test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are rogues so violently overpowered in PvP?

xomnifariousxxomnifariousx Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvP Discussion
Yes, I am indeed mad. Every class I encounter, I have a nice, long, balanced battle. Even when going guardian fighter against control wizard. All the powers are balanced more or less, and do little damage... And then we have the rouge... The guy who can dodge all encounter powers, go invisible, teleport, and one shot anyone who's not a guardian fighter... How did this make it past Q&A? I have to frantically fight for my life, to barely even hurt a rouge as my Warlock, Hunter, and Guardian classes. I can win a 1 on 1 no problem against any other class.

Even when using my own stealth abilities and healing potions as a hunter, using all 6 encounter powers one right after another, I barely take 1/4th of his health, that is, if they even hit in the first place, it's no use. Even as my guardian, specced fully for defense, he takes half of my health, and stun locks me with his moves. Killing me in a single encounter. Even if I'm lucky enough to get off one of my encounter moves, it almost always gets "dodged" by him...

I was even hiding up on a pillar once, that had no way up, and suddenly I got one shot by that giant sword through the back power, and a rouge de-cloaks over my body doing that infuriating hopy dance thing they do over my dead body... I've watched single rouges take out entire teams... This one time, we had three clerics, a guardian, and me, a Warlock, specced fully for damage, and it was just a slaughter. That rouge went from guy to guy like an assassin in AC doing a kill combo, one shotting all of us...

The only way I've seen a rouge taken down, was by three great weapon users in a triange around him hammering on him with that power that makes them grow bigger. He managed to kill 2, and put the third to 1/3 health before dying however.....
Post edited by ambisinisterr on

Comments

• krad777krad777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't worry, there will be a bunch of "pro" rogues replying soon letting you know what you're doing wrong, to learn your class, get better gear blah blah etc. cause every Rouge just so happens to be a pro in pvp and everyone who struggles against TR's are just improperly built or "nubs"
    "An Idle mind is the devils workshop"
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I am indeed mad. Every class I encounter, I have a nice, long, balanced battle. Even when going guardian fighter against control wizard. All the powers are balanced more or less, and do little damage... And then we have the rouge... The guy who can dodge all encounter powers, go invisible, teleport, and one shot anyone who's not a guardian fighter... How did this make it past Q&A? I have to frantically fight for my life, to barely even hurt a rouge as my Warlock, Hunter, and Guardian classes. I can win a 1 on 1 no problem against any other class.

Even when using my own stealth abilities and healing potions as a hunter, using all 6 encounter powers one right after another, I barely take 1/4th of his health, that is, if they even hit in the first place, it's no use. Even as my guardian, specced fully for defense, he takes half of my health, and stun locks me with his moves. Killing me in a single encounter. Even if I'm lucky enough to get off one of my encounter moves, it almost always gets "dodged" by him...

I was even hiding up on a pillar once, that had no way up, and suddenly I got one shot by that giant sword through the back power, and a rouge de-cloaks over my body doing that infuriating hopy dance thing they do over my dead body... I've watched single rouges take out entire teams... This one time, we had three clerics, a guardian, and me, a Warlock, specced fully for damage, and it was just a slaughter. That rouge went from guy to guy like an assassin in AC doing a kill combo, one shotting all of us...

The only way I've seen a rouge taken down, was by three great weapon users in a triange around him hammering on him with that power that makes them grow bigger. He managed to kill 2, and put the third to 1/3 health before dying however.....

Care to post a picture of your character page? I'm very curious what your Tenacity is.
  • xomnifariousxxomnifariousx Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    munkey81 wrote: »
    Care to post a picture of your character page? I'm very curious what your Tenacity is.
    My what now?
    edited April 2015
    My what now?

The page showing what your gear looks like, and the second page showing your stats.

If you are in 60 PvP and have little to no Tenacity, you are going to get hit extremely hard.

Stats of importance in PvP are: Health, Tenacity, Defense, Deflect >other
  • xomnifariousxxomnifariousx Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The page showing what your gear looks like, and the second page showing your stats.

If you are in 60 PvP and have little to no Tenacity, you are going to get hit extremely hard.

