test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GFs and KV....and supremacy of steel....

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    williep30 wrote: »
    The GF is forced to keep the shield up

That's the main cause for quick AP gain on GF's. The main way GF's gain AP is not from taking or dealing damage, it's from blocking damage with their shield. I don't build or recommend building AP gain on GF's because it is as simple as holding the shield up for a couple of seconds while sustaining heavy damage.

It's not the Supremacy of Steel or the KV. It's both while holding up the shield. If the GF is not blocking damage while using KV and SoS it will not result in anywhere near the same AP gain.

Certainly I can say removing the gain of AP from blocking damage received from Knight's Valor is an understandable approach.
    Impeding AP gain during the time Supremacy of Steel is up is not.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I just want to point out that using Guarded Assault, KV, and SoS in dungeons nets me the absolute bottom rank damage.

The differential between myself and any Thaum CW is a difference of 20-35 million damage.

Last night in Castle Never I did about 6 million while the top CW did 40 million. If it wasn't for SoS I did about 4 million damage. If it wasn't for Guarded Assault I do 1.5 million. So please, tell me more about how 'OP' GF is in PvE when TT is reflecting 50% team damage in an AoE and CW's can still toss back to back Oppressive Force.

For PvE it's in a good place. Nerf the brand spanking new glyph's before you put GF back into the 'who cares' pile for PvE please. It's finally a fun class to play after a year of being garbage in PvE.

Bottom Line: PvP was a joke before. PvP is a joke now. Stop complaining about PvP. It has no GS brackets and requires the absolute tip top gearing to even pretend to be competitive. If you want to cry and moan about a game mode with zero balance how about taking issue with those 8k GS people that got dropped onto your team when you're an 18k BiS maniac against a premade.

There are so many problems with PvP that class balance is the furthest possible thing from what needs to be fixed.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    That's the main cause for quick AP gain on GF's. The main way GF's gain AP is not from taking or dealing damage, it's from blocking damage with their shield. I don't build or recommend building AP gain on GF's because it is as simple as holding the shield up for a couple of seconds while sustaining heavy damage.

It's not the Supremacy of Steel or the KV. It's both while holding up the shield. If the GF is not blocking damage while using KV and SoS it will not result in anywhere near the same AP gain.

Certainly I can say removing the gain of AP from blocking damage received from Knight's Valor is an understandable approach.
    Impeding AP gain during the time Supremacy of Steel is up is not.

Im fine with that. It affords a trickier choice of play for the GF. Problem is, what about when they have both up? Can they(devs) make the distinction to basically halve the AP gain? Might be a bit tricky, tbh.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Im fine with that. It affords a trickier choice of play for the GF. Problem is, what about when they have both up? Can they(devs) make the distinction to basically halve the AP gain? Might be a bit tricky, tbh.

Many powers in various class kits do not generate AP. For instance Fox's Cunning and Boar Hide no longer generate AP. I couldn't imagine it being very hard to say that damage received from Knight's Valor does not count towards AP gain.

SoS would not be effected in the least because it will be generating (small) amounts of AP for doing damage and blocking or receiving damage from any form of direct damage would still generate AP which in truth is really not going to slow down AP generation much more than accounting for Knight's Valor damage. GF's are by far the easiest class to generate AP on.

Go cast Enforced Threat in the middle of an add heavy boss fight and raise the shield. Even if there is no AP gain feats, boons or powers selected it should be no problem generating full action points within a couple of seconds.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Many powers in various class kits do not generate AP. For instance Fox's Cunning and Boar Hide no longer generate AP. I couldn't imagine it being very hard to say that damage received from Knight's Valor does not count towards AP gain.

SoS would not be effected in the least because it will be generating (small) amounts of AP for doing damage and blocking or receiving damage from any form of direct damage would still generate AP which in truth is really not going to slow down AP generation much more than accounting for Knight's Valor damage. GF's are by far the easiest class to generate AP on.

Go cast Enforced Threat in the middle of an add heavy boss fight and raise the shield. Even if there is no AP gain feats, boons or powers selected it should be no problem generating full action points within a couple of seconds.

Oh no, im not disagreeing with that. But truth be told, certain powers no longer generate AP cuz they could be spammed without consequence. When beta went live, a bit before I decided to make a GF, I heard of infinite Villain's Menace builds, and didn't know why until someone told me soon after.

Although they may be the easiest, I don't consider it by much. My CW was capable of building AP at an alarming rate, and I never put max AP gain on him. Long before the cleric artifact, CN was easy because I almost had a daily by the time my Arcane Singularity went off.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just met a GF in 40-49 pvp that was using KV+SoS build (at that lvl lol). We won only because each of my teammates had dragon bone weapons, and my enemies didn't (except that GF). He was spamming SoS at that lvl, even when no one attacked him, how is that possible to have that AP gain from just perma blocking KV's damage? Fortunately, it was Rivenscar Ruins and he couldn't cover with KV the entire map.

So much fun.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    But every other class can still gain AP while theyre doing theyre daily, also an example. Plus, the cleric artifact allows certain classes(CW/DC/GWF/SW, for example) To also activate back to back dailies. Not to mention that Lurker's Assault keeps a TR in stealth for its duration, not to mention has a significant up time. Supremacy of Steel doesn't keep a GFs guard meter up. In fact, quite the opposite. The GF is forced to keep the shield up, draining their guard meter, because of team damage. Otherwise, that GF isn't alive long, is he? Lurker's Assault keeps the TR in stealth, and gives them increased damage in stealth.

When Supremacy of Steel and/or Knight's Valor give a GF infinite block for their duration, then ill make a comparison. Until then, theres more negative to running them over a TR running Lurker's Assault.

Which dailies do you gain AP while its active? I'm actually asking because I can't think of any natural ways (outside of maybe bait and switch) where someone gains AP while its active (I know the final warlock daily gives AP, not sure about others). I haven't checked/tested this in a while so I forgot what does.
  • Options
    rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    my main problem with this is that SoS reflects damage from KV, damage other people are taking

that can't be WAI

especially with how it's pretty much up all the time
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Which dailies do you gain AP while its active? I'm actually asking because I can't think of any natural ways (outside of maybe bait and switch) where someone gains AP while its active (I know the final warlock daily gives AP, not sure about others). I haven't checked/tested this in a while so I forgot what does.

I just mean about gaining AP by attacking while its running. Singularity for CWs, Hallowed Ground for DCs, Slam for GWFs, to name a few.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rotatorkuf wrote: »
    my main problem with this is that SoS reflects damage from KV, damage other people are taking

that can't be WAI

especially with how it's pretty much up all the time

But that's what youre not understanding. Youre taking damage from the enemies, and THAT is whats getting deflected. I was using SoS/KV long before it was a problem. It was just limited by its uptime, and a more risky move back then. Before mod4, if you raised your shield during KV, your guard went away FAST. So, when I used KV/SoS, I didn't guard at all. I let the DC keep me up, and took the damage. But it also got me killed a lot with dumb teammates...

The only thing that gets me is that its okay for dps classes like the HR/CW/SW to have 1/3 of their damage done through passive powers, yet a reflecting damage based GF is screamed about.

The dailies' uptime is wrong. It shouldn't be happening that often. I get that.

Holding shift until enemies die isn't WAI. I get that too.

But is it really that hard to also focus on the GF, stun him to cancel KV, and kill him?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Perfectly explained williep30.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Perfectly explained williep30.

Was that sarcasm? Im not mad, I just cant tell. Its too early in the morning for arguing...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No, I agree completely.

As I said a few pages back GF's gain AP by blocking damage. It's the holding up the shield with Knight's Valor which generates AP that fast.

It's not generating off of SoS dealing damage. It's not even necessarily the damage being taken from KV.

It is everything together but the biggest single factor is blocking the damage being received.

But then the elephant in the room is, as said earlier, not the powers. It's the glyphs. I faced a GF that I shot twice with rapid shot from half HP and ended up at 10% HP. He reflects more damage than he takes...
    Which is the issue with focusing the GF. The ones which cause these complaints aren't doing the refelct damage due to indefinite SoS, although it helps, but rather because of glyphs and all of the reflect working in unison.

So the only thing I can point out that I somewhat disagree with is being able to simply focus the GF. If the GF is geared in BiS defense items and glyphs it's not uncommon to be better off taking a nap in the base than to feed him kills. As I said earlier on I have faced GF's who just sit still and do nothing but reflect more damage than they receive.
    But that's not SoS, that's several things made infinitely worse with glyphs working in tandem.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Was that sarcasm? Im not mad, I just cant tell. Its too early in the morning for arguing...

I think it was serious. You did a good write up.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No, I agree completely.

As I said a few pages back GF's gain AP by blocking damage. It's the holding up the shield with Knight's Valor which generates AP that fast.

It's not generating off of SoS dealing damage. It's not even necessarily the damage being taken from KV.

It is everything together but the biggest single factor is blocking the damage being received.

But then the elephant in the room is, as said earlier, not the powers. It's the glyphs. I faced a GF that I shot twice with rapid shot from half HP and ended up at 10% HP. He reflects more damage than he takes...
    Which is the issue with focusing the GF. The ones which cause these complaints aren't doing the refelct damage due to indefinite SoS, although it helps, but rather because of glyphs and all of the reflect working in unison.

So the only thing I can point out that I somewhat disagree with is being able to simply focus the GF. If the GF is geared in BiS defense items and glyphs it's not uncommon to be better off taking a nap in the base than to feed him kills. As I said earlier on I have faced GF's who just sit still and do nothing but reflect more damage than they receive.

Yea, I agree that that's too much. I like the "reflect" based defense build(not to be a hipster, but i tried it before it was cool :) ), and it had a great AP build back then too. Its only cuz the glyphs and combination thereof reflecting too much, as well as the fact that FINALLY guard isn't broken if a leaf gets blown at it, that's bringing more attention to it now.

Like proccing damage feats like CWs Assailing Force, and HRs Prey, they don't need to take it away. Its just doing too much damage right now.
  • Options
    spike0337spike0337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Ap gain is to much.But the reflected dmg is to much to. I've killed dps class by just standing there blocking,I'd loss maybe half HP before they die.To me that's wrong.If I'm reflecting the dmg back at them I should not reflect more dmg then I'm taking.My GF only has 37k hp so if I loss Half that that's only 18.5 HP and I'm sure most ppl are running with more then that.So there needs to be something to stop that much dmg being reflected.Maybe a cool down on it,like maybe reflects every 2 sec or something like that.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Yes, it is. Especially since they broke block a few patches ago, so chill stacks no longer pass through it. Prior to that, it was feasible for a CW to counter a GF by freezing and then stunning him. After they broke block, the only way to accomplish that is basically to outnumber the GF, or if the GF is bad and doesn't maneuver well. A GWF could possibly still do it, but again it requires the GF to not be good at footwork. DCs, HRs and SWs don't get any stuns.

Basically, only one class had a viable counter to consistently be able to stun a GF that plays well (which means the ability wasn't well balanced to begin with in any case), and they broke that rather than fix the real issues in the game.

DC you're right on.

HR has boars rush, it has it's problems but it's there.

SW has a prone in harrowstorm
  • Options
    frufirefrufire Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There needs to be some way to separate PvP skills from PvE. I don't PvP so I can't comment however for the first time I am enjoying being in dungeon groups because with KV up I am helping to take damage off the rest of the group whilst holding the aggro. I pop SOS to proc Steel Defense, heal up and go again. I would say the AP generation is about right as you need to be able to proc SD off your daily.
    This is probably an unfair criticism but I only ever see changes based on what PvP want and not the other way around.
    Until there is some way to separate the mechanics this is going to go back an forth.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No fun allowed.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yes, it is. Especially since they broke block a few patches ago, so chill stacks no longer pass through it. Prior to that, it was feasible for a CW to counter a GF by freezing and then stunning him. After they broke block, the only way to accomplish that is basically to outnumber the GF, or if the GF is bad and doesn't maneuver well. A GWF could possibly still do it, but again it requires the GF to not be good at footwork. DCs, HRs and SWs don't get any stuns.

Basically, only one class had a viable counter to consistently be able to stun a GF that plays well (which means the ability wasn't well balanced to begin with in any case), and they broke that rather than fix the real issues in the game.

I understand that. But don't you see why they made it so CWs couldn't stack chill on blocking GFs? The GF(both pre and post(but before the chill stack change)) was the easiest target for a CW, weren't they?

Too slow to reach them? Check.
    Forced to guard(and move slower) or not guard and die? Check.
    Stacking chill even though they were blocking and freezing them? Check.
    Block STILL kind of buggy, so not always reliable? Check.

Im sorry, ive been on both ends of the spectrum. Hardest fight for my GF was a CW. Easiest fight for my CW was a GF.

2v1 versus a GF was easy mode. Shield doesn't work if an enemy is flanking you. Ive seen those funny fights where a GF was getting flanked, and just stood there and died, cuz he was screwed no matter which enemy he picked.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    2v1, any fight is easy if opponents are of the same gear and skill level.

As for the rest, that's just bait. GF vs CW was a relatively balanced match-up for most of the game. The point is that the developers very recently broke one of the foremost counters to Knight's Valor by allowing GFs to block chill, which was a pretty important step in putting it on top the way it is now. If CWs could still freeze and stun GFs, people would be able to counter it more easily. The other classes that have access to stuns are GFs and GWFs, neither of which has an easy time getting behind the block of a GF currently, especially one that maneuvers well. GWFs are probably fast enough and have the sprint immunity to do so, but may have to deal with other issues. The bottom line is that the reason people "simply" don't stun GFs to cancel KV is because it's quite hard to do so unless the GF is bad or has a bad team, and it requires certain other classes to be present and have the ability to inflict stuns, which isn't always the case either.

