test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disable enchantment visuals option.

etnad321etnad321 Banned Users Posts: 52
will we ever get it im really sick of those enchantments visuals that ruin my character look i spend alot of AD for dyes just to get them covered by enchantments :(
Post edited by etnad321 on

Comments

• azealianaazealiana Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Agree. Also let us disable visuals on pants and shirts.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    etnad321 wrote: »
    will we ever get it im really sick of those enchantments visuals that ruin my character look i spend alot of AD for dyes just to get them covered by enchantments :(
    Been asked for before, I doubt it will ever happen.
    azealiana wrote: »
    Agree. Also let us disable visuals on pants and shirts.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Emperor%27s_Plate_Shirt

There are equivalents for ever class for shirts and pants.
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »

There are equivalents for ever class for shirts and pants.

Forget shirts and pants. I want invisible gauntlets (The CW "gauntlets" look very ugly)
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only way it would happen is via a zen store item. They have clearly stated that if there is no money in it, they are not going to put forth time into it (which I can agree with I guess). That said, I think if this was a zone store item..."Item Enhancement Disabler* or some item to use as an appearance change on an enchantment gem...I think people would pay.

Perhaps the idea of paying NOT to see some of their artwork/content is not an attractive option.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    disabling enchantments would be nice, might be used to improve performance by disabling them for other ppl(if you enjoy the look of yours)

also it would be cool if you could replace how your enchantment looks with another visual, they could even sell transmute items in zen store(since i doubt many would sacrifice perfect for looks), though it should either revert to default look on pvp or simply change how you, not others see them
    Paladin Master Race
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only way it would happen is via a zen store item.

And there's nothing wrong with that. There are many players who would find it worth spending Zen on (or AD if they convert). At least there would be an *option*. The code for hiding gear is basically already there for head gear and neck gear, just need to spread that about through the rest.

As for enchantment effects: Makes me wonder wot dumassed idiot decided to create "New Coke" and NOT have a "way out" with that? Er, I mean Enchantment Visuals, not New Coke. You get the idea.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will spend Zen to unlock the ability to disable enchantment visuals. Make it a Character Unlock in the Zen store that costs the same as a character slot or perhaps the same as a retraining token. This way it will be a repeat purchase and not be something that is only bought once per account. That should bring in some profits for it, or at least help the economy, which are all Quality of Life things that bring happiness to players. Paraphrasing: "Happy players tend to be paying players." This was said by your CEO on a dev panel once. :)

I have asked for this since testing and I won't stop, within reason of course!
  • etnad321etnad321 Banned Users Posts: 52
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will spend Zen to unlock the ability to disable enchantment visuals. Make it a Character Unlock in the Zen store that costs the same as a character slot or perhaps the same as a retraining token. This way it will be a repeat purchase and not be something that is only bought once per account. That should bring in some profits for it, or at least help the economy, which are all Quality of Life things that bring happiness to players. Happy players tend to be paying players.

yea i would spend Zen too, to disable enchantment visuals there are some really cool armors and weapons but all of their apperance is ruined by enchantments sadly :(
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    yea i would spend Zen too, to disable enchantment visuals there are some really cool armors and weapons but all of their apperance is ruined by enchantments sadly :(
    Aye. Being able to disable visuals would then entice to me finally make my wpn/armor enchants perfect, for as it is now, I keep them all Lesser or Normal because anything higher and I cannot stand seeing my characters enveloped in effects constantly. Some, yes as it suits them, like Soulforged and Terror on my most played TR and Thunderhead on my Lightning mage because again, it suits them. But that's just two of my characters.

By me (and others) keeping our enchants purposely lesser or normal because of this does nothing to help the economy. Removing the aversion and I am sure, and if I were a betting man, I'd bet that more players would be upgrading their enchants and in effect, buying more Coal Wards and Marks.

What I'd really love to see is to go a step further and allow us to choose any lesser to no visuals than what our current rank of enchantment provides. For example, if I have a Perfect Thunderhead, allow me to: Disable it Entirely or Choose to display it as a Greater, Normal, or Lesser.
  • datura80datura80 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would love to have this option, as a lot of the enchants I REFUSE to even use because they ruin the 'look' I am trying to achieve. I think they would make A LOT more money off people using quite a few more diverse enchants if they made this possible. Believe it or not TONNES of neverwinter players are going for asthetics. I know it's quite important to me. There is money in it for Criptic for SURE.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will spend Zen to unlock the ability to disable enchantment visuals. Make it a Character Unlock in the Zen store that costs the same as a character slot or perhaps the same as a retraining token. This way it will be a repeat purchase and not be something that is only bought once per account. That should bring in some profits for it, or at least help the economy, which are all Quality of Life things that bring happiness to players. Paraphrasing: "Happy players tend to be paying players." This was said by your CEO on a dev panel once. :)

Bingo. There's a lot they seem to be avoiding/missing out on in terms of character customization that could net them a lot of repeat purchases though.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Zeb speaks for me.

