test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Acceptable Gear Score for Valindra's Tower?

skyvalker64skyvalker64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi,

So yesterday I queued for VT finally, after coming back from a long break and being able to craft VT key. I was vote kicked for "low GS". My GS was 11.2k and I am a DC.

So, how much is acceptable for VT?
Post edited by skyvalker64 on

Comments

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Well, you are bumping along a bit close to minumum there.

I'd suggest two things:

1) Go with people from nw_legit_community. They don't fret about GS, if it's enough to get in.

2) Your GS does sound a little low, and I am guessing that you haven't done a lot of t2.5. That being the case, I'd bet that your HP is way too low. In the Valindra fight, there's a lot of damage that you can't dodge, and just need to soak. Try to get your HP as high as you can, and have a bit of defense too. Try for at least 25k HP and maybe 1500 def minimum, otherwise you won't be terribly useful, as you'll keep dying in the last boss fight, and won't be able to do anything. DCs don't have an assigned area for coffer clicking in the last fight normally, so the group can usually carry a dead DC- but I'm sure you don't want to just accept charity- right?

Hope that helps.
  • skyvalker64skyvalker64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Well, you are bumping along a bit close to minumum there.

I'd suggest two things:

1) Go with people from nw_legit_community. They don't fret about GS, if it's enough to get in.

2) Your GS does sound a little low, and I am guessing that you haven't done a lot of t2.5. That being the case, I'd bet that your HP is way too low. In the Valindra fight, there's a lot of damage that you can't dodge, and just need to soak. Try to get your HP as high as you can, and have a bit of defense too. Try for at least 25k HP and maybe 1500 def minimum, otherwise you won't be terribly useful, as you'll keep dying in the last boss fight, and won't be able to do anything. DCs don't have an assigned area for coffer clicking in the last fight normally, so the group can usually carry a dead DC- but I'm sure you don't want to just accept charity- right?

Hope that helps.

Currently, I have slotted radiant enchantments (rank 6s) in all defense slots and lesser soulforged in the armor enchantment slot. I am missing a stone though, will a geared up stone of allure provide the remaining GS and defensive stats that you recommended? Currently at 22k HP and 1200 defense.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Augment pets inflate your stats, but will not increase your gear score.
  • teleroguetelerogue Banned Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    According to most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it's 14K

But really you need 12K at minimum to beat it with some adequate team work of course.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    The other thing you can do is work on getting the first few boons- that won't cost you anything, and will help your stats (and secondarily, your GS) a bit. Also.. those artifact slots- are they all full? Do you have access to the GWF artifact? etc.

Really though, your GS number is secondary to having the right stats. People who have 17k but crappy HP will still fail. I'd strongly suggest you go with people from the legit channel- they won't complain about your GS if it's high enough to get in, and you're civil.

Oh, and Armor(sic) Reinforcement Kits from the auction house/crafting! They go on your armour, one on each of four pieces. They are a single use though, so don't use the epic ones on stuff that you're planning to replace any time soon. There are +HP ones, and various other bits. I think they're under "consumable" or something.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Honestly, life steal is a bit more important than raw hit points in the VT fight. She'll be constantly shooting you with magic missiles, which are going to hit for about 4-6k damage on a regular basis. Being able to quickly heal yourself up after each barrage is pretty key to surviving that fight. The battle is also more about skill and coordination, and less about raw pewpewpewpew. The reason you need to stay alive is because it takes everyone popping caskets as to not spawn wights, which makes the fight significantly more difficult than it has to be.

If you have a DC with you (and you should, unless you're in a totally ridiculously geared group), he's going to be able to spot heal you when you get choked or caught in the hand, so the big HP pool isn't super necessary. 22k HP is pretty solid for a gear score around 12k.

EDIT: And just noticed your a DC. And you're getting kicked? That's pretty silly. As a DC, you can use your AS underneath people as they get grabbed by the hand, or if they're low on health to keep them alive, and a divine powered healing word to spot heal people AND yourself. If you have a lot of melee or people close to Valindra, Forgemaster's also works pretty good for the fight. Our guild has cleared it pretty easily with a sub 12k GS DC.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Oh, and Armor(sic) Reinforcement Kits from the auction house/crafting! They go on your armour, one on each of four pieces. They are a single use though, so don't use the epic ones on stuff that you're planning to replace any time soon. There are +HP ones, and various other bits. I think they're under "consumable" or something.

The Armor Kits are under Consumables -> Armor Kits.

For newer players the green ones give +25 stat points and are usually between 2500 to 5000 AD so are useful for a small boost after you have got as good enchants as you can afford. Wait until you get Rank 6s though as before it is better to upgrade your enchants.

Also I feel that after getting rank 6 or at most rank 7 enchants a new PvE player should try to save to buy a Lesser Soulforged and then buy a Lesser Terror or Plaguefire whichever is cheaper (usually the Lesser Plaguefire especially if a new lockbox has just come out). Make sure you buy these or make them with a BOUND Coal Ward from the weekly coffers as it is far more expensive to make these yourself with bought Coal Wards.
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd suggest you not to run VT until you have successfully completed all T2s, and you have the first 3 boons of each campaign, which means you'd have a of GS 14+.

11.2K is way too low. Even if some groups would accept you, you'd be carried, basically. Also, as a DC you should have around 2.5K of defense. Much less than that and you'll be dying all the time, specially in VT.
  • nathanmehew2435nathanmehew2435 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rlrobr wrote: »
    I'd suggest you not to run VT until you have successfully completed all T2s, and you have the first 3 boons of each campaign, which means you'd have a of GS 14+.

11.2K is way too low. Even if some groups would accept you, you'd be carried, basically. Also, as a DC you should have around 2.5K of defense. Much less than that and you'll be dying all the time, specially in VT.

And you are wrong you don't need 2.5k defense as a DC it just makes it easier 1.5k - 2k is plenty and getting carried isn't that bad
    I would suggest you DO run VT with a group of people that don't mind carrying you. Once again there is nothing wrong with getting carried. However a recommended GS i would personally say is 13k, But 11k is still enough to be semi-usefull.
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't go into VT, MC or CN with party of less than 15k. This is simply for the reason that with lower scored parties it take longer to get to the boss and even worse, there is no guarantee the party DPS is high enough to complete the dungeon, as you have many times no idea about how good the players are or what does happen during the battle.

So not only does it take longer, but with increased chances for this time being wasted for nothing, I must sadly say no for such parties. This also goes for my secondary characters that I don't even try to go to any epic dungeons with them until they have atleast 15k GS, but luckily after you have your first character at 15k+ range, getting the second character there is much faster thanks for your increased resource gathering possibilities.

If this makes me elitist, so be it, but I rather see others wait until they have good chances to succeed than waste my time on unsuccesful runs just so that somebody can try.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014

Seriously? I ran VT, MC, KR and even LoL much sooner than I got epic DV done for the first time, as there is so few decent players with decent GS going there. The dungeon is quite horrible for every possible way, as it is really long, the enemies are though and do high damage in addition of the stuns, no shortcuts and perhaps the hardest boss in the game without exactly right party composition and huge possibility for atleast one member to die in the beginning for the tentacles, no boss drop for the epic version and loot is utter trash.

I wouldn't even dream going there again with party of anyone having less than 14k GS and even then I would atleast hesitate (and probably not go). VT, CN and MC would be much easier decisions even with weak parties to try...
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't go into VT, MC or CN with party of less than 15k. This is simply for the reason that with lower scored parties it take longer to get to the boss and even worse, there is no guarantee the party DPS is high enough to complete the dungeon, as you have many times no idea about how good the players are or what does happen during the battle.

I did it on my 11.5K CW and I out damaged everyone else in the group (including 17K CW's).

GS is a lie. Too many people achieve this higher GS by using split sets and clearly don't understand how to achieve DPS in the game. A CW with 10K and the HV set is a bigger asset to the run than a 17K CW running split sets and who knows what rotation....

That being said a 17K CW that doesn't know what they are doing is probably better than an 11.5K CW that doesn't know what they are doing either.

I should also add that it is pretty hard (though not impossible) to get over 17K on a CW without running T2.5/split sets (instead of HV). If I see someone in lfg as a CW with a GS over 17K, unless I know what they are running, I stay far away from them.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ashnvf wrote: »
    That being said a 17K CW that doesn't know what they are doing is probably better than an 11.5K CW that doesn't know what they are doing either.

This being the point of inflated GS requests for /Zone. The GS required must be ridiculously high since the assumption is the skill of the player is totally unknown.
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I did it on my 11.5K CW and I out damaged everyone else in the group (including 17K CW's).

