test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gateway Professions slow

onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
edited January 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I've noticed Gateway professions are extremely slow lately. There's HUGE lag every before and after every single button I clock. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Post edited by onecoolscatcat on

Comments

• Options
    hundetrenerenhundetreneren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited January 2015
    Oh yes, big time... Since yesterdays maintenance its next to impossible to get something done there... I got 22 toons im working on, and 2 of them are lvling jewelcrafting. It takes forever to click one single thing and it lags out.

In the beginning I used firefox. I was happy with that, if was fast, BUT; often a task would stuck on loading, and I would have to click F5 to restart the page. After that it would take 11 seconds (I counted) when I changed character before the window with all myt toons showed up.
    For some reason, Firefox started to be increadable slow a few weeks ago completely out of the blue.
    So I started to use explorer (blah...) that I really dont like. Explorer was really fast, could click with high speed and all was well EXEPT *sigh* that it showed completely wrong timers on all my tasks, so I had no idea when things would be done. Ofc I had a general idea in my head out of experience, but often its good to know the minutes. It showed a task that would be finished within 4 hours would say on explorer that it was ready on 13 hours, all was a utter mess.
    SO; i had the choise of explorer= good speed and messed up timers, OR; firefox, slow as hell (all of a sudden) but correct timers.
    Then my boyfriend said the obvious when I whined about it one afternoon; "soo...why dont you try something else..like..opera?"........... Why didnt i think of that, i thought to myself, and installed Opera.
    Opera was the thing. The speed was increadable, the daily morningrutine with starting leadership on 22 toons was a blast, even didnt have time to finish my morning coffe! And; it showed the correct timers. Beautiful!

So...why am i writing this, you ask? Reason is, maybe someone is using a browser that is slow and not working optimal for gateway. Maybe this will give them an idea of changing. I have 3 different browsers installed on my pc atm. I have started to use Opera as my standard browser now cause i really like it, it got some good security-options. But for netflix for example I use firefox.
    Its no problem to have several browsers installed, they got different qualities, and hey, its easy to uninstall.
    The option to test what browser is best on your pc for gateway is worth checking out if you are a profession-maniac like myself :)
    Im also sure its a lot of other browsers out there that people use and maybe are awesome for gateway. Feel free to spread that here :)

Altho, since last maintenance it really doesnt matter what browser I use. I have tried them all, and its all hell.
    I really beg the Dev`s to fix this, cause it really is hell... Help, guys...!
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Same issues here - 10 toons and noticed an incredible amount of lag on Chrome (worked well yesterday) since yesterday's maintenance.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I haven't tried Opera, but I do use Firefox, IE, and Chrome. All lag terribly.
  • Options
    ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    8 toons here and whilst I've noticed it being a little slow it hasn't caused me any actual problems.

Edit: (Using chrome)
  • Options
    neilburtonneilburton Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not noticing any major issues here, I use Chrome and it seems to work reasonably well, considering... it's called Neverwinter Gateway BETA for a reason, folks ;-)
    IT Guru & avid gamer since 1981
  • Options
    commanderdata001commanderdata001 Member Posts: 307 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    So its not just for me then?
    Tried Chrome, Opera but its very slow compared to previous usage!
  • Options
    soozgeesoozgee Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2015
    Is there anything in this game left working fine?
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm also having really bad issues with tasks on the gateway, things are taking forever to load, and it takes multiple attempts to successfully complete a task or start a new task.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wonder if it's a way to "punish bots" just like the in game delay... I for one am glad all of the bots decided to leave after that one.
  • Options
    blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i was coming on forums to see if anyone was experiecing this same thing, really slow for me. Pissing me off - at least winterfestival is over otherwise i'd never be able to log in game haha.

I hope they fix this asap, its inconvient for me to log in and out and annoys people i'm sure to. Not to mention i need to relog back in and nost just chracter hop often.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    lag means nothing to bots. Bots don't tire and have limitless time. They'll simply take lag into account and go on as per normal. Lag only impacts people. I don't believe this is intentional. It's simply TARFU.
  • Options
    hundetrenerenhundetreneren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited January 2015
    I haven't tried Opera, but I do use Firefox, IE, and Chrome. All lag terribly.

Trust me, opera lags too... dont think any browser will save the day, its all in the hands of...Devs -.-
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Argh. Same here. The start of this coinciding with the extended downtime leads me to believe there were stealth changes made that didn't exactly WAI. This might be a symptom of that, or perhaps as the illustrious fruitiefrish pointed out this is WAI and a new step in their campaign to do nothing to hamper botting activity but annoy the hell out of valid users as they did with the professions in game months ago.
  • Options
    siestrionsiestrion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Funny thing is, I did not experience this lag yesterday, during the day. Now it's terrible. It's taking me at least 3 times as long to complete professions. I've tried a couple different computers and internet connections. Same issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Tried yelling at it to hurry the frak up, but no dice. Think it may have even slowed a bit more.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is so stupid. Stuck on a single character for over 5 minutes now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I posted a bug report since this is a widespread issue.
  • Options
    texy1texy1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Severe lag, time-out errors and disconnects here, too.
    It's been laggy since around 09.00 GMT for me, but within the last hour the time-outs and disconnects began.
  • Options
    rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Bugs, bugs, bugs..... it's been getting worse lately. At least I'm not the only one that can click, have a cup of coffee and come back to get the results on the gateway :mad:
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm happy I could load it (after 2 tries). And is it just me, or is game kinda more laggy too? 3 Tiamat runs I had today were more rubber-bandy than ever.*

*ok, not that bad. it was worst before they fixed DC lag.
  • Options
    thirstiusthirstius Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    siestrion wrote: »
    Funny thing is, I did not experience this lag yesterday, during the day. Now it's terrible. It's taking me at least 3 times as long to complete professions. I've tried a couple different computers and internet connections. Same issue.

Same here. Worked fine yesterday (but I think I only used the Gateway right after the maintenance window, not later).

Now, there appear to be several purposefully placed "lag timers" in place:

1) After loading a character (mine load to the Professions screen), all of the slots for completed tasks now start off with the "Finish Now" status then, proceeding from lower right to upper left, each slot is changed to the "Collect Result" status, one at a time, with a 3 to 6 second (random?) timer in between each one.

2) For each completed task, clicking on the "Collect Result" button instantly brings up the "Congratulations" pop-up for that task, but after clicking on the "Collect Result" button on the pop-up, a 4 to 7 second timer counts down before the task is cleared from the slot and the "Collected .... " message appears at the top of the window.

3) When starting new tasks, setting up the task is very quick as usual until you click the "Start Task" button, at which point another 3 to 5 second timer counts down before the task appears in the slot.

4) The "Refine" button seems to also have a new timer behind it, causing a 3 to 5 second delay before the AD numbers are changed (although this one might have been there before or be normal ... just seems longer now).

The first three were very consistent across the first 3 (out of 5) of my characters (I stopped to come here and see if it is happening to others). The timers appear to have a random "range" so as not to appear predictable.

The rest of the interface seems to be working as it did before, with relatively quick transitions between menu items.

If this is to be the new norm, it is going to seriously detract from the enjoyability of this game.

UPDATE: The Gateway just logged me off. When I logged back in and started on my next character, the "Collect Result" time (in #2 above) is not taking 10 to 15 seconds!!! The "Start Task" timers (in #3) are up to 9 to 11 seconds!!! Really?

UPDATE 2: Timers seem to be even higher now, with character loading times taking so long they are timing out ... perhaps there is something more "broken" affecting the Gateway now? (note: the timings I gave above were done with a stopwatch after I noticed it happening -- everything was consistent within a range -- other menu items seemed unaffected, thus the overall Gateway speed seemed "normal", it was just the repetitive profession tasks that appeared to have been affected by timers).

UPDATE 3: It occurs to me that the functions with perceived "timers" might all be related to back-end database updates and that there might be either a load or configuration issue on that end. Especially with the timeouts that are now occurring.
  • Options
    nps2nps2 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't think it is anything intentional as sometimes, albeit very rarely, it works at normal speed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I believe they may have suffered a hardware failure on one of their database clusters and the system is now limping along with the remaining members trying to cover for the failed piece of the array. I was logged out as well and on attempt to log in I was greeted with Gateway unavailable due to heavy load message. I can now no longer log into gateway as it doesn't make it past login.

I'm betting one of their techs saw the precursor errors from the database which caused the extended maintenance as they attempted an on the fly fix. What we are possibly seeing now is the fix failing. Look for an emergency maintenance in the very near future.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's time to bring in the relief hamster. Clearly the one running the gateway is having a stroke.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've noticed Gateway professions are extremely slow lately. There's HUGE lag every before and after every single button I clock. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Same here...........
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Problem is, I can login very fine. When in the character I can't click buttons. It just timeouts.
    JMYwySk.jpg