This question was answered by heyrogers in the AMA saying if he had to give a yes or no answer the answer would be no but I can not accept any reason for a no

....especially since anybody who thinks it wouldn't be profitable clearly doesn't understand how much people will pay for cosmetics. (if it is a reasonable fee)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    Well, I have seen the Reddit "Q&A" where this was brought up and the answer above about it needing to be profitable for them is the accurate response. I don't agree with it on a player level, but it makes business sense. To divert coders away from future money making enterprises to code and on/off for black smoke is not logical.

I DO want to jump on the bandwagon about paying for it though and offer another "tik" to the tally. As long as it didn't turn out to be a $20 item that you had to buy every time you changed armor enchants... Heck Yeah I'd buy it!

adding that would be easy, wouldnt be much work

also that would also work better in f2p model - not few whales keeping the money flowing, but a bunch of average players spending money

they could just add tab to store somewhere close to costumes and add all enchantment looks + invisible option(though they might need to change how it looks in PvP so opponent can see what kind of enchantment you have, this might be the reason they havent done it yet)

as for the process - they could just add transmute option to the enchant, and make them keep the transmute after upgrade, or add inventory slots

would enjoy changing the looks of my soulforged to smth that doesnt look like i havent changed my underwear for a veeeeeery long time
    Paladin Master Race
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I think a compromise can be made here, allow any weapon/armor enchant of high quality appear as any quality below it's actual quality. This way people can make their Psouls and Pvorps look like Lsouls and Lvorps and their dyes won't be wasted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Exactly. I've invested money to play around with the dyes bottles, packs and transmutes across different sets of armor and costume sets and I'd certainly pay to disable the enchantment visuals if the option is available.

It bothers me when I'd to unequip my armor whenever I'd like to take a screenshot of my newly dyed fashion or when friends like to check out the new look in game.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Considering the "disable visuals" option is in for head gear I am unsure how easily this could be modified to disable the visuals of enchants on armor/weapons. It is not a whole item itself - it is an effect on items. There are also multiple effects in activation for multiple enchants.

Every possible enchant has a visual. Every visual /enchant needs specified in script. This may make it a long script to write to disable visuals of effects on 2 slots.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I am in fact in favor of this too. It's possibly tedious is all.

EDIT: Just thought of something.

The Dragon Soul gems have an effect for each kind. This effect is NOT visible when wearing fashion clothes. Maybe there's something in scripting there to look at for this?
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What I would like to see is a "Drop Down Menu" type of thing, where you would unlock a "Visual" option by having a particular Enchant of particular Rank in your Inventory. Basically, if you want your Dagger to look like a PTerror rather than a PVorpal, you would need to acquire a PTerror before you could unlock that Skin. Unlock it once and it is unlocked forever for that Character. This would keep the Money flowing to their satisfaction and give us a few more options and create a very nice side market in lower level Enchants that have little to no real value now, especially some of the under used, but cooler looking ones.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    What I would like to see is a "Drop Down Menu" type of thing, where you would unlock a "Visual" option by having a particular Enchant of particular Rank in your Inventory. Basically, if you want your Dagger to look like a PTerror rather than a PVorpal, you would need to acquire a PTerror before you could unlock that Skin. Unlock it once and it is unlocked forever for that Character. This would keep the Money flowing to their satisfaction and give us a few more options and create a very nice side market in lower level Enchants that have little to no real value now, especially some of the under used, but cooler looking ones.

Do the same for armor and weapon transmutes, and you got me sold...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Do the same for armor and weapon transmutes, and you got me sold...

Imagine such an option for general cosmetic items too?

In the last two AMA's I got the impression he and/or his peers resist investing in certain features players actually want such as cosmetics because the numbers don't show them to be worthwhile.

The truth is, sorry Ryan, the numbers are Cryptic's fault and they do not express the player interest.

Cosmetics just have to be decently priced. The current ones are either horribly overpriced to begin with or lack critical features mainly in the ways of storage. Bag space is really tight as it is without cluttering it up with cosmetics so likely the biggest thing holding people back from buying cosmetics isn't their willingness to spend but the inability to store it.

And I do mean inability. Even if you buy a bunch of extra bag space it's still tight and it's always a nuisance to deal with inventory space. There's very little that can be done to improve the situation on the players' side due to bag slot limits but you can prevent making it worse by not buying cosmetic options...so they don't.

All in all I feel a lot of the data Ryan and his peers looks over is flawed.
    Seeing low sales in cosmetic options or limited interest in the foundry might not be a sign that more money should be invested into these features as...hey...they aren't exactly raking in the money now. However if you actually were to go out and ask players why, they don't say they are unwilling to buy cosmetics or have no desire to play foundry missions. Quite the opposite.

The numbers only show what players currently do rather than the reasons why they behave this way.
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can only comment on soulforged but what's strange is that the effects do show on fashion gear but not on your body if you remove that gear so I think it must be fairly easy to disable in software land. I'm not sure I agree with the more complicated suggestions above though. A simple "disable enchant visuals" on the armour slot would do the job, just like the "disable visuals" for head and neck slots.

Whether it would encourage players to spend more time/money/AD on their appearance is a different question.

Incidentally, I love that you can fight wearing your fashion gear but get all the benefits of the armour. It means I get to kill dragons whilst looking like a BeeGee from the 70's..
    edited January 2015
    According to the devs it's not simple to allow people to disable enchantment visuals. In fact it might not even be possible (not in the literal but in the practical sense) to implement.

Although why is beyond me.
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    According to the devs it's not simple to allow people to disable enchantment visuals. In fact it might not even be possible (not in the literal but in the practical sense) to implement.

Ah, I didn't know the devs had expressed any view on the subject. I'm a developer and sometimes software is like that. The simplest-sounding thing can be a nightmare to implement because of previous design decisions/constraints and on the converse sometimes big stuff just slots into place. Some of our customers seem to have a special knack of requesting stuff in that first category. We try to make the design as accommodating as possible but ultimately we have to get it done and we cannot allow for everything. In software development, you only figure out how you could have done it better once the project is finished.

If the devs say it is difficult then it will probably not get done.
    edited January 2015
    Indeed. As a hobbyist programmer myself I know that situation all too well. When I programmed for NWN persistent worlds the players used to suggest what to them seemed like simple ideas which were just not possible with the Aurora Toolset functions.

However here's a thought...

They might not be able to make the current weapon enchantments visuals get disabled...
    But in theory...at least in my mind...they could make enchantments with duplicate effects that have a blank visual appearance. They could add a store which allowed players to "buy" these enchantments for their current enchantment and a fee.

In short they might not be able to make the "Perfect Vorpal" visuals disappear but they could make a "Perfect Vorpal (invisible)" with no visuals or a blank visual effect.
  • cheezewezzelcheezewezzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd totally purchase a reasonably priced visual disabling tool as well as some more costume/fashion resources and tools. As I understand it, Neverwinter is a cousin of Champions Online which has a bazillion costume options and resources, so I would think enhancing the costume options in Neverwinter would be doable.
    edited January 2015

I can understand the lack of simple. I've seen coding. It makes the Matrix looks like a sandbox. It is very possible though if it is already occurring in game. You just have to figure out how to make it apply in the manner you want it to.

Now, they letting a Dev have the time to figure it out may be a different matter. That's not the Dev's fault. That's a matter of the boss telling them what to work on as "priority".

As a side though having a drop down menu for ANY visual to apply as long as you have the enchant is way too complex. A simple
    "disable current enchant visual" is better.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
    edited January 2015
    "Ignore graphic display" applies to just the whole item being removed with the default body portion(s) showed underneath.

"Ignore visual effect display" would have to read the item, and then reapply it to body (with any transmute features) without the visual effect.

• lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would pay good money not to have a giant neon light strapped to my back. All that time spent creating visuals for weapons only for it to be overwritten by silly FX.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Yes I saw a guildie yesterday when running CN, he had a perfect bloodtheft and it was far from impressive. It was not making you want to have this enchant too. A walking fountain of rust powder.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
    edited January 2015
    As a side though having a drop down menu for ANY visual to apply as long as you have the enchant is way too complex. A simple
    "disable current enchant visual" is better.

Enabling or Disabling Enchantments, period, is what was stated to be too complicated to implement.
    The drop down is not the too complicated aspect preventing it from being implemented.

As some of the other code savvy players here have said it is hard to fathom why it is hard to disable. Typically it is a lot harder to tell something to display to the screen than not to. But we don't know the inner workings of the code. The devs didn't just say decide it was too complicated on a whim. They actually did go into the code and try to decide if there was a way to implement this feature and their response was that it was not possible.

This is at the very least the top ten requested feature to be added to the game. If it was as easy as we all think it should be they would have done it by now.
  • vaulwynvaulwyn Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Indeed. As a hobbyist programmer myself I know that situation all too well. When I programmed for NWN persistent worlds the players used to suggest what to them seemed like simple ideas which were just not possible with the Aurora Toolset functions.

However here's a thought...

They might not be able to make the current weapon enchantments visuals get disabled...
    But in theory...at least in my mind...they could make enchantments with duplicate effects that have a blank visual appearance. They could add a store which allowed players to "buy" these enchantments for their current enchantment and a fee.

In short they might not be able to make the "Perfect Vorpal" visuals disappear but they could make a "Perfect Vorpal (invisible)" with no visuals or a blank visual effect.

Just found this thread and was going to make this exact suggestion, there is always a way and this way is very simple easy to implement and profitable.

At your next meeting you should make this suggestion or at least let them know that players have specifically asked for this option.
    GF - Sigh