test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea to reduce the Toxicity of the PVP community

xplmao2xplmao2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
We had this in another game, basically:

You get Admins or Volunteers, that just play PVP, and if they notice someone has a good behavior (Thank you! Hi! Good job team! Oh we're losing... better chance next time!) etc etc. He gets a nice reward, not too shiny, but shiny enough.

Surely this would make more peace in the PVP realm, because compared to Roleplayers (If they even exist anymore) or players from Legit_community, the PVP community seems overly childish and jerk-ish. This turns off a lot of players (Know a handful that have quit, or the girl that made a thread yesterday).

What do you guys think?
Post edited by xplmao2 on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    People would just make macro's to spout "cheers" to try to get it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    People would just make macro's to spout "cheers" to try to get it.

I was thinking of something like this.

Not sure if such thing is possible in this game, but some sort of spectate mode maybe? Like Incognito spying.

On the other hand, people wouldn't know who the volunteers are.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    a vote for MvP of the match? Swtor had something like that, but it didnt rly make any difference.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    People mention the toxicity of the pvp community but pve isn't much better. You have ninja looters, kicking unfairly, hijacking parties, and people insulting others such as the 5 drakes in well of dragons, or the people crying when they lose in tiamat or even if a head dies too early (even if the team is melting through)
  • Options
    x3n0forumx3n0forum Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Solution: mute everything but the guild channel & custom channels when pugging.
    Jokes aside, I do tend to mute zone chat & put toxic players on ignore as soon as they start being rude.
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    mute zone, and say.
    set yourself visible to friends only.
    done!
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i generally DGaF about that, but it hurts my eyes that the chat keeps spammed so i disabled everything except guild, pm, party and say.

its impossible to fix the chat, there always will be rude ppl, either rude in chat or rude in pvping in greens/trolling/quitting/afk or whatever.

or mute everybody and let the gods sort them out
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    xplmao2 wrote: »

You get Admins or Volunteers, that just play PVP, and if they notice someone has a good behavior (Thank you! Hi! Good job team! Oh we're losing... better chance next time!) etc etc. He gets a nice reward, not too shiny, but shiny enough.

Surely this would make more peace in the PVP realm, because compared to Roleplayers (If they even exist anymore) or players from Legit_community, the PVP community seems overly childish and jerk-ish. This turns off a lot of players (Know a handful that have quit, or the girl that made a thread yesterday).

What do you guys think?

Here's the thing...what about those PVE'ers that go into pvp just for their dailies? I mean, they have to get all their trash talk out quickly since they won't be around long, correct? I don't think they will care about all the cheery stuff. Nasty little guys, those ones...
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Noone PvPs because some big names of PvP just don't care and boost their e-peen by trashtalking at everything that can beat them. Besides PvP is so broken, just had to witness those permadaze rogues this evening. At first I thought it was a joke. HRs do need their CC to be tonned down too, too much favor even for Do'Urden halflings-fans
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mute zone, and say.
    set yourself visible to friends only.
    done!

I've had this set up since beta.

but people flame more in party chat fyi.
  • Options
    axis40axis40 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    i would be perfect candidate for this job because i was doing this job since closed beta on my own.
    for example i kill one player at least 5x times in one pvp and if they dont complain or quit i send them a gift.
    until now i manage to send total of one gift since beta to a very brave pve cw.
    gift was stack of peridot.
    no joke
  • Options
    f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    axis40 wrote: »
    i would be perfect candidate for this job because i was doing this job since closed beta on my own.
    for example i kill one player at least 5x times in one pvp and if they dont complain or quit i send them a gift.
    no joke

plz give this guy a job
    we need more people like him
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I tend tu put rude players on ignore list, and try not to be rude myself.

I also have people talking to me cause of what i write here on forums.
    Got a couple of guys saying to me they liked my ideas.
    Yesterday got another couple of guys and it was like that, match over (unbalanced as usual, out team won easily) and we were chilling out.

Player 1(TR): hey. You are that forum guy. The one who is always bias about GWF.
    Me: me?
    Player 1(TR): yeah
    Player 2 (GWF): yeah you bltch. Your mom *random insult*
    Player 2 (GWF): fu*k you
    Player 2 (GWF): your mom *couple of random insults*
    Me: lol

was about to put them in ignore then the GWF guy wrote a smile so i assumed he was joking (?). I understand that cause sometimes i get bored (many matchmaking fails in PvP) and pretend to be rude with someone, then smile and make him understand i'm jocking.

But more often people just act rude and insult you for whatever reason.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014

Did you write the reason of the gift in the mail?

I'd feel like a loser for receiving a pity gift from someone. And I'm not even PvP.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    no joke

If this is true you are a good man brah.

Hats off.
  • Options
    axis40axis40 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Did you write the reason of the gift in the mail?

I'd feel like a loser for receiving a pity gift from someone. And I'm not even PvP.

you had to be there to see it
    he was pure pve cw no shield 22k hp maybe 12gs
    i must have kill that cw 15 times and was 2 sec death each time
    saving dailys folowing him around only him.....
    i did that deliberatly to see what will he do
    but he didnt mind he kept on playing like it was nothing trying his best no matter what .
    he was running to cap even if i killed him like 5 times straight from spawn
    u cant fake that dedication
    such person dont need pity and will never except it
    but everyone likes a gift.
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Don't play PvP. Worked for me.
  • Options
    zxornzxorn Member Posts: 160 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    It's a F2P game... I've yet to play a F2P game that didn't have an obnoxious level of immaturity and rudeness. It comes with the brand.

I myself say just about nothing to anyone in chat ever. If someone rages I stay silent. It's likely my silence and ownage of them irks them more than anything I could say anyways.

I think a lot of rage, at least the bits coming from the more experienced and intelligent players would settle if they felt PvP had more stable grounds, there are an uncountable number of exploitative bugs in this game. Many players have based their fighting styles around these exploits and it's fairly frustrating to loose because of them. This game had fewer bugs in beta and still some that have remained from beta this entire time. That alone is enough to frustrate any PvPer.

They should really be focusing on getting this game free of bugs and mechanic flaws before adding more content, bringing even more flaws.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've had this set up since beta.

but people flame more in party chat fyi.

You can also just altogether close the chat box, I do that sometimes :D

Both the PvP and PvE community have toxic people. It comes with the anonymity of the internet. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I do PVPs and DD and frankly when things go south in an epic Dungon... there is much more whineing and rudeness
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like the toxicity of our pvp community. Sadly its gotten less toxic and everyone is friendly nowadays. =(
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I suggest getting rid of PvP and focusing on what makes Neverwinter Neverwinter:

PvE

This isn't a troll post, I simply find PvP out of place in a cooperative game.
  • Options
    greatweaponarmygreatweaponarmy Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I suggest getting rid of PvP and focusing on what makes Neverwinter Neverwinter:

PvE

This isn't a troll post, I simply find PvP out of place in a cooperative game.

I'd nod in agreement to your comment if PVE in this game wasn't a walk in the park and always will be.
  • Options
    theevilskeevertheevilskeever Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2014
    Both the PvP and PvE community have toxic people. It comes with the anonymity of the internet. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.
    zxorn wrote: »
    It's a F2P game... I've yet to play a F2P game that didn't have an obnoxious level of immaturity and rudeness. It comes with the brand.

These are bad excuses. There are surely a lot of teenagers playing f2p games, sadly, only parents can fix them (hint: by removing internet privilege). But for adults such behaviour is not excusable. This is not okay, and you simply enable toxicity when saying that it's alright, it's what all people do. I'm, for one, surely don't want to enable toxic people, or reward undeserving people with my time (they happen to participate in group PvE as well, since it's PvE-heavy game). So options are either to avoid a whole part of the game just because immature and vile people tend to infest it, or to invest my precious time and money in the game with a less toxic audience. Unless, of course, Cryptic devs get their wits together and come up with the decision to this problem - it's just as important as fixing bugs and making new content, if not more so. For MMOs other people are content, after all.

Actually, banning the nasty folks outright will help a lot: unlike gold sellers, they have to level up their chars from the scratch to start getting the kicks of PvP, so after few round of nuking they will get the hint.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PVP is toxic because you can't kick people and you get rewards just for sitting in it. If someone could sit at the campfire or run in circles and do nothing during a dungeon run and you couldn't do anything about it you would probably see just as many rude comments in chat there. Just let me vote kick the 8k guy that dies once and then sits at the spawn the rest of the game and I won't have to tell him how bad he is.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    PVP is toxic because you can't kick people and you get rewards just for sitting in it. If someone could sit at the campfire or run in circles and do nothing during a dungeon run and you couldn't do anything about it you would probably see just as many rude comments in chat there. Just let me vote kick the 8k guy that dies once and then sits at the spawn the rest of the game and I won't have to tell him how bad he is.

This is only PART of the issue.

1) The scoring system sucks! You can run around on your horse, cap nodes while NOT defending them and get +300 per capture. You could end up with an individual score of 10,000 but have contributed very little to your team since the "points ticked for win" would be relatively low, but your personal score is very high.
    - This causes players who are bad, or dont know better, to play the game wrong.

2) The Matchmaking SUCKS! Most games are clear break-aways with 1 team destroying middle, which after 1-2 respawns the enemy just decides its easier to sit in spawn than to fight a pointless match.
    - The "team balanced ELO" doesnt work. They need to create actual "tiers" for match making. So when a top tier player Ques, they are only paired with other top players.

3) LeaderBoard/Ranked "Que" is the only way to Que. Not only is ELO broken and exploitable, its just not the best HOW they implemented everything. What they should have is a leaderboard based on class. So GFs compared to other GFs etc.

With a better working ELO system that ONLY compares you against your own CLASS. (its really not that hard to do) and a proper matchmaking system (see #2) would make more balanced games. YES longer Que times but better games.

Also having a non-ranked que would do wonders for casuals. Also a Separate premade Q(see #4)

4) PREMADES. This is again PART of the issue currently. There should be a "solo Q" option as seen above. Where its you Q-ing up and it uses the ELO/Match system to find you 4 party members and ranks you on your solo-Q ELO rank. Or a premade Q option.

Have separate ELOs and separate leaderboards for the two brackets.

Want to know YOUR rank? You can check your class rank (i.e. your rank among other Guardian Fighters) this is only calculated from games where you SOLO-Qd.

Or you can check your Premade ELO. This is ONLY calculated from PREMADE matches. This would be an "all classes" ranking like we have today.

What this tells you, is how good you are at your class when your playing by yourself. Or the Premade Que essentially tells you your "guilds" or "premade teams" rank.

Thats really the goal right? FYI - you will NEVER be able to compare two different classes in the same leaderboards. With the game how it is, there are FAR to many variables. Back in mod 3 the best GF was like 10-15 pages deep. Where as GWFs/HRs were top 10 pages in majority. If THIS were the case. Youd have players who are in the "top GF page" who may have been "25 pages deep" in the "cumulative". Its just not "fair" to put two classes against eachother.

5) Losing Rank by winning. Another MAJOR issue in the ELO calculations that needs to be addressed. You should never LOSE by winning. It just defeats the purpose.

Overall it SHOULD look like this. Want to Que for PVP? You have 3 choices:
    1) Ranked Solo-Q PVP: Cant be grouped. Affects your rank within your "Class-only" ranking.
    2) Un-ranked PVP: Can be grouped. Has NO matchmaking, does not affect elo/rank. (basically PRE-mod 3 pvp)
    3) Ranked Premade PVP: Must be in a group of 5. ONLY pits you against other Premades. Affects your PREMADE rank - as seen on the premade leaderboards.

Now you have alot of options. The ONLY thing you cant do is que with 2-4 players for a ranked game. You can un-ranked Que if youd like. Unfortunately thats the cost of balanced games TBH.

The only risk you have with solo-Q is you never know who you will get. Thats why the above would also be VERY key. A good matchmaking "tier" system.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This forum itself teaches us the "toxicity" is often the opposite extreme of "stupidity". When you have clueless idiots jimmying up the bandwagon in hopes of castrating a class to hide their own incompetency, the victims tend to lash out.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    theevilskeevertheevilskeever Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    This forum itself teaches us the "toxicity" is often the opposite extreme of "stupidity". When you have clueless idiots jimmying up the bandwagon in hopes of castrating a class to hide their own incompetency, the victims tend to lash out.

Tsk tsk tsk, poor little darlings. So you are saying that these "victims" bully and harass the rest of the playing folks, who may or may not participate in the forum discussion, because of the persecution complex? Doesn't sound very victim-like.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited December 2014

What do you guys think?

I think this as an idea is initially good, but has way too many faults to promote it. You'll get cries of favoritism, or hate, or other emotional reactions to it since a human is involved rather than mere coding.

Well, people yell at the lag and coding anyhow. Let's keep it directed at something without feelings (the computer and program) rather than inflict it upon humans further.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon