test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shadow of Demise

fernandosbfernandosb Member Posts: 78 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvE Discussion
Shadow of Demise is bugged again and proccing twice. Please take your time to take a look at this because it is causing severe imbalance in pvp.
Post edited by fernandosb on

Comments

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Was reported multiple times more then a month ago.

My report on 12-07-2014.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    More and more people are becoming aware of this, and re-speccing to Exe.

At this point Sabotuer is seriously the LEAST annoying tree.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    clonkyo1 wrote: »
    Sorry, but seems like you are so late on noticing this bug which, IMO, is INTENDED. BUT i agree that SoD must stack ON (and ONLY) PvE

This effect can not stack.
    There is nothing of intended there.
    It s bug and quite gamebreaking
  • Options
    grac3n77grac3n77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    This effect can not stack.
    There is nothing of intended there.
    It s bug and quite gamebreaking

May be you have two enemy TR? I never seen my exe TR proc twice.
  • Options
    ratattacksratattacks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    grac3n77 wrote: »
    May be you have two enemy TR? I never seen my exe TR proc twice.

eRbQ8y3.png
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As far as I can tell it will not under any circumstances stack more then 6 times, however you can pretty reliably get it to stack 3-5 times, if you time your rotation correctly.
  • Options
    jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Shadow of demise is back to being bugged it seems. It's double procing. Thought that was exactly what they fixed a long time ago or perhaps it was the fact it was ignoring armor. Looks like from the combat log that is in game it's doing both though.

http://s7.postimg.org/pc48p6jmj/shadow_of_demise_bug.jpg

shadow_of_demise_bug.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    shadow of demise is supposed to ignore DR and it should say like this since its damage boost is comparable to a t4 HR feat (10% more to be exact)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    shadow of demise is supposed to ignore DR and it should say like this since its damage boost is comparable to a t4 HR feat (10% more to be exact)

Except it deals 100% bonus piercing damage currently.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Except it deals 100% bonus piercing damage currently.

because it's double proccing on dot enchants, which is a bug. a gamebreaking one.
  • Options
    poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's proccing double for my TR which has Vorpal so...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    You can proc twice even with Vorpal. You just need to timing your , in example, LB with the proc'ing SoD damage. My personal record, using a NPF enchant is 5 times, but i do not remember exactly how i did it. So, IMO, is intended.

did you read "this effect can not stack" part?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    You can proc twice even with Vorpal. You just need to timing your , in example, LB with the proc'ing SoD damage. My personal record, using a NPF enchant is 5 times, but i do not remember exactly how i did it. So, IMO, is intended.

I was able to stack it 5 times with GPF using Duelist's Flurry. I think it stacks when a few hits strike in the same time.
  • Options
    zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    DoTs cause it.
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    nothing should ignore dr
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    By using the rotation PotB, stealth, smoke bomb, shadow strike, stealth, then hit I was able to stack SoD 6 times on dummy with PF. However, you have to activate stealth at the same time as one of the blades as damaging an opponent for it to incorrectly add an additional stack.
  • Options
    jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited January 2015

yea your right it is supposed to ignore damage resistance. though the fact remains it not supposed to double/triple proc nor stack. I should have remembered that from once having had it myself though I recently traded it in on my tr in favor of concussive.

http://s15.postimg.org/lgza7zy57/shadow_closeup.jpg

shadow_closeup.jpg
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The mechanic of Shadow of Demise is fine and I think it should stay like it is, because it's actually just a 50% damage bonus that's delayed. Technically speaking, SoD's damage is affected by DR and deflect - if the original damage is deflected or mitigated, that translates through to the SoD damage, i.e. on a toon with 20% tenacity, non-crit, non-deflect, DR mitigated to 0:

Original attack: 10000
    Damage after mitigation: 8000
    Shadow of Demise damage: 4000
    Damage after mitigation if deflected on a non-TR with no elixirs: 4000
    Shadow of Demise damage if original attack is deflected on a non-TR with no elixirs: 2000

...which is a 50% damage bonus, so there's nothing wrong with that apart from possibly too much of a damage bonus, in which case you could modify the 50% part. That number would be lower on classes with more DR, and if it is deflected. Let's say on a GF with 40% DR, 20% tenacity, and the TR has 24% arp (let's ignore Exposed Weakness for now):

Original damage: 10000
    Damage after mitigation: 10000 * (1 - 0.4 + 0.24) * (1 - 0.2) = 6720
    Shadow of Demise damage: 3360
    Damage after mitigation if deflected with no elixirs: 3360
    Shadow of Demise damage if deflected with no elixirs: 1680

The thing here is that if you make Shadow of Demise affected by DR, deflect and tenacity, you're making it be affected by those stats twice. The devs stated that piercing damage was created to avoid that issue. The problem with mod 4 HR's piercing damage was that the formula for PB's damage was taking the original damage instead of the damage after mitigation, which was resolved in the mod 5 patch. The only problematic skill synergy with Shadow of Demise (besides the multiprocs) is Shocking Execution, which doesn't respect DR, deflect or tenacity, and hence the SoD damage isn't affected by that either, but that's a problem with SE, not with SoD.

Shadow of Demise by itself, when it is WAI, is perfectly fine. It's when you put it together with the DOT bug (which occurs on several different mechanics, i.e. HR's Careful Attack etc.) and it procs multiple times, that it becomes an issue. The real issue here is the multiprocs, not the mechanic itself.

I honestly don't think the issue will get resolved any time soon tbh, because it's a complex issue with server timers and asynchronous event handling and clashes. It's also a bug shared by HR's Careful Attack, amongst other things. I hope I'm wrong though.

Also the main problematic piercing damage in the game is Shadowy Opportunity, because it's not a % damage boost, it's a flat amount of damage being added, which doesn't respect the damage of the attack that proc'd it. For example, if you get hit with a 200 damage deflected Cloud of Steel, Shadowy Opportunity will still do 2k damage. Same goes for hitting with a 20k Gloaming Cut; you only get a 2k damage bonus. Shadowy Opportunity's damage should be changed to a similar mechanic to HR's Piercing Blade/TR's Shadow of Demise, i.e. you do an additional 20% damage of your attacks during stealth as piercing damage.

One thing, though. It still blows my mind as to why they didn't just say "your attacks deal an extra x% of damage" instead of creating piercing damage...
  • Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    SoD is atleast not effected by Deflect and Guard atm.

You can deflect LB , take 8k dmg and still take 8k dmg from SoD, thats with only 1 stack of SoD.
    Also Guardian Fighters can block the whole dmg befor SoD proccs and take maybe 3k dmg, SoD itself will still procc for 50% of the unblocked dmg.

So even when the GF blocks everything ( flurry, bb...)during those 6sec while SoD builds up, he will still take like 22k dmg from SoD if he DOESNT block the procc.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    xmousepadx wrote: »

You can deflect LB , take 8k dmg and still take 8k dmg from SoD, thats with only 1 stack of SoD.
    Also Guardian Fighters can block the whole dmg befor SoD proccs and take maybe 3k dmg, SoD itself will still procc for 50% of the unblocked dmg.

So even when the GF blocks everything ( flurry, bb...)during those 6sec while SoD builds up, he will still take like 22k dmg from SoD if he DOESNT block the procc.

GF can block piercing damage.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ralexinor wrote: »
    The mechanic of Shadow of Demise is fine and I think it should stay like it is, because it's actually just a 50% damage bonus that's delayed. Technically speaking, SoD's damage is affected by DR and deflect - if the original damage is deflected or mitigated, that translates through to the SoD damage, i.e. on a toon with 20% tenacity, non-crit, non-deflect, DR mitigated to 0:

The problem with this type of mechanic is with classes like GWF whose entire defensive tools were built so that AFTER taking damage they gain boosted DR.

What happens right now is a TR lashing blade crits you (100% crit chance) for 30k, then the GWF pops unstoppable with about 10k HP left. Well NOW he has increased DR but it makes no difference since as soon as SoD procs he dies.

Also you have other issues like "immunity" feats that piercing damage completely mitigates. When listening to the logic of "it is already affected by DR" it DOES make sense, but in all practicality when you REALLY break it all down, it doesnt - not in this game.

If the DEVs were superb at balance and coding, you COULD follow that train of thought, but then you wouldnt have 30k+ lashing crits, You wouldnt have 100% crit in stealth and you wouldnt have GPF type enchants proccing this 2x. Also you wouldnt make THIS feat basically completely nullify a class mechanic.

It would be NEARLY the same as saying "Whenever a GWF Sprints they can see a TR in stealth" - that doesnt QUITE fit but you know what I mean.

There also are classes that can get defensive buffs like running INTO a DC astral shield that wont help mitigate this, or barkshield, or the 4pc purified, or that thayan bastion(sp?) boon etc. ALL of those types of things become worthless now with SoD.

Also, things like SE and other forms of piercing damage make you able to ignore armor pen, with 100% crit in stealth you can ignore crit chance as well.....

Honestly the SIMPLE solution to balance ALL the classes at this current moment would be to simply take ALL the forms of damage that bypass DR, and just make that normal damage.

This would only really affect TRs/HRs.

TRs would have their piercing damage reduced which would help higher DR classes a little more. This (in turn) makes it harder for a TR to kill an HR if they HR kept their piercing damage, but since that would be gone TOO, it would actually balance everything out fairly well.