1v1, a GF has NEVER been a match for a CW until now. Unless they surprised the CW. The CW can start their rotations before the GF even gets into lunging strike range. Before now, do you even realize how fast guard broke? It was a joke. Not to mention holding shield caused you to walk sooo slowly, you might as well have not blocked at all. Can anyone truly say that if a CW fought someone who didn't use CC immunities, it would be a hard fight for the CW?
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They can cause heavy lag and severe shakes of screen. When that happens, it's very hard to play.

Seriously, change SoS back to what it is supposed to be. Please Look it up in PHB.
  • Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I understand that. But don't you see why they made it so CWs couldn't stack chill on blocking GFs? The GF(both pre and post(but before the chill stack change)) was the easiest target for a CW, weren't they?

Too slow to reach them? Check.
    Forced to guard(and move slower) or not guard and die? Check.
    Stacking chill even though they were blocking and freezing them? Check.
    Block STILL kind of buggy, so not always reliable? Check.

Im sorry, ive been on both ends of the spectrum. Hardest fight for my GF was a CW. Easiest fight for my CW was a GF.

2v1 versus a GF was easy mode. Shield doesn't work if an enemy is flanking you. Ive seen those funny fights where a GF was getting flanked, and just stood there and died, cuz he was screwed no matter which enemy he picked.

2v1 if the opponents outflank the GF to bypass block, he should die. How else are they supposed to counter him then?
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am by no means the best GF but I would say I am not the worst by far :).

- The problem currently, GF's back themselves into corner at mid, and can 5v1 people lol. Sure, if the group is smart, they find a way to take out his KV, but lets be real, that is too much work for most people, just look how many HR's and CW's we have this mod, thinking is not something people do very well here.

- I have been able to 1v1 about 95% of all CW's in pvp since I started this game (as a GF). The top 10 CW's maybe were good enough to keep chill stacks on me, use their shard well, and kill me. But that took some serious skill, and REALLY good timing.

- Mod 4 - made CW's able to beat GF's with absolutely no effort. Zero skill was involved, and against a good CW you were going to lose.

"But I saw ******* beat a CW" ---- "But I beat a CW" ..... he wasn't good, or it was an exception, time to realize that.

For the last few weeks, GF's have been able to murder CW's with reflect on, and there is nothing they can do, Cryptic ruined our prones, so we had to adapt and change our play style since stuns suck, they get deflected or miss and we lose charges and after a miss we'd be frozen and in 1 rotation the CW will kill us. So we started using Guarded assault and KV and the majority of CW's just kept on holding left click and died again and again, HR's kept doing their same rotations and dying, GWF's are still face mashing but they are another story, and everyone just kept dying. No one besides a few ever realized, FOCUS THE GF, you remove his KV and you basically have a 5v4.

Now that reflect is nerfed for the GF's and the Glyphs still work for everyone else VERY well, you guys will see more balanced PVP. HR's will kill people with 1 careful attack, 1 boar rush, and 1 fox shift, CW's will kill people with a few seconds of icy rays, a daily, or maybe they might use an encounter power if they wanna be proactive. DC's will keep on using their laser beam to proc glyphs and murdering people, and TR's who feel like not being invisble all the time will use glyphs with flurry and kill people in 1 flurry lol. So basically 1 by 1 every class will get nerfed rather than Crypic realizing their enchant is broken and putting an ICD on it.

- All I ask - GF's who have no clue, stop posting. We have been able to beat CW's since the beginning, one bull, one lunging, one frontline, block and try and close the gap through their choke and you have a bull and lunging back and you repeat maybe 3x usually only 2 if you had good damage and the CW was dead, if you had a daily, in mod 1-2 you could 1 rotation a CW every single time. So stop saying the chills not stackign while we block is broken, you sound like an idiot. Just let these changes go through and the QQ will shift to alllll the other classes or maybe we could ask for an ICD on them so we don't all get nerfed even more.

Up to you.
  • Options
    bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ran into a premade of 5 GFs. Worst part was dropping to 5 frames per sec every fight.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They can cause heavy lag and severe shakes of screen. When that happens, it's very hard to play.

Seriously, change SoS back to what it is supposed to be. Please Look it up in PHB.

It has been working like that since beta, but before M4 using KV was too risky in PvP, because your block dropped to quickly. Now, when the block lasts basically forever, this build has become FOTM.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz