test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question regarding lockboxes

askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm back trying this game again after leaving shortly after release. I really love the gameplay, classes, and etc... it's the nickel and dime, leave a bad taste in your mouth manner in which some things in this game are done. I'm hoping to look past that this time around out of my sheer love for AD&D and the Forgotten Realms setting.

I'm allocating myself $20 a month for zen, which would mainly be used for lockbox keys. (which is $5 more than total uninhibited access to other MMO's) I've already spent $100 on zen since coming back for bags, a companion and some other 1-time purchase type things. Going forward though I wanna treat this like any other MMO and limit what I spend.

I will be doing mainly end-game raiding and open world stuff, very little PVP.. at least not planning on it. (actually not sure, havent even tried PVP in this game but not typically big into PVP in other games)

My question is outside of mounts, companions, cosmetics, etc... what stuff is only available in lock boxes that I would need to be competitive in end-game raiding? I'm just curious if limiting myself to opening 20 lock boxes a month is going to impact my ability to get my gearscore high enough to find a raiding slot.

It's really hard to figure out what can only be gleaned thru zen, or lock boxes, etc...

Thx for any info.
Post edited by askopdkapok on

Comments

• Options
    rawlor9krawlor9k Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly, lockboxes are almost never worth the gamble. First focus on getting what you need to be competitive, and for now focus on your artifact weapon & offhand and other items and getting them to epic (purple) level (and after that don't worry about them, seriously).

You will want a epic mount (purchased with zen so all characters on your account get it), and you will want an augment companion on your character. You will probably also want to focus on jewelcrafting for awhile since that gives you BiS jewellery items. After all that you can put your money into the NW lottery (lockboxes).

Keep in mind Mod 6 is coming in the next several months with a level cap increase which is going to upset many things.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cool thx for the info.. I kinda figured after accumulating 200 of these by the time I was 40 that they weren't gonna be worth the money. I don't even bother to pick them up anymore unless they are right at my feet.

Already have a level 3 spider mount from the $150 pack I bought at release so I'm set with a mount.. and honestly I don't even use my mount much since I'm that guy that explores ever pixel and loots every possible thing. =)

Cool thx for the info. I just wasn't sure what all was gleaned from only lock boxes.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Your best bet would be to buy A.D. with that Zen and then purchase those Lockbox items from the A.H.
    As of right this minute the only Lockbox items that would affect your End Game would be Artifacts and you would do better to just buy them on the A.H.
    Unless you are one of the Whales that deal in massive quantities of Zen and AD and can litorally open hundreds, even THOUSANDS of Boxes at once then don't look to get any one particular item or look to turn any kind of profit from them.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what stuff is only available in lock boxes that I would need to be competitive in end-game raiding?

Uhhhrrrr... nothing? As it should be.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can't think of anything in boxes that would raise your GS, except active bonuses from companions, or anything that can't be bought on the AH. Though tenebrous and plaguefire enchants come from lockboxes, and you can buy coal wards with the tradebars you get. Of course, that stuff can be bought on the AH, if you sell your zen. It's probably going to stay at 500AD per Zen for awhile.

Actually, if you win the lottery twice in a row, you can get blue artifacts, but that's a very long shot.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'll tell you what I do. When I feel like buying lotto tickets I use the Zax to buy 10 keys. Sort of like my old habit of buying scratch off tickets once in a blue moon. Only this way I don't spend any real money.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    In the beginning, and even in STO, I would never get anything good. This turned me off from locked boxes for a long time. However, the past 3 types of locked boxes have been good to me in Neverwinter. I am no longer reserve to buy keys with my excess AD anymore. I still don't spend real money-bought Zen on them though. Instead, I spend that Zen on things like Mounts, Companions, Character Slots, Bank Slots, and so on. When I do buy keys with AD through the ZAX, it is only when I have enough for a 10-pack, as with the 10-pack, the 10th one is free when compared to paying for 10 keys individually.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    There might probably be a new lockbox coming in module 6. Might be better off just stocking up on keys
  • Options
    rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There might probably be a new lockbox coming in module 6. Might be better off just stocking up on keys

This.

I'm terrible with Neverwinter spending though. Sometimes I spend $100 + in a fortnight because I get this urge to buy shiny things and take the risk. Sometimes I spend a more respectable 10-20. I've opened about 400-500 lockboxes give or take, and I've gotten 3 artifact belts, 2 artifact cloaks, laughing skull, Rage drake, about 7 lesser plaguefire, and numerous epic crafting items / companion related things. No Legendaries as of yet, but my friend Got a Tensers disc once, Although he sold it when their price was lower than it is now :(

A lot of the boxes like "Draconic enchantment strongbox" and "artifact provisions pack" I used to just sell on AH though for the guaranteed return.
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The most worthwhile game performance boosting stuff from Lockboxes - Plague Fire and Tenebrous enchantments - are available for acceptable prices on the AH, too. So I very rarely buy keys.

On the pro side: The Tarmalune bars will buy you Coal Wards, so if youre into upgranding Weapon/Armor enchants or want to get you artifact(-gear) to orange, they can be an option. When you figure in what AD you get for the Lockbox stuff you sell on the AH, the Coal Ward costs about 120-180% of what you'd pay with direct buying, but you might have gotten some nice Profession Asset or Enchant to keep for yoursellf. And when you're lucky, the revenue can pay for another 30 or more keys :^)

But basically, yeah, it's gambling, and the summed revenues are about 50-70% of your input, in my experience...
  • Options
    blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    don't bother buying keys, exchange the zen for 500 ad each and buy that item you want, sooner or later you'll have enough.

or as someone else mentioned save the keys for the new lockboxes and hope you strike rich. One starts at each new mod and one at the halfway point roughly a month-two months after mod release.

If nothing tickles your fancy in those lockboxes keep saving them keys, or just save your zen until something you like in the store is there reason? I've bought about 200 keys got nothing worth a key 90% of the time by AH / zax exchange values. Could probably buy a couple companions from the scales though, if i cared enough to do so, even then seems like a waste as they are worth next to nothing.
  • Options
    tristanusstristanuss Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This week i open a lot of drac lockboxes and found its the best one. Even if u pick the worst reward its not a big lose of ad. (1 mop + 1 rank 6 = about 30-40k reward depending on what kinda of enchant. ) so the chance of getting a good reward is great!

Another day i got Brilliant refin stone + gmop when i opened one, 1,5kk reward for 55k i expended. :)
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't bother spending AD/$/euros on lockboxe keys until there is nothing left to improve.
    Use those 20$ you have in ZEN monthly to improve your chars. Get them better enchants, better gear, those armor kits, nice companions for active bonus.
    When your done -> lockboxes.

It is mostly a useless gamble.
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I buy keys every now and then for fun. (Usually with AD, rather than Zen, or a combination of the two)
    I've never gotten anything really spectacular out of the boxes, but I generally break even when it comes to value.
    One of the advantages to lockboxes is that sometimes you can also get campaign stuff out of them, which means skipping another day of grinding dailies - which is a key well spent IMO, since dailies quickly go from being fun to feeling like work. (I'm looking at you especially, Sharandar!)

If you like the element of surprise, go for it. But don't go in with the expectation of getting rich from opening boxes, or you'll likely wind up sorely disappointed. (Unless you're one of those people that has Tymora on their side all the **** time. In which case I officially hate you. :mad: ))
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Many people commented here already, but im really into the topic so I hope my words might find some attention.

Lockboxes - Their purpose, their risk-reward and my experience on droprates

Since Neverwinter Online is a free-to-play game, there has to be money made on a consistant basis elsewhere.
    Now don't be foolish and say: "*** them, they only want to make money!"

