Install Arc
Options

Soul Binder

2»

Comments

• Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    OK - having run my Fury Soulbinder through eLoL for the first couple of times I have to say that the paragon needs some work. She's just over 13k GS so pretty much entry level for that dungeon but I did have a nice party from Legit who helped me with the mechanics. She was far from useless but not as effective as an equivalent Hellbringer build would have been. The core issues for me are the spark mechanic and the lacklustre replacement class feature for NPNM.

Sparks take time to build and for me the bonus you get at full sparks is not enough to compensate for the fact that you have to build from zero every single fight. In fact sparks drop so quickly you have to build from zero between phases of HEs, even when the 'reinforcement' mobs turn up immediately. They need to improve the bonuses for having sparks and also add some kind of short delay to spark removal.

They also need to look at the class features. Apart from Borrowed Time they are lacklustre to the point of uselessness. These need a complete rework IMO with the effectiveness of NPNM as the benchmark to aim for. And not necessarily in the form of DPS either. I have no problem with Hellbringer being the pure DPS paragon but Soulbinder needs some added utility to compensate. Maybe a party-wide defense buff based on sparks or similar.

Soulbinder has fun gameplay and can be pretty effective in solo play, but it just doesn't add anything sufficient to compensate for lower DPS in group play. Which is a real shame as this is an opportunity to make Warlocks more varied and less one-dimensional.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    vagabondnsvagabondns Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just creating warlock and soon will need to chose paragon path
    wich one is option for me?
    i want necromanser not demonologist.
    sorry if this is of topic.
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I'm Stupid? says the kid who can't seem to muster up enough maturity to follow Forum rules.

If you have nothing to add to this post, Please feel free to Private message me and I will gladly discuss with you further.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vagabondns wrote: »
    Just creating warlock and soon will need to chose paragon path
    wich one is option for me?
    i want necromanser not demonologist.
    sorry if this is of topic.

Soulbinder or Hellbringer are the main options

then the spec path options are Fury (DPS), Damnation (i still wanna say it is DPS) and Temptation (Healing).

I personally like Fury Hellbringer
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So, just respec'd to soulbinder.

Surivablity is just...well, way better than I had with Hellbringer, especially with that offhand borrowed time feature boost. Probably best choice for PvP
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    feel like meeting up in IWD to screw around ?

i wont be able to until after 6:00 PM EST though
  • Options
    jondbxjondbx Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is soul binder really inferior to hellbringer? Happened to group with a 20K soul binder in MC while on my CW and he had TT up on EVERY set of mobs. He ended up with around 20M in total damage. Not sure exactly what build he was using, but was running dust to dust as his offhand artifact power.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jondbx wrote: »
    Is soul binder really inferior to hellbringer? Happened to group with a 20K soul binder in MC while on my CW and he had TT up on EVERY set of mobs. He ended up with around 20M in total damage. Not sure exactly what build he was using, but was running dust to dust as his offhand artifact power.
    Yeah, soulbinders tend to do less damage (I remember somebody did parsing and it was around 20% or so) than hellbringer mostly because of No Pity No mercy. It's survivability is amazing though
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Yeah, soulbinders tend to do less damage (I remember somebody did parsing and it was around 20% or so) than hellbringer mostly because of No Pity No mercy. It's survivability is amazing though
    And if you spec for it AP gain can be very high - especially with the right Artifact offhand. If you were to build for AP gain and spam TT in most dungeons you could well end up doing as much or more damage than a Hellbringer just because of the increased TT uptime.

Most 'normal' builds though will be as you say - around 20% less sustained DPS but much better survivability, even with a Fury build.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So, just respec'd to soulbinder.

Surivablity is just...well, way better than I had with Hellbringer, especially with that offhand borrowed time feature boost. Probably best choice for PvP

Yep the Borrowed Time feature is very nice.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    For me, the biggest difference is soul scorch. That is the skill that makes up for the loss of the passive no pity no mercy. Doing heavy necro damage, repeatedly, to a target to help trigger harder hitting creeping death is very nice. Mainly (aside from the fact that accursed diabolist does a lot of my job for me) I now feel like I'm the one doing the damage rather than a passive boost. It kind of feels better to know that I'm directly affecting how much pain I'm giving. And I realize that is mostly a state of mind and not objective data.

If you haven't tried it, try running WB, DT, SS till you run out of sparks as a soul binder (keeping in mind that you also have the accursed set, because that set makes DT a completely different skill than without it). There have been times while doing this that I have really seen the damage go crazy. For example, you can really go to town in elol with the number of high health single targets in there.

Depends a lot on who you're running with, though, and how fast things are dying. So much of our damage is done over time, so if people are geared higher than you are, or you have other people matching or beating your initial damage, you won't see the numbers climb as high as if you were in a group of healer dc, gf, and gwf as your supporters.

However, that is probably the same on hellbringer or soul binder. All I know for sure is that I find soulbinder to be a bit more interactive, and I definitely notice myself needing to use fewer potions. And I still do great damage that is only topped by better geared or more skilled players.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    wildwolf8 wrote: »
    If you haven't tried it, try running WB, DT, SS till you run out of sparks as a soul binder (keeping in mind that you also have the accursed set, because that set makes DT a completely different skill than without it). There have been times while doing this that I have really seen the damage go crazy. For example, you can really go to town in elol with the number of high health single targets in there.
    This is my standard rotation against high-HP targets like bosses and dragons. WC->WB->DT plus ED pam to build full sparks, then WC->WB->Spam SS until sparks are gone. Rinse and repeat. Builds hugely damaging CD stacks because of the extended burn from using SS on a cursed target.

Good times.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    goldenregisgoldenregis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014

According to my parses if you use Soul Scorch correctly (get the curse consume because it doubles the damage with a 6 sec DoT) it does more damage, at least on bosses. And I'm kinda sick of people saying No Pity No Mercy is extremely good. It only does Combat advantage, which can easily be gotten by a good party anyway.

I personally think Soulbinder is better because Soul Scorch and Dust to Dust.

I guess you do have to take this with a grain of salt, as I am a Temptlock
    Heh. Mod 0 player/guild, "The Jolly Rogers"
  • Options
    ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    According to my parses if you use Soul Scorch correctly (get the curse consume because it doubles the damage with a 6 sec DoT) it does more damage, at least on bosses. And I'm kinda sick of people saying No Pity No Mercy is extremely good. It only does Combat advantage, which can easily be gotten by a good party anyway.

I personally think Soulbinder is better because Soul Scorch and Dust to Dust.

I guess you do have to take this with a grain of salt, as I am a Temptlock

Indeed, with so many people running Renegade CW, Aspect of the pack HR and GF/GWFs with mark, it's easy to have almost 100% CA in a good party.
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ychiaki wrote: »
    Indeed, with so many people running Renegade CW, Aspect of the pack HR and GF/GWFs with mark, it's easy to have almost 100% CA in a good party.
    Combat Advantage is some vague stuff, at least the way it's calculated.

I don't know why but I deal way more damage with hellbringer path. Honestly I feel like soulbinder was some kind of "dps cage" for me...but a cosy one :3 Maybe I just should get used to soulbinder more.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Combat Advantage is some vague stuff, at least the way it's calculated.

I don't know why but I deal way more damage with hellbringer path. Honestly I feel like soulbinder was some kind of "dps cage" for me...but a cosy one :3 Maybe I just should get used to soulbinder more.
    I just did some testing which indicates that on bosses at least there is little to no DPS difference between the two paragons - for Fury 'locks at least. Soul Scorch is just that good if used correctly. Seems to trigger more Hellfire procs than the standard Hellbringer rotation.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    jayson3080jayson3080 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2_zps150a43a5.jpg whats this bar and how to use it
  • Options
    behennabehenna Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That bar is you soul sparks bar. Every time you essence defiler it will go up one bar(also get a Soul Spark for any crit hit on any skill) The circles light up every time you get 6 Soul Sparks they will light up with flames when you max out at 30. You use them by using an ability call Soul Scorch which is Available at 30 points. Soul Scorch uses 6 sparks per cast. That or you wait for combat to end and they heal you:D