test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear CW casting Ice Storm.

query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
I don't know how to thank you. Things looked pretty desperate there until you came along. My comrades and I were heavilly engaged by several very dangerous melle classes no where near the clerics. Many of us in fact were CCed and could not escape! The rest of us were so heavilly aggroed we could not proceed to the target and it seemed we would soon perish. That is when you so valliantly saved us. By throwing us clear of our impending doom we had the opportunity to re-group and assault our nemisi you gave us the opportunity to re-group. And I am pretty sure that the LifeSteal they were counting on to recover from battle allowed us to kill that TR and force the HR to soulforge and ravenskull. Your selfless courage will never be forgoten.

Yours with eternal grattitude, Legion Devil # 486
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I love it. It reminds me of the greatest comedy thread I've ever read on an mmo forum from another game. Someone in that game wrote up a raid from the enemies point of view as they bickered and rage quit when the players slaughtered them.
  • Options
    pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Lol, good stuff.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You're welcome, OP.
    And I'll do again.
    And again.
    On purpose.
    Just for you.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah i love those pushing id.. emm, well expd players? Gimme a break, when they push all those devils from my IT and ST, half of problem when im on tank, or tr or gf, i will just either tank them back, or let them kill those "well expd players" but on cw its a problem, when i mostly hold aggro from all 5 of them, and they jump back on me...

• Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    LOL!

And thanks for using your really weak Repel/Ice Storm/Sun Burst when my comrades were around only 5% HP and you saved us from getting killed by the melee classes by pushing us just a couple of feets away, I know you are a good person because you didn't push us into the pit but the opposite direction.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dont forget the sunburst! :D
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    When I see pushing, I always go to the next cleric. If they want to be idiots, let them solo. The raid will probably fail anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You're welcome, OP.
    And I'll do again.
    And again.
    On purpose.
    Just for you.

Your service to our great Goddess Tiamat shall not be forgotten valiant friend!
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's hilarious but today in tiamat I seen a guardian fighter using enforced threat and each time he used that some DC or CW used sunburst/ice strom pushing devils out just before his animation ended. Seen some really toxic stuff comming from that guy during 3rd cleric's phase :D
  • Options
    beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    When I see pushing, I always go to the next cleric. If they want to be idiots, let them solo. The raid will probably fail anyway.

I warn only once, then just sit at camp for the whole cleric defend, only helping while defeating heads.
    At least, I don`t have to change my skills every 2 minutes.
  • Options
    xxxgriessonxxxxxxgriessonxxx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Knocking is cool if a group of adds is storming the cleric but doing it when they are aggroed in the front to knock 1 out of 10 adds in the abyss is as wrong as in any dung run. Sing+repel would make the cleric part piece of cake if ppl wouldn't knock stuff all over the place.
    You can sing+repel a whole group of adds both in mid and flanks, and when the heads rise there will be no adds around and you'll finally be able to mount your steed!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Dear Melee Classes,
    While you were Fighting and holding aggro on 1 maybe 2 Enemies, I am sitting here on the spawn point trying to grab as much agro as possible, yes my ice storm may throw that one that you are focused on but it also allows me to aggro them all while you vainly attempt to attack that single bad guy at the cleric. If you really wanted to help you would take 10 steps away from the cleric while she is chanting and do something useful like killing something or maybe taking the time out to say something instead of actually doing something.
    Sincerely,
    The CW that is performing actions that actually help the situation.

Ok. I'll drop character for a second. Umm if you were holding aggro they would not all jump on me as soon as IceStorm was done. It does not do that much damage. It won't hold aggro. That guy they all jump to after you cast? He had aggro...

Edit: It's frustrating because Tiamat is one of the few places besides solo content that IS makes sense and is actually effective. If the mobs get to the cleric it is a good idea. Fighting heads it tends to knock the stragglers right off the platform. Spamming it every time you have a full bar is what makes it lousy. If the mobs are all bunched up on the border hell and gone from the clerics Sing, or OF, or go to the campfire and take a break. Any of these actions will contribute more to the success of the party.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sincerely,
    Some newb CW that is performing actions that hinders the raid, slows down the cleric phase, gets ppl killed, yet thinks he's helping.

