test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you like the Armor Enchantment's visual effect that you're using?

borrowedtime1borrowedtime1 Member Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Now, I'm still new to the game and only know a few, but I believe these ones are most popular:

Soulforged (trust me it looks Really bad on anything but black; it KILLs any Armor with glowing white/silver color on it)

8gsjfBU.jpg

Barkshield (I actually like this one if not for the horrible buff it gives)

EEgjpXY.jpg

It all started from this internal thread: Disabling Soulforged Armor visual?
Post edited by borrowedtime1 on

Comments

• obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It looks okay atm. My shadow wolf blends with Soulforged.
    However I'd love the option to turn the effect off.
    Not a lot of point in being stylish since I'm always bathed in ink.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    All my chars I use enough to have an armor enchant use Soulforged.

I despise it.

It sort of works on my TR and HR; they wear black and the crawling shadow effect works for a follower of Vhaeraun, but my other chars? Ugh no. My DC I no longer use? His blue/silver ice theme is completely ruined by SF. My GWF? Yeah, her green celtic theme is also screwed up by the ugly of SF. My CW? Doesn't match either, and after a race reroll that forced Mod 3 appearance on her, it does a weird swirling second neck thing.

My DC's MH set that had all his transmutes/dyes is left with a lesser frostburn that gives a lovely ice effect that looks great, but FB is awful and not worth using, and the HP set he was last actually using I didn't even bother to dye/transmute, because frickin' SF.

WTB: Turning armor enchant visual off.

Also weapon enchant. Terror looks godsawful on my DC's ice scepter, too. And my TR's Perfect Vorpal is going to give me a seizure one of these days flashing like that.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I strongly dislike the soulforged enchant's visuals. The thunder, the fire, they were ok, even if not so useful other than for the visual. I ran with that, for a little while. The entwined one just made me look like I needed a good wash... and I am sure there is a doctor out there with a cure for barkskin. Blood? Mmmmm latex. Yeah.. ok.

Weapon enchants don't bother me so much.. except for my TRs and HR, who have it on one hand and not the other. And the greater plaguefire on my GF, which makes him look like he's waving his magic baby wand, curing diaper rash for young and old...

Yeah.. ok. If we can't disable these things.. at least let the weapon and armor enchants only display them when dealing or taking damage, respectively. Or at least when in PE, turn them off.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I liked my perfect soulforged so much that I sold it and got a lesser to replace it with.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hedgebet wrote: »
    I liked my perfect soulforged so much that I sold it and got a lesser to replace it with.

Lmao. I'm running with lesser for the exactly same reason.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • hoofithoofit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I dislike Barkshield I find it looks bulky but above all airs on the side of looking cheap and quickly made. It reminds of seeing marsh animal dung floating in the swampy water out on the marsh, it even goes the same colour after a while. I'd like to know why some enchants seem better than others in respect of more powerful effects.
  • yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I like my soulforged even though I'm not all in black. That said an option to turn it on/off wouldn't be bad.
  • borrowedtime1borrowedtime1 Member Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    hedgebet wrote: »
    How are they different?

Now, to provide everyone with the information, I've gonna post this here:
    zebular wrote: »
    The following was posted on the Neverwinter Ask Me Anything Reddit by Product Manager Ryan Clark just over a month ago:

User Question:
    Angry_Sprite: Hello, Ryan! Okay - it's been nagged about in forums since the beginning:
    Will there EVER be a time when we can HIDE Enchantment visual effects from our Armor, weapons and Fashion? Ever? (I hate this even more than all the bugs I run into!)

Ryan's Reply:
    PWE_Community: It is tough - as a business everything is about the return on investment. While it would be a huge win from a community standpoint, the time investment into setting up tech that lets people hide enchantments is quite costly. If you had a gun to my head, I would say that unfortunately it will never happen. There is always a small chance, though. Maybe if we put a lot more visual enchantments into the game later, there becomes a better business case for adding that feature.

User Comment:
    Goblynlord: Disappointing. Thanks for being honest though. Surprised the cost couldn't be offset from redoing the system by selling alternate visuals for the enchants or something.

Ryan's Reply:
    PWE_Community: Yeah - there are opposing internal opinions on whether or not we should have more enchantment visuals in the game. My personal opinion is, of course, that we should have as many awesome and flashy visuals as possible. Why? Because it is another potential source of revenue.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    yokanaan wrote: »
    I like my soulforged even though I'm not all in black. That said an option to turn it on/off wouldn't be bad.
    How are they different?
    The higher tier the enchantment, the more profound and visually noticeable the enchantment's visual effects are. Perfect Soulforged basically encases all your armor in darkness. This is why I only use a Lesser and then only put it in when I am delving or going to face some tough battles.

Otherwise, I leave my Thunderhead in on my main, or some other enchant on my alts. I only have one character that stays in Soulforged all the time, which is my main rogue, because it suits him. Still, I won't upgrade it because the effects for anything higher than lesser on soulforged is just too much for me, aesthetically.

Personally, I voted Dislike. I'd like to be able to toggle my enchants' visual effects on and off. I'd also like to be able to choose between the levels of appearance. For instance, if I am wearing a Greater Soulforged and for whatever reason, I'd like to choose to display the Lesser effect instead. Make such so you can only change to a lesser visual effect than what you own, so a Lesser cannot be displayed as a Greater, only vice versa. This latter is less of a desire for me though than the toggling option. Being able to toggle the visual effects is a no brainer to me and something I'd really love.

I'd even pay for it, if it were an account or character unlock, as long as the price was reasonable.

