What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifesteal needs a rollback

Comments

• Options
    nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a feeling the glass cannon, run into a group and AOE everything without any worries people are going to be hit the hardest on this one. However, they spent to much time on it now to roll it back.

Nail on the head - ouch!
    I just lover how people refuse to use available game mechanics (not BiS gear)but instead go cry on the forums! Makes me hope that there are more competent players in Lvl 70 dungeons!
    onegaki101 wrote: »
    Content is pretty easy still, people are just used to playing carebear easy mode for so long that they do not know how to adapt to new difficulties.

Nail on the head - twice!
    Thing is Neverwinter consists to a good amount of people who just want to facetank stuff without thinking or skill and roll content within 1 week. Idk if they contribute a lot moneywise but I dont have any problems with you guys playing Hello Kitty online instead
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I disagree with rolling back the change. There has to be a trade-off between damage dealt and survival and the previous system effectively negated it, putting tanks and healers at disadvantage.
    I do agree, however, that the current mechanic is not that great either. Leaving it to a random chance to proc a huge spike of healing can bring back the previous problem when high-end players will reach high life steal chance.
    I think that Life steal should proc on every hit (but with an internal cooldown of 1 second), but it should NOT scale with damage inflicted. Probably a fixed amount based on your Life Steal rating (and level) would be the way to go.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bruceifer wrote: »
    Let me explain then.... Those of us with DPS characters spent a lot of time and or money maxing our damage and then maxing out lifesteal enchantments or regen in some cases to heal ourselves in combat. Now all those maxed dark enchantments are functionally useless.

They're not. Stack arpen, it's now the way to go as a dps. Or use them as +movement enchantments in utility slots. If you don't like your dark enchantments, I'll trade my radiants to you for your dark ones. I'm not kidding. Feel free to contact me in game.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hire a cleric/paladin, play carefully or just focus more on lifesteal :P
  • Options
    hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    klangeddin wrote: »
    I disagree with rolling back the change. There has to be a trade-off between damage dealt and survival and the previous system effectively negated it, putting tanks and healers at disadvantage.
    I do agree, however, that the current mechanic is not that great either. Leaving it to a random chance to proc a huge spike of healing can bring back the previous problem when high-end players will reach high life steal chance.
    I think that Life steal should proc on every hit (but with an internal cooldown of 1 second), but it should NOT scale with damage inflicted. Probably a fixed amount based on your Life Steal rating (and level) would be the way to go.

I also always liked an amount based on level for healing instead of damage. Such allows for far fewer anomalies and exceptions to what is intended. It could be level based with a chance to crit for more with severity but I think level based is important for stability.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    This change dident go down easy but its clear there not going to roll it back.

100% sure it's going to stay. There's not a single game, RPG, APRG, MMO or even fighting game with a mechanic as ridiculous as the former lifesteal, which was basically the following equation:

more damage = higher survivability.

Now you have to carefully make a choice: higher survivability OR higher dps. Most people will pick a mix of both, it's up to us, players, to find the balance we like.
  • Options
    blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm fine with the new lifesteal. Need to change some stats, be more tanky, switch to lifesteal boon from crit sev in Tod campaign, but so far it's fine.
    Had a hard time though levelling my rogue, as I did not have the WoD equipment. Until lv 65 former Draconic set is fine, but after that you need the HP. And if you skipped the quests, which gives you the blue equipment, and you have no glory for pvp stuff, aaaand you are a beginner, then you are screwed. I could do it with 30k hp, but I played as a TR for a long time. I can see this being hard for some people, and they maybe will give up the game early.

The big problem with levelling is not its hardness, but its boringness. This 16 vigilance quest structure is boring as hell. It takes 15-20 hours to level up to 70. I have no problem with this lenght, but with the repetitive, dull quests. Also, I have 7 chars. and I play 4 of them regularly. I dont have the time to level them up, and mainly, i dont have the patiance to level them up with these quest structure.
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
  • Options
    nielsg2nielsg2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree completely with this. If the Devs wanted more group content, then create new zones with harder mobs to handle this, don't use a broad nerf bat to extend the life of old content...
  • Options
    bruceiferbruceifer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    100% sure it's going to stay. There's not a single game, RPG, APRG, MMO or even fighting game with a mechanic as ridiculous as the former lifesteal, which was basically the following equation:

Now you have to carefully make a choice: higher survivability OR higher dps. Most people will pick a mix of both, it's up to us, players, to find the balance we like.

