test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

did that guy say anything interesting on ama reddit?

dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
did that guy say anything interesting on ama reddit?
Post edited by dodgo on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Depends what you're interested in. You could just, um, read it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Depends what you're interested in. You could just, um, read it.

i kinda did read it but dont see any insights myself. wondered what others thought?
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It showed the "false hopes" and allows us to not waste energy hoping for some of that stuff, other things such as why there was a Sgt. Knox companion auction: just as many of us thought - intended as a quick large AD sink. Other little tidbits that aren't really earth-shattering news, but helps confirm some suspicions, adds a little hope on others like PvP and so on.

Here's the thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/2kphsw/hi_reddit_my_name_is_ryan_and_i_am_the_product/
  • fusionawesomefusionawesome Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Depends on what you find interesting. He gave straight and honest answers so kudos for that.

2 things that stood out to me:
    * when asked why don't you do more this or that mostly came down to whether or not it had an return on investment.
    So for example they are not focusing foundry right now because they don't think it will bring up enough that it justifies the cost.
    * PVP is apparently very popular in the Russian server and therefor may see some attention in the future.

Here you can read the full ama:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/2kphsw/hi_reddit_my_name_is_ryan_and_i_am_the_product/
  • notsheriffsrsnotsheriffsrs Banned Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    - Why are guardians the most useless class in the game?

PWE_Community 5 hours ago

Honestly? Probably because they can't run. Mechanically it is super important for them to be able to block, but I can't personally get over the mental barrier of not being able to move out of the way like all the other classes can.
    edited October 2014
    That's the most honest answer based on personal feeling that he could give a question that's totally outside his realm of expertise if serious and otherwise just trollbait.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I actually got kinda depressed by most of the answers. The guy seemed honest, and was trying to put a positive spin on stuff. But there are only so many ways to say we don't have plans for this or we can't do that. There were a few odd bits of juicy info though. Like where he said they are working towards taking the profit out of botting. And where he said it wasn't out of the realm of possibility when asked if guild/player housing could be seen soon.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We're trying to find a good solution for combating them (bots). There are two options: try to shut down the ability to bot or try to shut down the reason for botting. Right now, we are working towards trying to shut down the reason that the majority of them are botting, which is to make a profit off of it.

Enchantments and refining stones to become BoP/BtA? :rolleyes:
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    He wrote that pve will always be easy.
    He wrote that the real end game is pvp.
    He wrote that the majority of russian players play pvp and we will have new pvp contents even if not developed yet.
    He wrote that foundry are not going to have any love cause they are not going to bring any money but they are thinking better about this.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I found this interesting.
    However, we do have plans to increase the level cap in the future.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/2kphsw/hi_reddit_my_name_is_ryan_and_i_am_the_product/clniq6o
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Was browsing reddit and stumbled upon it. Didnt really find anything that interesting. He was mostly straight forward with what he could say.

edit: AHH yah the lvl cap raising was interesting to find out. ofc it may be some time before it happens.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • notsheriffsrsnotsheriffsrs Banned Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Enchantments and refining stones to become BoP/BtA? :rolleyes:

I hope so !!!!!!
    edited October 2014
    I suppose one thing that would be of general interest is the statement that double refinement events would happen more often because this is something they can now easily toggle on and off.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    edit: AHH yah the lvl cap raising was interesting to find out. ofc it may be some time before it happens.

Yea, I dont expect that is something that will happen in the near future. It seems like a long range goal. Even so, it will have to be done carefully. Can you imagine all the heads that will explode when all their BiS level 60 artifact gear gets eclipsed by new level 70 BiS artifact gear.
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The two things that caught my eye as most informative about the state of NW were the "we have plans for a level cap increase in the future" response, and this
    [–]Renard4 -1 points 4 hours ago
    Hey Ryan. So is making the newer group content, since module 3, extremely easy, a part of the business plan? Do you intend to stick to it? Or will we see dungeons with challenging mechanics like in module 1 and 2?
    [–]PWE_Community 1 point 3 hours ago
    The difficulty end-game without a cap comes from PvP, because there is always someone out there that can probably kill you. As for PvE though, hopefully the Tiamat fight provides you with the challenge that you are looking for. I myself am a Dark Souls fanboy, so I crave having difficulty thrown at me - but I am just one opinion. If we made the content too difficult, we could run the risk of tons of players who can't handle it quitting. Like with pretty much everything, we need to strike that balance.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    He wrote that the majority of russian players play pvp and we will have new pvp contents even if not developed yet.

Interesting interpretation there.

This is what he wrote about PvP
    So, the good news for you is that while the PvP community is small on the International shard (Dragon), it is huge on the Russian one (Drider). That means the chances of new PvP content getting created is probably better than you might think. No ETA, of course. :P

Unless I'm missing another quote, that's a pretty far cry from what you're suggesting.

Also, as far as the level cap goes, we're in Paragon Tier right now at Level 60. Neverwinter took the original 30 levels of play from 4E and broke them up into 30 levels each. 1-30 is Heroic, 31-60 is Paragon...and 61-90 will be Epic tier.

My guess the big surprise for Module 6 is a small increase in the level cap, maybe 5-10 levels, and the start of your "Epic Destiny".
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    " it is obvious that if we just release a grindfest, nobody will want to play that"
    Just want to leave this quote here
    ────────────────────────────
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    He wrote that foundry are not going to have any love cause they are not going to bring any money but they are thinking better about this.

This really kills the game for me. Foundry can bring them money, not directly, but it keeps players around. I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the foundry to get better. Because it's bare bones at best right now, and has so much potential to expand the game in an actual dnd fashion. Was really hoping for a touch up in module 5. Guess that's not going to happen.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited October 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Yea, I dont expect that is something that will happen in the near future. It seems like a long range goal. Even so, it will have to be done carefully. Can you imagine all the heads that will explode when all their BiS level 60 artifact gear gets eclipsed by new level 70 BiS artifact gear.

STO did it with their last game update. They added an gear update method kind of like a cross between artifact refining and crafting (NRNG determine quality). REfining added to the level of the gear and a RNG outcome can up the quality of the gear. It adds path of being able to upgrade the any of the games gears (even low level gear) to the new top end stats w/o having to go grind and earn them again.

I think that NW will do something similar when they up the level cap.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited October 2014
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    This really kills the game for me. Foundry can bring them money, not directly, but it keeps players around.

That is a hard thing to really quantize in terms of monetary value for the companies bottom line. Security regulators start paying attention if you start putting too much value on ephemeral things.
  • samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    "We have a person that is pretty much dedicated to class balance 24/7. He's aware that some classes are more desirable end-game than others, and he has many sleepless nights trying to figure out how to change that."

Gentlemancrush is awesome, seems really good at addressing issues instead of ignoring them
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
    edited October 2014
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    That is a hard thing to really quantize in terms of monetary value for the companies bottom line. Security regulators start paying attention if you start putting too much value on ephemeral things.

Only if they are blind. Look at what the guy said himself. In another question someone asked why choose Neverwinter over something like WoW and the foundry was brought up as a reason. Also the foundry gets the game talked about. Its good press. Not long ago they linked an article in the forums where the foundry had gotten Neverwinter mentioned.

As for the bottom line. They need to quit looking at the foundry as a drain and more as an asset. Fixing the foundry issues is also a chance to make money for them. Here is an example:

One of the biggest issues with the foundry is the lack of rewards. Currently all we have is the Rhix daily and Neveremeber's quest. Neither compares to just running a dungeon and salvaging stuff. And the chest at the end of each foundry is garbage and might as well not be there.

For the Rhix daily you have to run 4 quests that average at least 15 minutes each. So basically an hour or more of running quests. Now imagine if turning in that daily gave you a chest of comparative value to a dungeon delve. Then they could sell something in the cash shop that let you reset your daily and run it again for another chest. Since the daily takes an hour (longer than just running a dungeon) this isn't game breaking. Yet they still get extra income.

Once the coding on something like that is done that's pure profit, that continues indefinitely. More people are running foundry content. Foundry creators are happy. Foundry players are happy whether or not they use the cash item. And the game is making more money.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    He wrote that pve will always be easy.
    Yes, it's exactly what I saw.

If the real end-game is gonna be always PvP, than it needs a HUGE amount of dedicated attention, unlike now.
    edited October 2014
    runebane wrote: »
    Only if they are blind. Look at what the guy said himself. In another question someone asked why choose Neverwinter over something like WoW and the foundry was brought up as a reason. Also the foundry gets the game talked about. Its good press. Not long ago they linked an article in the forums where the foundry had gotten Neverwinter mentioned.

As for the bottom line. They need to quit looking at the foundry as a drain and more as an asset. Fixing the foundry issues is also a chance to make money for them. Here is an example:

One of the biggest issues with the foundry is the lack of rewards. Currently all we have is the Rhix daily and Neveremeber's quest. Neither compares to just running a dungeon and salvaging stuff. And the chest at the end of each foundry is garbage and might as well not be there.

