test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Proudly Presents: "The Matchmaking" (Video)

geministrikegeministrike Member Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2015 in PvP Discussion
Hello Everybody,

Here is a glimpse of awesome(!) matchmaking system of Neverwinter. I have dozens of videos like this one. This is the proof to the devs that their so called "matchmaking system" isn't working. Some matches you enter the arena just to wait to lose. Because you have no other option given how bad the matchmaking system is. And the best part is that if you leave matches like this you get 30 mins penalty. You are simply being put there by the game to loose. What's the mentality behind this? Please enjoy the video and feel free to share your opinions.

Update: As far as I see the Devs actually don't really think that this matter is urgent (It really is!). If this keeps up more and more people will be frustrated resulting the end of pvp for Neverwinter. You may enjoy part 2 as much as I did...

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlvMQmd-aPk

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LnPT4olV0Q

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBec2LuwFM
Post edited by geministrike on

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The reason the matchmaking doesn't work is because so few people are actually queuing for PvP. The system is working with what is has.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd just like to point out, that the disclaimer alone is enough to break the rules and get this topic locked. Might wanna remove it.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    yep. Can't fault it for low population values.
  • trouble#8887 trouble Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    The reason the matchmaking doesn't work is because so few people are actually queuing for PvP. The system is working with what is has.

Sorry I lost the part where you also explained why couldn't it take 2 of each team and switch them?
  • geministrikegeministrike Member Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Guys the video you watched showing that how pathetic the matchmaking system is. It's keeping me waiting on the queue for like 9 mins and then I'm ending up in a match like this... This is plain 20 mins waste for me and if i leave 39 mins waste for me.

Matchmaking logic: Even if the opponent team absolutely superior to you in everyway that you cannot even do anything, you just have to wait for the match to end and waste your time.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    seven7y wrote: »
    Sorry I lost the part where you also explained why couldn't it take 2 of each team and switch them?

Exactly. Instead of putting all those 20k guys together, the system could've spread them between two teams.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Exactly. Instead of putting all those 20k guys together, the system could've spread them between two teams.

most likely thwy queue as premade.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No match makes like this is to blame for the low population. Putting featherweights against super heavy weights in a no weight class league only lets the heavy weights play for fun.
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Fun stuff. I seem to recall PvP players whining and complaining for a leaver penalty to be implemented. So it was despite many correctly stating it would do more harm then good.
    Now that it happened there is whining about having to wait imbalanced matches out? Excuse me while I lol. This was the pill that was wanted. Now swallow it and enjoy waiting at the campfires.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    karakla1 wrote: »

Did you even watch the video? There were only two guys from the same guild.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited January 2015
    caexar wrote: »
    Fun stuff. I seem to recall PvP players whining and complaining for a leaver penalty to be implemented. So it was despite many correctly stating it would do more harm then good.
    Now that it happened there is whining about having to wait imbalanced matches out? Excuse me while I lol. This was the pill that was wanted. Now swallow it and enjoy waiting at the campfires.

Please do not flame others before knowing stuff. I was against the leaver penalty from the beginning. I even made a topic about that last year. Here;

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?639451-Leaver-Penalty-Problem-(Video-Below)

And beside that's not even the topic we're talking about here. I would have no problem with the leaver penalty if there were "matchmaking" but as you guys can clear see there is non.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited January 2015

The system has never worked in a way that it produced more balanced matches than unbalanced ones and it has even struggled to outperform the old system without any matchmaking and no leaver penalty. It's a bitter piece of wasted effort that could have been spend on something better and perfectly fits into the worst mod to date, Icewind Dale.

Now it's getting more and more obvious and that's a good thing. Matchmaking and the leaver penalty have to go for unranked matches, that's the only way out.
    edited January 2015

That doesn't mean they didn't premade, but I fully agree that these kind of matches shouldn't happen. Not sometimes, not occasionally, not if the population is low. Never.

If the system only has some 9k scrubs to match up against a (partial) premade, then no match is better than any match. It's wasted time for everybody anyway. People start to cry an ocean whenever they have to wait like ten minutes in a queue but who ****ing cares if the resulting match is at least half-decent.

In a ranked system, I'd be willing to wait much much longer than ten minutes.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    karakla1 wrote: »
    loboguild wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they didn't premade, but I fully agree that these kind of matches shouldn't happen. Not sometimes, not occasionally, not if the population is low. Never.

That was definitely a premade. Just because people aren't in the same guild doesn't mean they won't play together. It's not uncommon for me to run pre-formed groups without any repeating guild titles simply because so many of my friends are in different guilds.

However making it never happen is not exactly possible. As people said there's a low population and the system is working with what it has. Eventually that premade is going o need a match and if a balanced one can't be found in a reasonable length of time it's going to at least give them a match to play in.
  • cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They should do it like it is for Tiamat and everyone get's randomly put in a squad, with a balanced power on both sides.
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree it isnt a good system. If I go solo I get 2 semi-geared players and 2 10k playes without enchants. Its not 1x or 2x.. its all the time if I solo. The other team is usually all 23-24k. And I have been on the other side. Honestly they probably aren't a Premade. I have been in groups accused of running a PM and just solo q'd. So something is not working right regardless of low population. And it hasnt been looked at or adjusted.

And to be fair.. this isnt fun for the 5 guys on the other side with 23-24k gs. It isnt challenging and its not a good match. I'm sure some people love facerolling a team and think they have skill when they do it to pugs. But truthfully it sucks and I think most pvp'rs agree. I think the LB should probably get removed at this point. At least we might see some actual pm vs pm's because people wouldnt have a metric to base themselves on, which has led to people not pvp'ing anymore
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015

well the reason that hardly anyone is queueing is because the matchmaking sucks....vicious circle..

imo pvp needs a number of tiered queues; low, mid, high - based on gs, or ilvl (whatever they are implementing mod6)
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starbigamo wrote: »
    but we know who to blame for low pop right?

Lol overpowered CLASSES and tenacity system. :(

Well, as one of the haves who hang out with the PvP community on dragon server, even though I am not truly one of them. I dont pvp because things are so broken

They're frustrated with it too. Now sure, there are dicks who enjoy getting into a match where they can just beat the everloving $@#! out of people, but they want to be challenged too....

PvP can be great when the matches are equal, but honestly. They're not. The group you fought was more likely a premade or a partial premade. They wont break premade groups up for PvP matching. Even though they will do that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a Tiamat raid.....go figure the logic there people, I sure cant.

Say it's low population for PvP or a bad system. The truth is that EVERYBODY is frustrated about it. I hear the 23k people getting upset about it too... The whole system isnt designed well.

Now I feel the have's should be doing more to help the have nots in PvP, but TBH it is NOT their job to help Cryptic and PWE fix this mess that is Neverwinter PvP.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    PvP's always been rather horrible on Neverwinter. Ranging from grossly overpowered classes to the more recent insurmountable gear gap that pretty much makes it impossible for a new character to be even remotely useful against geared players who can just faceroll them over and over.

I guess it's what happens when every MMO HAS to have PvP these days.
    Artificer.jpg
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The main problem is that there are too few PvP Players in Neverwinter. I have often the feeling if i queue and get a queue in like 1-3 minutes the match is balanced because the system knows there are people matching my Gearscore+Leaderboardscore. After 5 or more Minutes i get pretty much "random" matches (the system seems to try to get everyone in a match). Which are similar to the video.
    Like some other people in this forum mentioned: there are not much PvP Players in Neverwinter. Only 5-10% of the players are playing PvP. This means that there are not much players queuing in the same timeframe this leads to another conclusion: No System would make it better. Maybe if the PvP gets a vast overhaul which leads to more player in PvP would be a solution, but this needs a lot of effort, hard work and money and i think it is not likely that PWE/Cryptic will do it (and like Roger from the AMA mentioned there are no vast PvP Updates in the near future planned to release).

It is a bit of a shame because well designed PvP could increase Neverwinters lifespan beyond PvE content...
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
    edited January 2015
    That was definitely a premade. Just because people aren't in the same guild doesn't mean they won't play together. It's not uncommon for me to run pre-formed groups without any repeating guild titles simply because so many of my friends are in different guilds.

However making it never happen is not exactly possible. As people said there's a low population and the system is working with what it has. Eventually that premade is going o need a match and if a balanced one can't be found in a reasonable length of time it's going to at least give them a match to play in.

ambisinisterr if that's the case then queue should tell to those pre-mades or whatever that there aren't enough eligible players to create a match. Why do I suffer because of this? Why do I have to waste my time that because those high gs players can't find a match? Do you really think this is the right way? I don't think so. I shouldn't be slaughtered just because there aren't many players q-ing. It is a waste of time for me since I cannot leave the match either... Not to mention the huge frustration... With that logic, you are actually telling me that the matchmaking is working like a lottery and picks random players to be slaughtered if there are not many ppl to create a match. This is ridicilous. If this is the promised matchmaking, I can tell you that the devs need to have look at this system more detailed.
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is less and less pvp players in Neverwinter because they get discouraged by matchmaking so I think you'll explaining the problem by its results...
  • theevilskeevertheevilskeever Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    azahron wrote: »
    PvP's always been rather horrible on Neverwinter. Ranging from grossly overpowered classes to the more recent insurmountable gear gap that pretty much makes it impossible for a new character to be even remotely useful against geared players who can just faceroll them over and over.

Used to be a bit better. Devs seriously dropped the ball with PvP, and that's a darn shame. What's the point of gathering all that shiny gear otherwise? There's no PvE content where it's truly needed. PvP could be the answer, but two maps? No open world PvP? No duels? Broken matchmaking system? And even no way to, say, switch the artifacts off at the lower level PvP (so the new players won't be slaughtered by troll twinks)? Why would anybody even bother to get in - for what, 4k rough diamonds? Gee, I'll pass.
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I vote to close PVP period. It's becoming an ugly step sister that doesnt belong and has no hope of going to the ball.

PVP certainly seems to cause a disproportionate amount of player pain and anguish, especially as we keep being told PVP is a minority activity, but I'm not sure just banning it is the solution! It also seems to bring out the worst in people, both in game and on the forum, which I guess is just frustration. NW is simply not a PVP game. They've tried to bolt-on some PVP but inevitably it falls short of expectations, a bit like if you tried to add some role-playing to Call of Duty. I can see the devs expanding it a little but I don't think it will ever be a "proper" PVP game so it will always disappoint. Frankly, if PVP is the main thing you look for in a game then you may need a different game.

And, yeah, the matchmaking system is rubbish, but that is just a symptom of the greater problem.
  • bashteros1234bashteros1234 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Since Mod 2 I don't PVP anymore, so my idea may be bad.

What would happen if there would be a "only single player queue hour" - no premades allowed during that special hour (yes, separate queues would be better, but that would need more development resources).
    Maybe the matchmaking algorithm could work better, because the good geared people could be put in different teams.

Yes, you cannot play with your friends/guild members and yes you cannot roflstomp PUGS and yes there will probably be beginners in your team who underperform - but perhaps the match would be fun.
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This system is completely broken. Queue's take too long and I am no longer convinced it has anything to do with how many players there are pvp'ing.

Last night we tried to set up an in-house. Everyone has really similar gear. queue up.. it takes 20 minutes at least. Both groups pop.. except we dont even get each other we both get 2 different groups with a disparity in gear. Q'ing against each other used to be easy to do.. with less people should be even easier.
    GShBCGl.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Eventually that premade is going o need a match and if a balanced one can't be found in a reasonable length of time it's going to at least give them a match to play in.

They are not given a match to play, I'm lost why people fail to understand it really. They are given a match in which after 30 seconds everybody idles. Hell yeah, that's much more fun than waiting...

At worst in the time they are forced to sit out the horrible matchmaking, a better matchup might have come up. Again: In that case, no match is superior to any match.
  • crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That is true. Right now matchmaking is only problem. You are waiting 10 minutes usually or sometimes more and in the end u are landing in game which last 5-7 minutes. I mean if this matchmaking does not work why keep it? One people crushes the other all the way and it's not all you still have to wait looong time to enter game. Just terminate this matchmaking because it doesn't help, it only makes people wait longer than game last.
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    People are saying it "used to not be this bad" I would disagree. Back when this whole thing started with module 3, there was a huge population so que times were near instant but it only took about 2 weeks before you started seeing the same issues that we do today.

The issue: Mis-matched games.

Also the BIG issue that causes most people to NOT que is losing ELO by winning matches. I know this caused MANY players to not want to que for PVP.

MOST of the friends I have in this game refuse to que solo or even duo Que because there is a high chance they will get matched against a premade and stand zero chance of winning.

Even if they do win, there is yet another high chance of actually LOSING ELO.

Also the THIRD factor in all of this, even if you WONT get matched against a premade, and WONT lose ELO for winning, the "balance" is HORRENDOUS right now.

I have lost count of how many "TR" threads there are now where people are complaining about how stupid OP the class is. There have been MANY suggestions on how to tone the class down but there has been ZERO response from the DEVs and ZERO action taken by the DEV team to fix this class.

MOST of the classes are actually pretty well balanced with SW and GWF bringing up the rear arguably needing a small buff.

The only class that CLEARLY need to be tweaked is TR, one look at even the broken leaderboards can tell you this. Or just take any 14k GS TR into PVP against a 24k GS SW or GWF and you can easily easily 1 shot them or two shot with SoD or just at will them to death with Shadowy Opportunity. Now I digress though....

1) Need to fix matchmaking, I am HOPING this new "average item level" will be A way to address that, however I hope it records each persons "high water mark" locking them into their highest item level for PVP purposes to avoid people equipping bad gear to get easy Ques.

2) Need to seriously REMOVE the ability to LOSE ELO by winning. This is a COMPLETE morale killer

3) ALL piercing damage needs to be re-coded to INSTEAD of "ignoring all DR" it should "attack with 100% armor penetration" - What this does is allows mechanics like Tenacity to still come into play which is DESPERATELY needed. It also fixed coding errors for feats that make you immune to damage for a short time. This would affect: Shocking Execution, Shadowy Opportunity, Shadow of Demise as well as piercing blades (HR feat).

If you do these THREE things, the pvp population will grow again and the game will be much more balanced with MUCH less QQ on the forums about PVP.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    3) ALL piercing damage needs to be re-coded to INSTEAD of "ignoring all DR" it should "attack with 100% armor penetration" - What this does is allows mechanics like Tenacity to still come into play which is DESPERATELY needed. It also fixed coding errors for feats that make you immune to damage for a short time. This would affect: Shocking Execution, Shadowy Opportunity, Shadow of Demise as well as piercing blades (HR feat).

I think this won't work, i believe 'damage immunity' such as steel defense etc. is just 100% damage resistance. Since arpen is the anti- dmg resistance it would result in the same effect. A possible solution would be to, let the 'piercing damage' skills hit for 150-200% damage, instead. That way, the immunity skills would function properly, i.e. block (semi dmg immunity) steel defense, etc. and piercing damage would still hit hard, but could be mitigated.