What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Something needs to be done about TOD dailies

Comments

• Options
    osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The rng of the artifact quest is annoying indeed .
    also that you have to wait to enter the dungeon or skirmish.
    But I dont see a problem with the boons. The last one is very powerful yes, but powerful things should somdtjmes be hard to get. Nobody needs these boons for content or to play the game in genral. These boons are designed for the hardcore players out there.
    R10s and perfects are way harder to get than these boons.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Everyday, when I come back home, I think of two things: 1) What do I need to have done at home today 2) I don't want to waste my time on doing ToD dailes after I get tired as I basically may fall asleep - . -
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My routine is to visit each dragon site and do the simple quest. If the dragon will arrive within three minutes and there are enough people around, then do the dragon. Otherwise move on to the next site. Takes about 20 minutes and you'll get at least 3 secrets and 2 sigils. Allows me to spend about an hour each day and make steady progress on three toons.
  • Options
    veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    I think the dragons should be changed to skirmish like events you can queue for. 5 people in instantly, and kill the dragon in like 10 to 13 minutes. Boom, no timer anymore.

very healthy idea. timers are just killing our time.
    since ToD released i started switching to my internet browser while waiting dragons..ye, the most action game ever, mmmkay..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tyranny of Dailies indeed :)

Fully support the speakers who advised about engaging the Ardent Coins in making this campaign faster.
    Also agree about adding sigils and secrets to the HE drops and ToS & LoL chests for those preferring the alternative route.

And more importantly. If the devs do read threads sometimes, I urge them not to drop the new module on our heads too soon. Just give us some time to adapt, to play in a non-stressed environment, to spend Zen for the things we already have before forcing us into new ones.

I do believe that people won't leave just because you don't MAKE them enjoy the new content. On the contrary, when they are overwhelmed with it they become frustrated and decide that it'd be better just to leave and forget this never-ending content waterfall that you don't have time enough to comprehend.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    TOD basically forced me to decide which of my 3 main toons would go all the way. My DC and GWF will likely never get their artifact weapons by the time Mod 5 comes. I've done enough to get them the first 3 boons which were easy to get, but that is a far as it goes. It can take nearly two hours to get my GF through a complete set of dailies. I don't have the time for this anymore. At the best of times it feels like I am starting a second job.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    @thestaggy - I agree. I knew that I wanted to level up an SW when Mod 4 hit so I started that process. I initially ran my HR and GF thru about a week of ToD dailies then gave up. I've essentially stripped them both of enchants, stopped playing them and put the enchants on my SW and started his grind for the boons. I've completed DR boons, have the last two in Shar, last one in IWD and the last two in ToD.

I don't have enough time (or patience) to work on three toons simultaneously. I only have a few hours in the evening and concentrating on one toon has lessened my stress level in this game.

I also wish they'd add a ToD chest to the 6-day Celestial box; give us maybe 5 secrets and 5 sigils. That would take some of the pressure off. Waiting on dragons blows but most of us do it because we want the belts. Do we need them - no; do we want them - yes. None of us need a pizza but they sure are tasty :)
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Don't mind him.

Anyway, due to the 4th and 5th boons being gated by RNG, people would need to do more than their fair share of dailies each day. The 4th and 5th boons cost around 140 pages, 200 sigils and 200 cult secrets as well as around 50k AD.

Rashy, do you even have time to do any dailies at all? Seems that you spend all of your spare time complaining here on the forums.

And yes I do understand how the campaign progression works. It will take a few months to get the final two boons if you only kill 1 dragon per day. But you know what? It also means that I don't stress about *having to kill dragons* when I don't, and it also means that I get to do things that I actually enjoy in the game.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    silence1x wrote: »
    Waiting on dragons blows but most of us do it because we want the belts. Do we need them - no; do we want them - yes. None of us need a pizza but they sure are tasty :)

After running two toons through IWD from day-1 and not getting the main hand item, and through DR from day-1 and one toon getting the eye right before mod 4 (pretty useless at this point), I've given up on items that you can get only on low drop rate rng. Its a fools gamble pretty much guaranteed to waste the time of 99.99% of the players.

I've created a third toon recently and only doing DR (rewards worth the time), and some TOD.
  • Options
    mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I like this game. I like to run dungeons and skirmishes. I do NOT like to do TOD dailies. In my opinion they are badly designed as they revolve around dragon timers. As has been noted numerous times in other posts, they way the last 2 boons are designed, the books are extremely rare drops and I am looking at needing 200 sigils and 200 cult secrets to buy the boons on EACH character I have. That amount of daily grinding is just not fun for this player, and I would imagine most other players. As it stands now, if I have 3 hours one night to play, I can be expected to spend well over 1.5 hours doing nothing but these TOD dailies.

It prevents me from doing the content I want to do - like running your content I enjoy - Shores of Tuern, Lair of Lostmauth, and any other dungeon I may want to do. Why do you seem intent on limiting the amount of time I have to play the content you designed for me to play?

Why not add cult secrets and sigils as rewards from the new skirmish and dungeon? That would allow an alternative method of obtaining these. Alternatively, please reduce the cost to buy the books by half. With a new module coming, I would like to be completely finished with this campaign so I can focus on new content.

Even 1 cult secret and 1 sigil from a successful LOL or SOT completion would be welcome.

Please - you are making me HATE dragons, when you are releasing more content about dragons.

Amen bro.

I hate most the thing the grinding with 5 per day of each means you need to grind for 40 days to get both and it takes about hour per character to do this and with even two characters it is basically all I have time to do each day.

Most frustrating thing about them is simply the fact that you need to run trough whole maps in many cases and even the closest ones are far from being close to the exit/entry point. Also the fact that you usually end up in instance with close 20 minutes until dragon time makes it worse and 2 minutes between instance changes isn't helping either.

Thus the dragon away times should be reduced to 10 minutes, there should be teleport to get into and out of the area, there should be alternate account bound versions of the books that can be bought with half the price (pleace keep unbound versions available at the current prices still for possible market operations) AND MAKE POSSIBLE TO MOVE TOKENS FROM ONE CHARACTER TO THE NEXT, so you can use those tons of useless vanguard scripts and fay sparks to boost your alternate characters.

This is my most hated campaign too just for the books. Previous was Sharandra for the hordes of Fay Sparks you need to get, which takes forever. Currently every new campaign makes it even more repulsive idea to create a new character,so please allow us to move atleast tokens from one character to other to atleast give some boost on their journeys.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • Options
    mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    These boons are designed for the hardcore players out there.
    R10s and perfects are way harder to get than these boons.

True, especially as all this time spent for the boons is away form gathering resources to get those R10's.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • Options
    dmolisher1dmolisher1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i wonder ... ?!?
    How many dragoncoins do you need to get a minidragon pet ?
    ANyone know if 5 k coins will spawn a greater dragon with a cool dropchance off awesome item ?

I am working on 2 k right now on 2 chars, i know alot off peops who have 3k or more coins.
    Seriously let me be able to use the k´s off coins on something usefull.

YA loads off dragonkills, and havent seen that fabled belt drop even once.
    I seriously think i got greater change off getting hit by falling aeroplane, than getting a belt on one off my chars.
    Bards are awesome ... music and great tales off adventures.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dmolisher1 wrote: »
    i wonder ... ?!?
    How many dragoncoins do you need to get a minidragon pet ?
    ANyone know if 5 k coins will spawn a greater dragon with a cool dropchance off awesome item ?

I am working on 2 k right now on 2 chars, i know alot off peops who have 3k or more coins.
    Seriously let me be able to use the k´s off coins on something usefull.

YA loads off dragonkills, and havent seen that fabled belt drop even once.
    I seriously think i got greater change off getting hit by falling aeroplane, than getting a belt on one off my chars.
    That pet? It's not Dragon Coins - it's Silvery Dragon Scales which are only available from the Lockbox. No amount of "just playing" will get you that pet, you've got to spend zen on keys to open boxes for a chance at getting the scales, to get the pet.

In point of fact Dragon Coins in and of themselves are useless. They drop in such quantities that they might as well not be a requirement for any of the campaign tasks as by the time you have enough of the other currencies you'll have at least twice as many coins as are necessary for whatever task your're working on.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I see a lot of people complaining about the grind introduced by all the new campaigns...My question to them is, then why do them? I find the game a lot of fun and why....because I only ever do dailies when I am in the mood for them. The fact is, there is nothing compelling about these campaigns, so why do them? We DON'T need the new gear, all the gear in the base game and to a lesser extent mod 1 and 2 is good enough to do everything and the base game provides enough entertainment without having to do all these new grinds. It is always fun to mess around with the base game, if you feel competent and have your basic t2 set, then try to solo some dungeons. Soloing dungeons is fun and rewarding, providing challenge to the player whilst not being a huge grind, (unlike mod 1, 3 and 4) as well as teaching the player how well they play. With my 14k gs CW and a friend who has a 12k gs CW we can 2 man the entire of CN and soon I am going to see if I can solo it, I don't have any disproportionately OP gear, I don't have over the top equipment and by doing things like this I find the game still enjoyable. On forums I see plenty of people complaining that they never have time to do dungeons because they, "have to do their dailies." That is completely irrational, no one is forcing you to do your dailies and it is certainly not a requirement to play this game, any obligation you feel to doing dailies is entirely within your mind, you can play this game without boon x and y, as of yet, there is nothing in this game that truly requires them. Now I know some of you have already stopped reading and scoff because I said 14k gs, well, at 14k gs you can essentially have everything you need to play the game with little hassle, anything beyond that is over gearing and the effort you must go to in order to acquire that gear doesn't make it worth the time. So really, resist the grind and stop complaining about it, there is nothing compelling about it and if devs see it isn't making them money anymore and that people don't mindlessly stop trudging through it, they might be forced to make more compelling content. As it stands though, as much as you complain, you still go ahead and play through the content, which tells the devs that even if you don't like the content, you will still play through it even if it in no way rewards you. As it is though, you have no right to complain about the grind, because there is no one forcing you to go ahead and do it, other then you yourself :)

Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, you do make a good argument.

I think the pull to get more boons is just a strong lure for the seasoned gamer. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's not how it works for a good % of the gamers. You want to sort of max out chars and that means doing the grind. If it gets too annoying, you don't just stop doing the dailies, you quit the game altogether and move on.

That's why players complain/warn/cry/whatever. Because the system drives off players. What you say is perfectly fine for a casual approach, but not for high-end/endgame ambitions. But we're already at a point where it's clear that casual players are indeed those the devs are aiming for, so the problem will probably sort out itself with most of the "upper class" leaving eventually and then nobody will complain.

I have an account with several 20k+ chars but haven't finished the latest campaign on any of them because of motivational reasons. I was away for a good week and right now it's very hard to get back to the game. Bad sign.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    It's not how it works for a good % of the gamers. You want to sort of max out chars and that means doing the grind. If it gets too annoying, you don't just stop doing the dailies, you quit the game altogether and move on.

This. Human nature is competitive by nature, as that is how we have survived this far as a race AND we are greedy as hell. We want everything for everything we own and most of us won't even have the patience to have it later than NOW. Even I can't count the number of games I have quited just because staying competitive takes so much effort or atleast that's what it feels like.

Anyways like the previous said, this problem probably solves itself by time and this isn't a bad thing. There is nothing like the feeling of your time being multiplied hundred times when you finally decide to quit game that has become too annoying. ;)
  • Options
    gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I see a lot of people complaining about the grind introduced by all the new campaigns...My question to them is, then why do them? I find the game a lot of fun and why....because I only ever do dailies when I am in the mood for them. The fact is, there is nothing compelling about these campaigns, so why do them? We DON'T need the new gear, all the gear in the base game and to a lesser extent mod 1 and 2 is good enough to do everything and the base game provides enough entertainment without having to do all these new grinds. It is always fun to mess around with the base game, if you feel competent and have your basic t2 set, then try to solo some dungeons. Soloing dungeons is fun and rewarding, providing challenge to the player whilst not being a huge grind, (unlike mod 1, 3 and 4) as well as teaching the player how well they play. With my 14k gs CW and a friend who has a 12k gs CW we can 2 man the entire of CN and soon I am going to see if I can solo it, I don't have any disproportionately OP gear, I don't have over the top equipment and by doing things like this I find the game still enjoyable. On forums I see plenty of people complaining that they never have time to do dungeons because they, "have to do their dailies." That is completely irrational, no one is forcing you to do your dailies and it is certainly not a requirement to play this game, any obligation you feel to doing dailies is entirely within your mind, you can play this game without boon x and y, as of yet, there is nothing in this game that truly requires them. Now I know some of you have already stopped reading and scoff because I said 14k gs, well, at 14k gs you can essentially have everything you need to play the game with little hassle, anything beyond that is over gearing and the effort you must go to in order to acquire that gear doesn't make it worth the time. So really, resist the grind and stop complaining about it, there is nothing compelling about it and if devs see it isn't making them money anymore and that people don't mindlessly stop trudging through it, they might be forced to make more compelling content. As it stands though, as much as you complain, you still go ahead and play through the content, which tells the devs that even if you don't like the content, you will still play through it even if it in no way rewards you. As it is though, you have no right to complain about the grind, because there is no one forcing you to go ahead and do it, other then you yourself :)

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    1. Because if you want to play NEW content that means you have to do the new campaigns to get to the new dungeons/skirms.
    2. Because progression through a game and improving your character through grinding have always been a part of what I enjoy about playing RPGs.
    That being said , sitting in the woods for two days killing slimes to gain exp and levels to kill that hard boss on Final Fantasy or w/e was not that bad. You could see what you were aiming for and make the call as to when you were done grinding.

Doing the same three mission over and over again for two months to get any progression is just a band aid put on to hide the fact that each module only has a few hours of actual new content. It is in no way fun after the first few days. With the introduction of the payed campaign completion it feels like they are adding boring content with the hope you will spend money in order to not have to play it.
    GREAT BUSINESS STRATEGY!!! (not)
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This. Human nature is competitive by nature, as that is how we have survived this far as a race AND we are greedy as hell. We want everything for everything we own and most of us won't even have the patience to have it later than NOW. Even I can't count the number of games I have quited just because staying competitive takes so much effort or atleast that's what it feels like.

Anyways like the previous said, this problem probably solves itself by time and this isn't a bad thing. There is nothing like the feeling of your time being multiplied hundred times when you finally decide to quit game that has become too annoying. ;)

Yep. Human nature is a beast . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I have done just what the OP suggests, and have stopped doing the grind. Of course, I am a more casual player. I don't play every day...more like every other day, for about 2 hours tops. I mostly do Foundries now, because, the direction this game is going does not suit what I am looking for in a game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I see a lot of people complaining about the grind introduced by all the new campaigns...My question to them is, then why do them?

Because they want to be the first to get the boon book and sell it on the AH for millions.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I HATE grinding but you know why I do them every day ? Because I'm a pvp player so I do "need" the gear and if I don't have the new gear, I'm at a disadvantage. If I only played for pve I would be fine but pvp is competitive and unfortunately if someone has better gear they will have more chance of winning. I really wish I didn't have to do them because I'm already sick of it lol and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get any good items out of dragon runs or skirmishes and keep getting the only artifact weapon I don't want. It will hopefully pay off one day :P
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Because they want to be the first to get the boon book and sell it on the AH for millions.

Yeah I know a few people who got a couple books and gems early, made 10's of mils in a few days, I tried to get them but of course RNG told me to go sit-n-twist ,|,,,

If you got alot of characters, these dailies are gonna be SUPER brutal, I reccomend focusing on them one character at a time to avoid being burned out. I have 7 toons and I ran them everyday to get the progress done, not something I consider "time well spent" to say the least..... Now I just run dailies on SW, CW, GWF or HR one or two per day. I will most likely end up giving up on this campaign because of the time or investment required to get the boons. Yeah sorry, I don't have 8m AD per toon to pay for boons.......

If the next campaigns are like this, this game will be a deserted ghost town within a month after....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014

That's why players complain/warn/cry/whatever. Because the system drives off players. What you say is perfectly fine for a casual approach, but not for high-end/endgame ambitions. But we're already at a point where it's clear that casual players are indeed those the devs are aiming for, so the problem will probably sort out itself with most of the "upper class" leaving eventually and then nobody will complain.

I have an account with several 20k+ chars but haven't finished the latest campaign on any of them because of motivational reasons. I was away for a good week and right now it's very hard to get back to the game. Bad sign.

I was going to type something up after reading the op but you literally said exactly what I would have. Right now with the grind the way it is with massive rng, or pay, to where you really aren't likely to earn things by gameplay. I don't have an issue with being able to pay to speed things up but the discrepancy between the speed you can get it by playing and then paying is too great with this mod. I have no issue paying for somethings but I like to earn most things thru gameplay. Right now I haven't logged in for a week, and just keeping hitting the forums once a day ish to see if something about mod 5 gets posted to see if things will get better.
  • Options
    razyldazlrazyldazl Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2014

The problem is the so called "end game" players are the minority of players. You are the players that power through all the content, no matter what MMO it is, then complain that there is nothing else to do. Then comes the doom and gloom of how the game is doomed, and all the players are leaving, even though there is no evidence of it. The truth is there is no pleasing the pwer players, or as you call them the endgame players. Because even when they add more content you blow through that and begin the whole cycle of complaining all over again. The OP has a legitimate point. And the most players, and by default the devs it is not a "bad sign" because a mere percent of the population doesnt get their demands met.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

But I don't get this either. Even if you take a "casual approach" to the ToD boons, you will still be able to max out your character. You just won't be able to do it *really really quickly*. Is that the issue? You want to be able to max out your character right away? And then what?

I agree with the OP, there is no need to rush to get the last 2 boons. They are nice but not essential.

I will kill 1 or maybe 2 dragons per day, because I want to do other things in the game. Yesterday, instead of killing 3 more dragons, I did Epic DV. It was really fun.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    razyldazl wrote: »
    The problem is the so called "end game" players are the minority of players. You are the players that power through all the content, no matter what MMO it is, then complain that there is nothing else to do. Then comes the doom and gloom of how the game is doomed, and all the players are leaving, even though there is no evidence of it. The truth is there is no pleasing the pwer players, or as you call them the endgame players. Because even when they add more content you blow through that and begin the whole cycle of complaining all over again. The OP has a legitimate point. And the most players, and by default the devs it is not a "bad sign" because a mere percent of the population doesnt get their demands met.
    pointsman wrote: »
    But I don't get this either. Even if you take a "casual approach" to the ToD boons, you will still be able to max out your character. You just won't be able to do it *really really quickly*. Is that the issue? You want to be able to max out your character right away? And then what?

I agree with the OP, there is no need to rush to get the last 2 boons. They are nice but not essential.

I will kill 1 or maybe 2 dragons per day, because I want to do other things in the game. Yesterday, instead of killing 3 more dragons, I did Epic DV. It was really fun.

It isn't just the boons it's everything. It's the belts that if you don't do hundreds upon hundreds of dragons/skirms you will never loot let alone loot the right one or win the roll. It's the books, it's the ridiculously un-fun design of sit and wait for the dragon to spawn 5x a day. This module is a horrible mix of things that just aren't fun. Having to afk for around fifty minutes a day instead of playing while waiting for a dragon is bad. Not being able to have a realistic chance of looting the items you want in the next year, bad. I just honestly can't say anything positive about the module what so ever.
  • Options
    razyldazlrazyldazl Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Your choosing to do that. No one is forcing you to sit and wait. And again, hate to break the news to you, but that has been the story of every MMO since the days of EQ. The difference being that at least then, people didn't complain about it. That was part of the quest, and the actual achievement of finally getting the item. Todays player just basically expects everything to be handedmto them with little to no effort. But even then I think people would THEN complain that everything is to easy, and there was no challenge.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So... you are suggesting that the challenge and difficulty in this game comes from being able to sit out boredom, and the effort we put in is measured in our ability to sit around watching numbers count down while resisting the urge to just go do something else?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia