Install Arc
Options

Something needs to be done about TOD dailies

Comments

• Options
    felinegamingfelinegaming Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    razyldazl wrote: »
    The problem is the so called "end game" players are the minority of players. You are the players that power through all the content, no matter what MMO it is, then complain that there is nothing else to do. Then comes the doom and gloom of how the game is doomed, and all the players are leaving, even though there is no evidence of it. The truth is there is no pleasing the pwer players, or as you call them the endgame players. Because even when they add more content you blow through that and begin the whole cycle of complaining all over again. The OP has a legitimate point. And the most players, and by default the devs it is not a "bad sign" because a mere percent of the population doesnt get their demands met.

Endgame players are not in the minority. Only active ones are. The rest are either inactive and/or playing other games as loboguild observed. My personal motivation, friend list, and guild all illustrate this. Just because endgame players aren't pleased doesn't mean there's no pleasing them. There are several unlocked threads suggesting reasonable improvements.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    razyldazl wrote: »
    Your choosing to do that. No one is forcing you to sit and wait. And again, hate to break the news to you, but that has been the story of every MMO since the days of EQ. The difference being that at least then, people didn't complain about it. That was part of the quest, and the actual achievement of finally getting the item. Todays player just basically expects everything to be handedmto them with little to no effort. But even then I think people would THEN complain that everything is to easy, and there was no challenge.

Maybe in open world boss raiding. That usually had a long respawn timer. Most other situations though the only waiting would be while you put together a party. Then you would get your loot from fighting something that had a good chance of smashing your face into the dirt. Here you wait to solo something that you could kill solo with one hand behind your back.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I agree 100%. The Dread Ring was the perfect amount of grinding for boons: not too much, and not too easy. I hope the devs read this and use the DR model for future Campaign releases . . .

agreed and we did not even grind for weeks to unlock new dungeon and skirmish there
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Endgame players are not in the minority. Only active ones are. The rest are either inactive and/or playing other games as loboguild observed. My personal motivation, friend list, and guild all illustrate this. Just because endgame players aren't pleased doesn't mean there's no pleasing them. There are several unlocked threads suggesting reasonable improvements.

So what would have kept these hardcore endgame players here? Harder content? Okay, you will burn through that in like maybe 2 weeks. Then what?

I think loboguild is right in that the hardcore gamer crowd likely has a choice of 20 or 30 games that they play and so they feel no loyalty or attachment to any of them. So if a game doesn't just hand stuff to them on a silver platter, or if a game doesn't approach content in exactly the way that the gamer expected, they'll just move on to the next game, while making vague complaints that the game they just left is either "too hard" or "not hard enough" (or both!).

Myself, Neverwinter is the only game that I play and the only MMO that I have ever played. I like the idea of killing dragons in dungeons and so that is what drew me here and what continues to hold me here.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    So what would have kept these hardcore endgame players here? Harder content? Okay, you will burn through that in like maybe 2 weeks. Then what?

I think loboguild is right in that the hardcore gamer crowd likely has a choice of 20 or 30 games that they play and so they feel no loyalty or attachment to any of them. So if a game doesn't just hand stuff to them on a silver platter, or if a game doesn't approach content in exactly the way that the gamer expected, they'll just move on to the next game, while making vague complaints that the game they just left is either "too hard" or "not hard enough" (or both!).

Myself, Neverwinter is the only game that I play and the only MMO that I have ever played. I like the idea of killing dragons in dungeons and so that is what drew me here and what continues to hold me here.

You'll never keep everyone, but the balance of things is off here, and only getting worse.
  • Options
    thecreampiethecreampie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't mind the dailies as they are, I just don't like the dragon timer thingies too too much. I'm a full time student, and I have a job. With the little free time I have, I hop on nw do dailies and hop off. I know it's 19 min after each dragon which isn't that long but who wants to wait for it. Sometimes instances only hold 15 pple at a time so I can't join instanes with a dragon about to start unless I get invited. And god knows no body ever invites me :\
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't mind the dailies as they are, I just don't like the dragon timer thingies too too much. I'm a full time student, and I have a job. With the little free time I have, I hop on nw do dailies and hop off. I know it's 19 min after each dragon which isn't that long but who wants to wait for it. Sometimes instances only hold 15 pple at a time so I can't join instanes with a dragon about to start unless I get invited. And god knows no body ever invites me :\

That just it too, at first people were helpful with invites. Now that people have seen the drop rate is bad, they have gotten the wrong info that if they have less people fighting the dragon they have a better chance of getting a good drop so the stop helping each other. Mis-information and greed have trashed this system from something that was ok the first few weeks to something that is a horrible chore.
  • Options
    nwswansnwswans Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2014
    I suggested following in my thread here:

>>>> A quick way to improve this would be to list the dragon spawn timers in the instance swapping menu.
    - You know the menu that pops up with you click the blue icon at the top right?
    - It shows the instances available, a column for friends in the instance, another column for guildmates, and a last column that shows the total number of players.
    - Just add another column that shows the dragon spawn timers.
    - This cuts down the waiting time to the cooldown timer to swap zones, which the player can use to do the zone's daily quest. A simple win-win situation all around, although there is still a problem where all the short spawn timer instances are already full and the player may still need to wait it out. Either way, this still beats hopping to a random instance without knowledge of the spawn time and hoping for a shorter timer (which is what most players are doing currently).
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I dunno about you guys but these days when I think about neverwinter I kind of resent it. I turn up for an hour each day to do what is essentially labour because I don't enjoy it all and then I leave to play other games that are fun. You guys should let me know if they ever introduce challenging content and daily content that isn't a chore.

When I get boon 4 I'm gone. Leadership will continue via the gateway when it functions on a lot of characters but I am not loading up the client for purposes other than invoking which you can set up on ahk, Like like 16 days and hours to get the last boon. I get paid more per hour and I'm not tossing it into a f2p game to be ahead of other people and I'm not going to hang out like an unemployed person for an hour each day either.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    That just it too, at first people were helpful with invites. Now that people have seen the drop rate is bad, they have gotten the wrong info that if they have less people fighting the dragon they have a better chance of getting a good drop so the stop helping each other. Mis-information and greed have trashed this system from something that was ok the first few weeks to something that is a horrible chore.

It was the opposite way in RU. In the first week people were scared that they won't get anything if the dragon is crowded (less chances to get great success tho), now they tend to help each other, invite, call timers because those dragons don't drop anything, and it doesn't matter if you fight it alone or zerg it.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That's hilarious, we were 15 on the rothe valley one earlier, everyone hit it once at spawn and then backed off because we al knew we aren't going to get a belt, you do the work of finishing it off please. I would rather press f on the mook than have to pay attention to this trash.
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    grind gate against overgearing doesnt helping anything. there are many players with "orange five" already. only chance let other players move near to them. people spend leadershiped AD (if not worse) and turn into beast. try GG pvp, its nice rollercoaster now, pvp is meh...
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    TOD changed NWN to a half-time job.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    So... you are suggesting that the challenge and difficulty in this game comes from being able to sit out boredom, and the effort we put in is measured in our ability to sit around watching numbers count down while resisting the urge to just go do something else?

Thins are moving that way. Mod 5 probably needs to not only redress the balance between grindy boring dailies and actual content, but streamline the way that prior grindy "campaigns" are completed.

As it is, a new player or character who wants to catch up has to grind dailies for hours per day to have any chance, and realistically won't have time to run dungeons or play any PvP, unless they can treat it as a full-time job. Obviously, people are expected to cough up for campaign unlocks, paying for the privilege of getting to actually play the game a few months earlier. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making the bulk of the game consist of tasks which are designed to be so boring that you'd pay to skip them!

Yes, I know, some awfully helpful types suggest that you should just do fewer dailies per day. This would be a reasonable suggestion if those adopting this tactic stood any chance at all of completing the previous "campaign" before a new grind is released. Only people who are completely "up to date" can hope to keep up, due to only having one set of grinds per day. That's before we consider people who might want to occasionally play more than one character..*

If things continue on the current trajectory, not only will a lot of people be chased away, but the remaining players will probably be a ripe target market for Zen-purchased Ritalin- just to keep going.

* Hey, guys, you're making it impossible to play alts in an effective manner. Alts need Zen shinies too- you're harming your own revenue stream.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Way to long, way to boring, way to hard to log in and care anymore about it.

60 days is a long enough time grind to get boons in any mod, Im sorry but thats it, thats all you shouldve done maximum.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    It's not how it works for a good % of the gamers. You want to sort of max out chars and that means doing the grind. If it gets too annoying, you don't just stop doing the dailies, you quit the game altogether and move on.

That's why players complain/warn/cry/whatever. Because the system drives off players. What you say is perfectly fine for a casual approach, but not for high-end/endgame ambitions. But we're already at a point where it's clear that casual players are indeed those the devs are aiming for, so the problem will probably sort out itself with most of the "upper class" leaving eventually and then nobody will complain.

I have an account with several 20k+ chars but haven't finished the latest campaign on any of them because of motivational reasons. I was away for a good week and right now it's very hard to get back to the game. Bad sign.

So what you saying then is because I don't feel the impulsive need to grind out campaigns for boons I must be a casual player? Or are you saying that the only way for a player to be, "hardcore" is for them to have a retardedly high gs and to have completed every campaign. The problem I find with this logic, is what gs is by definition. gs is more or less an average of your players gear stats, i.e, it is an approximation of the quality of the gear. The problem with gs is it in NO way tells you how good a player is, or if the gear that player is using is even correct for their build. How many people do you know that can 2 man CN with a gs of 14k and 12k? not many. So to judge a player as being, "casual" based off gs is obviously an inaccurate measure. If the only way for someone to prove they are "good" is to improve their gs, then we could all inflate our gs with rubbish gear to inflate our stats. I personally believe that players should strive more for the improvement of their own skills then for the improvement of their gs and in the process you will probably have more fun as you get to play the game, rather then mindlessly grind dailies. You can have endgame ambitions without doing the campaigns, limiting the endgame to campaigns is rather shortsighted and the only time it really helps to have BiS equipment and all boons is in pvp. Anyone who wants to enjoy the game and doesn't play pvp can do so without doing the mindless grind and the game will probably be more fun for them anyhow. In pve, t2 is endgame, anything beyond that is post endgame and isn't necessary. At that point, you are not striving for improvement, you are just satisfying your epeen. If you really want to improve, then play the game and don't do the dailies.
  • Options
    zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Guys, do you even realize that you can start ToD at level 26? Before you reach lvl 60 you're pretty much halfway in the campaign. Imho, it's fine as it is.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    zvieris wrote: »
    Guys, do you even realize that you can start ToD at level 26? Before you reach lvl 60 you're pretty much halfway in the campaign. Imho, it's fine as it is.

You do realize you can get to lvl 60 with no boosts in less then 24 hours of play time, in addition on a double exp weekend events, you can do some classes as little as 12 hours, even the slower classes around 15-17.

The stuff you get at low levels is meaningless, the issue here is the past 3 boon events .. being locked out do to rng and low loot/roll tables and them not adding the cults/sigals to the skirm/dd to allow different source of grinding other then doing boring stand around content.

Its not fine.. not at all.
  • Options
    zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    You do realize you can get to lvl 60 with no boosts in less then 24 hours of play time, in addition on a double exp weekend events, you can do some classes as little as 12 hours, even the slower classes around 15-17.

The stuff you get at low levels is meaningless, the issue here is the past 3 boon events .. being locked out do to rng and low loot/roll tables and them not adding the cults/sigals to the skirm/dd to allow different source of grinding other then doing boring stand around content.

Its not fine.. not at all.

If you play this game just to steam-roll through content then why do you play at all?
  • Options
    felinegamingfelinegaming Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you play this game just to steam-roll through content then why do you play at all?

That's a very fair question. Hopefully Module 5 gives me an answer, because at the moment I don't know.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

When I leveled my SW at the start of Mod 4 I was 60 the day after starting ToD just by doing quests. No power leveling tricks, just running the quests. How you could get halfway thru the campaign before hitting 60 is mindblowing to me. Leveling in this game is so fast.
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    so far I made 2 characters with all boons every module
    this time I wont make it to the 4th boon, not even on one character
    its take way too long to get 100 of each
    and as so many said, its boring!
    you have to play 2 hours for those dailies every day
    no dungeon runs, pvp etc.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    But I don't get this either. Even if you take a "casual approach" to the ToD boons, you will still be able to max out your character. You just won't be able to do it *really really quickly*. Is that the issue? You want to be able to max out your character right away? And then what?

I agree with the OP, there is no need to rush to get the last 2 boons. They are nice but not essential.

I will kill 1 or maybe 2 dragons per day, because I want to do other things in the game. Yesterday, instead of killing 3 more dragons, I did Epic DV. It was really fun.

I don't mind doing dailies for 60 days, I do mind if these dailies eat up the majority of my playing time each day. I think you can keep players occupied while easen the grind and also help people with alts without making a campaign shorter for those that play only one char (BtA...).

Frankly, Mod 2 and 3 were a bit too easy, because you only needed to do the Daily Lair and could cover the rest with the campaign booster from the lockboxes, but this is over the top. It's the combination of waiting times, long routes and RNG between mutliple chars that make this module a complete fail for me.
    I know we complained about Mod1, but although it takes much longer than 2 and 3, it does not feel as grindy. Because you can stockpile quests and don't necessarily need to do something every day to progress, it takes time, but never annoys me as much as Mod 4 currently does.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't mind doing dailies for 60 days, I do mind if these dailies eat up the majority of my playing time each day.

But the Common Cause mini-lair, killing 1 dragon, and doing 1 other non-dragon quest - which is the minimum needed for daily progression - should not "eat up the majority" of anyone's play time. That is like 30 minutes tops, and that is if you're slow.

The question is why you insist on declaring that *all five dragons* constitute dailies that you think you *must* do.
    Frankly, Mod 2 and 3 were a bit too easy, because you only needed to do the Daily Lair and could cover the rest with the campaign booster from the lockboxes, but this is over the top.

I think this is the crux of the issue right here. People have a pre-existing expectation that progress in a campaign should be really fast and easy. Mod 2 is held up as the example of perfection (even though at the time people still complained about that one too) because in order to progress, you only had to do 1 thing a day, the mini-lair! That really is too easy and has led in part directly to the power creep that we see now, where people get so powerful so quickly that they outgrow the content too fast.

I think a lot of the Mod 4 complainers really do want to be able to unlock all the boons with very very little effort. Maybe just like kill 1 dragon a day or something and - boom - done in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    But the Common Cause mini-lair, killing 1 dragon, and doing 1 other non-dragon quest - which is the minimum needed for daily progression - should not "eat up the majority" of anyone's play time. That is like 30 minutes tops, and that is if you're slow.

The question is why you insist on declaring that *all five dragons* constitute dailies that you think you *must* do.

Because by the time you reach the last set of daily unlocks (Assist the Zentarim) you pretty much do have to do all five dragons per day. Unless of course you don't care about unlocking the Skirmish, Dungeon, or Boons. And if that's the case...why are you even bothering with ToD anyway?
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    canis36 wrote: »
    Because by the time you reach the last set of daily unlocks (Assist the Zentarim) you pretty much do have to do all five dragons per day. Unless of course you don't care about unlocking the Skirmish, Dungeon, or Boons. And if that's the case...why are you even bothering with ToD anyway?

Or how about another great idea: Unlock the Skirmish and dungeon 2 months late so that the FEW drops that are WORTH SOMETHING are worth even less

Yay for smelling the roses!
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It might sound silly, but 20-30min per char per day adds up pretty soon especially if you have the feeling that you wait way too long because of stupid design flaws. And it's way more than in any other module. It's pretty clear they purposely added a bit here and there to make this campaign more grindy than the ones before.

Again: The game is perfectly fine for those that play casually one char, I don't challenge that, but for those with ALTs it's a hellish nightmare.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014

You realize that some of us have had multiple characters at level 60 for over a year already? And I've had no trouble with completing the prior campaigns on multiple characters previously, but this one is brutal.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Going to get the first book on Sunday. Then its time to make a choice. Getting the next book is 17 days of an hour a day not having fun, being bored and irritated. Or I could buy 45 bucks of zen convert to ad and then buy it from the auction house. My time is more valuable than that but my patience for being chiselled isn't monumental.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    It might sound silly, but 20-30min per char per day adds up pretty soon especially if you have the feeling that you wait way too long because of stupid design flaws. And it's way more than in any other module. It's pretty clear they purposely added a bit here and there to make this campaign more grindy than the ones before.

Again: The game is perfectly fine for those that play casually one char, I don't challenge that, but for those with ALTs it's a hellish nightmare.

Well I don't think requiring 5million AD or having incredible luck should be a requirement to finish a PVE campaign even with 1 toon.

I think that design is flawed