test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

100% Artifact Refinement Points

bigredbrentbigredbrent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 155 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
Refining an artifact with another artifact should give back 100% of the refinement points.
(This should not get any bonus from a 2x refinement point weekend and should be unable to crit, so that it is not exploitable.)

This is a progression game and it just does not feel right when you lose progression such as refinement points. It's almost worse than if when they raise the level cap, they also took away experience points and made you a level 30 again from level 60, just so you will then be forced to level from 30 to 70.

It really doesn't matter how much items are increased to require more refinement points, just as long as the old refinement points are not lost. Even if items are increased to drastically horrible levels requiring many times more refinement points, it would still be better than making people lose refinement points that they have already earned.

I can see this as a problem that should be addressed sooner rather than later, because I don't see this problem ever completely going away until it is fixed. I honestly believe that this will be a problem with every expansion until this is resolved.

Also, the way it is now, if you decide to switch your equipment to another artifact item of the same item level, you will lose a lot of refining points, but there will be no stat increase. And this without the option of keeping the old item to switch back to if you decide you really don't want the new one, since it is consumed in the refinement process.

The refinement point loss is completely unforgivable when it comes to wanting to try out different equipment.

I am very skeptical about the announcement saying that 75% of the refinement progress is preserved. Is that referring to the item level or the total refinement points? Because, 75% of the item level is not even close to 75% of the refinement points. If they are referring to item level instead of refinement points, then they are either ignorant of what is important to players in this game, or they are being intentionally deceptive.
Akromatik wrote:
Artifact Weapons will also retain approximately 75% of their refinement progress.

Evidently it is only 75% of the item level, and that comes out to only 40% of the refinement points returned. With this amount of loss, I can't imagine anyone with legendary equipment not waiting till a 2x refinement point weekend to refine their new artifact equipment.
akromatik wrote: »
Hi everyone! I notice that there's been some confusion some material written in the refinement blog. The part that reads:
"Artifact Weapons will also retain approximately 75% of their refinement progress."

should have specified that it was refinement level rather than overall refinement points. The sentence has since been updated to:

"Artifact Weapons will also retain approximately 75% of their refinement level progress."

My deepest apologies for the confusion.

The revised announcement does not sound much clearer. It pretty much sounds like they don't want to outright say that you will only get back 40% of your refinement points, unless during a 2x refinement point weekend where you might get back 80% of your refinement points.
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9113833-neverwinter-dev-blog%3A-new-artifact-gear-and-item-changes
Akromatik wrote:
Artifact Weapons will also retain approximately 75% of their refinement level progress.
Post edited by bigredbrent on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    If, and its a small if, they did it, they would up the max on the level of the artifact higher, making the change pointless and forcing you to still grind more RP either way.
    Honestly, I don't mind too much if they increased the amount of rp items would need to get to max level. Even though I would prefer that they did not increase the rp required, as long as you don't lose any rp from your old artifact when you put it into the new one, it would still get less of an outcry than losing refinement points would.

Another benefit of this would allow people to more easily switch between different artifacts to see witch one they like more without being hit with a huge rp loss just to swap out one similar item for another.

It would all around be the RIGHT way to make this work, and to be honest it will never be RIGHT until it is done this way. This is just something that will always need to be done until it is.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Honestly I don't care if they increased the amount of rp items would need to get to max level.

YOU don't care. People who joined the game recently do. They have to be able to catch up somehow. The results would be the same for you, but not for new players. This is really an idiotic suggestion.

The artifact weapon set is a straight upgrade from what we have on live now. There is a lot more power and damage. Since it's an upgrade then expect to have to play or pay to get it at max rank.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I revised my post, because I would prefer not to have the refinement requirement increased. But if they did increase the refinement requirement, it would be more consistent with the regular artifacts that are going to be upgradeable to mythic quality.
    diogene0 wrote: »
    This is really an idiotic suggestion.
    That is an opinion that I obviously do not share. They could implement this and if necessary revise things around this to get the desired result. This is not only a good suggestion, it is the only suggestion that would ultimately solve this particular issue forever and would never need to be addressed again. I foresee this being a problem over and over again in the future until it is done this way. This is ultimately the only logical way to handle this.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ...repeating my post from the first thread:

I'd opt for another way: If you're using the non-prefixed version on a greater whatnot, you should get the x2 bonus - just like with type-identical enchantments.

Example: Using Belt of Black Ice to up Greater Belt of Black Ice - x2 RP yield of the current list value. Belt of Black Ice into (Greater) Belt of Lathander? Nooooo cookies.

... a kind of compromise path, but with an internal logic used elsewhere in the game.

With the 100% recovery as global rule, you'd undermine the whole ArtiGear system: People would switch between FotM belts and cloaks like there's no tomorrow, hence that 100% recuvery cannot be (from what I assume to be a dev's viewpoint...).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    With the 100% recovery as global rule, you'd undermine the whole ArtiGear system: People would switch between FotM belts and cloaks like there's no tomorrow, hence that 100% recuvery cannot be (from what I assume to be a dev's viewpoint...).

I don't see the problem with being able to switch artifact gear. It isn't like you would be able to keep the old one, because it is used up. And you also need to use up other items for the refinement process as well, and that could get costly if you did that too often. Being able to switch artifact gear without losing RP would be a very beneficial bonus to this, and I don't see a down side to that.
  • Options
    vitizaxvitizax Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like progression when it has a sense, defeating one boss after another or getting step by step better pvp gear so you can beat better enemies...

Refinement points has nothing of this, its just an artificial way, an obligation to farm, implemented by developers, just to slow down players and forcing them to spend stupidly more time to get their BiS gear.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    RP is just the currency used here... You invest playtime, do "work" (i.e. click little virtual things that move until they cease doing this). With RP you can do that wherever you want.

Old model: You want a T2 chest armour to replace your old T1 set chest? Off to the Temple of Spiders you go! Bracers to this? Then you must go to and visit Karrundax. You invest playtime, do "work". Over and over until you get lucky.

New Model: All is acquired via unified Seals (or campaign tokens/ressource) and you can choose where to invest these - for armour. Once that stuff is spent you're set. No trading it back.

For Weapon, and off-hand, we now get the slight boost that those are acquired by a mere task. But we only get the base model, have to invest playtime, do "work" - get RP - to boost it up to a better weapon or off-hand. Or, too, to change its special power or switch between weapon "types" - Cubes of Augmentation are the tokens there. This easy availability right now is to some extent done to mollify / attenuate / sweeten the shock of the level cap upgrade. remember how much investment of playtime, "work", had to be invested for your first Artifact weapon...

For neck, belt, and artifacts there's a similar situation. Just there you have to choose before we You invest playtime, do "work" boosting it up. Remember that in Mod 4 you had to do this with your first artifact wepon, too...

Like the RL money: You work, you get currency. As opposed to bartering goods. You work at a factory producing e.g. toasters - You invest playtime, nah... ....time, do work, and instead of getting a toaster each day, which, to some extent, the old model was like, you get tokens, little pieces of paper the government prints.

So far so good, but one thing in common: The moment you use these tokens to get someting with a practical use, they're gone. You might, or might not be able to do the same in reverse and sell the stuff again for - most of the time, unless you're real good at suckering or put more work, like transport or modifications or somesuch into the ware, later trade it for a somewhat smaller amount of tokens. In the real world. In this (and many other) MMOs this path is blocked because stuff is "BoP".

Why? Because if this were not the case, then everybody would have one set of top-level gear and pass that between his or her characters. This would kill the economy - too little turnover. Quite soon every player would have everything, and then the game dies. There are some other workarounds, like offering an immense bandwidth of items, but those tend to lead to a dead end, too.

Now what you are asking for here is to recycle your tokens - RP - over and over with no loss. basically the same story as before, just without changing characters inbetween. The drive to play the game would collapse...

Want that all you want - no dev who knows his way around MMOs and their economies will ever agree and implement this nowadays. It's been tried, and it failed. Over and over again.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The drive to play the game would collapse...

Want that all you want - no dev who knows his way around MMOs and their economies will ever agree and implement this nowadays. It's been tried, and it failed. Over and over again.

That's just not true. If they need to make you earn more rp to keep you grinding, then just increase the item level to require more. I know a lot of people are not a fan of that idea, but even more don't like the rp they earned being lost.

I like this post from another thread, and I completely agree with it:
    macjae wrote: »
    There are several reasons.

1) While the old top gear may have taken effort to acquire, artifact gear takes still much more effort to level up. While a Malabog riser fragment could cost a lot, the RP required for BiS artifact equipment is (currently) an order of magnitude more expensive.

2) While repetitive, activities like running a dungeon dozens of times still has some core element of fun to it. The activities associated with leveling artifact gear are generally far more tedious. It requires wearing particular utility enchantment and simply grinding through as many mobs as possible. Then gathering stuff up, and progressing gradually. Like 0.01-0.02% of the finished product per item you put in. Every step of the process is a chore. Conversely, you'd either simply pick up the old BiS gear or start a professions task to get it (though leveling a 20-level profession for the sake of a single item was tedious too).

3) There's a sense of relative deprivation, of being set back. Having orange gear feels more prestigious than purple. Lots of people will get kicked down a notch in terms of that ladder. Even though the new gear has better stats, it's still a relative demotion.

4) Other items that are leveled through refining are not being replaced, just upgraded. There's a lack of consistency in that regard. The RP you put into artifacts or enchantments aren't being likewise diminished.

Now, it would probably have factually been worse for players if they'd gone with what they talked about earlier and added 20 levels to existing artifact equipment. That would have cost more RP to get to the new BiS level than the current model does. (Of course, they may still do this on top of replacing existing gear, which would definitely be an additional kick in the nuts.) But that would still probably have gone over better because it wouldn't be like taking away something, just offering more advancement of an existing thing.
  • Options
    razlorusrazlorus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would say this should only apply to artifact equipment and not your normal 3 artifacts as the artifact equipment is what will be replaced most people will retain their current 3 artifacts and just raise them to mythic IMHO Cryptic should have just up scaled the current artifact equipment and introduced an artifact tier set so artifact head, chest, gloves and boots then looked into artifact rings etc they had so many better ways then just replacing the current artifact gear with new artifact gear
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I voted no. When you put your RP into your level 60 artifact, you are paying to upgrade the level 60 item. You've used it and (hopefully) derived enjoyment from using it.

Now an upgrade of level 70 is available and it is more powerful than the level 60 item. Just be glad you can "trade in" your existing level 60 item towards your level 70 item. It will cost you. You don't have to pay the cost. Just keep using your level 60 item.

If putting the level 60 item makes the level 70 item just as powerful, then I think that would be more than fair. The alternative is for the dev to make it so that an even more ungodly amount of RP is needed to max the level 70 item. This would truly be unfair to new players who don't have anything to trade-in.

The only thing I don't like about this situation is the introduction of the level 70 item so soon.
  • Options
    malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd say just let the RP and lvl 60 go to waste like all of the other MHs and OH combos that took months to farm. No one's crying about the Dread Legion or CN sets anymore. How long did it take anyone to actually farm the VT/MC/CN and Profession MH/OH combos? I say make it give 0% and have you start from scratch!
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Yes, and also

There should be no Double RP weekend.

Instead, more-or-less double available refinement points. One reason for limiting artifact gear refinement to 40% is likely that it can be "abused" during double RP.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    One reason for limiting artifact gear refinement to 40% is likely that it can be "abused" during double RP.

That is exactly what I have thought as well.

I also would not mind getting rid of the 2x refinement point weekends and compensating by increasing how much rp you normally get. I doubt they will ever do that though.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am just keeping all my old gear and i dont care about the new stuff...

I am not happy at how things are going, and until I am (no mas money from me!)

This almost feels like a scam..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am gonna play devils advocate here and say this .... I hated refining my legendary GWF sword into my new on on test server since it bumped it back to purple it hurt so bad to and felt like I lost all of my RP but... I kinda didnt because the purple it gave me for doing it was head and sholders better than what I had so its still an upgrade no matter how you look at it

that being said refining is the devil and the sooner it gets phased out the better refining weapons meh its not super bad since you do get a better whackin stick out of it but with 3 new artifact sets its gonna be outrageous and since you dont get a better item when you refine belts necks and artis then its a big ole poo sandwich and I dont wanna bite it

nobody wants to buy your overpriced blood rubies cryptic... stop trying to make paying for better weapons and armor happen mark my words that "ish" is gonna blow up in your face

nobody thinks 20$ for 3/4 of one rank at purple is worth it now if it was 20$ for full legendary weapon or like 30$ for 2 full 140 lev artifacts maybe if you are gonna go P2W go all out. this weasely non commital "well I am not really pay to win" is unbecoming
  • Options
    theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    if you want to add more staying power to your game making us chip away at Mount St. refinement points with a rock hammer isnt gonna do it
    yes of course there will be your odd Andy Dufresne who will come out clean on the other side but most of us will brooks it and kick out the old end table as we dangle off to other games
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    theoddis1 wrote: »
    I hated refining my legendary GWF sword into my new on on test server since it bumped it back to purple it hurt so bad to and felt like I lost all of my RP but... I kinda didnt because the purple it gave me for doing it was head and sholders better than what I had so its still an upgrade no matter how you look at it

I also don't like how if you decide to switch your gear to another artifact item of the same item level, you will lose a lot of refining points, but there will be no stat increase. And this without the option of keeping the old item to switch back to if you decide you really don't want the new one, since it is consumed in the refinement process.

The refinement point loss is completely unforgivable when it comes to wanting to try out different equipment.

I added this point to the main post.
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Were it simply that refining points were gained through gameplay only I would be 100% wholly cool with a reduction in value upon refinement. Seriously, honestly & truthfully. Gear creep through regular gameplay is expected. That said, my views changed when PW/Cryptic opted to monetize refining points. Now you are devaluing a (potentially) good faith purchase. I'm not cool with that. Not in the manner they've chosen to proceed with it and certainly not with the bungled way they initially tried to promote it.
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    im all for an 100% return on refining on artifacts this shoud have been done from the start as we were led to belive these artifact wepns and gear were going to be best for a few mods not 1 and done
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    theoddis1 wrote: »
    nobody wants to buy your overpriced blood rubies cryptic...

Yes I have to agree, artifact equipment didn't bring anything interesting to the game, sometimes, it even makes it feel like a chore. We use it because we don't really have a choice, but if I could get a legendary item with slightly lesser stats as a loot drop, I'd never use artifact equipment. It's just tedious and it stops us from playing the kind of content we enjoy to play the Chinese farmer's game.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    learch123 wrote: »
    im all for an 100% return on refining on artifacts this shoud have been done from the start as we were led to belive these artifact wepns and gear were going to be best for a few mods not 1 and done

It did seem by design to give the impression that the artifacts were made to last, and (if anything) should be made upgradeable into another expansion. I mean, that is exactly what they did with the regular artifacts that are being made upgradeable to mythic quality. There is a real lack of consistency here.
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    It did seem by design to give the impression that the artifacts were made to last and (if anything) should be made upgradeable into another expansion. I mean, that is exactly what they did with the regular artifacts that are being made upgradeable to mythic quality. There is a real lack of consistency here.

love it great idea
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    learch123 wrote: »
    love it great idea

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Without this, it is going to suck having to wait for the next refinement point weekend...
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You know, I really just wanted to click I just like to vote. But I hit yes. Will we ever get it? No. Should we get it? Probably not, since we are making ourselves new gear at level 70. However, people who feel this is kinda a kick in the teeth are not that wrong.
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It did seem by design to give the impression that the artifacts were made to last, and (if anything) should be made upgradeable into another expansion. I mean, that is exactly what they did with the regular artifacts that are being made upgradeable to mythic quality. There is a real lack of consistency here.

BUt at the same time there are new level 70 artifacts too.....Have you noticed them. Yep, new artifacts for you to upgrade as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ogarious wrote: »
    BUt at the same time there are new level 70 artifacts too.....Have you noticed them. Yep, new artifacts for you to upgrade as well.

Yeah, but you don't really lose refinement points with regular artifacts. On a 2x refinement point weekend you can actually gain refinement points by refining an artifact of the same kind into another artifact.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If they implemented this, people would not complain so much when they keep replacing the equipment with every mod...
  • Options
    caomhinmcccaomhinmcc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    the system it self should be scrapped ...the artifact gear should level like a companion, the more you use it the more it is unlocked, the more familiar you become with its secrets. In order to go up category you keep the same refinement marks in place now. get rid of the xp involved in invocation and Professions. the only way to level the artifact would be to actually level your character. Unfortunately in the game's present form that would still be tedious being that there is only 6 dungeons in the game and 4 skirmishes at level 70 (malabog, Lostmauth, Valindra, ECC. EToS, and EWD). Still leveling artifacts would take a long while but actually be more rewarding as in that mythic level belt was on that player for a long time.
  • Options
    horofoxhorofox Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    The rate of bad ideas from people who consider their ideas flawless and don't accept any criticism is close to 100%. Just dropping by and theorising, don't mind anything in particular.