test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DC DPS in mod 6

nightwisper77nightwisper77 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
So, if in theory, a DC wanted to be dps cleric (righteous), and take a dps slot instead of a healer slot, would they be rejected or are all dcs forced into a role (faithful or virtuous) that they might not like? My main has been righteous for a long time, i fell in love with it and never want to change it...but with all this talk about how DC's will be forced to be faithful to keep up with the increased damage we take, I wonder will righteous Dc's be denied party slots?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you wanted to dps you should've go something other instead of DC. Since m6 requires a lot more healing so if players will seek for DC it will be because they need heals not dps.
  • drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Even in PvP :)
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
  • nightwisper77nightwisper77 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The thing is, I played my dps DC that way before mod 6 so rudely decided to say I cant do that, I was hoping it wouldn't come to it, I like DC's play style, I liked how she did the dmg more than any other class, so no, if I wanted to do dps I wouldn't play another class I would play the class I love and make it work to do what I want. but mod 6 says no. Lol. personally I dont see a problem in having 2 dcs in a party, one to do dps and debuff as righteous DOES have helpful debuffs which would increase everyones dps as well, and a faithful dc, but meh..maybe thats just me finding it to be total bs that we are forced after all this time to CHANGE, like not even giving us a choice, change or be rejected xD terrible as hell.
  • cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just play how you enjoy to, if people start dieing, oh well, tough luck for them. You can still throw some emergency healing around pretty good.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cococya wrote: »
    Just play how you enjoy to, if people start dieing, oh well, tough luck for them. You can still throw some emergency healing around pretty good.

Bad advice. The TS should tell the group he joins that he is a DPS traited DC before the run starts. Or he can start his own group and recruit a tank and healer.
  • dirtydoodledirtydoodle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm righteous currently but intend to change with the free respecs once I hit 70. Righteous is just a leveling path in my eyes useless for dungeons and PvP.

Or do what kurtb88 said.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Again, again, again. If you want DPS, go make a TR or something.

If you want a DC, be prepared to be a support class.. healing/buffing/debuffing.

There is more to this game than DPS. Yeah, my GWF can dish out some AMAZING DPS while he tanks mob of adds. Great utility damage dude.

My DC, on the other hand, while yes, she can do pretty significant damage, is more than content to stand 80' back and toss heals/buffs/debuffs for the party (or anyone involved), all while laying the smack-down on baddies. In skirmishes, she consistently ranks first for "points healed" and somewhere in the middle for "damage".

There is no need for a DC to come out of a skirmish with anything less than 300k-400k points healed.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its possible to heal as righteous, but its all active and will still require you to remove all your pretty dps rotations in favor of at least a mitigation/healing one. After you do that, its not like your really playing dps anymore.

Its not surprising, this feedback was given on preview forums. Sure some groups wont need your healing, some will.

What you really lose healing wise at that point is the passives, both other lines, offer some powerful ones, and righteouss is all debuffing.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you mainly want to run Dungeons with your Righteous DC, expect antipathy. For soloing my RiDO is sweet and viable enough so far.

I'll stay with that until maybe in the midterm future Dungeons start offering worthwhile rewards again... ...got my PvP gear, don't really need Daggy-Seals.

I'm playing to have fun, not to follow other people's stereotype schemes. Not being liked in anyway rather futile dungeon runs is a price I gladly pay.

Counter-question: Will those people who insist on DCs being primarily healers help you through your dailies??? Or farm BI with you???
    edited April 2015
    With all due respect instynctive, you are titled to your opinion,but what you believe is not law so stop getting mad when a healer wants to be dps, there are certain situations where you want to be mad and others where you should understand. I have mained healers in many games, so I know how to support. BUT, you know what the beauty about being given different paths in mmos? THE OPTION TO CHOOSE, the option to take a class you love and shape it into something you love more, idc if im a dc, idc if a dc is "supposed to support". You do realise there are such things as off healers right? Ones that work to support BY doing dps because their skills debuff and weaken mobs therefore tripling party dps, Yeah? thats righteous...and if we are given that choice we **** should be able to make it. Dont mistake me for the idiot that jumps into a party as righteous and expects to be the main healer, recruit a main healer and be done with that, theres no problem..and if you see a problem with it, then well, maybe you, and a lot of other people need to open their eyes and realise that in many games, that class that is a "healer" can do other **** besides heal, and you dont dictate what a person loves or should play by telling them to go pick a dps class, I love DC, I like her as a dps more than others..debuffing while buffing, the dots, its what I love. So yeah, no I wont play a TR sorry >:D
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Blah blah blah

Yes, feel free to do whatever you want.

Responsible players understand that when the choose a class that there is a specific job that goes along with it. I've never kicked anyone from a party, but if there's a DC in the group, and my GWF isn't constantly covered in little green plus signs, and I don't see any astral sheilds or if there is nothing buffing me or debuffing the monster(s), then yeah, I would think pretty hard about kicking that DC.

It's no different than taking in CW just to watch them fighting single bad guys at a time.

So yes, by all means, play your character the way you want. However, you have given up the right to ***** about being excluded from parties, especially now that healing and buffs are in such high demand.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
    edited April 2015
    [...]
    So yes, by all means, play your character the way you want. However, you have given up the right to ***** about being excluded from parties, especially now that healing and buffs are in such high demand.

No here's some thing to think about:

Apart from buffing and being better at debuffing, all the DoT the Rigtheous get also keeps the debuffs up really welll...
    edited April 2015
    Exactly, Righteous DC is not a healer, are you too stuck up judging people for how they play to notice that they are not the main healer nor should be required, all the answers i've gotten so far except yours instynctive have been respectful and helpful. Why so hostile? Lol. Righteous DC is a support, not a healer, oh and FYI, righteous DC is the best "buffer" of the dcs, the other 2 are healbots basicly, so ye, get out of your corner and recognize that, I don't need to ***** about not being accepted, it seems I will because righteous is still very desirable in parties, and NOTHING stops anyone from having a heal dc+ a debuffing dc in the party. And as I said, there is nothing wrong with that.
  • b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Exactly, Righteous DC is not a healer, are you too stuck up judging people for how they play to notice that they are not the main healer nor should be required, all the answers i've gotten so far except yours instynctive have been respectful and helpful. Why so hostile? Lol. Righteous DC is a support, not a healer, oh and FYI, righteous DC is the best "buffer" of the dcs, the other 2 are healbots basicly, so ye, get out of your corner and recognize that, I don't need to ***** about not being accepted, it seems I will because righteous is still very desirable in parties, and NOTHING stops anyone from having a heal dc+ a debuffing dc in the party. And as I said, there is nothing wrong with that.

I play DPS DC.. I love my DC.. and have to respec once I finish the Vil stuff.. I heal just fine in dungeons.. I could be a better healer. but at the end of the day.. I've found people don't protect me like they should.. so I have to protect myself at times.. and that DPS comes in handy..

If you don't enjoy playing with / how you want to play.. whats the point? there will always be someone unhappy with something..
  • mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What I wish they would do in this game they did in another (yes WoW of which I hate..it's just the one thing they did right). It's duel speccing. If they would do that one small thing, it would let every class have a huge customization option and make many classes more utilizable.

Like another poster pointed out, in solo mode a Righteous DC is the way to go, you can get enough heals and the occasional potion to stay up in most fights, and your DPS is increased so your dailies don't actually take all day :) But in solo mode a none righteous, dps is so low that it does take twice as long to get done as it need be, yes the mobs never truly threaten you, but you kill so slow it is like watching ice melt.

Is the player that insists you go nonrightous helping you with your dailies? Are they consistently taking you in groups so you can level enough that way, fast enough, to afford to give up the dps? Not likely. You are probably going to have to do what every other DC does, lvl to max through Rightous, THEN respecc if you want group action over solo.

If they would allow a duel specc rigging in this game then you could have a heal rig out, and a dps rig out, and do your day-to-day stuff righteous and throw on your heal rig to heal in a group setting.

One the other hand, if ASKED by a party leader if you are a righteous DC or otherwise, then it is your obligation to be honest and inform them so, so they can plan accordingly, and if they are weak enough to pass you over, don't be sad, you both made a choice in game play that suits your personality, if you LIE about being righteous just to get a party, and can't maintain the heals because of it, then you will deserve the flames and jeers you get won't you? And won't have the right to complain about it later.
    edited April 2015
    thanks for your response, spot on, and I would like to point out THANK you for telling it like it is "Is the player that insists you go nonrightous helping you with your dailies? Are they consistently taking you in groups so you can level enough that way, fast enough, to afford to give up the dps? Not likely." Exactly what pisses me off tbh, not everyone has the luxury of help when they need it xD
    edited April 2015
    Another tidbit that's apparently not known to many of the more prejudiced players:

Some of those more prominent "DPS" spells are actually dual use - in one package: Hurt the reds and heal (or HoT) the blues.

Foremost examples: Sunburst and Divine Glow.

But a HoT goes unnoticed outside of ACT. But "Gift of Faith" or "Shield of the Divine" has a snazzy text line in your FoV - that is unignorable...

I really don't wat to deprecate the value of the Healer-bound DCs here - they have faster healing rates, and self-triggering heals. But going down that route is something that requires some support, like you can find in a PvP oriented, frequently and regularly grouping guild. But when you're more on the "casual" side - e.g. because other nasty things like "job" and "family" or somesuch get in the way, you're often not so welcome in those guilds. So you gotta do your dailies - or soon-ish, your Black Ice grinding - on your own. And that's where Righteous rocks.

In other games, where you can respec for little in-game money, I've done that in similar situations before going on Group Runs - Dungeouns, Raids, whatever they're called. Here in Neverwinter this is not an option due the, erm,... ...desire for income.

So basically, when you're well integrated into a guild or other group - by all means doe the healy type. When you're not (and this probably is one of the main reasons to get into lfg-channel or PUG groups, huh?), you have to sacrifice on either end - heals or time. Then the Healer paths are somewhat of a luxury...
  • totenkopf77totenkopf77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, if in theory, a DC wanted to be dps cleric (righteous), and take a dps slot instead of a healer slot, would they be rejected or are all dcs forced into a role (faithful or virtuous) that they might not like? My main has been righteous for a long time, i fell in love with it and never want to change it...but with all this talk about how DC's will be forced to be faithful to keep up with the increased damage we take, I wonder will righteous Dc's be denied party slots?

In theory, if you were grouped with people that had functioning brain cells unlike the twatwaffle below your post, yes a righteous DC would be considered a must have/ good slot fill. Righteous DC path is the best buff/ debuffer for party damage, therefore a mod6 group with a Righteous AND a Virt or Faithful would be a good comp. The new paladin class coupled with a strong Righteous DC might be enough healing for some groups, however most pugs are full of whiny types that will prolly kick you for being Righteous. Enjoy!!
  • totenkopf77totenkopf77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Blah blah blah

Yes, feel free to do whatever you want.

Responsible players understand that when the choose a class that there is a specific job that goes along with it. I've never kicked anyone from a party, but if there's a DC in the group, and my GWF isn't constantly covered in little green plus signs, and I don't see any astral sheilds or if there is nothing buffing me or debuffing the monster(s), then yeah, I would think pretty hard about kicking that DC.

A properly geared, specced and played Righteous DC will destroy your puny GWF in damage in a dungeon. If you were actually a good enough player to ever see one in action you would know this. Learn your role shoe shine melee boy!!
  • nwoun1nwoun1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In about 3-4 weeks players will again highly demand buffing / debuffing because the HP pools and builds will have developed to a state where the extreme tankiness and healing that is currently required is no longer needed.
    I'm already very close to not getting one-shotted from everything on my CW and comfortably heal with LS again. It's all about surviving the initial burst.

You can already do full 2/3 DPS runs on T2 dungeons, just saying. I think most DCs will be able to switch out Bastion of Health for something else in example.
  • skinlikewinterskinlikewinter Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For you DPS DCs out there, why not just make an all DC party. 3 DPS and 1 hear or 4 DPS, 1 healer.

The most fun i have ever had in a party was being in an all DC group. Have completed all dungones/skirmishes (not tiamat), prior to mod 6. Wouls love try it out in mod 6.
    I show player support, by only playing Neverwinter as F2P
  • jharlisjharlis Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    There's a simple solution : as a paladin if we are protector we'll always be queued as tank, and if we follow the path of devotion we'll always queue as healers, the same should apply for DCs although they can be dps by choosing paragon feats...
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love my DPS cleric. I take great joy in seeing how bent out of shape some of you get over people not conforming to your ideal of party roles. It's really inspiring, especially when I catch that heat after out-scoring other more traditionally dps oriented classes. Seriously, that shade makes my day. Going on and on about what "responsible" players do... Do you ever read the things you write? Do you have any idea what you sound like? Do you just hate fun?

Cheers to those that play to have fun, jeers to those who suck the joy out of gaming.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
    edited April 2015
    exactly thanks :D
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have righteous cleric on my friends list, he constantly complains about people getting mad about his spec and ruthlessly kicking him out of a dungeon.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is why we need a dual spec in neverwinter. Many MMOs have that option, it solves most of the drama and people can switch between support for raids and dungeons, and dps for solo content. In the meantime, the most respectful approach is not using the public queue, because yeah, you're taking the healer's slot for something with almost no value to the party (sorry to burst your bubble but anyone can dps), and that's quite rude.
  • yuihoyuiho Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am one of those players who specced full heal. I literally can't do anything by myself (well I can but it just takes forever to do anything solo) and i'm constantly waiting for my partner to come on so we can do dailies or anything really. It is not that fun :P With that being said I still stick out with the healing skills and basically support during random HEs and dragons and just follow my partner around.

TBH I feel the people who are QQ-ing about wanting to spec DPS are QQ-ing abit too much. They complain so much about not wanting to re-spec that i feel that they are just trying to hold onto that perfection from Mod5. I am not agreeing that all DCs should go heals.. on the contrary.. if Neverwinter had Duel Spec.. that would rock my world. All I'm saying is at least talk to the rest of your party what specs you are set in. I don't know how many times but I always get put into skirmishes with another cleric and i tell that person straight away that i'm gonna heal and that guy could go DPS if wanted. I wait for a reply but nothing.. fight starts and i'm healing, buffing, shielding... and then the other cleric stands there watching me. This happens more often than none and it pisses me off. Reply so I know what you are planning to do. If u plan to AFK at least say something too. If u also want to heal then say something so I can use another skill that can help us out! All of which is the basic fundamental of any game: "communication". I understand that you may not understand english.. I sometimes wonder if all DCs I party up with can't speak english.

Anyway I feel that alot of the new players need to learn how to play :P ( thats a very biased comment) but i feel that if you didn't have previous MMO experience.. u should study up :P
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You're not bursting anyone's bubble saying that anyone can dps. Any class with the exception of Paladin at this point has an option for a damage oriented build. I do agree that if you're a dps cleric, for now, you should probably stay away from PUGs for dungeons. If there was some way to mark yourself as something other than the standard role for your class and the game's search algorithm would take that into consideration, that would be nice. That feature doesn't exist, though, and as such, private teams would probably be a better choice for dungeons.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
    edited April 2015
    When parties are specifically looking for a heal-focused DC, they should advertise this as such. Then I won't waste my time by asking to join up and I also won't waste their time...

When I join a party looking for a DC, and I get kicked because I'm RiDO... ...pfff. Another four entries in my twitfilter. Apparently they're not only incapable of stating what they want, but also either not that needy or way too needy of healing to live with what they'd get from me - or too arrogant.

After all, since LS "rework" even a ****ty Astral Seal is an improvement, but yeah, tough DPS guy can't accept "second grade".
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jharlis wrote: »
    There's a simple solution : as a paladin if we are protector we'll always be queued as tank, and if we follow the path of devotion we'll always queue as healers, the same should apply for DCs although they can be dps by choosing paragon feats...
    Unlikely to be implemented correctly, expect longer queue time.

Not every Righteous DC plays for Paingiver, some play for balance between DPS and support, some are planning to be full healers, but temporarily need DPS capacity to progress character easier in campaigns.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)