Then allow us to trade in maxed dark enchantments for maxed defensive ones. The folks who maxed out all that lifesteal should not have wasted their resources, it was a sound effective build. If they want to change the rules then do away with lifesteal, and replace all dark enchantment stones with defensive enchantments of equal rank.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Some of you really need to learn how to play.

I've heard all this hype about Sharandar 1-shotting people and what not.. so I went there, it scaled me to 70. I take the Arcane Reservoir quest, and I steam roll through it.. just like before. Have it on video.

I've also heard about hard "Totem of Auril" is. I went there, soloed it too.

Just spec your character and have some reflexes. Getting killed by brainess mobs just lol, some of you need to get into PVP to learn some reflexes.

Inb4 "You're a CW! Easy mode class!" name me whatever class you want and I'll record myself soloing anything in Sharandar.

SW level 60, Master of the Hunt or MC.
  • Options
    hyakusekaihyakusekai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Some of you really need to learn how to play.

I've heard all this hype about Sharandar 1-shotting people and what not.. so I went there, it scaled me to 70. I take the Arcane Reservoir quest, and I steam roll through it.. just like before. Have it on video.

I've also heard about hard "Totem of Auril" is. I went there, soloed it too.

Just spec your character and have some reflexes. Getting killed by brainess mobs just lol, some of you need to get into PVP to learn some reflexes.

Inb4 "You're a CW! Easy mode class!" name me whatever class you want and I'll record myself soloing anything in Sharandar.

SW, level around 60-65. Soulbinder.
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hyakusekai wrote: »
    SW, level around 60-65. Soulbinder.
    djarkaan wrote: »
    SW level 60, Master of the Hunt or MC.

Okay, lemme do this right now.

Do people queue a lot for Master of the Hunt or MC? If not I'll just do arcane reservoir for now.

Brb. The SW was a boonless 10K GS pre-module 5 too.

EDIT: Servers are down... and I'm going out soon, I'll do this later tonight.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They should have leave LS the way it was and simply add some reflect dmg to specific dungeon or heroic adds / bosses. Reflect dmg would make LS less powerful while soloing and most of the dailies wouldnt be such a pain for new players with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear.
  • Options
    sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    go play a hr and tell me an at will will refill your health bar. please.

Will test HR after maintenance is compleate.
  • Options
    lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    prettycelt wrote: »
    Please put Lifesteal back to the way it was, or scale back the power on these mobs.

Level 64 now, doing level-appropriate quests in the new areas, and yes I know how to Shift/Dodge. Even so, getting real sick and tired of being at 20-50% health after every second or third encounter. Beating them is np, but all it takes is one or two hits and my health plummets. It's absurd.

Look, let's be honest and objective about this. If the game had always been like this, there would be no complaints. Issue is, they gave too much and now that they want to take it back, people are already used to the "lifesteal, chain combat, no need for pots or healer companion type gameplay."

Pre-mod 6, I didn't need pots and just used aug companion. Pots and gold just accumulate. Now we need to either use pots (and buy if the drops are insufficient) OR use a healer companion. Is that really that bad? Some other games required down time to regen mana!

Come on, this game is as casual as it gets! Let's focus on more important issues.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They won't need healer companion and many pots too once they figure how to abuse the new lifesteal.
  • Options
    hyakusekaihyakusekai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay, lemme do this right now.

Do people queue a lot for Master of the Hunt or MC? If not I'll just do arcane reservoir for now.

Brb. The SW was a boonless 10K GS pre-module 5 too.

EDIT: Servers are down... and I'm going out soon, I'll do this later tonight.

Still waiting your video. :)
  • Options
    ljfpantsljfpants Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    LOL I completely got rid of any lifesteal stats just because it's completely worthless now. Just switch to Azure for your defense slots as I did for the time being. I saw a couple slaps in the face with MOD6 but I won't go on a rant about them just yet....As it stands Lifesteal should just be removed from the game.

Totally agree with the lifesteal at present. Getting 100% heal every 1/20 (around 5%) chance but each time I take a relatively big hit dying immediately. There might need to be a change to the amount of hitpoints as at lvl 60 and 22k hp, I die relatively quickly. :(

Going to go with the Azure advice until they say this is too overpowered and then they scale that back like lifesteal.

At present not happy with the change to lifesteal. I would suggest providing a 2-3x increase to the chance of this happening and providing 1/2 to 1/3 of the benefit. That way you still need to dodge and move but the healing is more regular.

I don't have time to play in groups. I liked the solo nature of the game. I don't like the changes as they stand at present. Going to not play until I see some alteration to these changes.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can tell you that none -- repeat, NONE -- of my characters are glass cannons. I build them all like tanks. Even with my main, many dailies are deadly. I'm much more upset about the regen nerf than the lifesteal one since it appears to be completely unjustified. I see no reason for it save that someone just WANTS to make life hell for us. Unfortunately, the wall of silence from anyone at Cryptic regarding the mountain of negative feedback (and the flat-out insulting blog about it) tells me that we're stuck with it. Someone has turned into a "killer DM" and either (1) simply wants us to suffer, (2) wants to force us to flood the game with paladins, or (3) is being pushed by the bean-counters to drive more health stone sales.

Back when these survivability nerfs were first announced -- and then spun as beneficial -- I resolved then and there that never would a Paladin occupy one of my character slots. I don't care for heavy-handed tactics, and calling all these nerfs compounded on top of one another "beneficial" is an insult to my intelligence. I'm also going to keep my DC -- and all of my other alts -- parked as mules. If the game is to be structured to increase suffering across the board, I can at least minimize mine.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Please put Lifesteal back to the way it was, or scale back the power on these mobs.

Level 64 now, doing level-appropriate quests in the new areas, and yes I know how to Shift/Dodge. Even so, getting real sick and tired of being at 20-50% health after every second or third encounter. Beating them is np, but all it takes is one or two hits and my health plummets. It's absurd.

I have a Lifesteal rating of 2150, equating to 8.1% and it is simply insufficient. You wanted to make the new maps more challenging? Great, you did it. You wanted to make Lifesteal less powerful? Great, you did it. Both together? No, now you're just being killer DM's.

Tell your tabletop D&D group, 'Oh btw, I'm sending you into encounters that hit twice as hard as before, with half the healing. Don't have a Cleric with you? Don't have tons of hp? Oh well, sucks to be you! Hyuk hyuk!' And see what happens. Once you weather the barrage of pencils and trash thrown at you, you'd lose most of your players. Same here.

The maintenance today would be a great place to start.
    I agree. My CW used to have 10% life steal. Now this should have been turned into a 10% life steal chance, but for some reason it is now only 6%. This is not quite what they wrote in the dev blog.

My CW is also a Master of the Flames. As such is a lot of damage coming from smoulder/rimfire DoT and this does not trigger any life stealing. So not only is my percentage down after the change, but I also do not get the amount of healing in that would match my damage, nor the rate at which it should trigger life stealing. If I do not constantly aim at something and hit it with spells then I also do not get a chance for life stealing. I now need to hit a target sometimes more than 30 times to trigger it. This just does not work in line with how one plays a Master of the Flames. It is pretty horrible now, meaning, any point in life stealing is a complete waste and results in a fail build. I can understand why some players feel they must delete their characters, because the class my still be the same, but how one plays it has largely changed and some may simply not fit the new play style any longer.

The changes are sheer madness.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    drakenartzdrakenartz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree with this 100%.
    When Redcaps kill me in 1 - 2 hits then that's just BS
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    There's not a single game, RPG, APRG, MMO or even fighting game with a mechanic as ridiculous as the former lifesteal, which was basically the following equation:

Yeah, except every Diablo game and every clone of Diablo games, and a several hundred others.

Thanks for sharing the degree of your ignorance with us.
  • Options
    cl1mh4224rdcl1mh4224rd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Changing the basic mechanics of the game every mod to "fix" what didn't need fixing...

Life Steal really did need fixing, though. It completely did away with the need for any other kind of healing, and at a really low rank, too, depending on your class.
    drakenartz wrote: »

You're in the wrong thread, I think. Even old Life Steal wouldn't save you under those circumstances.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ofnieslaf wrote: »
    it just means u have to play more careful and more stageti c and tactic

no more facetrolling is over, now u play as a group, just like a swat team trying to capture criminals, a single swat acannot capture all the criminals

regards

Oh, Join Date Mar 2015. Why am I not surprised. You tell to some really experienced players that they need to play more tactically and strategically while being insta-killed.

How about this - You have no idea what you're talking about and you're just trolling around while dozens are against the changes?! That seems appropriate.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    drakenartz wrote: »
    I agree with this 100%.

What are you doing as a lvl 60-ish in lvl 70+ areas? Seriously? and complaining about it.