You must be awesome. Can I be like you when I grow up? ;)

There is no possible way a 11.5K CW can out damage a 17K CW, unless the 17K CW has absolutely no idea how to play his class or he is simply AFK for half of the run.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well 11k is enough but you have to know how to play your character. Don't worry most new players don't. I've had my fair share of wipes with my DC for a week or two when VT was released and I had something like 12k GS back then. Learning ho to overcome the challenge and help my team as a cleric was the most rewarding experience. I've done it so many times I can now reliably predict who's going to be held, who she's going to make bounce like a piece of meat - it's just a script after all and it's definitely using player's input.

I urge you to stop using LFG. Most people there are bad. Get in a guild with at most 15-20 people (they're the best ones usually) and they will show you the way. Legit is fine but there are elitists jerks like me there, beware! ;) It's not a charity it's just a place for people who don't want to cheat. If you have issues in VT and still don't want to join a guild then you can send me an in-game mail (I don't read forum ones) and i'll give you some advice as long as you've been there at least 3-4 times to know what I'm talking about.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You must be awesome. Can I be like you when I grow up? ;)

There is no possible way a 11.5K CW can out damage a 17K CW, unless the 17K CW has absolutely no idea how to play his class or he is simply AFK for half of the run.

If you want to be like me when you grow up then I suggest you gain an understanding of how the game works and what GS doesn't give you. It certainly doesn't make up for a poor feat selection and it doesn't make up for a poor encounter selection and rotation.

For starters I had a P Lightning enchant (that doesn't factor into GS so I didn't mention it earlier) and my rotation and feats were optimized for DPS. This isn't my main CW. GS doesn't mean anything if your rotation and feats are not set up correctly.

Secondly, the vast majority of these folks running split sets and all that bought their gear, probably played the class for a week and might as well be playing a TR in terms of their ability to do AOE damage.

Finally, my post wasn't a brag, but I guess it hurt your ego, it was to point out the stupidity of assuming someone with an 11.5K GS can't and shouldn't do VT.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And you are wrong you don't need 2.5k defense as a DC it just makes it easier 1.5k - 2k is plenty and getting carried isn't that bad
    I would suggest you DO run VT with a group of people that don't mind carrying you. Once again there is nothing wrong with getting carried. However a recommended GS i would personally say is 13k, But 11k is still enough to be semi-usefull.

Are you kidding, if I'm in a run and I get carried it's horrible. It means you were worthless for the run and didn't help. I'd rather wipe and not complete than get carried.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you want to be like me when you grow up then I suggest you gain an understanding of how the game works and what GS doesn't give you. It certainly doesn't make up for a poor feat selection and it doesn't make up for a poor encounter selection and rotation.

For starters I had a P Lightning enchant (that doesn't factor into GS so I didn't mention it earlier) and my rotation and feats were optimized for DPS. This isn't my main CW. GS doesn't mean anything if your rotation and feats are not set up correctly.

Secondly, the vast majority of these folks running split sets and all that bought their gear, probably played the class for a week and might as well be playing a TR in terms of their ability to do AOE damage.

Finally, my post wasn't a brag, but I guess it hurt your ego, it was to point out the stupidity of assuming someone with an 11.5K GS can't and shouldn't do VT.

Agreed 100%...I do dungeons on my CW with a 12.6k gs atm and I first finished VT with a gs of 11k, with a group whereby we all had 11k...I out dps 9/10 people I play with regardless of their gs, even those with gs up to 19k. How do I manage this? for the reasons ashnvf pointed out, they either don't know how to play their class and use bad gear, or have the wrong feats and abilities slotted for it. Also, it is easy to inflate your GS by using the incorrect armour and weapons without actually using the correct armour and weapons for your build, a high gs doesn't necessarily indicate a good player or build, it just indicates a high GS.
  • crewellcrewell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I ran it last night with my ranger who has a 12.5k gs with no issues. The rest of the group had scores in the 15k range.
    edited September 2014
    Keep in mind that a CW should NEVER have a higher GS than 17.5k or so and a cleric 16.5k. People having higher GS are what we call "GS w****s". They will shamelessly equip 2x 2/4 sets, use full GS artifacts and GS companions. All the good companions don't increase your GS. All of the good sets are used because of the 4 pts bonus. Most of the good artifacts but one will only increase two of your GS stats.

If it's higher then you can be **** sure the guy is a sucker.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that a CW should NEVER have a higher GS than 17.5k or so and a cleric 16.5k. People having higher GS are what we call "GS w****s". They will shamelessly equip 2x 2/4 sets, use full GS artifacts and GS companions. All the good companions don't increase your GS. All of the good sets are used because of the 4 pts bonus. Most of the good artifacts but one will only increase two of your GS stats.

Question on this. I've never paid attention to what increases my GS, are you saying that some of the stats on artifacts don't increase GS?
    edited September 2014

My DC using full HP and a DC artifact (only 2 stats) has a GS of 16.9K and I could be over 17K easily if I used greater armor kits.
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Question on this. I've never paid attention to what increases my GS, are you saying that some of the stats on artifacts don't increase GS?

Most of the times the 3rd stat doesn't increase your GS.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »

Things like control bonus or incoming healing are not factored into gear score.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

You're VERY wrong.

My CW has about 18.5K in HV set and basically DPS +Power gear/Int Belt/Gelid Eye wep.

If I equip my Purified/Corrupted PvP setup, I go to 19.3k GS or so. I don't even have all R10s, just 4 to be exact.

All this while not using any companions that inflate stats or 2/2 <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or Hrimnir/shore set etc.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The amount of GS you can get without resorting to false inflation keeps going up. Every module is a new set of boons, after all. At least some of them add GS.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The amount of GS you can get without resorting to false inflation keeps going up. Every module is a new set of boons, after all. At least some of them add GS.

Yes, and it's not "just GS", i.e. gear for the sake of high GS. You can easily get very high GS but merely equipping BiS gear. Boons, artis, wep, belt, BI gear, all contribute.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd say your GS is fine. As some other people have said I'd recommend joining the legit channel (full info in my sig). We don't care about gearscore as long as its high enough to meet cryptic's requirements to queue for the dungeon. And honestly, that's all you need. These people that require tons more GS are just being dumb and elitist in my opinion. Its why I won't play with anyone requiring a GS that's obsurdly high even though I always meet their requirements.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Keep in mind that a CW should NEVER have a higher GS than 17.5k or so and a cleric 16.5k.

That may have been correct a while back, but those numbers are probably higher today, I don't know about CWs, but as far as the DC is concerned, well...18K is perfectly reasonable, even when using the HP set and useful companions like the Rust monster. If the DC stats are above 20K then yeah... something is wrong.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited September 2014

GS is a lie. Too many people achieve this higher GS by using split sets and clearly don't understand how to achieve DPS in the game. A CW with 10K and the HV set is a bigger asset to the run than a 17K CW running split sets and who knows what rotation....

I should also add that it is pretty hard (though not impossible) to get over 17K on a CW without running T2.5/split sets (instead of HV). If I see someone in lfg as a CW with a GS over 17K, unless I know what they are running, I stay far away from them.

CW has been pretty much previously an exception to any rules, but I still wonder how you stayed alive in VT/MC/CN/LoL with <12k GS CW. She hits pretty hard and by my experience less than 12k CWs tend to go down pretty fast there. You must have been hagin a really good party.

Out DPSing CW doesn't tell anything, as my post-4th CW is group buffer/debuffer and her damage has gone south considerably since the patch compared to others. My CW boosts everybody's stats, chill causes universal +5% damage on affected mobs, I use GPF that reduces DR by 45% for everyone and in bosses Ray of Enfeeble affects also everybody and I use Lillend for the sole purpose of giving 1% healing to everybody every time I use dailies, which is plenty.. With perfect vorpal you probably would out DPS me with 12k GS easily, but that doesn't still mean I wouldn't much rather take similar mage as mine into party when I play my alts.

I understand well your point about GS, but frankly my CW was 15k CW pre-patch and respec increased it to 16k and I am 17k currently, still using my Profound PvP set, as my Corrupt Black Ice set draws too much juice for my liking and still haven't been able to gather full HV set. Also not knowing the skills of the one I am looking for my party, I would choose the 17k CW in place of 12k CW, as that 5000 difference in GS usually translates to either higher damage or better survivability, no matter is it get by double set or not.

PS. I have seen over 20k CWs with full sets, so I wouldn't worry too much about 17k CWs.