There are MANY other things wrong with PVP - even double SoD proc, but I think changing all piercing damage to just regular damage would actually do a VERY good job towards balance.
  • Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    GF can block piercing damage.

Yes they can block piercing dmg but SoD ignores the fact that you blocked all the dmg while it was building up, so in the end SoD should only procc for 50% of the BLOCKED dmg and it proccs for 50% of the dmg that you would have done if the GF wouldnt have blocked during those 6sec.

Example:

SoD should work like this:
    Gf blocks 15k dmg -> he takes 3k dmg (guard is 80% i guess)-> SoD proccs for 1500dmg

How SoD is working atm:
    Gf blocks 15k dmg -> he takes 3kdmg -> SoD proccs for 7500dmg(50% from 15k)
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fernandosb wrote: »
    Shadow of Demise is bugged again and proccing twice. Please take your time to take a look at this because it is causing severe imbalance in pvp.

Aye, that be true. Even the Grim Reaper is an Executioner nowadays.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    The problem with this type of mechanic is with classes like GWF whose entire defensive tools were built so that AFTER taking damage they gain boosted DR.

What happens right now is a TR lashing blade crits you (100% crit chance) for 30k, then the GWF pops unstoppable with about 10k HP left. Well NOW he has increased DR but it makes no difference since as soon as SoD procs he dies.

Also you have other issues like "immunity" feats that piercing damage completely mitigates. When listening to the logic of "it is already affected by DR" it DOES make sense, but in all practicality when you REALLY break it all down, it doesnt - not in this game.

If the DEVs were superb at balance and coding, you COULD follow that train of thought, but then you wouldnt have 30k+ lashing crits, You wouldnt have 100% crit in stealth and you wouldnt have GPF type enchants proccing this 2x. Also you wouldnt make THIS feat basically completely nullify a class mechanic.

It would be NEARLY the same as saying "Whenever a GWF Sprints they can see a TR in stealth" - that doesnt QUITE fit but you know what I mean.

There also are classes that can get defensive buffs like running INTO a DC astral shield that wont help mitigate this, or barkshield, or the 4pc purified, or that thayan bastion(sp?) boon etc. ALL of those types of things become worthless now with SoD.

Also, things like SE and other forms of piercing damage make you able to ignore armor pen, with 100% crit in stealth you can ignore crit chance as well.....

Honestly the SIMPLE solution to balance ALL the classes at this current moment would be to simply take ALL the forms of damage that bypass DR, and just make that normal damage.

This would only really affect TRs/HRs.

TRs would have their piercing damage reduced which would help higher DR classes a little more. This (in turn) makes it harder for a TR to kill an HR if they HR kept their piercing damage, but since that would be gone TOO, it would actually balance everything out fairly well.

There are MANY other things wrong with PVP - even double SoD proc, but I think changing all piercing damage to just regular damage would actually do a VERY good job towards balance.

That's a problem with Lashing Blade not with Shadow of Demise.

Look, you can either have SOD be piercing damage, and be calculated off the damage after mitigation, or you can have SOD as normal damage, and be calculated off the damage before mitigation. Which would you prefer? The latter is the potentially more damage as it means you're not taking dodged attacks into account, i.e. if you dodged a 30k LB, you still get 15k SOD damage (before mitigation).

You can't make SOD affected by DR/deflect/tenacity as it is right now without changing the base calculations, because otherwise you make it affected x2 by DR/deflect/tenacity. While the solution where SOD is normal damage and calculated off pre-mitigation damage might be better for GWFs, for nearly every other class they're screwed if they don't dodge SOD, and it can be quite difficult in the heat of the battle, especially when you have so many other things to watch for.

Let me put it this way for you. With a 30k LB, Shadow of Demise will do 50% more damage for the TR. My point is, it's the same as taking 30k + 15k damage immediately, hence 45k in one hit, or taking 30k damage immediately, then 15k after 6 seconds. They're both the same thing realistically.

The problem is not with the mechanic, it's with the base damage of skills such as LB and SE, and if you really want to go this far, you can say that the 50% damage increase is too much. The solution to that would be to halve the damage increase for SOD in PvP, not change the mechanic.

Also again, the issue with LB + SOD is the original damage coming from LB, not SOD itself.

(this is all assuming SOD isn't multiprocing - which is an issue atm)
    xmousepadx wrote: »

Well that deflect issue is a bug then, same with the GF guard one, probably similar to HR piercing blade in mod 4. I haven't done any real extensive testing with SOD atm, just a few basic tests. I'll probably go do that tonight.
  • Options
    xxxgriessonxxxxxxgriessonxxx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    well sod is also bugged in the negative sense, it can be dodged with fox cunning or an actual dodge and blocked. never seen it multiproccing with vorp.