asset