For the Rhix daily you have to run 4 quests that average at least 15 minutes each. So basically an hour or more of running quests. Now imagine if turning in that daily gave you a chest of comparative value to a dungeon delve. Then they could sell something in the cash shop that let you reset your daily and run it again for another chest. Since the daily takes an hour (longer than just running a dungeon) this isn't game breaking. Yet they still get extra income.

Once the coding on something like that is done that's pure profit, that continues indefinitely. More people are running foundry content. Foundry creators are happy. Foundry players are happy whether or not they use the cash item. And the game is making more money.

The enhancements most foundry authors are wanting are features that are in the devs creation tools, more map kits (don't recall exact name), etc. Things which take a considerable amount of time because they need to be player proofed. That takes a lot more effort in coding resources than the devs tools would take. Programming time is very expensive and Cryptics codes are in demeand for every game they have and are creating. The company has determined the ROI spending those resources is very low to negative.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sad.

If PvP is "the real end game" then Neverwinter is doomed. PvP is really sad at the moment and they don't appear to have a clue about creating PvP environments (hint: go hire some ex-Warhammer developers).

And the foundry not being profitable??
    Wow. Blind as a bat. It's a major selling point of the game in every advertising I've seen.
    The fact that they haven't figured out how to "monetize" it? Um?
    • Foundry Coins for fashion clothing?
    • Foundry Coins for dyes?
    • Zen store "product placement" (think Coca-Cola in movie scenes - they PAY the studios for placement!)
    • Foundry Coins for Zen store discount tickets?

Epic fail.
    If the "big foundry development push between mod 4 and 5" is vaporware I'll be shifting ALOT more time to my paid-subscription gaming.
    edited October 2014
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    The enhancements most foundry authors are wanting are features that are in the devs creation tools, more map kits (don't recall exact name), etc. Things which take a considerable amount of time because they need to be player proofed. That takes a lot more effort in coding resources than the devs tools would take. Programming time is very expensive and Cryptics codes are in demeand for every game they have and are creating. The company has determined the ROI spending those resources is very low to negative.

Disagree with this. Don't get me wrong, authors want the other stuff too. I really want them to push whatever code they used to make the TOD WC lair boss out of a shocktroop devil into the foundry. But many of us realize the rewards need to come first.

Take this thread for example. How many times do you see rewards mentioned?
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    have to say that i did not understand a **** thing from those answers. He is saying one thing in the first sentence only to retract in the second.

1. pvp is a big thing, but we dont care so we;ll see if we want to care...
    2. foundry is our saving grace, but we dont care atm and if nothing hits us in the head to wake up we'll keep it like that...
    3. pve is easy?! ofc is easy cause it seems that brings us the money, we dont care balancing it...
    4.campaigns are too much of a grind?! Good, it is working as intended then, pls dont bother us with such silly demands...
    5 More classes?! sure... only that they;ll be 1 per year at most
    and the best part!!!:
    6.We;ll increase the cap lvl in the future !!!!!! Is how we;ll deal with things when they pile up too much and we wont have any other solution to clean them.

As a conclusion:
    You are putting yourself in a vicious cycle, you are reactive to the demands of a segment that you;ve chosen with your actions while pushing away the rest and now you are saying that you didnt want their money... You;ve walked away from all the strong points of this game, the ones that you advertised, so i am deeply confused cause you know what you have to do but you just cant find the way to do it...
  • luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    h
    6.We;ll increase the cap lvl in the future !!!!!! Is how we;ll deal with things when they pile up too much and we wont have any other solution to clean them.

Was something like this really mentioned? This would basically kill the playerbase instantly, because everything people worked for (yeah, i use the term "work" on purpose) gets instantly worthless. I can imagine, that a lot of players would get incredible frustrated by such a move.

Also they would probaly just recycle everything to a higher level, so that you have to do everything again.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Man, that was a depressing read. Nice to get answers but a lot of hope just got crushed.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    luxark wrote: »
    Was something like this really mentioned? This would basically kill the playerbase instantly, because everything people worked for (yeah, i use the term "work" on purpose) gets instantly worthless. I can imagine, that a lot of players would get incredible frustrated by such a move.

I don't think so. There is a huge playerbase that constantly requests and asks when more levels are going to be added. They are usually a large group (most? of the playerbase) that are min-maxers and "race to the top" players -- "first to level 70!" They typically never realize there ARE levels higher than 60 they're just not "numbered." They're called 60th T1 gear, 60th T2 gear; 60th T3 gear; 60th BiS gear; etc. Also instead of grinding the RNG, the playerbase would actually gain experience toward levels and the grind would be diminished in their minds.