FTFY

If you have icestorm equipped in a daily slot, you are wrong.

"but, i.." NO. you are wrong. Stop using it.

"but sometimes.." NO. you are still wrong. Stop using it.

There is literally only 2 times you can use that ability and not be wrong in tiamat:
    1) when you initially charge the summoner's platform. You don't need it there or anything, but CWs like to use it anyway, it saves exactly 0 seconds while killing the summoners. but it doesn't hinder anything.

2) When fighting black/white head, or when some poor scrub has trained demons to the other heads. On black head in a bad instance where no one grabbed black gem and everyone has the debuff on them, then using Icestorm to throw demons actually saves a few lives.

The same is true for DC's using sunburst in an encounter slot as well.

Really that last one is the only situation, black head when nobody grabbed black gem, where using Ice Storm is the correct thing to do. Should you have ice storm equipped for this one case? While fighting heads? You have oppressive force and ice knife equipped (unless you are wrong), when did you get a 3rd daily slot? Oh you only have 2 daily slots? so why would you want to take the time to switch your daily for this one situation where you might not be terribly wrong in using ice storm? There will always be another bad around to sunburst or icestorm in this one situation where you aren't hindering the raid, so why are you using it?

Notice that neither of those are during the cleric phase? Both times you aren't hurting your raid by using ice storm is when you are on a small ledge surrounded by lava that instantly kills the adds you are using it against.

The most efficient way possible to do cleric phase is as follows:

A GF grabs aggro on all the demons on their spawn points. This can be done by 1 gf on Linu and any other 2 people any class grabbing aggro on the side clerics, or simply 3 GFs i'm sure your instance will have at least 3 of them.

Those 1-3 GFs acquire aggro on all the demons and take them for a walk, avoiding red splash areas and blocking stun. the other 22 players in the instance afk at the campfire.

after about 60 seconds all 3 clerics have miraculously healed to full health. The GF with aggro walks the demons over towards black head and steps on the ledge, and all the demons commit suicide.

kill heads.

next cleric phase, repeat above.

Now why don't we do it this way? it's like trying to bathe a cat or push water uphill. Stupid is a force of nature it can't be reasoned with. So we just kill the demons over and over and wait for them to respawn to do it again. Doing it this way runs the risk of being stunned while demons are spawning and not instantly grabbing aggro, meaning that a demon charges a cleric and slows down the clerics phase. Yet, as long as nobody is throwing demons, ever, in the cleric phase, we can grab aggro on everything as it spawns and kill them on their spawn point in seconds. It's not quite as efficient as the kite method above, but as long as there are no newbs throwing demons, killing all demons on their spawn point is the 2nd most efficient way to do cleric phase.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A PUG's nature. You can't force a turkey to eat a chicken. You can trick a cow into eating beef though O_o
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Your service to our great Goddess Tiamat shall not be forgotten valiant friend!

LOL! Shush, you! That is not public knowledge. I am on clandestine covert mission!
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Lol at this thread and to all the poor GWFs that can't get a top spot in the ranking.

Sorry but no. In one of those high GS instances throwing adds might not be relevant, but it's never slowing down the cleric phase. Never. And if you ever came across a true PUG instance that fights on top of the clerics, you might want to be very careful what you propose around here.
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Awesome :)
    As a CW when someone used icestorm, sunburst or Repel, Id just get the mobs back, but now I am running my DC who uses chains, and some other target location and hard to target spells, and OMG i just want to scream at some people!!!

usually I let them stand on clerics and die over and over, and they learn
    loboguild wrote: »
    Lol at this thread and to all the poor GWFs that can't get a top spot in the ranking.

Sorry but no. In one of those high GS instances throwing adds might not be relevant, but it's never slowing down the cleric phase. Never. And if you ever came across a true PUG instance that fights on top of the clerics, you might want to be very careful what you propose around here.

If only ranking meant something, My CW is usually 1-3rd in, mostly got nothing. In the runs that I did score lower I got Dragon Eggs and Lesser Resonance and 3 Dragon Cult packs.

My DC comes in 23rd and gets a Dragon Cult Pack, comes in 15th and gets Dragon Egg and Dragon cult pack. And has gotten many Lesser Resonance Stones lol.
    Dear Melee Classes,
    While you were Fighting and holding aggro on 1 maybe 2 Enemies, I am sitting here on the spawn point trying to grab as much agro as possible, yes my ice storm may throw that one that you are focused on but it also allows me to aggro them all while you vainly attempt to attack that single bad guy at the cleric. If you really wanted to help you would take 10 steps away from the cleric while she is chanting and do something useful like killing something or maybe taking the time out to say something instead of actually doing something.
    Sincerely,
    The CW that is performing actions that actually help the situation.

In the "secret timer" high GS fast runs we do, we all cast Oppressive Force, Steal Time and Icy Terrain at the spawn point, DC uses chains, dvine glow, shield, etc--everyone groups there and kills super fast--because things like stun and chill allow people to get max dps or combat advantage, and lifesteal...The cleric phase is so amazingly fast, we could do 2 Tiamat an hour if they didn't change things. I have 115 Linu favors on my CW, 10 on my DC and I think this method works best.
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't get why there are so many complaints about the cleric phase, I have done over 50 Tiamats and I have never had a failure because of bad cleric phases, anyone here ever had a Tiamat fail because of the cleric phase ?

If there is something annoying from Tiamat, its the people that need to shout and whine all the time during the cleric phase, its serves no purpose and nobody cares if you are being deprived of getting your God given right to be number one in the rankings. Go stand at the campfire and help out with the dragon heads, nobody gives a !#% if you don't get the chance to fight enemy mobs.
  • Options
    yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    I don't know how to thank you. Things looked pretty desperate there until you came along. My comrades and I were heavilly engaged by several very dangerous melle classes no where near the clerics. Many of us in fact were CCed and could not escape! The rest of us were so heavilly aggroed we could not proceed to the target and it seemed we would soon perish. That is when you so valliantly saved us. By throwing us clear of our impending doom we had the opportunity to re-group and assault our nemisi you gave us the opportunity to re-group. And I am pretty sure that the LifeSteal they were counting on to recover from battle allowed us to kill that TR and force the HR to soulforge and ravenskull. Your selfless courage will never be forgoten.

Yours with eternal grattitude, Legion Devil # 486

Hey! I think I know that guy! He was with me using ice storm in spell plague. My hero to! Thank you oh masked cw savior!
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't get why there are so many complaints about the cleric phase, I have done over 50 Tiamats and I have never had a failure because of bad cleric phases, anyone here ever had a Tiamat fail because of the cleric phase ?

If there is something annoying from Tiamat, its the people that need to shout and whine all the time during the cleric phase, its serves no purpose and nobody cares if you are being deprived of getting your God given right to be number one in the rankings. Go stand at the campfire and help out with the dragon heads, nobody gives a !#% if you don't get the chance to fight enemy mobs.
    So you are saying you've only ever had a tiamat failure from a bugged instance? Not only that, but you believe that no one else has ever failed for any reason other than a bugged instance?

All tiamat failures not caused by a bugged instance is caused by failure during the cleric phase. Every. Single. One. Technically even bugged instances are caused by a failure during cleric phase (leaving cleric phase before it finishes and attacking "Tiamat" rather than waiting for the heads to spawn and attacking "_color_ Tiamat Head")

Tiamat was only a DPS race when we could switch instances to another known good instance and get 2 linu favors per hour + a 3rd reward. We can still switch by relogging, but have no control over what we get and typically get bugged/afk instances by switching. Now that there is no incentive to 1 round Tiamat so you can get 3 instances, the only incentive is to win. Every single instance can win, regardless of class/gs composition. Every. Single. One.

