test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4-Hour-Login play reward

torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
4 hours? Ouch. That's too long.

I don't have all the details, just bits and bobs that I've picked up from reading the forums.

Here's how Firefall does it.

15 mins logged in - 1st echelon reward [Peridot] is available to be 'claimed'.
30 mins since claim of 1st - 2nd echelon reward [Aquamarine]
45 mins since claim of 2nd, 3rd echelon reward [Sapphire]
1 hour since claim of 3rd, 4th echelon reward [Opal]

So that's a 2:30 hour login playtime reward. But while playing, you usually don't notice that you're eligible for the 2nd reward until 20 mins in, so add 5-10 mins per echelon, its actually more like a 3 hour login playtime reward that rewards at intervals.

It's a really efficient retention system that I think would work in NW.

[Full disclosure: Firefall didnt actually retain me. Gave up on it and came back to NW ;D]

Thoughts? Can anyone actually shed some light on how the new 4hour reward mechanic works?

Panderus? ;D

Rob?
NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
Thanks for all the fish.
Post edited by torontodave on

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015

[Full disclosure: Firefall didnt actually retain me. Gave up on it and came back to NW ;D]

Well...there's your answer. But to be fair, I don't think Firefall is retaining anyone :)

But in regards to Neverwinter, I believe the timer ticks down even if you're offline, so you don't have to stay in game for the full four hours to get access to the higher tiers. At least that's what I casually observed through limited logins on the test server.

I also heard a rumor that your coins don't disappear if you fail to invoke after 30 hours, so if that's the case it's a huge win for people.

Lastly, the way I look at it is this...I still get what I want from the invocation, which is the Ardent and Celestial coins, and a little AD, with a bonus if I invoke more. So that stuff after the first invocation is a bonus to me.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Well...there's your answer. But to be fair, I don't think Firefall is retaining anyone :)
    Yeah, but that's not the daily rewards fault! ;D I stopped playing because Firefall.

The daily reward mechanism I enjoyed! and would usually stay logged in the extra half hour to get the 2:30hr reward. [My usual playtime is a 2hour window..]
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited March 2015
    I believe the timer ticks down even if you're offline, so you don't have to stay in game for the full four hours to get access to the higher tiers. At least that's what I casually observed through limited logins on the test server.

So this just means that Leadership Armies have to do the login shuffle multiple times a day? =X

An uninterrupted 'have to stay logged in' timer would be better. If you lose connection, you just start the timer again. =X
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    WTB a bot that will deal with this invoking bs for me, tried it on preview, playing whole day remembered to invoke maybe some 3 times

Will need some getting used to, that's all. I personally put my chars on a campfire before I log out every time and bound /invoke && /gotocharacterselect to a key and use that combo to log out so I never forget to invoke.

Not sure it'll work the same way on preview since it's a two step process now, but people will adept rather fast.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    invoking once/day was indeed stupid.
    i would like to see more importance given to deity
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    (...)
    i would like to see more importance given to deity

I would agree ONLY if that was something cosmetic, like armor, costume, a weapon xmute, a mount (ALL with the same speed) or even a aura (Hey! they have it in CO!), nothing like bonus. Otherwise, NW would be full of Tempus followers. :p
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    more than rewards i was talking about gameplay.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    more than rewards i was talking about gameplay.

And thats exactly the point. A god with, lets say a better 'gameplay' mechanic (w/e they decide to go and implement it), would only drive ppl into that choice. It was already discused, several times. and IMO it better as it is now. If it ever happens (making god choices play into mechanics), ppl will cry cuz theres no "God Reroll Token". Itll only turn things ridiculous in a way.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • blackomen9000blackomen9000 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So this just means that Leadership Armies have to do the login shuffle multiple times a day? =X

An uninterrupted 'have to stay logged in' timer would be better. If you lose connection, you just start the timer again. =X

Yeah because noone has ever been disconnected from the server over a 4 hour timespan. /SARCASM (Hell I can count the number of times the game "didn't" crash/disconnect over a 4 hour timespan on both hands.)
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And how exactly do some people adapt with jobs and can't stick around for 4 hours? Should they quit their jobs and play this full time..?
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    From my limited testing, I don't think the Celestial coins disappear if you don't invoke within the 30 hour window any more. That's a positive change, right?
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So has anyone been able to confirm if the 4 hours are online time or offline time? I can deal with the changes if its offline time. Ill be selling torches and pitchforks to the mob if its online time.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Invoking doesn't appear to reset during the system reset (if there is one on the Preview). It has been 12 hours since last night til today since I invoked some god I can't remember and I was on level 4. The very next invoke it restarted at level 1 so its kinda weird. I can say offline time factors in. I keep changing toons and returning, I get to invoke to the next level. :confused:
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If the coins don't disappear, then this is REAL win for people that work shifts that change on a day-to-day basis.

It is always better to reward diligence rather than punish things that are not in some ones control. more reward for more prays vs lose it all if you cant get on.

you get more with sugar than salt as they say.

Bravo devs.
  • healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2015

But in regards to Neverwinter, I believe the timer ticks down even if you're offline, so you don't have to stay in game for the full four hours to get access to the higher tiers. At least that's what I casually observed through limited logins on the test server.

I also heard a rumor that your coins don't disappear if you fail to invoke after 30 hours, so if that's the case it's a huge win for people.

Lastly, the way I look at it is this...I still get what I want from the invocation, which is the Ardent and Celestial coins, and a little AD, with a bonus if I invoke more. So that stuff after the first invocation is a bonus to me.

If you think this is how Firefall intended to retain players but it is not an answer to them, then is it an "answer" to Neverwinter?

And no... the invoke timer doesn't tick down for me when I go offline. I invoked once, went offline for 4 hours, came back and I had to start from stage 2.

I doubt if it retains real players. If it costs them more time to play to get the same or worse things, it backfires. For one thing, I am sure it retains bots.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    So has anyone been able to confirm if the 4 hours are online time or offline time? I can deal with the changes if its offline time. Ill be selling torches and pitchforks to the mob if its online time.

I can confirm it counting while offline, in fact it was that way in the previous patch also when they first implemented the new timers. Combined with the fact it's always worked that way, I'd say it's safe to assume that's how it's intended.

The non-reseting coins, though... that I kind of doubt is intentional. Seems like something they would have mentioned if it were since that would be pretty much a 100% benefit for players. They haven't been reseting for a few patches now, probably since the invocation rework started.

Also invoking is giving crazy XP rewards, as much as the first daily invocation on live, but it gives that much each of the 6 invokes (plus lots of "rest" XP bonus). I'm guessing that's a bug as well.

But who knows, with only just over a week to go it may end up this way on live even if it isn't WAI, heh.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
    edited March 2015
    healary wrote: »
    And no... the invoke timer doesn't tick down for me when I go offline. I invoked once, went offline for 4 hours, came back and I had to start from stage 2.

Yes it does. You just can't "skip" stages. You still have to invoke x times to work your way to the last reward. You were at stage one, invoked, came back 4 hours later, invoked again and got the stage two reward. If you log out and come back later, you can invoke and then be at state three, until the reset.

Another question is about the reset. Seems like it would make sense for this to be a daily thing, or a hard 24 hours. Anyone know exactly when the timer resets?
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • tankinatorfrtankinatorfr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    It looks like it resume at the same moment as daily quest. Don't know whitch hour it mean in server time.
    At least, while I was playing it had beet reseted at this moment, in the middle of my invocation serie...
    edited March 2015
    shadw2012 wrote: »
    Ty, Ironzerg, i think the biggest thing is people fear change, and do not want to adapt. I am looking forward to the changes, people need to learn to adapt and move on or just move on all together, and let us people who do enjoy the game, actually have fun with it without the doomsayers, and complainers. Just a thought....

I don't think people fear change, they fear no changes. Nothing will be changed except the dungeon and item levels. Everything is still the same old, plus the restart of the artifact gear RP ordeal with more AD cost on enchantments and artifacts but less sources.
    edited March 2015
    shadw2012 wrote: »
    From what i have seen on preview, RP seem to be dropping more, you now get minor,lesser, and greater reson stones, rank5's from skill nodes/mobs. Not to mention you can get RP from leadership. Seems to be more sources actually, not less. Everything just takes time.

We have yet to see a large enough sample of RP drop in preview. From what I see from people who opened the new leadership bags hundreds of times, the rate of good drop is meh! Plus there is a 20% nerf at level 20 and it takes a lot more time for new players to get to level 23+ to get the RP bag.

Read that I said sources of AD are less due to the nerf of Lord Neverwinter, the delay entry of dungeons and Skirmishes for new players, increase number of times and login time for invocation to causal players among other things.
    edited March 2015
    It looks like it resume at the same moment as daily quest. Don't know whitch hour it mean in server time.
    At least, while I was playing it had beet reseted at this moment, in the middle of my invocation serie...

So I think they reset midnight PST? That would make sense.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2015

So that's a 2:30 hour login playtime reward. But while playing, you usually don't notice that you're eligible for the 2nd reward until 20 mins in, so add 5-10 mins per echelon, its actually more like a 3 hour login playtime reward that rewards at intervals.

In my experience that's pretty much how Neverwinter does it on preview only with 6 stages. I don't have the rewards memorised though so don't treat them as accurate.

Stage 1 - XP, AD, ardent coin, celestial coin
    Stage 2 - 15 min post stage 1 XP, XP boost
    Stage 3 - 30 min post stage 2 ?refining item
    Stage 4 - 45 min post stage 3 XP, ? XP boost
    Stage 5 - 60 min post stage 4 ?ID scroll
    Stage 6 - 90 min post stage 5 XP, ? XP boost, celestial coin

The amount of AD increases with stage. XP is current given at every stage currently. The XP boost varies by level, at 40ish it was 5,000, at 60 it was 10,000.

The timer does count whilst offline but obviously (or perhaps not) doesn't bump you to the next stage, you need to do that online. There is the useualy audible sound to notify that you can invoke.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In my experience that's pretty much how Neverwinter does it on preview only with 6 stages. I don't have the rewards memorised though so don't treat them as accurate.

Stage 1 - XP, AD, ardent coin, celestial coin
    Stage 2 - 15 min post stage 1 XP, XP boost
    Stage 3 - 30 min post stage 2 ?refining item
    Stage 4 - 45 min post stage 3 XP, ? XP boost
    Stage 5 - 60 min post stage 4 ?ID scroll
    Stage 6 - 90 min post stage 5 XP, ? XP boost, celestial coin

The amount of AD increases with stage. XP is current given at every stage currently. The XP boost varies by level, at 40ish it was 5,000, at 60 it was 10,000.

The timer does count whilst offline but obviously (or perhaps not) doesn't bump you to the next stage, you need to do that online. There is the useualy audible sound to notify that you can invoke.

Sounds like a real hassle if you have more than one character, having to track the time to do the invoking rounds. :(
  • cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I certainly do not fear changes and welcome them, the more the merrier, in hope that they will breath some fresh air into the game.

As the saying goes "Once bitten, twice shy", I guess many of us are skeptical about the whole artifact gears/RP issue by now.

I do feel for those who have limited play time or are playing multiple characters, and only just managed to get their artifact gears recently (only to see L70 options being offered in MOD 6).

While RP items are dropping more, it will take players some time to farm for the new artifact gears and to acquire sufficient RP to level them all over again. Deep inside, some secretly fear that by the time they get their new gears to epic/legendary/mythic levels, the mileage these gears provide may be restricted with the launch of newer gears in MOD7/8 several months down the road.
  • kss1985kss1985 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Rob?

Please, correct me if i am wrong... but is this the new way for invocation? I know that now we need to invoke 6 times to get full advantage for 1,5 h every 15 m.. but i didn't know about the rewords.. Are the one you mentioned the one we would like, ot the one that will be?
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Deep inside, some secretly fear that by the time they get their new gears to epic/legendary/mythic levels, the mileage these gears provide may be restricted with the launch of newer gears in MOD7/8 several months down the road.
    Not so deep and not so secretly. :)
    edited March 2015
    kss1985 wrote: »
    Please, correct me if i am wrong... but is this the new way for invocation? I know that now we need to invoke 6 times to get full advantage for 1,5 h every 15 m.. but i didn't know about the rewords.. Are the one you mentioned the one we would like, ot the one that will be?

This is the way that a game called FIREFALL does it.

I would LIKE to see this method in NW, as it rewards people who are actually logged in and playing.

Logging in EVERY HOUR to do the 'Leadership Alt Shuffle' is not a solution. =/ It will just create more stress for the login servers as hundreds and thousands of alts are cycled every hour. =/
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The way I'm planning to do it:

First thing in the morning, invoke on all characters one after the other.
    Switch to Gateway, roll the dice on each character.
    Back to game, set professions on each character.
    By now, 15 minutes have passed, so invoke again.
    When I'm ready to actually play, invoke again, then play.
    Invoke if possible during gameplay time.

I figure I will get 2 - 6 invocations in daily, depending on actual gameplay time. I'm not going to worry about getting the 2nd coin.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Everyone might want to turn off "Friend Notify". It's bad enough to have friends with 10 or more characters constantly loggin on/off for invoking......now multiply by 6. You'll miss all the gold spammers on the chat. :D

Good thing I'm unpopular!!! :rolleyes:
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valwryn wrote: »
    Everyone might want to turn off "Friend Notify". It's bad enough to have friends with 10 or more characters constantly loggin on/off for invoking......now multiply by 6. You'll miss all the gold spammers on the chat. :D

Good thing I'm unpopular!!! :rolleyes:

I think some people have un-friended me because of my alt army. ;)
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1