Stats of importance in PvP are: Health, Tenacity, Defense, Deflect >other
    I must have a pretty high one then. Because everyone but a rouge barely hurts me. Even with their ultimates. It's just the rouges. They come in, out of nowhere, and one shot me, and everyone else.
    edited April 2015
    I must have a pretty high one then. Because everyone but a rouge barely hurts me. Even with their ultimates. It's just the rouges. They come in, out of nowhere, and one shot me, and everyone else.

I think your missing my point.

If your tenacity was high..you wouldn't be getting one shot. Depending on how much you are debuffed of course changes things.

My tenacity is 1,052 for example. That gives me a 24% innate damage, crit strike, control resist negation bonus in PvP. Add in your defensive stats(the %), as well as Deflect % and high health pool.. It will be a very rare occasion of getting one shot.
  • j0kerspsychoj0kerspsycho Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2015

If your tenacity was high..you wouldn't be getting one shot. Depending on how much you are debuffed of course changes things.

My tenacity is 1,052 for example. That gives me a 24% innate damage, crit strike, control resist negation bonus in PvP. Add in your defensive stats(the %), as well as Deflect % and high health pool.. It will be a very rare occasion of getting one shot.
    Do u know when diminishing returns starts effecting tenacity? Tho I'm sure it wont matter much, but would prefer using a artifact bow she I get it over pvp so was wondering if it would be that detrimental.
    krad777 wrote: »
    Don't worry, there will be a bunch of "pro" rogues replying soon letting you know what you're doing wrong, to learn your class, get better gear blah blah etc. cause every Rouge just so happens to be a pro in pvp and everyone who struggles against TR's are just improperly built or "nubs"

Actually it usually is a "L2P issue" that n gear. Learning a classes abilities helps u beat them along with knowing ur own classes limits. Plus tenacity does help a lot n u kinda need it to pvp or ur going to run into a tr/hr/cw that melts u faster than u can turn around. I no for me when I finally learned my class I was able to eat most rogues on my trapper huntard
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
    edited April 2015
    Do u know when diminishing returns starts effecting tenacity? Tho I'm sure it wont matter much, but would prefer using a artifact bow she I get it over pvp so was wondering if it would be that detrimental.

Actually it usually is a "L2P issue" that n gear. Learning a classes abilities helps u beat them along with knowing ur own classes limits. Plus tenacity does help a lot n u kinda need it to pvp or ur going to run into a tr/hr/cw that melts u faster than u can turn around. I no for me when I finally learned my class I was able to eat most rogues on my trapper huntard

I'm not 100% sure, anyone else reading feel free to answer if you know. But I believe, 98% sure, that there is no DR when it comes to Tenacity. Its Innate, and constant.

Defense and deflect however, are effected by a form of DR, as in hard-caps for the negative % that a debuff can degrade your character.

People were asking for lesser dmg dealt in PvP, I believe Tenacity was their answer. I also think that you have a 10%(?)dmg reduction anyway, without having Tenacity, cant remember the exact % however.
  • elysium1993elysium1993 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2015
    Definitely a L2P issue, as a TR if you don't keep a TR in check they will literally have free reign over the field. I've met great trappers and Control wizards that have prevented me from gaining capture points and slaughtering everyone. I've also been in other games where people just didn't pay enough attention to me that I and other rogues would take advantage of to win the game. Every class has its strengths and weaknesses, obviously that's for the players to learn and figure out
    Elysiana Deveraux

Tenacity
    edited April 2015

Oh you don't have to explain that information to me, I'm well aware on how pvp works in this game. Thanks though.
  • gatorfanaticgatorfanatic Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I might as well go roll a TR. That's the only class anyone is playing. Last 3 games I have played the other team has had 3
  • fukiiyufukiiyu Member Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I might as well go roll a TR. That's the only class anyone is playing. Last 3 games I have played the other team has had 3

Can't beat em', then join em'!! HAHAH
  • fukiiyufukiiyu Member Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    That rouge went from guy to guy like an assassin in AC doing a kill combo, one shotting all of us...

If your whole team got killed by a TR using a 20 second cool down encounter then you need to re-roll your characters.
    edited April 2015
    fukiiyu wrote: »
    Can't beat em', then join em'!! HAHAH

That seems to be the theme going on lol.
  • zaknafyenzaknafyen Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This is why PVP in MMOs is greatly unbalanced. In order to get enough Glory to effectively afford even T1 PVP Gear, you need to solely be running PVP and hope your team Wins more often than not (even with Silver Enchantments, running Glory% Boosts in your Utility slots, it's still not enough). The cost for T1 PVP gear is too high, which makes gaining that Tenacity rating ridiculously. I believe the cheapest piece is 3,500 Glory, while a loss was netting me 120 Glory and that was with the free Glory boost item you receive when you hit Level 60. I have no idea what a Win nets as I've never won a match, except for Pre-Level 60.

Pre-Level 60 PVP was actually fun and I was always on top, but that was always with a range classes that allowed me to DPS, while staying away from TRs and other range. Further, it also seems like PVP was a bit more balanced (all during Level 20-25) since most players, at that level, didn't have all the Feats and Paragon Cap Stones you have at Level 60.

Now, throw Tenacity out the window. 1v1, I can take on any class as a GWF (except for CW, soooooooooo much CC at low CD timers!) Every match I got into, the other team was made of with the following:

Match 1: 3 TRs and 2 DCs
    Match 2: 2 TRs, 1 SW and 1 CW
    Match 3: 2 TRs, 2 DCs and 1 HR

Now, my team was made up of (two were my friends):

Match 1: 1 GF, 2 GWF, 1 HR and 1 DC
    Match 2: 1 GF, 2 GWF, 1 SW and 1 CW
    Match 3: 1 GF, 3 GWF, 1 DC

Matchmaking in this game is obviously horrible, even more so in PVP. I know my class and I know what Encounters, At-Wills and Class Features are better in PVP vs PVE, however. I can read any amount of "How-To-PVP" guides, but it doesn't change the fact that PVP needs a lot more balancing.
  • mizzou0mizzou0 Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2015
    PVP gear is not hard to obtain. I got all of the T1 gear over a weekend. That was all 100% pugs before I joined a pvp guild.
    MIZZOU
    Control Wizard
  • thormadn3ssthormadn3ss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rogues are strong but meh they r not all that, I run a sw and do very well vs all classes. The only time i have issues is when there r 2 healers ona team, then the other team become gods and cant die do to the OP HEALS.

so to break it down rogues r strong but not really that OP

HEALZ break pvp lol, when games end in pretty much single digit kills because both teams have 2 healers it becomes a snooze fest

-meow
  • zaknafyenzaknafyen Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only time I have an issue is 1v1 with a CW (playing as a GWF) or any other class that is paired up with a healer. Without a healer, I'm generally doing pretty good. However, healers in any MMO PvP setting have always been a "make it or break it" situation.
  • ueturuetur Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Right now the Tenacity equation really favors TR because of the Glory mechanic. A TR has the ability to earn more glory than any other class. As they level up their ability to gain kills and back cap while avoiding combat means on average they earn more glory. By earning more glory they get to buy better PVP gear faster. This allows them to be even more effective and earn more glory thus continuing to earn better gear.

Once the player base hits a better Tenacity level we can judge the situation a little easier. However I know I am really hesitant to PVP right now because as a Warlock it isn't fun which is a viscous cycle because why would I ever start?
  • thormadn3ssthormadn3ss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    meh i runa SW in pvp and i top the charts or close to the top in both kills and score alot of the time. So dont be to worried i mean sure some rogues the good ones make it hell at times but they r few.

-meow
  • lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've watched single rouges take out entire teams...
    'Cuz the dinosaurs dude.

This one time...
    It doesn't end 'at band camp' does it? ;)
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • toporoktoporok Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Qu
    ote Originally Posted by xomnifariousx View Post

I've watched single rouges take out entire teams...

My pug team late last night played a premade Tenacity team, a single rogue held off our entire team from taking back our base node, if he wasn't one shotting people from stealth he was dodging all attacks in the extremely short time he was unstealthed, when we finally could hit him he just jumped off the ramp stealthed , rinse and repeat the entire game. Best burst damage best CC, best stealth, give them healing and get it over with ,oh wait can you drink pots from stealth?
  • muttonmunchingmuttonmunching Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have played all 3 forms of rogues, and I am going to have to disagree with both executioner rogues and perma-stealth rogues being violently overpowered, though the high-stealth build is hard to pin down, they cannot do a lot without losing stealth and are quite easily killed upon getting one or two CCs on them. Executioners are a hit or miss class, if they hit, you are probably toast, but if they miss or get reflected (Which is way more common than you may believe) than they don't have enough sustained damage to win a fight, and have to wait the 20 second cooldown before they can come and try again. I do personally believe that scoundrels are ridiculously OP, if properly played they can basically perma-stun anyone (6 sec stun off the bat, free half the time daze from concussive strikes, that with dazing strike + smoke bomb legitimately dazes for days vs any class, with the only classes with even a hope of counterplay are MI TRs, or GWFs, even then it is easy to dodge and re stealth with proper feats.) As a scoundrel I am able to essentially last against almost the entire team, simply by repeatedly dazing and stealthing until help arrives, or I get harassed down after a few rounds of unstealthing.

Executioners (Common) Have counterplay, and perma stealth are only good in PvE, Scoundrels are the real problems IMO, as a lesser flaming enchant gives them a guaranteed 6 sec stun on any ability.
  • mizzou0mizzou0 Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2015
    TR's are strong but you were also playing against one that way out geared you, and is a good player. He has a tleast at 12-13k gear score in full pvp gear I would guess.
    TR's are strong but they are not near as bad once you gear and spec correctly as people make them out to be. I would actually rather fight a TR than a DPS cleric.
    MIZZOU
    Control Wizard
  • leg3nd831leg3nd831 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ^ This

TR's are very powerful.. especially when you lack defense stats to make you live through the initial burst. This is largely why they seem so overpowered - because the game is still new and many people lack gear. TR's can be countered by Clerics, HRs, and CWs if geared and played correctly.
    [PC] Buds <Lemonade Stand> - Trickster Rogue
    [Xbox] Skill <Iron Lotus> - Trickster Rogue
  • waffennachtwaffennacht Member Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    They are over powered. Either because of the stats or how easy to make a good TR is. Everyone says learn your class, but not TR. This means TR is inherently easier to win with.
    Why does everyone complain bout them? There is a reason.
    You made the TR to ease to make good while all other classes need a lot of work to deal with TR.
    If it wasnt OP we would never even have the discussion. Just like like u never see "God that Ranger is just too hard to win against!"
  • lunchablelunchable Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cough* I have 15k ;)
  • caperonncaperonn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hunters can be absolutely just....sick. I am a TR, but the best fights i have are with geared trapper hunters. TR have a lot of stuns and can go invis, but being rooted multiple times while taking DOT is crushing.

I play both classes and I can't decide which is better. Hunters crush when there are a lot of people fighting over one flag with AOE and they also just mutilate people with their roots as single target.

Also, the friends I make on this game are almost always hunters because we compliment each other when fighting together. We also typically fight for most kills. I'd take a hunter any day as a pvp partner.
  • caperonncaperonn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    leg3nd831 wrote: »
    ^ This

TR's are very powerful.. especially when you lack defense stats to make you live through the initial burst. This is largely why they seem so overpowered - because the game is still new and many people lack gear. TR's can be countered by Clerics, HRs, and CWs if geared and played correctly.

I think this about sums it up... Many Pvpers play TR and they gear up for PVP. IF you are not geared you just cant survive the burst damage. I am a TR but I keep over 37k in hit points. I would recommend every class do the same.

If you don't have gear I will just 1-2 shot kill you, but that just doesn't happen against geared players.
  • dreamerusadreamerusa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Even with 1213 tenacity, rogues still can put some nasty burst down on my CW, but generally speaking I can usually escape and make a fight of it at the very least. So at this point rogues are'nt as frustrating as they were when I was gearing up. My problem with rogues really comes with everything leading up to the point of being geared. They basicly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on anything up until you're geared. One or two shotting clothies and pretty much anything non-plate, going toe to toe with a GWF which is just ridiculous beyond comprhension. I'm not sure what to do about it but it is a pretty shotty design to let one class reign supreme from the time you can start pvp'ing all the way til you're level 60 and starting the gear grind. Which makes it easier for them to gear up, get kills and run roughshod even more until you catch up in gear. And because of this you almost always have two TR's on a team just exasberating the situation. They are way over represented in pvp.