*We get new content every couple months while other MMOs run for years without any new modules (free or not).
    *Neverwinter does have a micro-transaction system, therefore you can play the game 100% free and as of now there is
    only a single race that you "have to buy".
    *Neverwinter is a game with a very friendly early gearcurve.
    *While it is indeed hard to get Artifact Gear and Artifacts to legendary level or enchantments to Rank 10 (Perfect equals r10),
    none of that is necessary and the actual gear doesn't take to much to farm.
    *Neverwinter is very rich in lore and has much to explore. Yes, there are some minor issues here and there (e.g. the spellplague-cataclysm backround is not very creative for DnD).

Well somebody has to pay for all that! ZEN sales, Packs and Lockboxes are there to cover that.
    Lockboxes are with their droprates not designed to actually be "worth" the input.
    Also every module we get 2 Lockboxes so about every 2 months, there is a new one to keep up the prices of the
    drops in the auction house and moreover the interest for people to buy it.
    However, its random so you can get lucky.

My personal experience:

I've spent 1126 Keys to get a [Tenser's Floating Disk].
    I got none ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (2 Companions the most valuable drops).
    On the other hand I got a [Pseudodragon] from using 10 Keys I had from a trade.
    Since I really wanted a Tensers I bought one from somebody. He said he used 2 Keys and got it from the second.

So if you have the money, heck why not. If you wanna be rich ingame - it is probably not the best idea.
    There are cases when Lockbox opening is rewarding, in most cases that is when epic mounts score that high prices.
    However, since they are not designed to make rich people "richer". The game will be adjusted to prevent that from happening.

Lockbox Drops - Their necessity
    Lockbox drops are in very, very rare cases necessary.
    You mostly get vanity items and "shortcuts".
    What I mean with shortcuts are items that give you campaign resources to quicken your campaign progress, coins that let you upgrade companions and similar things.
    The only things that are on my view "needed" are for example artifacts that are BiS for your char, Metallic Ancestral Dragonborn Race that would be best for your char or pets that are BiS for you. Then again they will be aviable through the auction house and since there is no guarantee for a specific thing to drop from lockboxes its on average cheaper to buy the item from AH.

Thank you for reading
    BlackyLuke
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    blackyluke wrote: »
    snip

As someone who claims to have spent over $1000 worth on zen (whether you used ad or not), it's odd that you defend it. I mean really, there's no reason to ever have to spend that much and you still didn't get what you wanted. The value is just not in this game. New content every couple of months is pushing it, modules come out longer than that. However I'd say that most people aren't satisfied with the content that has come out. Games are here for the player experience and when I feel that they're trying to get away with providing as little value as possible with as little care as they can get away with, I'm not going to be satisfied. There's really no justification for some of the high costs and low drop rates in this game.

Never should you be capable of spending a grand on a game. Never should you not get what you want from doing so...
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ...ummm, why not?

People spend five digits a night in Vegas or online poker games. Not the smartest of their moves, but fully legal. Basically, the ethics there might well be challengeable and/or doubtful, but there's the thing about "doing it on their own free will". Also, I wouldn't do it. But heck, when people want to do that, who am I to object.

That's the business model here. Much better IMHO than monthly fees, high prices for the game without a chance to evaluate it before, forced keystone pay-items, or a game difficulty not withstandable without pay items.
  • Options
    totallynotfrishtotallynotfrish Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2015
    ...ummm, why not?

People spend five digits a night in Vegas or online poker games. Not the smartest of their moves, but fully legal. Basically, the ethics there might well be challengeable and/or doubtful, but there's the thing about "doing it on their own free will". Also, I wouldn't do it. But heck, when people want to do that, who am I to object.

That's the business model here. Much better IMHO than monthly fees, high prices for the game without a chance to evaluate it before, forced keystone pay-items, or a game difficulty not withstandable without pay items.

People doing that kind of gambling can also win money even if the odds aren't in their favour. Here you win some pixel candy or junk. If I want pixel candy, I'll buy a full standalone game for £30-50 for new releases. That's a long time I can be occupied for with a lot more content before I'm likely to win the top epic items let alone legendary. Plus you know, there's issues such as clipping on the gorgon mount and racial bonuses being broken on the metallic dragonborn. I mean really, no game is worth that amount of money.