test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gateway: This connection is not certified

nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Allegedly it's solved, up and working and all, but my FireFox tells me otherwise.

This connection is not certified

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to gateway.playneverwinter.com, but we can not confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are at the right address. However, the identity of this site can not be verified.
ToD = ..........
Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
Post edited by nazghul22 on

Comments

• elvenaarelvenaar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Same for me in Firefox, works w/ Chrome though, albeit very very slowly.
  • darkyhcdarkyhc Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2015
    Got same problems on 3 different pc`s last days, just allow unsecure connections and it should be ok.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is this ONLY happening via Firefox? The specific error returned is "sec_error_unknown_issuer"
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
    edited February 2015
    It's not a PC issue atm, but a browser one, they fixed the Chrome certificates, but they obviously forgot to fix the Firefox ones, so one browser acknowledges the Gateway while the other does not, however not everyone can use Chrome as it eats up a whole lot more resources than Firefox does, for me at least, so Chrome is not a sollution, just a stopgap, need Firefox authorised again pls.
    edited February 2015
    Is this ONLY happening via Firefox? The specific error returned is "sec_error_unknown_issuer"

Dunno if it's only Firefox or not as I only have the two browsers mentioned above (I don't even aproach IE w/ a milelong pole ever since they made Win XP unsuported and I'm on Win XP).
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Still broken for me too, also using Firefox.
    Tried clearing the cache/cookies and rebooting - no change.
    Will try Chrome when I am home later.
    Are certificates browser specific? I assumed they were common.
  • mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is quite amusing when you think about the post itself.
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They did NOT fix the SSL.
    And after last nights complete breakdown, the page is back but the response time is so sloppy, it is unusable anyway.

So NO, no significant repair was done. Sorry, guys.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Regular gateway is working for me but beta gateway isn't , when I try to go to beta gateway I get this -

SNuF9Lw.jpg
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • sthgodchillasthgodchilla Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This happend to me couple of days age. this is really an old issue and ppl who are responsible for that can´t tell me they are not aware of it. it´s a big facepalm
    lack of quality

(proof is in the german forum there´s a much older thread)
  • bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It works for me. I use Firefox too.

Anyway, find "cert_override.txt" file in your profile dir and delete it. Alternatively reset your whole profile.

Also I think they put out the worst advice to add a security exception to your browser. You mustn't add any exception to any browser (unless you're a dev on intranet site).
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • nps2nps2 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I still get the same error about certificate on my android phone whether I use the Chrome or the built in regular browser. Tried clearing all history,cache, and cookie data but it still shows the error. When I check the certificate it shows the new one. It works fine on my PC with chrome however.
  • drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I got in this morning using Opera, BUT, it was NOT a secured connection. It was http and not https.
    Which can be okay if you are on a wired solo connection but certainly not if you are on wifi.
    DON'T
    PANIC!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't get it.

Why is "security" so important to people using any thing *Google* (like Chrome browser or the search engine) or Firefox? Seriously? Google and Mozilla (and especially Google) are tracking every blink of an eye you do, through the browser itself, not to even mention web pages.

So they turned off the "s" in "https". Big deal? Hardly. Gateway is working great. I don't have a problem worrying about Cryptic being any kind of hacker, etc. As for login credentials being passed through the open, it's not your bank and chances are your password is woefully inadequate to begin with. If were a genuinely adequate password then chances are you're using a password manager like 1Password or many of the others like you should be doing.

And those password managers often have plugins your favorite browser (even the notorious spies like Google Chrome) - and can pass your login credentials into an open web page while bypassing the browser entirely (through and encrypted "post" technique).

But all of this is moot. My real question is: what's the big deal? It's just a game web site.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because it's Cryptic's *job* to protect their customers' data, however insignificant you might think that is. Gateway is an official platform supported by them, which is why they say to not use any third-party apps to access it.

Anyway, Firefox definitely isn't happy (but can be bypassed). Chrome seems to be fine with it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't get it.

Why is "security" so important to people using any thing *Google* (like Chrome browser or the search engine) or Firefox?

Firefox is the most secure browser known to mankind.

Why?

Because you can look under the hood. You can access and check its source code, you can check what it's doing. No other browser offers this security, you need to put blind faith into all other browsers and their companies.

Why security should be such a concern since this is "just a game"?

Because you put money into your account. You care for your account, you care for your toons.
    JMYwySk.jpg
    edited February 2015
    bernatk wrote: »
    Why security should be such a concern since this is "just a game"?
    Because you put money into your account. You care for your account, you care for your toons.

Yes, yes, I get it. My *point* is this: if security is that important to you, why are you relying on the browser and web site certificates for that security instead of a good password manager, which are really locked-down tight and actually bypass browser vulnerabilities (which they *all* have)?

BTW I use Safari on OS X. So as for most secure browser: maybe FireFox is, I don't know. But my combination of Browser+OS+Password-Manager is rock-steady. Because I take security seriously. :)

And to clarify (because: always lost in translation): I'm not debunking anything said by anyone, I am just wondering: if the security is that important to you why are you not using secure software (Password manager)? Because else-wise the debate is just academic. And if you aren't, then why does no certificate bother you? (I know: login credentials, so then why not the secure software?)

See the apparent cyclical oxymoron there? This is what is generating my curiosity.
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Personally I despise anything that holds my passwords but my own head. Password managers? Hell no. I don't care how encrypted the file is. If it can be encrypted, it can be decrypted. The only safe place to store passwords is in your head. And yes, I have passwords over 50 characters long. Still, my head is the safest place in the world. Otherwise, I agree with your point about using secure software besides using secure connections. One is worthless without the other.

That is awesome. yes. really. God I wish I could do that.
    And Safari isn't that safe in itself, although safer than GC. It's just not that often targeted. Same goes for OSX. People consider themselves safe because it's not the main target of most malware. But that's not an excuse not to use a decent AV and firewall. I'm not saying you're not secure. I can't since I don't know what you have running on that system. It's more of a general statement and not aimed at you personally.

Absolutely, 100% accurate to the letter. and I concur with you all the way. :)

It comes down to being diligent and careful all the way around because everything everywhere is never as secure or "safe" as you'd like it to be. I am looking at this thread and thinking to myself: Legitimate concerns and questions, but are we actually just being selective with our own efforts at security and throwing the gauntlet at Cryptic/PWE for no real genuine reason other than something has changed?

As for the OP and others in the thread: I get it. But it sure made me curious in these regards.
  • ndiovndiov Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yes, yes, I get it. My *point* is this: if security is that important to you, why are you relying on the browser and web site certificates for that security instead of a good password manager, which are really locked-down tight and actually bypass browser vulnerabilities (which they *all* have)?

You have no idea what you are talking about. SSL (used by https over :443) is used to encrypt the data you send back and forth from a server. So anyone on the network between you and them have to decode it to read it. A password manager would just send your password in clear text if you are NOT using SSL. If you are on a public wifi I could easily see your password even when using a password manager. SSL would prevent that. Sure its a game but SSL/https is used for banks and credit card transactions too. Password manager is just helping you use more secure password and changing them from site to site to app, its should be used WITH encryption.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    But all of this is moot. My real question is: what's the big deal? It's just a game web site.

Yea it sure is moot because you obviously haven't the first clue what you are talking about.

It's kind of a "big deal", for a company that exists entirely,*100%* completely and totally, on the internet, to be so.. SO bad at the internets. That's why.
  • ndiovndiov Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Uhm..password managers only type the requested information for you. They don't send any data apart from their own file to the program you're using. They have nothing to do or even care about any SSL connections. The password manager shouldn't even touch the internet directly. The data isn't even sent over the net unless you confirm the data in your browser by pressing enter or clicking the logon button.
    The few I know that do send data directly over the internet, have their own encryption.

Of course, they just remember your password and enter it at your request. Look at the conversation. He's saying the password manager is protecting him and we don't SSL/HTTPS. Blatantly incorrect. You need to encrypt all data sent, doesn't matter if you typed it or the manager filled it in for you.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    For those on Firefox, this has nothing to do with an invalid certificate but is because you need to update your browser to the latest version. Closing this up now, see the following thread for details on this and for mobile devices. You may also need to properly update other browsers as well, or wait for those browsers to publish an update.

Connecting to Neverwinter Gateway on Firefox on PC - Use version 36

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
    [ RoC | ToS | Support ]
This discussion has been closed.