test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Appearance & Customization Suggestions

peerukott1peerukott1 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Really this section of the game could do with a little upgrade.
I would love to see more and better types of facial hair and hair in general.
Is it that hard to add some proper goatees instead of this half shaven <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that are called goatees at the moment.
Also I know that this is a bigger ask but how about some more body scaling options. Everybody doesnt have to fit as a string. I would love to have maybe a dwarf priest with a beer belly or a gwd who has seen some hard times. Some unfit skins would be really fun.

Any thoughts people ?
Post edited by peerukott1 on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I'd be happy to have:

• Blue and Green eye color for Drow.
    • "Big Wave" hairstyle for females. Foundry authors know what this style is.
    • Height slider.
    • Bring the nail slider back.

Here's some of my OLD comments on appearance things:

The drow missing about 1/2 of their source material listed appearance traits. No blue eyes, no green eyes, no yellow hair, skin tone has no purple or blue undertones in any of the skin colors. Hair length is far too short, especially for drow females.

I'd also like a character appearance designer that is as robust as Champions Online and Star Trek Online, within the limits of D&D Specifications for a particular race of course. I do not want to be limited to just a handful of ways to customize my character's appearance (not talking about gear here) or the "most popular" - I would like a full range of choices that is found in PnP Character Generation for appearance. For instance, I may wish to make a 6'6" tall drow that has blue eyes and hair that flows down to the ground, akin to a good drow priestess of Eilistrasee. Or, I may wish to make a short 5'2" Half-Elf that is actually 1/2 drow and be able to make that distinction in their appearance.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And I would like to have the pre-mod 3 options. I can't stand all those duck faces and giant foreheads, not to mention hair made of glass.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ulviel wrote: »
    And I would like to have the pre-mod 3 options. I can't stand all those duck faces and giant foreheads, not to mention hair made of glass.

Many of us would. Unfortunately Wizards of the Coast updated the look of all races in 5e. Hal flings, for example, are ridiculously... uh, let us just say 'exponentially unattractive' now.
    edited January 2015
    Many of us would. Unfortunately Wizards of the Coast updated the look of all races in 5e. Hal flings, for example, are ridiculously... uh, let us just say 'exponentially unattractive' now.

Some of those changes maybe, but I have a hard time to belive the oily skin and the hair (try to make it black!) and overall "barbiefication" is because of WotC.

P.S. Even if character creator is not an evidence for simple lazyness and bad design, NPCs are. To especially bad belongs, for example, an elf peasant (the one without eyebrows), and overall elves (males kinda more), but not only. Overall noses are bad, and necks should be a reason to fire whoever made them.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've said it before, but it's something that I would love to see. I want different postures to chose from. Maybe 2 or 3 for each class. I especially hate the wizard's idle stance, and I love the rogues, they look like a they're always ready to grab their daggers, while other classes look very boring.
    Also I would love to be able to make fat characters.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    we don't have enough colors, cant color enough stuff and lack a way to view the appearance of the item from the store/AH which makes even harder to differentiate your character.

Also, stuff from the packs should be free transmute, you already paid for them, like warlock and ranger packs and hotn and other that have any piece of gear.

Better character creator would be great, but at least more armor/shirt/pants transmutes are in dire need!
  • heilkraaftheilkraaft Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I just want to know why horc women are "pretty" now. Can you even make them look fierce anymore?
    3IBbXcG.jpg
  • damko00damko00 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ..give us Valindra's Hair from foundry c:
    edited January 2015
    heilkraaft wrote: »
    I just want to know why horc women are "pretty" now. Can you even make them look fierce anymore?

I don't know why, and you can't. I tried.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    no new charater looks fierce (the worst problem).

this new system seems more based on emulating different "racial" phenotys and not a "hq-gekinga/hero-villain".

so, i can create a cristiano ronaldo, but no more a good wolverine.

anyway, the old "character design" had only 3 problems in my opinion.

1 - The hair "super sayan" was restricted to two races if I not mistaken.

2 - to create a "Woman Orc" the bizarre progmathism prevented to making she beautiful, which forced me to round your face.

3 - with round face, a second third defect, the fat under the neck became more prominent.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OK we got the chest slider why no Butt slider ;-)
  • heilkraaftheilkraaft Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kurtb88 wrote: »
    OK we got the chest slider why no Butt slider ;-)

"Leg Bulk" works wonders in that dept ;)
    3IBbXcG.jpg
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    damko00 wrote: »
    ..give us Valindra's Hair from foundry c:
    That's the "Big Wave" style I mentioned. Well, actually Valindra's specifically is the other one (there's 2), that moves about on its own. I doubt we'd get this, as that's added constant animation. But the base "Big Wave" style that a lot of female NPCs use would be awesome.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've always thought that this game needs CO's costume options. Give us hands, shirt, hat, pants, boots as all separate items. And an easier change I'd like to see, is the ability to transmute armor into costume items.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd like to see head/face fashion items that are tattoos/warpaint - I only have 2 characters w/ tattoos of some kind, since I dislike being stuck with them.

