Install Arc
Options

The Gearscore Mentality

2»

Comments

• Options
    tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Power normally comes from gear/boons alone. With gear/boons you'll probably hit 2k-3k power easily. If that's not the case, then yeah, go ahead and stack some extra power. Most guides are built with the ideal set in mind and power typically comes from most of their gear choices (berserker's ring of cleaving for example + artifact belt...etc). So Power- contradictory to all superhero movies...- is rather easy to obtain (more so for some classes). The idea in-of-itself for stacking armor pen./crit/recovery is so that your timers are as low as they can be so that you can reuse skills to stop enemies from approaching.

Basically its like this: Archery path- Power 2k-3k. Armor Pen. 2.5k (at least, I think it maxes out at like 3.5k..don't quote me on that...). Crit. Strike 2k-3k. Recovery 2k (at least).

Notes*: HR have low def so many often hang back and just fire away~ The recovery with the setup of critical strikes + armor penetration is supposedly good enough to knock foes down in 2-3 skills. A very good path to follow for dungeons that require "out of the way" dps like Dread Vault and Castle Never. Throne of Idris is also nice, and Temple of Spider isn't so bad so long as you avoid being in the sights of the blade masters...

Melee path: Power 4k-5k. Life Steal 2k-3k. Defense 2k (at least). Crit. Strike 2k.

Notes*: Again, the whole low def thing makes HR squishy like CW. Most players see this set up as pvp since you'll use AoE melee strikes and buffs. Combined with the amount of Power and Life Steal as well chance for Critical Strikes and you have a self-serving DPS that can hold a point against a couple melees, but sucks against other ranged units. Not widely used in pve simply because it lacks the output of damage.

Trapper: Power 2k-3k. Armor Pen. 2k-3k. Crit. Strike 2.5k. Life Steal 1k.. (not really a necessity...). Recovery 2k (some people say around 3k...). Defense 1.5k (pretty moderate).

Notes*: The best of both worlds. Definitely a tricky way to go but incredibly useful when you get the hang of it. Lots of talk about this one, especially towards the stats!!! Some players think power should hit 4k and armor pen should be at 3.5k and to hell with the rest... Others feels their recovery timers aren't up to par and thus say to stack recovery higher while throwing life steal under the bus... Some people think to just go with whatever power you acquire and stack crit strike/ armor pen to make up for it. Lots of talk about this, LOTS OF TALK!!! I just gave a generic example of what many use. Please don't turn this thread into an argument about Trapper path! I was only mentioning it as example!

So yeah, lots of HRs out there, and someone of more knowledge than I regarding setups will (hopefully) come along and help you out even further! Haha....

so if i want to hit those stats, i need not aim for the Grand Warden set? hmmm
  • Options
    arlequin13arlequin13 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly gear score does not equal skill..... So many things will factor into how usefull you will be besides gear score. Your weapon enchants, armor enchants, augment companion all count for nothing in your gear score but a perfect vorpal and a maxed out augment companion will drasticaly increase your power.

That being said i can barely do random t2 in the queue because i get insta booted either because im a ranger or because they have a ranger.
  • Options
    marloongmarloong Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2015
    The Gear Score Mentality is in almost every MMO, but I will say that so far the Xbox Neverwinter community is the worse I've seen.

I am a CW with a 13.7k GS, High Vizier Set, IronZerg's Ice build, Greater Vorpal, and close to Perfect stat distribution for my GS.

(Including Stone Stats)
    4,900 Power
    3,100 Crit
    2,400 Arm Pen
    2,800 Recovery

1,400 Life Steal

I regularly get kicked from CN and Campaign stuff in favor of a 15k GS CWs who have horrible stat distribution and no Augment Companion (6k pow, 1500 crit, 1k Arm Pen), and they run around using Shield and Entangling Force...

I understand a good portion of the Xbox community is new to MMOs and how this stuff works. My main problem is that so many players are way over-confident, impatient, and stubborn. It really is something that we will just have to wait out and hope it improves overtime though.

what is wrong the entagling force?! If you have the buff that gives allies 5% dmg when you use a control power especially...? Sorry I'm still new
  • Options
    malevolent215malevolent215 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    marloong wrote: »
    what is wrong the entagling force?! If you have the buff that gives allies 5% dmg when you use a control power especially...? Sorry I'm still new

In general absolutely nothing, Entangling Force is a fantastic control power for PvP, solo play, and leveling. It is also very useful in a lot of very specific Dungeon situations (Dread Vault). When in group Dungeon or Skirmish clearing play it isn't that great. CCing one mob isn't that useful when we have the ability to CC all mobs. When placed on the RB button it gains a great extra ability for grouping, but again CWs have a lot better options such as Conduit of Ice.
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Gear score is a blessing and a curse. If used as intended its a necessary evil. If I don't know you or how good you are at the game, the only thing I have to go on is your gear, which is a measurement of potential effectiveness. A problem does arise when pugging because people are pricks. I tend to run only with guildies and there's usually 3 of us. It makes the experience so much better. If you don't have one make sure you join one that fits your playsryle and attitude.

My guild Alliance of Faerun is a more laid back social guild. We have people of all playstyles but most of us are going for gear and dungeon progression. If you or anyone else reading this is interested send me a message in game or on Xbox live Chidy1776. Well accept almost anybody but were a mature for fun guild so if you conflict with that you might not stay long.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    chidy1776 wrote: »
    Gear score is a blessing and a curse. If used as intended its a necessary evil. If I don't know you or how good you are at the game, the only thing I have to go on is your gear, which is a measurement of potential effectiveness. A problem does arise when pugging because people are pricks. I tend to run only with guildies and there's usually 3 of us. It makes the experience so much better. If you don't have one make sure you join one that fits your playsryle and attitude.

My guild Alliance of Faerun is a more laid back social guild. We have people of all playstyles but most of us are going for gear and dungeon progression. If you or anyone else reading this is interested send me a message in game or on Xbox live Chidy1776. Well accept almost anybody but were a mature for fun guild so if you conflict with that you might not stay long.

I didn't have the plan to join a guild, but i'll keep yours' in mind.
    I want to see what i need to make myself a better HR because apparently, from what that one guy said i should have to be effective, i may need to re-plan some specs and future gear lol (don't worry, i have intentions of better-ing myself as a HR, but not have to spend a lot money unless i have to)
  • Options
    rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    marloong wrote: »

Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you can actually talk in complete sentences? Yet you troll the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?921231-Stop-this-from-happening-anymore!/page3
  • Options
    marloongmarloong Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2015
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you can actually talk in complete sentences? Yet you troll the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?921231-Stop-this-from-happening-anymore!/page3

That is a broken link? Maybe you have me confused with someone else lol?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I will be attempting a T2 dungeon tomorrow (err today?). if i get kicked again for a gs reason (i doubt i will now..), i'll continue Lair of the Mad Dragon for my Helmet to finish my armor set lol
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The problem won't stop, because 90% of those kicking do not search the forums.

Most of us here know what's going on, not to kick, not to be a total ******* about things... But it's the CoD generation that we have to worry about (CoD, too, is my choice of FPS (I just don't chat with those players) so perhaps I do something to rustle them, like they do us?)
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jjb828 wrote: »
    The problem won't stop, because 90% of those kicking do not search the forums.

Most of us here know what's going on, not to kick, not to be a total ******* about things... But it's the CoD generation that we have to worry about (CoD, too, is my choice of FPS (I just don't chat with those players) so perhaps I do something to rustle them, like they do us?)

You may be right. but i'm hoping a higher gs will allow me to be chosen less to be kicked
  • Options
    xxamaraxxxxamaraxx Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yea just hit 12k gs last night e.e might attempt to pop in a cn....too chicken tho been scarred w the boot to my face too many times before T.T