Mod Note: Changed the Poll "Hate" option to "Dislike" as to be more applicable and less biased. I also added an "Other opinion (post below)" choice for posters with comments like Tousseau mentioned above.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some are okay (Frostburn and Frost look okay - a frozen ice-sheen on your stuff) - others look horrible (Perfect Vorpal looks like a siezure-inducing strobe light and Perfect Barkshield makes me look like an ENT (A growing tree) - they are among the worst.

The texture-only stuff is 50-50 depending on what you're wearing. It's the stupid TREE growing out of my chest while wearing a Merchant's Outfit (Fashion tab) that really irks me. Personally, I'd like it all a lot better if they at least didn't show on the Fashion tab. My vote is to just turn them all off until they at least fix this. But I know better than to hold my breath on that one.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like Soulforged's visual effect personally, especially since I am a TR. But everyone is going to have a different opinion. A toggle would be nice, though.

You can't please all of the people all of the time . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No opinion. Since I am a casual pkayer, I dont have the time/desire/motivation for enchants, so it's all the same to me.

However, I do agree that the abikity to turn off (or even transmute) visual effects should be fundamental.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Basically it comes down for the devs to "Can we make money on this".

The only way this is coming is with a Zen item similar to the Dye Remover. There is just no money in it otherwise.
  • johnperqjohnperq Member Posts: 77
    edited December 2014
    How about this for a feature request:

A 'feature request' auction house where players can commit zen to a
    specific request, with the ability to retract your zen so you can commit it
    to another feature request. Then if devs commit themselves
    to a feature, the zen get spend.

I know I would throw in a few bucks to get invisible soulforged.
    If enouph people do it would be unprofitable to NOT implement it.

Not THAT easy to implement, so no expectations on short timeframe,
    but it would be a source of revenue AND motivate the devs to
    implement stuff we actually want. Maybe they would even get a paycheck
    for stuff they where going to implement anyway.
    Oswald <Semper Fidelis> - http://semper-fidelis.guildlaunch.com
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I posted other. Not because I dislike the visual enchants although a few can be reworked.. its just I would love to use other dye packs besides moon shadow, black and control wizard since i use soulforge. If you use bloodtheft there isnt even a point in having a dye pack. So would be nice to actually customize our character without an effect getting in the way.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm sorry, but any comment stating "this is not easy to implement" is pure BS. This would take someone less than a few minutes to program and has been asked for from the moment the effects were shown. I understand ROI, but making customers happy and throwing them a bone has an ROI to it also that can't be measured, but would be noticed.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think they are awesome and seriously, and is it worth dieing over? Even if I didn't like it the Pros would out weigh the Cons, guess I'm not as much as a fashionista as the rest of you.
  • grindtoofgrindtoof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The ability to turn off enchantment visual effects is a no-brainer and should have been instituted from the beginning similar to the helm check box option. If monetary incentive is priority, then simply make the choice cost zen; however understand that majority player base wants this (that means huge cash cow moooooooo)...
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I do love my Greater Bloodtheft!
    screenshot_2014-12-02-10-42-04_zps79e7cefc.jpg

screenshot_2014-12-02-10-42-14_zps66910b1c.jpg

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • thewolfisloosethewolfisloose Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Solution to armor enchants conflicting with character style: Make all armor enchants on par with Soulforge. It's obvious why everyone has black smoke wafting off them. A small percent chance for an effect you won't notice does not compare to a 100% chance (available at lesser) to avoid death after you derp into a red spot. You could have tiny chance to tickle your enemies with minor damage...or you could 100% not die...And so the fiendish black visual, great for your sneaky rogue, is also on your shiny white DC and covering your unique dyes. If the other armor enchants were useful then we'd have more visual options. And there would be incentive to work / buy our way to higher versions of these enchants. No new system or currency or npc or windows needed. Just boost them.

As far as controlling the amount of the visual effect...idk maybe use something like the companion appearance menu? Not as important as boosting other enchants.

All in all the visuals are awesome. But it's been long overdue for diversity to be the new black.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We need to be able to turn visuals on and off as we please. We do not need to get rid of them completely just because some of us don't like them. I'm sure many like them for their looks, and some just like to show off their perfect enchantments. Personally I dislike most of them, especially at higher ranks.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A while back panderus even said he hated the way Bloodtheft wrecked his characters wedding dress or something and he said that he wanted it changed but it was on the list , then that guy recently came up with the return on investment stuff so probably not ever going to happen , especially if they are only willing to work on stuff that gets them money.

I do have to defend the developers though , surely it cannot be as simple as changing just one single line of code or 30 seconds work like a lot of people seem to think it is ,or if it is can't the people who say it also suggest the code change that needs to happen and post it and explain where to insert it into the main client on the server and also the change that would have to be made to players clients?
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As a hobbyist coder I can see where it could be problematic to change depending upon the initial approach used during the initial design. I don't know if it is possible to make a container type for it that has no visuals or if they can do a method like they did with emperor's. It seems to me that the solution certainly cannot be as complex as is suggested unless it was really hard wired with no forethought.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Love my SF but OP is correct, looks awesome on darker themed armors. The Barkshield is freakin ugly imo, would have gotten one back in mod 3 but I cant stand the visual effect.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I currently have a greater bloodtheft just for the looks and the once and a while proc that saves my bacon.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I tried many and unfortunately, each time it was going worse when the enchant was improved lesser=>normal=>greater=>perfect. Lesser was ok, perfect was unbearable.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    depends on enchant and character. My P.SF looks pretty awesome on my CW
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I'd be okay with it if it covered the headgear too when Perfect.

The way it currently is feels... unfinished.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • aspen1979aspen1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 64
    edited December 2014
    obsiddia wrote: »
    It looks okay atm. My shadow wolf blends with Soulforged.
    However I'd love the option to turn the effect off.
    Not a lot of point in being stylish since I'm always bathed in ink.

Agree with this reply.