I'd like to see the "expression" or "mood" options we have in CO - angry, happy, etc.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    [*]Height slider.

*With a measurable stat (feet/metric) to limit the guess work.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd like in addition there be sliders for the width of the tail for tieflings as well as the already existing length.

And sliders for tusks for half orcs.

More facial hair types.

more longer hair types for men and women.

and for god sakes a hieght slider.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I would be happy if they just let us select facial hair in the foundry instead of being stuck with whatever the base model had. We can't even change the COLOR of facial hair in Foundry. All male NPCs in foundry have to be designed around what kind of facial hair you want them to have or not have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The old hair styles need to be reworked. The textures look gawd awful compared to the new ones but there are old styles that I like.

I want to see more dragonborn features too. They are very limited to what you can do with them without everyone of my toons looking like twins.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As for the hairstyles, I'd really love a "hairdresser/barber" in PE, where you could go, pay some gold and change your hairstyle and color (only that). Or maybe have different hair in 'fashion' mode ....
  • miomans0miomans0 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I really hope mod 6 will do overhaul on the character customization option, heck maybe even change character model the currunt ones are not really well made but that would be asking way too much
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    alkemist80 wrote: »
    The old hair styles need to be reworked. The textures look gawd awful compared to the new ones

I disagree; anyway, I do not doubt that other people have done cool characters with the new charater design, the palette helps in many characters ... but I, personally, can not recreate more, for my sw, the "hq villain formula" that I usually use in my "cw / dc ".

lglg_zpse1511b29.jpg

is a big evil downgrade
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is something I wonder about. I have been away from this game for a couple of months and returned recently. Since I wanted to pick up things again, I started with a new character. Now my old characters were female dwarves and female halflings, so I created another female halfling. Right away it was clear this was not the character I had. Faces are different and in the cases of halflings, bodies have also changed. Perhaps dwarves have changed too, but I could hardly see much difference here.

Female halfling look just bad, little potatoes on tiny legs. Does anybody think they look good? Well, I have four of them from the old version and I will stick to them of course. What did I roll? A human, a half-elf, a drow, a dwarf, all girls of course.

The character creator is robust. I also play STO and that one is better. Overall the characters there look better. In STO we have a reptilian race, the Gorn, when I saw the Dragonborn, I immediately thought, the Gorn have come to Neverwinter, Dragongorn.

No matter the versatillity of the character creator, I have to like what I see. I cannot play with a character that I don't like. D and D online, Gw II, I tried to play those games, but I don't like the characters.

The thing I do not like in this game, is what I call the gear dictate. You have to wear certain gear and the gear is how you look like. The high level rogue gear is horrible. Overall the gear is pompous. I prefer the simple low level items. Transforming is too expensive for me. I don't have that much AD.
  • peerukott1peerukott1 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mifiisu wrote: »
    As for the hairstyles, I'd really love a "hairdresser/barber" in PE, where you could go, pay some gold and change your hairstyle and color (only that). Or maybe have different hair in 'fashion' mode ....

That would be brilliant, I would even pay ad or a small sum of zen for it.
    edited January 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    There is something I wonder about. I have been away from this game for a couple of months and returned recently. Since I wanted to pick up things again, I started with a new character. Now my old characters were female dwarves and female halflings, so I created another female halfling. Right away it was clear this was not the character I had. Faces are different and in the cases of halflings, bodies have also changed. Perhaps dwarves have changed too, but I could hardly see much difference here.

Female halfling look just bad, little potatoes on tiny legs. Does anybody think they look good? Well, I have four of them from the old version and I will stick to them of course. What did I roll? A human, a half-elf, a drow, a dwarf, all girls of course.

The character creator is robust. I also play STO and that one is better. Overall the characters there look better. In STO we have a reptilian race, the Gorn, when I saw the Dragonborn, I immediately thought, the Gorn have come to Neverwinter, Dragongorn.

No matter the versatillity of the character creator, I have to like what I see. I cannot play with a character that I don't like. D and D online, Gw II, I tried to play those games, but I don't like the characters.

The thing I do not like in this game, is what I call the gear dictate. You have to wear certain gear and the gear is how you look like. The high level rogue gear is horrible. Overall the gear is pompous. I prefer the simple low level items. Transforming is too expensive for me. I don't have that much AD.

They've changed char models in mod3. Yes, halflings are awful now, that was one of the most painful changes.

And do not worry, just farm leadership and do dailies 1 month and 50k AD will be no problem at all.
  • gothzilla138gothzilla138 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Body Tattoos. I don't runaround half naked usually but I bet the option would be very popular, and I remember that option being rather robust for it's time in the original neverwinter nights.

Multicolored tattoos, face and or body, please.

Piercings please. I know they exist in the game, let us have them. The first time I saw the PVP Battlemaster I was like "Ooh, there are facial piercings, I must have acciddently skipped over that, shucks!". But when I made my second character I searched about for the Piercings option to know avail, there was much sadness.

Long hair that is down, not bound up in braids and tails or swept back with magical hair gel.

Tiefling chin jaw spike size or amount option not tied to the "face" option.

The ability to have multiple scars, not just one.

Tiefling "Hellboy" horn option, for thos of us playing Tielfing Fighters who realize how ludicrous the horns are in melee combat.

Half Orc Tusk options including sizes and damaged ones (like tiefling horns have)

The option to have Halflings look like the ones from before, or tolkeinish hobbits instead of whatever those...things...are now... Yeah I know thats how they look in 5th ed, but it doesn't make sense in a continuous game that haflings looked like X up until this day and now any that arrive in Neverwinter now look like y...and I'm not sure creatures built like that could move around under their own power much less with the grace and speed they are supposed to possess.

Elven Ear options, Size, shape, possibly ragged or damaged.

Longshot wish never gonna happen dream. Dwarven males can only be beardless if they are of the "Disgraced Dwarf 'Subrace'" who get different dialog from Dwarf NPC's. I play a Dwarf with no hair or beard and used Dirt and stubble coloered reddish options to appear like an outcast who was not only shaved but burne a bit so it'd never grow back. looks great, was proud of Thurder The Clanless, but breaks my immersion to have dwarves speak to me like kin and assign racial quests to me. Not asking for this to happen, I know it won't, just my personal "Dwarven Pie In The Sky"
  • prancerhoodprancerhood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Lately I've been thinking about using a change appearance token on my main, whom I've been playing for year and a half now and got a bit attached to (y'know, 'a bit').

Now we've all had an earful of whether the updated character designs are better or worse than the old ones so I don't want to bring this up again, but when practising Clark's new look on a free character slot I have, I realized that no matter what I do, male elf of any kind (drow in my case) will look pretty darn grim.
    I checked human and wood elf men and they have a few soft-ish expressions but generally look pretty dull and frowny. Elven women get to have a few smiles tho i think.
    Mostly everyone just looks like they are bitter as heck or pity whoever is before of them

I think this got worse than it used to be, because when you make your character dance twostep, they smile, and when my current clark smiles, he looks like this. When I made my new test clark dance, the thing on his face was an expression of someone who just bit a lemon, it looks quite weird and twisted.

My suggestion; add a smile/frown slider somewhere among the mouth/lip sliders, and maybe an eyebrow rotation slider, to get rid of the perma-frown

I know this is probably really, and I mean really insignificant, but talking as someone who doesn't play many alts and really focuses on developing this one character, it's important to me for him to look tip-top (also i've been quiet on the forums for a few months, gotta make frequenters aware of my presence bc i used to talk a lot EDIT: scratch that i totally uploaded a thing like a week ago and forgot and got replies oh god i'm so sorry i didn't thank anyone)

Neverwinter's character creation does a really great job at being realistic and i really respect that, it covers enough fields for characters to be able to look pretty unique, but everyone ends up with a relatively similar looking face, expression-wise, and I'm a nitpicky little sh*t.

I think it would be a bit nicer if there were a few more smiles, grins and smirks in the crowd, as well as ridiculously angry frowns opposed to generally passive-looking faces.

Also I made this with an intention to see what other players might think would be good to add in the character creation options, so please, I'm really curious about what others think is still lacking (also p much any suggestion will probably be more of a big deal than mine lmao)!
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah. The character creation. Honestly? In a few words: port the STO character creation (sliders, hair, face presets) to NW, make a few tweaks and voilà. Dont know what Im talking about? Have a look over there. NW character creation options are good, but for me the STO one is the best Cryptic have done, so far.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah. The character creation. Honestly? In a few words: port the STO character creation (sliders, hair, face presets) to NW, make a few tweaks and voilà. Dont know what Im talking about? Have a look over there. NW character creation options are good, but for me the STO one is the best Cryptic have done, so far.

You clearly have not seen the one in Champions. The sad truth is, with each new game the character creator loses a little bit. By the next Cryptic game we should be all set for playing stick figures.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Actually, I did. For a year. It allows far more option, things nearly impossible and with such degree of customization. Its amazing. But then, again, I like STO more. Idk why, maybe cuz Im not too fond of the comic style of CO. Thats all.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator