test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Connecting to Neverwinter Gateway on Firefox on PC - Use version 36

Comments

• luskantraderluskantrader Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hate that sh*t too. I stopped using the gateway altogether nearly a year ago because of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. It got absolutely ridiculous to keep dealing with.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    still not working

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to gateway.playneverwinter.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
    edited April 2015
    turn off account guard
  • buddahcjccbuddahcjcc Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yay im patching now
  • buddahcjccbuddahcjcc Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Now I cant get past the screen saying material files reloaded then the game goes nonresponsive
  • b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The problem with mobile is the SSL cert is improperly installed on the server and has multiple vulnerabilities. and needs to be fixed on the

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=gateway.playneverwinter.com
    https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=gateway.playneverwinter.com

it seemed like the patch you did yesterday fixed it for a few but then went back to having an Invalid Authority Chain. So someone needs to fix that before it'll ever work on our end..
  • buzzardsbaitbuzzardsbait Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    b0rkch0p wrote: »
    The problem with mobile is the SSL cert is improperly installed on the server and has multiple vulnerabilities. and needs to be fixed on the

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=gateway.playneverwinter.com
    https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=gateway.playneverwinter.com

it seemed like the patch you did yesterday fixed it for a few but then went back to having an Invalid Authority Chain. So someone needs to fix that before it'll ever work on our end..

Wish I was one of those few. It worked right up until firefox updated to version 37.0.1, and not a single time since.
  • ixotlixotl Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was able to get to the gateway on my Android handheld using FF 36 as well. But that was prior to the XB launch also. Then "upgraded" to 37 and it's a no-go wherever I go :) FF 37 fails on both PC and Android. So far I've found:

PC -
    FF = fails
    IE11 = works*
    Chrome = works*
    * at least to the login screen, haven't actually logged in.

Android -
    FF = fails
    Chrome = fails
    Dolphin = fails
    Stock Android Browser = fails

It seems mostly Android related which may mean it's Mozilla related, hence FF failures on PC. I for one don't take my PC to bed with me to restart professions during the night. Only the Android hand held is acceptable during the night. During the day I'll use the NW Client.
    edited April 2015
    Wish I was one of those few. It worked right up until firefox updated to version 37.0.1, and not a single time since.

did you change the
    security.tls.version.fallback-limit;1
    to that?

worked instantly on desktop FF
    edited April 2015
    ixotl wrote: »
    I was able to get to the gateway on my Android handheld using FF 36 as well. But that was prior to the XB launch also. Then "upgraded" to 37 and it's a no-go wherever I go :) FF 37 fails on both PC and Android. So far I've found:

PC -
    FF = fails
    IE11 = works*
    Chrome = works*
    * at least to the login screen, haven't actually logged in.

Android -
    FF = fails
    Chrome = fails
    Dolphin = fails
    Stock Android Browser = fails

It seems mostly Android related which may mean it's Mozilla related, hence FF failures on PC. I for one don't take my PC to bed with me to restart professions during the night. Only the Android hand held is acceptable during the night. During the day I'll use the NW Client.

For mobile.. i can login with Chrome but i have to click advanced -> proceed. and fill in my info as chrome won't save it on the current SSL State.

For mobile FF I don't know as I just use chrome.. I love FF .. but android is Google code. so I just leave it be with Chrome.
    edited April 2015
    still down.....
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    b0rkch0p wrote: »
    did you change the
    security.tls.version.fallback-limit;1
    to that?

worked instantly on desktop FF

Yes, this will work. The issue is: Neverwinter Gateway uses an obsolete and insecure form of encryption, which has been compromised for a very long time and that is a terrible idea to use on any information you want to keep private. It's the difference between locking your safe door so only people with the combination can read your private data, and leaving your safe door wide open with a post-it on the front that says "safe is locked, do not read my private stuff that is stored in here".

Browsers have, until recently, supported this very-broken encryption, because a lot of legacy sites still use it despite it being totally insecure.

Firefox has stopped marking these insecure pages as secure, by refusing to support the broken encryption any longer. This means that Neverwinter's Gateway is no longer available, since the server is set to direct everyone to a "secure" connection and the browser is pointing out that what the server insists on is in no way secure.

Google has said Chrome will stop supporting broken non-encryption soon, but still supports it now. This is why Chrome still works, for now. Expect it to break soon.

The correct solution is for the Neverwinter Gateway to be upgraded so it supports WORKING encryption, with a proper certificate and a non-broken cypher suite.
    edited April 2015
    lowjohn wrote: »
    Yes, this will work. The issue is: Neverwinter Gateway uses an obsolete and insecure form of encryption, which has been compromised for a very long time and that is a terrible idea to use on any information you want to keep private. It's the difference between locking your safe door so only people with the combination can read your private data, and leaving your safe door wide open with a post-it on the front that says "safe is locked, do not read my private stuff that is stored in here".

Browsers have, until recently, supported this very-broken encryption, because a lot of legacy sites still use it despite it being totally insecure.

Firefox has stopped marking these insecure pages as secure, by refusing to support the broken encryption any longer. This means that Neverwinter's Gateway is no longer available, since the server is set to direct everyone to a "secure" connection and the browser is pointing out that what the server insists on is in no way secure.

Google has said Chrome will stop supporting broken non-encryption soon, but still supports it now. This is why Chrome still works, for now. Expect it to break soon.

The correct solution is for the Neverwinter Gateway to be upgraded so it supports WORKING encryption, with a proper certificate and a non-broken cypher suite.

I submitted a ticked with the info I put up above.. hopefully someone will see it and fix.. it's not all that difficult to fix.. depending on their server platform.. my guess is it's just very low on the todem pole.. ;p
    edited April 2015
    A little cleaner solution for firefox 37 is to set security.tls.insecure_fallback_hosts to:

gateway.playneverwinter.com,gatewaytest.playneverwinter.com

This way you alter Firefox for Neverwinter's gateways.

I tried this with FF on my PC and it worked (brought up the login at least). Tried this on the Android handheld and it failed. Usual message. FF 37.0.1 on both systems. Back to the drawing board.
  • jiinksjiinks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A little cleaner solution for firefox 37 is to set security.tls.insecure_fallback_hosts to:

gateway.playneverwinter.com,gatewaytest.playneverwinter.com

This way you alter Firefox for Neverwinter's gateways.

Thanks, this worked on my desktop.

On my Android, I still get an error and have to bypass security if I want it to "work". :(
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Does anyone else have messed up graphics in the Gateway? For like 2 months now various graphic elements would display the wrong file (for example swapped item icons in professions).
    edited April 2015
    akromatik wrote: »
    Our gateway issues have been resolved, however if you're still running version 35 of Mozilla Firefox, you might run into some issues.

How can you fix it? Upgrade to version 36 (and maybe clear your cache for good measure) on PC!

Once you've upgraded to version 36, you should be able to access gateway on PC without any issues.

We are still looking into the issues affecting mobile devices.

Enjoy!

so it doesn't work on version 37 then? because it's updated to the latest which is 37. NOT 36 which is old.

anyone hello??
  • hallowoakhallowoak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is really sad. I have everything up to date and cleared the chache and haven't been able to log on for almost a week. It really shouldn't be this much of a run around to get into and play a game.
  • sargerfightcatssargerfightcats Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Getting bored of this FF malfunctionality and just set up Chrome browser. Seem working for me now.
  • neverwinter12112neverwinter12112 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    walk2k wrote: »
    so it doesn't work on version 37 then? because it's updated to the latest which is 37. NOT 36 which is old.

anyone hello??

Have you tried http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?852761-Connecting-to-Neverwinter-Gateway-on-Firefox-on-PC-Use-version-36/page6&p=10430751#post10430751 ?
    edited April 2015
    So when will the Devs provide any update about progress in the fixing of the Gateway for Android devices?
  • hamadi01hamadi01 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That is the solution I was looking for. Thanks a LOT!!!
  • thornigarthornigar Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm on the latest version, 37, and cannot log in anymore, plus phone app has been down for weeks :(
  • flinx66flinx66 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Getting bored of this FF malfunctionality
    so I guess, if you can't open the three locks on your front door, the door gets replaced with a sliding paper door... nice to know, where do you live?

and btw. it is not FF malfunctioning, but the TLS version that PWE/Cryptic uses on the Gateway site. So until they update the security on that site (TLS version 3) FireFox will block it.

Fortunately there is a workaround, that will work with 37.0.1 and that is to change one variable under about:config.

Set security.tls.version.fallback-limit to 1. But be aware that this lowers your security level for ALL websites, that use TLS in a non-secure version.
  • tagnusironsordtagnusironsord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I finally said screw it, took the 2 minutes to d/l and install chrome, relabeled it's launcher icon "NWN Gateway" and set the gateway as it's homepage.

The gateway also appears to run more smoothly in the Chrome window than it ever did in FF, but that might just be because I haven't seen it in a week and a half.
    edited April 2015
    still broke, no ETA for weeks. did they fire all the gateway & network people?
    edited April 2015
    Secure Connection Failed

The connection to gateway.playneverwinter.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    anyone using old SSL is vulnerable.

TLS 1.0 has been sploited. This is the reason we can't use Mozilla Firefox. It won't let us use bugged sploited holes. *cough*ahem cryptic*cough*

Your password could be at risk by using chrome/IE .. Unprofessional to allow it to continue. In fact, due to the age of this thread, I'd wager Cryptic would be the ones found liable if any security breach were to occur.

This should be fixed. update TLS (SSL) already.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So i don't often use gateway but recently figured I'd like to do some adventuring. Only this problem occurs. I'm already using an update to date version of firefox, mines actually version 37, the most up to date, and I'm still getting the error.

I've tried resetting cache, hard refreshing and the other usual suspects without luck.

I'm not overly bothered since I could, if i wanted to, use another browser, but its a bit annoying when someone tells you how to fix something that shouldnt need fixing only for the fix to not work :)
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

This discussion has been closed.