You can get 5 shots at tiamat by doing the cleric phase correctly. With 5 phases DPS is irrelevant. Most instances only get 3 because they have newbs ruining the cleric phase.
  • Options
    archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited December 2014
    All Hail, allies of Tiamat and the legion of devils.

Basically now, whenever someone uses a icestorm/repel/sunburst during the cleric phase, i will just move my dps away from the cleric to another. hope that guy get the mobs aggro and sit in the campfire
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You can get 5 shots at tiamat by doing the cleric phase correctly. With 5 phases DPS is irrelevant. Most instances only get 3 because they have newbs ruining the cleric phase.

I still don't get how using pushbacks and stuff could lengthen the cleric phase. Please enlighten me.
  • Options
    archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited December 2014
    I still don't get how using pushbacks and stuff could lengthen the cleric phase. Please enlighten me.

If you cant kill the mobs it end up with more and more.
    1 mob can prolly 2~3 hit a low armor DPS class (CW).
    You can end the phase, but end up with 10+ mobs running around. Any single target who are attacked while running from dragon to dragon or from campfire will end up back at campfire.

Not sure why ppl like to rush to the head as soon as the cleric bar are filled. (Heard it bug the fight if you rush into the red zone too early)
    I will continue trying to kill the mobs till i heard linu screaming
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014

Because if the cleric phase goes fast enough, and you clear heads in 2 rounds, it's possible to get into another instance for a 2nd linu favor--tho it was easier before the change.. Or if your team somehow messes up the heads, but you have fast cleric rounds, you will have time to make up for it.

Also, people less likely to quit leaving you with extra work to do.
    Many people stand on clerics to do their pushes, the clerics thus take longer. many of them die, they quit.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    More or less. The only thing that matters in Cleric phase is keeping the clerics un-molested so they can heal. Either by CCing them or straight up killing them away from the clerics. IS scatters the mobs in 5 different directions which means that the defenders of the clerics have to go 5 different directions and engage the mobs individually rather than piling them together and focussing all DPS/ CC on all the mobs. Just had this proceedure go near perfectly last run. On my Trapper so the second they spawn dropping 3 layers of root on them and the rest of the group dropping their encounters on the pile. Our CW was OFing the pile like clockwork. I think 2 mobs made it more than 3' from the spawn point. This is not Tiamat but in most instances in most party engagements scattering mobs is a bad idea. If you are not pushing them off a cliff and killing them you are diluting the party's effectiveness. 5 people attacking 5 mobs in one place stacks a lot more power than 5 players engaging 5 different mobs at different locations.
  • Options
    daedreemdaedreem Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dear Control Wizard... I'm with my cohort, Legion Devil # 486, in my appreciation of you.

As I fought those foes in our losing battle, I saw a Hunter Ranger a long distance away, clear of all the fighting... She released rain of arrows right on top of my head, along with my closely packed allies!!! But just before the arrows hit, not only did your spell pull me clear, I landed right on TOP of that Hunter Ranger... Her screams still feed my soul.
    Legion Devil # 488
    Mom of 2 great kids, Slayer of Dragons!
    - I really enjoy Neverwinter on PC, and my Guild "Harper's Eloquence"!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

The sole purpose of the cleric phase is to prevent anything from attacking the 3 clerics while they regenerate to full hp. As long as the demons do not hit the clerics the clerics regenerate to full hp in about 60-70s.

The only progress meter to successful completion is the Clerics HP, of which all 3 must achieve and maintain 100% hp for approx 5 seconds before the script recognizes this and the phase changes to the head phase. There is no minimum amount of damage that needs to be done to the devils, no minimum amount of devils that need be killed. In fact this runs the smoothest if No devils are killed the entire time. The devils only respawn if killed, by killing them you must repeat the below actions each and every time any demon spawns.

Remember the only objective is to prevent the devils from attacking the clerics.

There are 4 spawns of 5, each spawn has 3 Legion Devils with a teleport backstab attack and 2 Erinyes with a charge attack. These attacks are the primary method in which the devils knockdown the clerics and prevent them from regenerating health.

Each side cleric has 1 spawn each, Linu has 2 spawns between her and the red dragon head on either side.

The devils upon spawning have initial aggro on the Clerics because it's scripted as such and the clerics are healing, generating further aggro. There are only 2 ways to prevent them from attacking the clerics:

1) Generate and maintain more aggro than the clerics have so that they target you instead of the clerics, and then NOT DYING as that resets your aggro and they go after the next highest threat.
    2) Overcome them with enough CC effects (such as smoke bomb, Oppressive force, etc, ie dazes, stuns, etc) as to physically prevent them from attacking the clerics, long enough until either a:someone has more aggro than the cleric and they charge that person instead of cleric or b: the devils die.

So you can either kite the demons and not worry about respawns, or you can instantly kill the demons the moment they spawn and wait around for them to respawn to repeat. Kiting is far more efficient (60-70s cleric phase), but with no raid queueing ability and scrub zone randoms in your instance, It's far easier to simply kill them all and run the risk of a few respawning during a roar and getting a hit in on the cleric (90-120s cleric phase)

#1 is easily achievable for a GF. #2 is easily achievable by a TR, HR, CW, GWF, DC, SW, etc or any combination of those classes.

Throwing the mobs prevents everyone else but the thrower from doing either #1 or #2. And because the only people who ever use ice storm/sunburst etc are clueless 10k GS scrubs, either a: Their knockback didn't overcome the clerics aggro (#1) so the mobs, now out of range, use their teleport/charge ability directly to the cleric, or b: They did grab aggro, and are likewise charged/backstabbed and instagibbed by the devils. But since the newb threw the mobs nobody else has aggro, so after the newb dies, the devils attack the cleric afterwards.

Other than the entire zone simply AFKing at the campfire and letting the clerics die (instance gives up), the only way to prolong the cleric phase past 2 minutes (to the 3-4min average that bad instances have, thus resulting in only 3 Tiamat Head phases) is for scrubs to use knockbacks. Every time you do inevitably half the demons get hits in on the clerics and you greatly prolong the cleric phase, ie you are directly responsible for your instance failing, if it does indeed fail for "lack of DPS."

Every other method of dealing with the devils is more efficient than having idgits slotting ice storm/repel/sunburst. Even having 20 ppl each take a demon each and solo it with single target attacks and no CC is more efficient than using knockbacks.

ps: I feel it's important to note one crucial bit of understanding that those who are either ignorant of game mechanics or defend knockbacks "in certain situations" fail to grasp.
    The demons do not have a damage aura. They do not deal damage by proximity. This is crucial for you to understand. Them just standing there next to a cleric means nothing.

If one (or more) demons is missed (due to being stunned from tiamat's roar, etc) and they do move in to range and attack the cleric, that still does not permit you to use knockbacks. On the contrary, this is the worst time to use knockbacks! They've already used their attack, and at the time the cleric was #1 on their threat list, hence they attacked the cleric. There will be several seconds where the demons are doing nothing but waiting on cooldowns before they attack again. Here, all bunched up around the cleric, this is when players can make up for missing the demons initially and can instantly slaughter them or at least generate aggro so that they switch off of the cleric. Throwing them now is the absolute worst thing you can possibly do! stop doing it.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    On my DC I slot sunburst for summoner and cleric phase. With a decent team, I wont use it in the cleric phase. With your average PuG groups, you need it to clear clerics and survive.

On CW I slot OF, if the clerics are constantly swarmed, I switch to icestorm.

No push backs is better, with a good group. With bad groups, you need them imo.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.